Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Still Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious about diving. I am too claustraphobic to scuba although I love snorkeling.

When my grandson was 13, we gave him scuba lessons. He first learned in a pool and then they went to a lake. It did not seem like many lessons but he had been swimming since age three. These boys do not even swim.

Kids learn to swim quite easily. They seem upbeat whereas for me the situation would be paralyzing.

Obviously the experts feel it is a huge issue.

Is the water so deep they have to worry about the bends when they come out? Are there really strong currents? Are they swimming against currents? Is it that they have to be underwater for so long?

Cave diving is really intense. It goes so much more beyond open water and deep dives. The problems with silt, tight squeezes with side-mounted tanks (or removing the tank altogether to slip through) and other problems (depth vs lucidity) makes for an horrifying endeavour.

I'm not a diver myself, but I am a good swimmer. You couldn't pay me enough to do any sort of deep water dive, much less a cave dive. I am, however, a bit of cave diving armchair enthusiast. I had my cave dive phobia drilled in to me by watching the videos (on Youtube) and the documentary "Ben's Vortex". Also, the death (on video, watch at your own peril) of Dave Shaw as he attempted a recovery dive. Scary, scary, scary.

I am with you, everyone ought to learn to swim, and early. Then if they want to head into the scary depths, may they get the proper training.

Thai coach apologizes, boys send love to family in letters from cave

Rescuers are currently grappling with a range of escape options.

CHIANG RAI, Thailand — Fried chicken and a respite from homework were among the requests in a series of letters the 12 boys trapped inside a cave in northern Thailand sent out through divers on Saturday morning.

Their 25-year-old coach, meanwhile, apologized to the parents for leading the children into danger in the first place...
(Bravo, "fried chicken" as you mentioned! ( i liked your post even though I've been boycotting KFC for years. because I knew it was sent with love!)

To me, one of the hardest parts of diving is learning to control your buoyancy. It is one of those things you just have to learn by doing. You want to learn to be neutrally buoyant where you can hover in the water. It is especially important in cave diving where you could slam your tank and equipment into rock walls which potentially damage equipment.

I did my certification dives in a murky lake with about 5 feet of visibility. It was terrifying and I hated it. I can't imagine how hard it is going to be for these boys and their rescuers.

But I am looking forward to hearing all have left the cave without incident.

Bee BabyLion - I'm OK on Twitter
Royal Thai Navy said the boys and their coach already had physical checkup and ready for diving training.

//Hope everything go well in what decision the team will make to bring them out. No decision made now. And, It's also tipping down now at. #thamluang
(Ommmggggosh!)

Last edited:
To me, one of the hardest parts of diving is learning to control your buoyancy. It is one of those things you just have to learn by doing. You want to learn to be neutrally buoyant where you can hover in the water. It is especially important in cave diving where you could slam your tank and equipment into rock walls which potentially damage equipment.

I did my certification dives in a murky lake with about 5 feet of visibility. It was terrifying and I hated it. I can't imagine how hard it is going to be for these boys and their rescuers.

But I am looking forward to hearing all have left the cave without incident.

Thank you for your insight!

((Thai alphabet is used to write the Thai, Southern Thai and other languages in Thailand. It has 44 consonant letters, 15 vowel symbols that combine into at least 28 vowel forms, and four tone diacritics. Wikipedia
Direction: Left-to-right
Parent systems: Proto-Sinaitic alphabet: Phoenician alphabet > Aramaic alphabet > Brāhmī > Pallava > Khmer > Thai
Creator: Ram Khamhaeng
Languages: Standard form: Thai, Southern Thai; Non standard form: Lanna, Isan, Pattani Malay, and others
Thai alphabet - Wikipedia

Photo:
"Ramkhamhaeng inscription, the oldest inscription using proto-Thai script (Bangkok National Museum)"

Eta: um, after looking at the link it might be a little more difficult than I anticipated.)

Attachments

• Bangkok_National_Museum_-_2017-04-22_(008).jpg
    Bangkok_National_Museum_-_2017-04-22_(008).jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 5
Just thinking out loud ... they were found Monday evening. On Tuesday or Wednesday they started to learn diving, using the mask, being underwater in the murky water, etc. So they had 4 or 5 days of practice - we don't know how many hours per day. Is that good? Not enough I guess? What about those that didn't feel well? How much practice did they get?
I guess it was necessary to delay the rescue because it was important that they at least learn some basics about diving - do's and dont's?
I hope it's not too late now. I wish they'd give us an update about the water level - how much did the rains today affect it? Was the pumping efficient?

Does anyone know how much time/distance they would have to be underwater at any given time? I’m unclear based on the chart.

I have dived a few times in the med with Navy divers. (Long story). I was terrified each time; not my thang. I have scuba’d through a cave near the cenote in Tulum, and found it equally terrifying. Basically, I’m a chicken s. Under the best, recreational situations the conditions require great diligence.
Our boys have their work cut out for them, but their determination and prayers will be buoys for them.

Just thinking out loud ... they were found Monday evening. On Tuesday or Wednesday they started to learn diving, using the mask, being underwater in the murky water, etc. So they had 4 or 5 days of practice - we don't know how many hours per day. Is that good? Not enough I guess? What about those that didn't feel well? How much practice did they get?
I guess it was necessary to delay the rescue because it was important that they at least learn some basics about diving - do's and dont's?
I hope it's not too late now. I wish they'd give us an update about the water level - how much did the rains today affect it? Was the pumping efficient?

I don't think they had much training. Seems it was too cold, too muddy and the current was/is strong.

Putting ones head underwater is SO counter intuitive, it takes a fair bit of time to teach children in a pool. They are not in any conditions i.e. pool that would encourage them to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny