Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In a Federal case wouldn't the prosecutor have to turn over those photos to defense? Anyone know for sure?
I am not a lawyer, and I do not know for sure, however, after nosing around a little I landed upon The Brady Rule. Oh, and, most states have adopted the Federal Rules of Evidence, as opposed to vice versa.

Here is one good explanation of The Brady Rule:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/brady_rule

"The Brady Rule, named for Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963), requires prosecutors to disclose materially exculpatory evidence in the government's possession to the defense. "Brady material" or evidence the prosecutor is required to disclose under this rule includes any evidence favorable to the accused-- evidence that goes towards negating a defendant's guilt, that would reduce a defendant's potential sentence, or evidence going to the credibility of a witness." ... more ...

Includes a link to a synopsis of the Brady v. Maryland case. I bolded the part that I think could be applicable in this case, specifically regarding the photos showing Tsarnaev giving up.

Maybe a real lawyer could tell us.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's first birthday in prison! 20 today! I am certain he didn't think he would be celebrating his 20th birthday in a federal prison. JMO

Family of Slain MIT Officer Releases Statement of Support for State Police Photographer Sgt. Sean Murphy

STATEMENT OF THE FAMILY OF MIT POLICE OFFICER SEAN COLLIER IN SUPPORT OF SGT SEAN MURPHY

We, the family of slain MIT Police Officer, Sean Collier, were fortunate to get to know Sgt. Sean Murphy in the days following Sean’s death. Sgt. Murphy was a member of the dedicated contingent of Massachusetts State Police Officers who are responsible for helping families plan and organize the funerals of police officers killed in the line of duty. With the help of Sgt. Murphy, his fellow State Police, and the officers of the MIT Police Department, our family was able to get through those dark days.

We believe that Sgt. Murphy’s motives were selfless when he released the photos, taken the night after our son and brother was murdered and the terrorist was apprehended. In our opinion, he has been sufficiently punished. Sgt. Murphy wanted to right what he and many in Boston and around the country saw as a wrong, and to counter the aggrandizement of terrorism by Rolling Stone magazine. Terrorists are not rock stars and they should not be rewarded with fame and magazine covers. The real heroes are the law enforcement officers, first responders, and victims of this terror. It is they who should be honored.

Images are very powerful and they have the ability to shape our thoughts and actions. The images from the night that we lost Sean are now burned in our memories. No amount of fluffing and buffing will make them softer. We are sure that all the other Marathon victims have similar images. It’s too bad Rolling Stone only wanted to portray the face of evil.

The ongoing support of the family of police officers who we have come to know these past three terrible months, including Sgt Murphy, is something we will never be able to repay.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/...nt-state-police-photographer-sgt-sean-murphy/

Police photographer who leaked bomber photos placed on 'desk duty '

BOSTON (RNN) - A photographer with the Massachusetts State Police is assigned to desk duty, according to CNN and the AP, as punishment for releasing photos of the capture of alleged Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=22911360

You want to know why Murphy did what he did, releasing photos of a bloodied and beaten Dzhokhar Tsarnaev? It wasn’t complicated: He did it for 
Bauman, and for wounded MBTA cop Dic Donohue, and for the still-grieving family of slain MIT officer Sean Collier. He did it for Martin Richard and 
Krystle Campbell and Lingzi Lu. He did it for the hundreds of bombings victims who now have something in common beyond the scars that’ll never heal: Their names were never mentioned in that 11,000-word Rolling Stone cover story.

bbm

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...ngs_the_focus_back_on_boston_marathon_bombing

Sounds like a dam# good reason to me.jmo

You want to know why Murphy did what he did, releasing photos of a bloodied and beaten Dzhokhar Tsarnaev? It wasn’t complicated: He did it for Bauman, and for wounded MBTA cop Dic Donohue, and for the still-grieving family of slain MIT officer Sean Collier. He did it for Martin Richard and Krystle Campbell and Lingzi Lu. He did it for the hundreds of bombings victims who now have something in common beyond the scars that’ll never heal: Their names were never mentioned in that 11,000-word Rolling Stone cover story.

bbm

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinio...ngs_the_focus_back_on_boston_marathon_bombing

Sounds like a dam# good reason to me.jmo

I agree!

How about surrendered? Seems an appropriate term considering he was in the boat hiding from the 100 plus or minus police officers who surrounded the boat with weapons pointed at him. So surrendered might be the better word because he had no choice if he wanted to live.

I think a lot can be learned from this young man because he does not appear to be radical and may cooperate. Time will tell. Give the system a chance to work. In the meantime articles about him give us insight into who he was before he involved himself with his brother, who definitely appears to be the radical one. DT is the one who can give us information on his brother and what his plans were. jmo

His brother is dead. What difference does it make what his plans were? He is not connected to any terrorist organization, or so we have been repeatedly told. I don't see any useful information coming from DT.

His brother is dead. What difference does it make what his plans were? He is not connected to any terrorist organization, or so we have been repeatedly told. I don't see any useful information coming from DT.

I agree.

I find all things DT utterly useless.

What can we learn from him?
NOTHING

He couldn't even get terrorist right. They don't "surrender".

He's even a failure at being a failure.

As far as I see, all he accomplished was learning to build pressure cooker bombs and anybody can do that online sadly.

He's useless and disgusting.
Still costing us money and will for a long while.

JMO

Hence, I believe he was brainwashed to atrocity IF he is found guilty.

You may applaud Sean Murphy, but he did the prosecution no favors by releasing such critical photos. He obviously didn't think it through. The defense team is saying thank you very much right now, along with the RS cover and article! He won't be talking as long as he lives. JMO.

Hence, I believe he was brainwashed to atrocity IF he is found guilty.

You may applaud Sean Murphy, but he did the prosecution no favors by releasing such critical photos. He obviously didn't think it through. The defense team is saying thank you very much right now, along with the RS cover and article! He won't be talking as long as he lives. JMO.

Poor baby was brainwashed?
Poor little terrorist.
:waiting:

What did the defense gain by those photos being released?
What's so "critical" about them.

Nothing IMO.

What can they defend?
He's a murderer. I think we all know that.

JMO

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...tone-to-donate-profits-for-dzhokhar-tsarnaev/

Jack Osbourne challenges Rolling Stone to donate profits from Dzhokhar Tsarnaev cover to bombing victims

Osbourne last week launched a petition on Change.org urging Rolling Stone magazine to donate all profits made from that edition’s sale -- both retail and advertising revenue -- to the victims, surviving family members, and first responders adversely affected by the Boston Marathon bombings.

“Glamorizing a suspected terrorist on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine is not controversial, it’s just wrong. Innocent people have been killed or injured by the alleged actions of this man. There is no justification for awarding him a cover spot traditionally reserved for entertainment icons,” he wrote in the petition letter. “It is this kind of action that encourages other sick individuals to act out in hopes of earning notoriety or martyrdom for their cause.”

Poor baby was brainwashed?
Poor little terrorist.
:waiting:

What did the defense gain by those photos being released?
What's so "critical" about them.

Nothing IMO.

What can they defend?
He's a murderer. I think we all know that.

JMO

<mod snip> Was TT not brainwashed by extreme Jihadists? Isn't this how terrorism begins, by organizations brainwashing others into killing and terrorizing others based on absurd religious and political principles?

Do you know what brainwash means? Make someone adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic pressure and often forcible pressure.

They were born into a Muslim family and in their older years were brainwashed into radical Islamist ideology. You should read up more on how this actually happens :) Though, brainwashing does not equate to not having to be held accountable for your actions.

JMO.

<mod snip> Was TT not brainwashed by extreme Jihadists? Isn't this how terrorism begins, by organizations brainwashing others into killing and terrorizing others based on absurd religious and political principles?

Do you know what brainwash means? Make someone adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic pressure and often forcible pressure.

They were born into a Muslim family and in their older years were brainwashed into radical Islamist ideology. You should read up more on how this actually happens :) Though, brainwashing does not equate to not having to be held accountable for your actions.

JMO.

<mod snip>

I have an issue with brainwashed. I believe they chose their actions.
I don't think either one were brainwashed.

I'll choose what I read. But thanks for the suggestion.

I'm not stupid or naive. I believe they wanted notoriety.
Guess DT got what he wanted. He got the cover of Rolling Stone like a rock star.
And he ran over his brother and he's dead. So now the coward baby terrorist can put all the blame on big bad terrorist and the truly naive people feel sorry for him.

I think he's worthless and hope and pray he gets a needle in his arm sooner rather than later. His victims deserve it.

JMO

ETA: my question was why those photos are so critical.
Why the defense is saying thank you.

And not only did Joseph Cafarelli work tirelessly in a volatile and dangerous environment to find those responsible for the attack &#8212; he led the SWAT team which captured the suspected &#8220;Boston bomber&#8221;.

Mr Cafarelli who has been visiting family in Bolton, said: &#8220;I am not a hero, but I serve with a bunch of heroes.&#8221;

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news...ng_suspect_as_he_visits_family_in_Tonge_Moor/

This is a great read. It gives a few details of what went down at that boat.

JMO

THANK GOD for people who serve and protect us.

So, everyone here believes he is guilty?
I find it a little bit scary how everyone is so hungry to have him punished without seeming to require any solid evidence that proves he is guilty. Have we forgotten that everyone deserves a fair trial? Have we forgotten the words "innocent until proven guilty."?
The stories in this case tend to be confusing and change a lot. Why did they tell us at first that Dzhokhar had tried to kill himself and had shot himself in the throat and was unable to speak? Maybe because they didn't want him to speak, but conveniently enough they'd found a written confession on the walls of the boat. With what tool did he write this confession with? A pen or marker he happened to find? It's very suspicious to me. In the end, they said actually he was unarmed in the boat and had not shot himself in the throat after all.
I find this entire case to be amazingly unfair and biased. All of the media is selectively wording things to promote more fear and hatred towards him. Most of the articles are full of theories and assumptions, yet lack any real evidence.
They'll say things like he was smiling and blowing kisses in court when in actuality he was blowing kisses to his crying sisters. And for anyone who believes he is innocent, they have labelled his "disgusting fan club". Right, because we all know how disgusting it is to disagree with the mainstream media. Personally, I find the unfairness of it all and the extreme bias on the part of the media and the willingness to accept all of it without question more disgusting than the fan club and rollingstone cover put together.
Why is it that none of his family or friends believe he is guilty?
Did you know that he went out to a party one night in between when the bombings happened and when he was labelled a suspect? His friends said he seemed normal and relaxed.
You'd think a 19 year old who had just planted a bomb and killed a few people for the first time in his life would be anything but relaxed. And why would you go home after doing something like that and immediately go on twitter? He posted the evening of the bombings, "Ain't no love in the city tonight, stay safe people".
He had no angry or aggressive behaviour prior to the bombings. He grew up most of his life in the United States. He worked as a life guard and I heard somewhere he wanted to change his major to Nursing. Usually when people do something terrible they have very strong reasons for doing so. If they lack reasons, they usually have psychological issues. But the only psychological issues I see here are the ones the US media is inflicting on it's viewers- by promoting fear and encouraging hate.
And why is it that the FBI Killed Ibragim Todashev? What is the explanation for that? Why is it that more people have died during the investigation of these bombings than at the bombings themselves?

I agree completely, Valentina. These days it seems like the media spins the story to fit their agenda (ratings) instead of just reporting the solid facts. I also believe that every entity of our government should have checks and balances...ie, a neutral party also participating in the investigation. Especially when there is a homicide involved.
Does anyone know whether there is a policy in place for conducting more than just an "internal review" when it comes to the FBI? The shooting of Todashev bothers me a lot because if the FBI is the only ones performing an investigation, how do we assure the report is unbiased? I mean, we hope that it is. But corruption happens in every facet of society and government. From a liability standpoint, it seems the FBI would welcome another investigation independent of their own. I believe that ethically, we owe that to the victims families. If my brother or family member had been interviewed and shot, I'd definitely want to know what happened and why it happened.

I agree completely, Valentina. These days it seems like the media spins the story to fit their agenda (ratings) instead of just reporting the solid facts. I also believe that every entity of our government should have checks and balances...ie, a neutral party also participating in the investigation. Especially when there is a homicide involved.
Does anyone know whether there is a policy in place for conducting more than just an "internal review" when it comes to the FBI? The shooting of Todashev bothers me a lot because if the FBI is the only ones performing an investigation, how do we assure the report is unbiased? I mean, we hope that it is. But corruption happens in every facet of society and government. From a liability standpoint, it seems the FBI would welcome another investigation independent of their own. I believe that ethically, we owe that to the victims families. If my brother or family member had been interviewed and shot, I'd definitely want to know what happened and why it happened.

It is very possible we have not heard anything due of the nature of the interview itself. Because of media's quick responses to incidents we expect to have immediate answers to situations we are not privileged to have answers to until an investigation has been completed. It certainly does not hurt to keep asking the question why did this happened but I would not expect an answer any time soon especially if there is a connection to the Boston Bombing and this person. It's just not going to happen. jmo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/18/sean-murphy_n_3620329.html

http://www.smh.com.au/world/dzhokha...apher-suspended-from-duty-20130719-2q8oc.html

His right arm and hand look severely damaged, I can see why it's still in a cast.

Murphy released these photos because he was angry about the RS cover but it has basically had the opposite effect by keeping DT as one of the most publicized men in the world. These photos are all top headlines across the world now and they show him severely hurt and bleeding - now these are the types of photos that make people sorry for him!

bbm

I don't feel sorry for DT one bit, even after looking @ the pic of him bleeding in the link above.

Here's who I empathize with: those who were killed and maimed by TT & DT and the families of those who lost their precious loved ones due to TT's & DT's actions.

DT still has both his legs, both his arms, and is still alive, unlike many of his & his brother's victims.

So, everyone here believes he is guilty?
I find it a little bit scary how everyone is so hungry to have him punished without seeming to require any solid evidence that proves he is guilty. Have we forgotten that everyone deserves a fair trial? Have we forgotten the words "innocent until proven guilty."?
The stories in this case tend to be confusing and change a lot. Why did they tell us at first that Dzhokhar had tried to kill himself and had shot himself in the throat and was unable to speak? Maybe because they didn't want him to speak, but conveniently enough they'd found a written confession on the walls of the boat. With what tool did he write this confession with? A pen or marker he happened to find? It's very suspicious to me. In the end, they said actually he was unarmed in the boat and had not shot himself in the throat after all.
I find this entire case to be amazingly unfair and biased. All of the media is selectively wording things to promote more fear and hatred towards him. Most of the articles are full of theories and assumptions, yet lack any real evidence.
They'll say things like he was smiling and blowing kisses in court when in actuality he was blowing kisses to his crying sisters. And for anyone who believes he is innocent, they have labelled his "disgusting fan club". Right, because we all know how disgusting it is to disagree with the mainstream media. Personally, I find the unfairness of it all and the extreme bias on the part of the media and the willingness to accept all of it without question more disgusting than the fan club and rollingstone cover put together.
Why is it that none of his family or friends believe he is guilty?
Did you know that he went out to a party one night in between when the bombings happened and when he was labelled a suspect? His friends said he seemed normal and relaxed.
You'd think a 19 year old who had just planted a bomb and killed a few people for the first time in his life would be anything but relaxed. And why would you go home after doing something like that and immediately go on twitter? He posted the evening of the bombings, "Ain't no love in the city tonight, stay safe people".
He had no angry or aggressive behaviour prior to the bombings. He grew up most of his life in the United States. He worked as a life guard and I heard somewhere he wanted to change his major to Nursing. Usually when people do something terrible they have very strong reasons for doing so. If they lack reasons, they usually have psychological issues. But the only psychological issues I see here are the ones the US media is inflicting on it's viewers- by promoting fear and encouraging hate.
And why is it that the FBI Killed Ibragim Todashev? What is the explanation for that? Why is it that more people have died during the investigation of these bombings than at the bombings themselves?

1)bbm
Don't forget that little word "Presumed" innocent until proved guilty.
2)bbm
Does that mean that as long as a person has "strong reasons" it's ok for them to set off bombs and maim people? Just curious. jmo

Welcome to websleuths!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back