Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #6 *SUSPECT APPREHENDED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did someone say that he had an injury to the head also? I thought I read that somewhere, not sure if it is in this thread. I hope that doesn't mean he has a brain injury.

It was reported after his capture but apparently that isn't accurate.

If he dies, I'd call that a possible "not ever" scenario...

the fbi said he is serious condition (not even critical). I think this guy will be able to be questioned in a few days once he is extubated :twocents:

If he does have a throat injury he could be intubated for longer due to swelling, etc.. but we really don't know the extent of his wounds so that is just medical speculation on my part (I am ICU/open heart nurse)..

I've read throat and leg, and in another broadcast I think they said his hand was injured as well.

In any case he's sedated, so handing him a pen and paper would accomplish nothing.

The title of the article was "Boston mayor says authorities may never question bomb suspect."
I think everybody understands that he might not be in a condition to be questioned now. But never?

What would happen if he was in some kind of permanent vegetative state? What would happen then? Would he just be in custody for ever? I don't believe that will happen just wondering hypothetically?
BTW, Jeff Baumen managed a pen and paper after surgery and sedation!

Well, that is sort of what the discussion was about (just in last few minutes on MSNBC). Technically, the clock starts when the questioning starts BUT, that seems to be assuming that the questioning starts fairly immediately. And that is predicaded on the idea that the public safety is at risk now, not later. Good question, no definitive answer, the law as it is currently written is not clear.

oh! That is good info.. I was under the impression that the 48 hours started upon his arrest.

Originally Posted by verbonica View Post
It also says in that article:

"It doesn't mean he can't communicate, but right now I think he's in a condition where we can't get any information from him at all," said Coats, an Indiana Republican."

This is not their first rodeo, you know..

Well Coats ain't very smart, he said on National TV today that the younger brother traveled to Russia and was corrected on air by someone else from the panel.

That being said, why would he talk/communicate especially when talking heads have been calling for his...The DP before he was even captured. I do not really see any incentive for him.

What would happen if he was in some kind of permanent vegetative state? What would happen then? Would he just be in custody for ever? I don't believe that will happen just wondering hypothetically?

If he went into PVS then presumably he would stay in that state unless relatives decided to disconnect him from life support. But there appears to be little danger of that happening as far as I can tell.

I was just wondering that same thing! Would we all in the state of MA pay for his life support forever? That would be so creepy.

I was just wondering that same thing! Would we all in the state of MA pay for his life support forever? That would be so creepy.

If relatives agree life support can be turned off.

Did you all catch 48 hours last night? They suggested he had indeed tried to commit suicide, due to the shot through his mouth/throat.

The episode is available online.

That information was also in an online article from CBS. It sounds quite plausible. Was also thinking about it last night, and curious if he had indeed done that after getting to the boat, knowing he was surrounded and there was no way out? Could all the blood loss found on the items in the shed, etc be from the leg wound?

MOO

I have a question for a moderator.

On Friday, on the scanner and during the manhunt, we heard an arrest made earlier in the day. I know there are upstairs/downstairs rules. I'm wondering if that can be discussed here. If not here, then where?

TIA, Em

The question is, when does the clock start ticking regarding the public exception law? - Pete Williams, MSNBC

Reasonable that under the current circumstances, the clock does not start ticking yet. - Jeff Addicott , St. Mary's University

In other words, its a good question but there is no definitive answer the way the law is currently written.

If there is a clock that will start ticking, it shoudn't start until the perp is awake, alert and oriented!

Jeff Baumen isn't a suspect, nor is he going to be charged with a crime, and his statements were to try to assist LE in capturing the perpetrators. I believe that is the main difference between what he told LE (while sedated) and what LE can and cannot get from the suspect in the same condition.

MOO

I have a question for a moderator.

On Friday, on the scanner and during the manhunt, we heard an arrest made earlier in the day. I know there are upstairs/downstairs rules. I'm wondering if that can be discussed here. If not here, then where?

TIA, Em

Since it's after the fact, it should be okay. I think I know the arrest you're referring to, and it turned out to be unrelated.

Ya think brain stem swelling maybe?

Oh and look. the parents of the wife have put their home up for sale.
I don't blame them.
http://www.newenglandmoves.com/prop...-Coriander-Lane-North-Kingstown-RI-02852.aspx

bbm: we don't know enough about his wounds to say that. Just based on the pictures I saw (boat pic) I would say no if he is listed in serious condition and not critical.

:twocents: My opinion would be that he had surgery, is intubated, and is sedated with Dip or Propafol and also on a PCA pump <---based on my ICU experience and he absolutely would not be able to write or do anything communication wise until he is extubated :twocents:

Did you all catch 48 hours last night? They suggested he had indeed tried to commit suicide, due to the shot through his mouth/throat.

The episode is available online.
So far, ALL the "attempted suicide" suggestions are coming solely from John Miller, the former FBI PR guy, and current CBS reporter. I guess one day we might learn the truth. So far, we just don't know.

Well maybe they're sticking to the 48 hours regardless of his condition:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/21/us/boston-attack/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Because Tsarnaev is still in serious condition, a judge would likely come to the hospital to charge him, a law enforcement source said, noting that suspects accused of federal crimes are normally presented charges within 48 hours of arrest. An arraignment would take place later.

and from that same article re: the two college friends:

In another development, immigration agents arrested two people Saturday in New Bedford, Massachusetts, on visa issues, according to a statement from Immigration and Customs Enforcement. A law enforcement official said the two were detained as authorities investigated their possible involvement in the bombings case. It was determined they weren't involved, that official said, but they were arrested on administrative immigration violations, according to the ICE statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member