The 911 Call, LE Radio Call & Police Report

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will have to go back and look at that Viki. I am sure it is interesting. The FBI has researched the 911 calls people make and can tell if something is fishy on the calls?

Whisperer, when you get some time go to the revisit the 911 call and radio call thread, If I had time I would do it for you...lol...but I think someone posted some very interesting info on the way LE and FBI analyze these calls. Someone posted the link to that website or article or whatever down in the 911 thread.

I will have to go back and look at that Viki. I am sure it is interesting. The FBI has researched the 911 calls people make and can tell if something is fishy on the calls?

They have and they can! Let me see if I can find the link so that everyone can read the article for themselves.

Wow! Thanks Viki....I just read a few paragraphs so far...WOW!.

Sounded to me like Misty was reporting a crime not asking for help.

Her words: "Hi, I just woke up and the door was open and I think....er...I mean my daughter is missing." (approximate words)

I would love to know what she was going to say after the word, "thiink"?

From FBI research:

When analyzing a 911 homicide call, the investide call, the investigator's primary question should be, Was the caller requesting assistance? If not, why not? Was the individual simply reporting a crime? Almost twice as many innocent callers (67 percent) in this study asked for help for the victim than did guilty callers (34 percent).

Yep....Misty was reporting a crime, not asking for help

The FBI research of 911 calls when applied to the calls in this crime are so numerous that I'm not going to list them all (again), but here's one of the most damning ones:

"Resistance to cooperation existed in 26 percent of the calls. All were made by guilty callers."

INTERESTING FACTS FROM FBI:

During the dispatchers' questioning, few of the guilty 911 callers actually lied unless forced to. Most of them deceived by omission, rather than commission. In lieu of offering the complete truth, such as I did it, many provided rambling information, instead of concise points; confusing, rather than clear, details; and extraneous information, instead of relevant facts. These details, although, irrelevant to the dispatchers' questions, frequently related to the criminal act. People who provide more information than necessary may be attempting to convince someone of a deceptive story, rather than simply conveying truthful information. (4) In this regard, investigators must listen carefully to the complete call because the caller may have provided information that reveals vital clues to the homicide.

After reading this paragraph, one can see that Misty clearly gave extra information. She discussed her sleeping, the door ajar, many confusing details about a "brick" and the wrong information about what Haleigh was wearing. The details about the brick really stand out. Who cares about the brick? The child is in iminient danger....goodness! As the FBI states this does not fare well for the analysis of the call that Misty made.....nothing concise, just confusion.

FBI RESEARCH:

Level of Cooperation

If focused on obtaining assistance, 911 callers cooperate by answering questions concerning the crime. In this study, innocent individuals did so more frequently than guilty callers, who resisted full cooperation by not responding to the dispatchers' inquiries concerning the criminal act, failing to perform CPR as instructed, repeating words, and providing unclear responses.

We are all aware of how this was handled. RC did not cooperate at all regarding this...Misty was more willing to answer questions. She was polite but she was not clear at all about the door and it was not necessary. RC fails in this scenario...he was NOT cooperative.

I found this article

Homicide Studies 2009; 13; 69-93
originally published online Dec 5, 2008;
Tracy Harpster, Susan H. Adams and John P. Jarvis

Analyzing 911 Homicide Calls for Indicators of Guilt or Innocence: An Exploratory Analysis

It's about homicide and not missing children cases but looks interesting. I'll let you know if there's anything applicable but here's the citation in case anyone else wants to read.

It's readable online at Sage Complete. It requires a subscription; I got it through my library.

Here is an earlier article from some of the same authors:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_6_77/ai_n27504386/
The link may have been here before.

I always got the impression RC hung up on the operator when she asked him her birthday was because he did not remember the date...it was to save being embarresed.

OP: Call back 1256. 1256. ____telephone____ordinary. Want me to call it in for you? 10:4
FLE2: 1256.
FLE2: I’m available at 116 Tyler.
OP: 116 Tyler? (static) 26.
MLE1: What’s going on at 116?
FLE2: 1256.
OP: Go head.
FLE2: 10:08 from this location, going 97, back to Green.
OP: 10:4. Verifying the last time she was seen ____address.
FLE2: She was seen within her residence, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours ago..
OP: 10:4.

If one listens to the tape, it appears that the OP is answering MLE1 when he askes "what's going on at 116 Tyler?" and she responds "verifying the last time she was seen at _____ address."
There is talk over and such.

Of course, one to one and one half hours ago puts us at 2:10 - 2:40am, a time which no one says that they saw HaLeigh. Therefore I think it was an error on the part of the reporting witness. I do not think that anyone at Tyler saw HaLeigh at that time.

Since 1256 was responding to a "call back", that means she, FLE2, was at the scene of Tyler before this portion of the dispatch conversations.
-----------
Maybe I'm just coming in from left field here but why was LE even at 116 Tyler Street? Why would they even go there when the 911 call came fron Ron's residence? This is baffling me to no end. Have I missed a major piece of evidence here? I have always wondered about this and I'm so glad that now it is being brought back up for a second look.

Another comment, the same LE Officer that was at 116 Tyler Street reported back (see transcript) that Haleigh was last seen 1 to 1 1/2 hours ago. This is part of the big mystery here. This is such a red flag to me. Anyone?

The officer from Tyler states she is go back to Green Lane, therefore I would think that means she had already been to the Green Lane address. In the police report Misty states that she sometimes took Haleigh and Jr on a walk to visit family - it makes sense to me that LE would go to that location and check it out to see if Haleigh had wandered over there because it was so close.

-----------
Maybe I'm just coming in from left field here but why was LE even at 116 Tyler Street? Why would they even go there when the 911 call came fron Ron's residence? This is baffling me to no end. Have I missed a major piece of evidence here? I have always wondered about this and I'm so glad that now it is being brought back up for a second look.

I agree Busy, but the "last seen" statement is still puzzling.

I found this article

Homicide Studies 2009; 13; 69-93
originally published online Dec 5, 2008;
Tracy Harpster, Susan H. Adams and John P. Jarvis

Analyzing 911 Homicide Calls for Indicators of Guilt or Innocence: An Exploratory Analysis

It's about homicide and not missing children cases but looks interesting. I'll let you know if there's anything applicable but here's the citation in case anyone else wants to read.

It's readable online at Sage Complete. It requires a subscription; I got it through my library.
l
Here is an earlier article from some of the same authors:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2194/is_6_77/ai_n27504386/
The link may have been here before.

Sorry to be quoting myself, I just want to include the citation. This is a very short post and I have to make it bigger somehow... :crazy:

I’ve read the above article now and I think it’s based on the same research as the 2008 one we've discussed here, only it’s written for a more scientific publication, with more statistics and more scientific background than the FBI bulletin article which is more practical in its scope.

Based on their research, Harpster, Adams and Jarvis list the following as indicators of potential innocence in their study of callers reporting homicide:
-Immediacy, including early pleas for help, pleas for help for the victim only, urgency of plea, demanding plea, voice modulation, verbal reaction of caller before the 911 dispatcher’s first cue
-Accuracy, including self-correction
-Validity, meaning plea for help

Indicators of potential guilt include:
-Evasion, including resistance in answering, huh factor, repetition, conflicting facts
-Extraneous information
-Distancing, including acceptance of death (dependent on whether there is a relationship between the caller and a victim), possession of a problem, inappropriate politeness, insulting or blaming victim, plea for caller only and minimizing their own involvement before, after or during the event. (I just seen him in his car-type of responses).

The possession of problem is a bit hard to explain so I’ll quote:

This variable occurs when an individual calls the 911 emergency line and reports a problem but does not ask for assistance from the dispatcher. This category is applicable only when the caller uses the word “I,” indicating personal possession of the problem. For example, the following dialogue occurred when a father called 911 to report that his son was having a medical event:

Dispatcher: 911, what is your emergency?
Caller: I have an unconscious child who is breathing very shallowly.

In this case, the father comments that he is in possession of a problem and refers to his problem (his dying son) as an unconscious child. When the paramedics arrived at the residence, the child had already died. The subsequent criminal investigation revealed that the father assaulted his son causing cerebral hemorrhaging.

The most statistically significant factor was extraneous information (in regard to the outcome, guilt or innocent) but most of the others ended up significant as well, with the exception of minimizing. I figure that’s because both genuine innocent bystanders who just happened upon a body by chance and killers who want to keep out of jail may say they just happened upon a body by chance. Self-correction wasn’t significant in a multivariate analysis, possibly because it came up in such a small number of calls. They note that there might be other important factors, such as self-interruptions, contractions and usage they didn’t study.

The authors also discuss that one limitation of their study is that they didn’t study calls made by people under 19 nor anyone who was severely under influence while calling. It is not known if Misty had taken anything that night. If she had it might account for some of the huh factor and the trouble she had answering simple questions. I think it would sound more in her voice if she was really seriously impaired, though. She was 17, I don’t think that two years would make very much of a difference but youth and lack of experience might account for some uncertainty and awkwardness with the procedure. Presumably the emotional reaction a loving and responsible teen stepmom has when a child is missing is pretty much as big as an older caretaker, though, and if one is mature enough to take the responsibility for two children 24/7 one has to be able to report them missing if need be. The biggest age group of callers in the study was those 19-28, so it's not like the people studied were all elderly seniors.

Another comment, the same LE Officer that was at 116 Tyler Street reported back (see transcript) that Haleigh was last seen 1 to 1 1/2 hours ago. This is part of the big mystery here. This is such a red flag to me. Anyone?

yes, yes, yes, this is what I was talking about! SPECULATION ON MY PART An officer was sent over to Tyler because Misty told them she frequently walked Haleigh over to Tyler to visit family. So the officer went to Tyler just to make sure Haleigh had not walked over there on her own. Which is exactly what I think Haleigh might have tried to do! I think Haleigh woke up in the night because she wet the bed. I think she couldn't find Misty or couldn't see Misty in the bed or something, took off her wet shirt and threw it in the dirty laundry pile where LE found it, changed clothes and went to look for Misty where she thought she might be. Tyler Street. It was dark and maybe she lost her way. If you look at the route that the tracking dogs followed, it looks like a strange route that circles back around to Tyler from Monroe. Disturbingly enough the route also goes straight through an RSO's front yard!

Yes I know Ronald said Haleigh would never go out alone, but I don't believe that at all. If she woke up in the night and wanted to find Misty Tyler Street might not seem like too far for her to go. The officer that radio's the 1 and a half hours might have been stating that Misty was last at that residence an hour and a half ago. I truly believe that LE with-holds facts and evidence from the media so that people will come forward to talk. Once they re-interviewed Misty and found out that she did step out for a bit they are not required to tell the public that. I think LE is with-holding a lot from the public, so persons that might know something, would not know they were on to them, I think there is a lot that we don't know about that night.

yes, yes, yes, this is what I was talking about! SPECULATION ON MY PART An officer was sent over to Tyler because Misty told them she frequently walked Haleigh over to Tyler to visit family. So the officer went to Tyler just to make sure Haleigh had not walked over there on her own. Which is exactly what I think Haleigh might have tried to do! I think Haleigh woke up in the night because she wet the bed. I think she couldn't find Misty or couldn't see Misty in the bed or something, took off her wet shirt and threw it in the dirty laundry pile where LE found it, changed clothes and went to look for Misty where she thought she might be. Tyler Street. It was dark and maybe she lost her way. If you look at the route that the tracking dogs followed, it looks like a strange route that circles back around to Tyler from Monroe. Disturbingly enough the route also goes straight through an RSO's front yard!

Yes I know Ronald said Haleigh would never go out alone, but I don't believe that at all. If she woke up in the night and wanted to find Misty Tyler Street might not seem like too far for her to go. The officer that radio's the 1 and a half hours might have been stating that Misty was last at that residence an hour and a half ago. I truly believe that LE with-holds facts and evidence from the media so that people will come forward to talk. Once they re-interviewed Misty and found out that she did step out for a bit they are not required to tell the public that. I think LE is with-holding a lot from the public, so persons that might know something, would not know they were on to them, I think there is a lot that we don't know about that night.

I agree with your post except, the officer said "she was last seen at HER residence 1 to 1-1/2 hours ago." If he had been talking about Misty he would have identified her as the girlfriend/caretaker of the missing child. The call was about Haleigh... therefore I believe they meant Haleigh, not Misty.

As stated before...where is the LE report of the results of their visit on Tyler?

If no 911...fine...but if they were there to investigate Haleigh, it doesn't mention that on the initial LE report. If the reason was JUST to find out if Haleigh was there, I am pretty sure that information would have been mentioned on the report we saw. Why would there NOT be a report somewhere. Busy had told us, there is no report. I believe her. There is no record of their visit?

LE has to report all the places the LE went when writing reports. I guarentee it is in the LE records somewhere. All incidents are written. It should have been released as public information. I wonder why it has not been open to the public?

They didn't publish anything they wrote about the sex offenders or the other places they went to that night. I think they're just hanging on to as much information they can.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321
Back