Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Still Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they had much training. Seems it was too cold, too muddy and the current was/is strong.

Putting ones head underwater is SO counter intuitive, it takes a fair bit of time to teach children in a pool. They are not in any conditions i.e. pool that would encourage them to do so.

I agree. I don’t think the kids really started training until recently, aside from wearing the masks and practicing breathing. They were too weak to do much more before. I think they’re training now though. IMO the governor is trying to stretch this out to see if those pods work, or if they find a deep enough alternate entrance. Right now diving seems to be the last thing they want for the kids, but the only option. It’s seems he’s still holding out for more options, if the weather allows. :confused:

Last edited:
Cave diving is really intense. It goes so much more beyond open water and deep dives. The problems with silt, tight squeezes with side-mounted tanks (or removing the tank altogether to slip through) and other problems (depth vs lucidity) makes for an horrifying endeavour.

I'm not a diver myself, but I am a good swimmer. You couldn't pay me enough to do any sort of deep water dive, much less a cave dive. I am, however, a bit of cave diving armchair enthusiast. I had my cave dive phobia drilled in to me by watching the videos (on Youtube) and the documentary "Ben's Vortex". Also, the death (on video, watch at your own peril) of Dave Shaw as he attempted a recovery dive. Scary, scary, scary.

I am with you, everyone ought to learn to swim, and early. Then if they want to head into the scary depths, may they get the proper training.

Thanks for the info. Horrifying!

To me, one of the hardest parts of diving is learning to control your buoyancy. It is one of those things you just have to learn by doing. You want to learn to be neutrally buoyant where you can hover in the water. It is especially important in cave diving where you could slam your tank and equipment into rock walls which potentially damage equipment.

I did my certification dives in a murky lake with about 5 feet of visibility. It was terrifying and I hated it. I can't imagine how hard it is going to be for these boys and their rescuers.

But I am looking forward to hearing all have left the cave without incident.

Thanks for the info. I could have gone to a cenote in Mexico, but the water was supposed to be cold. So, no thanks.

I have been to a cave in Arkansas. I don’t understand the appeal of being under the earth. I hope they get the kids out. Living in a cave for months! The nurses, etc would be living there, too?

Plus didn't Saman get tanks to them?

I think Samarn Kunanm was placing supplemental tanks along the passage, not bringing an oxygen line to our "Wild Boars". Those appear to be two different things. Of course, I could be wrong. IIRC his loss of consciousness was somewhat short of the youngsters' shelter, which goes to show what a nightmare this is. He gave his best and last to our team, and I pray all the other divers heed this event and proceed with all caution.

Thanks for the info. I could have gone to a cenote in Mexico, but the water was supposed to be cold. So, no thanks.

I have been to a cave in Arkansas. I don’t understand the appeal of being under the earth. I hope they get the kids out. Living in a cave for months! The nurses, etc would be living there, too?

Yes, the medical rescue team is/was prepared to dig in with our "Wild Boars". Blessings to them.

And heck yeah-- cold water? I would nope right out. Kudos to you, however, for having more b**** than me! I appreciate all that you divers do, and the videos we see are pure gold. I am glad you are brave enough to do what makes me freak out. :) The cenotes in Mexico are archaeological gold.

Thailand soccer team rescue: Conditions now 'most suitable' but monsoon threatens

Monsoon rains threaten window for Thai soccer team rescue

“Today it rained but the water level is still at a satisfactory level,” Osottanakorn told reporters at a press briefing on Saturday morning. “[The next] three to four days from now is the most favorable time for the operation and rescue mission using one of the action plans. If we wait too long, we don’t know how much rainwater will come.”

Does anyone know what the water temperature is?

snipped & bbm

I can't find any temp for the water but the cave is fairly warm (about 78 degrees).

Divers said the temperature in the cave was a about 26 degrees, with water dripping from the walls, meaning the children were unlikely to have experienced dehydration and hypothermia.

@Gunslinging Granny look!

Medical staff involved in the mission told Reuters their first assessments will focus on the boy's breathing, signs of hypothermia and an airborne lung infection known as 'cave disease' which is caused by bat and bird droppings and can be fatal if it is untreated and spreads to other parts of the body.

Mammoth medical operation awaits trapped Thai cave boys

https://twitter.com/pkinbangkok/status/1015578920580550660?s=21
Urgent! A vehicle carrying volunteers seaching for new openings into the #ThamLuang cave has fallen off a cliff, 7 reportedly injured... their rescuers are on the scene. twitter.com/SpringNews_TV/…
Here’s another confirmation ดราม่าลิซึ่ม (ミዕᆽዕミ) | ซับ BORROW TROUBLE on Twitter

Another heart drop. No more fatalities please, one is enough!

That seemed to be the main way in/out, so why have the blocked it off? It will make the live feed pointless.

EXACTLY.

Hardly any activity at all on the live feed now.

Probably all the activity is behind the tarp. I wonder if the path to the helicopter is concealed behind the green tarps? Probably, because otherwise the practicing would have been noticed.

Nobody has seen practicing with stretchers I don't think. So maybe this is so they can literally pull off the rescue without being seen.

Since the helicopters aren't a new thing, it wouldn't be that strange to hear them.

ThaiMythbuster on Twitter

ThaiMythbuster‏ @thaimythbuster
This evening divers noticed a light shining into the cave about 400 to 500 meter from the entrance of the #Thamluangcave, shortening the distance remarkably. But it is not known if the climbers found the shaft.

So set off a colored smoke bomb where they saw the light coming through, so the climbers can find it.

Regarding Elon Musk's plans - he's proposing "a tiny, kid-size submarine using the liquid oxygen transfer tube of Falcon rocket as hull. Light enough to be carried by 2 divers, small enough to get through narrow gaps. Extremely robust." Someone asked when he will have it ready because rains are a big concern. His answer from 20 min ago: "Construction complete in about 8 hours, then 17 hour flight to Thailand"

Elon Musk on Twitter

I wish he hadn't had so much faith in the Thai authorities. He commented once the boys were found that he was sure the authorities had it under control. If he had not, this would be done by now. But I am thrilled he is working on it now. No complaints from me about him being involved! This is such a cool idea. As long as it's built with them laying down to fit through everything. I'm sure he got measurements before he started.

The condition of our young men may not be so good, hence the green tarp. And even if it is good, they are going to be weak and distressed. The world doesn't need to know the condition of our "Wild Boars" before their parents/loved ones. Privacy is fleeting these days; let's allow some leeway here.

Definitely don't want family finding out bad news because it's aired on the live feed!

Although since nobody caught the diver's body being removed, I'm guessing it wouldn't be a huge issue.

However, I also think the tarps are a good idea just to avoid overwhelming the boys. Coming from the cave will already be overwhelming enough. Limiting what they see when they exit can help.

Dear Kkdj,

Your words are so beautiful and touching.

Today is a good day for the miracle to continue. And it will.

My meditation group prayed and meditated at the same time as monks and spiritual leaders all over the world.

The experience was so moving.

It reminded me of all of you on this thread hoping and praying with heartfelt compassion.

The hope and deep compassion you all have expressed for these precious boys has been greatly moving.

Faith is immovable.

Hope does not diminish.

These boys will survive.

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics