The 911 Call, LE Radio Call & Police Report

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I really don't see it that way. I have seen posters over the years post numerous times on message boards if someone harmed their child they would kill the with their own bare hands or put a bullet between their eyes. And parents of harmed children have done just that. They have shot the perpetrator who harmed their child even though they did prison time for it.

So is Ron Cummings to react any differently?

I am a very non violent person yet if someone took my child or grandchild from me, I cant guarantee what I would do if I found them. I know what would be running across my mind though if I found out who they were.

IMOO

I understand about anger parents might feel when they hear that their child has been killed or abused and they're faced with the perp, but these threats don't sit right with me because he is jumping the gun, IMO. At this point he supposedly has no knowledge what happened to Haleigh but yet he acts like she's long dead and all that it's left is kill the murderer. IMO finding his daughter should be more prominent in his mind at this point, but he barely gives it a thought during this 911 call. It's just revenge he's after. Just MOO but I would like to see more concern for Haleigh instead of this machoism.

I think this is just talk, just some BS'ing (because he didn't shoot the obvious suspects, he married into the family).

But suppose he really meant what he said and shooted the suspect through the police car windows just as the police arrested him, before they had time to interrogate him. The perp might have been about to confess due to skillful questioning but he died before he had time to reveal where he hid Haleigh. She might have died a slow agonizing death by dehydration and starvation because they couldn't find her in time, because her father shot the suspect.

The anger is a natural emotion but it is often set aside for a while because it's more important to plead. Parents may promise the perp heaven and earth just to get their child back and don't necessarily want to hurt the person who has their daughter before she is recovered.

It's different when you already know that your child is dead and all that is left is to grieve and get justice or revenge. IMO Ronald gives the impression of someone trying to avenge his child's killer instead of someone trying to find his daughter.

I understand about anger parents might feel when they hear that their child has been killed or abused and they're faced with the perp, but these threats don't sit right with me because he is jumping the gun, IMO. At this point he supposedly has no knowledge what happened to Haleigh but yet he acts like she's long dead and all that it's left is kill the murderer. IMO finding his daughter should be more prominent in his mind at this point, but he barely gives it a thought during this 911 call. It's just revenge he's after. Just MOO but I would like to see more concern for Haleigh instead of this machoism.

I think this is just talk, just some BS'ing (because he didn't shoot the obvious suspects, he married into the family).

But suppose he really meant what he said and shooted the suspect through the police car windows just as the police arrested him, before they had time to interrogate him. The perp might have been about to confess due to skillful questioning but he died before he had time to reveal where he hid Haleigh. She might have died a slow agonizing death by dehydration and starvation because they couldn't find her in time, because her father shot the suspect.

The anger is a natural emotion but it is often set aside for a while because it's more important to plead. Parents may promise the perp heaven and earth just to get their child back and don't necessarily want to hurt the person who has their daughter before she is recovered.

It's different when you already know that your child is dead and all that is left is to grieve and get justice or revenge. IMO Ronald gives the impression of someone trying to avenge his child's killer instead of someone trying to find his daughter.

I don't think he immediately thought someone had murdered Haleigh but he was furious that someone had taken her out of her home.

I don't advocate for vigilante justice and I certainly don't in Ron's case either should he have carried through with his threat but I do understand his mindset of wanting to kill the person that took his daughter.

When it comes to children emotions can run very high. We see it right on this site when a child goes missing or is found murdered. Many mention their own raging anger and frustrations and express opinions if this had happened to their own child what they would do and often it runs along the same lines as what Ron's expressed if he caught the person who stoled his child.

IMO

Yes but I bet that as long as there is still hope that the child is alive most WS'ers would like to keep the perp alive for long enough for him to reveal where to find the child, not shoot him before he can tell.

Edit: it's not so much the anger that I find "off" in this 911 call, it's the anger in the absence of expressed concern and pleas for the child. Misty doesn't plead for any help and when Ronald does it's not "Please please find my child quick before she is hurt", it's "You better find the perp before I do because I swear I'll even go to prison for killing him". His upset is about him, not about Haleigh.

Edit 2: An earlier post which might explain what I mean better (it's a long one, sorry) Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Statement Analysis & Related Info

I don't think he immediately thought someone had murdered Haleigh but he was furious that someone had taken her out of her home.

I don't advocate for vigilante justice and I certainly don't in Ron's case either should he have carried through with his threat but I do understand his mindset of wanting to kill the person that took his daughter.

When it comes to children emotions can run very high. We see it right on this site when a child goes missing or is found murdered. Many mention their own raging anger and frustrations and express opinions if this had happened to their own child what they would do and often it runs along the same lines as what Ron's expressed if he caught the person who stoled his child.

IMO

BBM

I am sure it was those deranged statements that got Ron put at the top of the suspect list for all those months.

The first thing a parent thinks of when a child is missing is to find that child and the child's well being.

Ron's deranged thoughts were of his safety and the safety of her kidnapper before he every went to look for her. As far as he knew she had went out that door 1 minute before he got home.

When the police arrived then they could have gotten all that information. Until LE arrives on the scene the lead investigator is the one that decides to put out a Alert on the child. All questions the operator asked would be asked again by the investigators once LE arrived.

Ron wanted the police there right then and giving her birth date could come after they arrived and her physical statistics along with giving them a picture of Haleigh. There are a lot of 5 year old girls, 50 pounds....with brown hair in Florida and since Florida is such a large state there are other girls that have the same birthdate as Haliegh did.

There have been many rude hangups based on anger and frustration when making 911 calls and a whole lot of cussing going on too. This 911 call doesn't corner the market. It is not uncommon to get a caller this angry who hangs up.

IMO

BBM

Why did Ron want the police there right then?

He answered that question, to save the person that took her and save himself.

Most people want the police there to HELP them find their child.

Ron is not stupid and his mom worked for the police and he knew it would take a while for them to get there.

Those 14 minutes were precious minutes that should have been spent driving around the neighbor hood looking for his daughter.

Instead Ron decided it was best just to stay at the trailer and wait for the police to get there and protect the guy who took her and protect Ron from his own actions.

When the police arrived then they could have gotten all that information. Until LE arrives on the scene the lead investigator is the one that decides to put out a Alert on the child. All questions the operator asked would be asked again by the investigators once LE arrived.

Ron wanted the police there right then and giving her birth date could come after they arrived and her physical statistics along with giving them a picture of Haleigh. There are a lot of 5 year old girls, 50 pounds....with brown hair in Florida and since Florida is such a large state there are other girls that have the same birthdate as Haliegh did.

There have been many rude hangups based on anger and frustration when making 911 calls and a whole lot of cussing going on too. This 911 call doesn't corner the market. It is not uncommon to get a caller this angry who hangs up.

IMO

BBM

I think the best defense lawyer in the land would have a very hard time digging up 911 call of a missing child that even begins to compare with this one.

A normal person with a missing child does not have room for anger and frustration in their brain that early in the situation. They only have room for finding their child. All that other stuff comes a lot later in the game. The police and FBI are fully aware of this.

I always thought RC's behaviour during the 911 call was super odd, but that day...

"I'd give my life for my child's life back.”

...sealed it for me that RC knew Haleigh was no longer alive.

As much as I have read about Ron's reactions on this call, I still can't help feeling he acted just as I would have expected him to. Ron Cummings is a different breed, he is highly aggressive and unpredictable with a deep mistrust of the law. He is not alone in that last respect; many injured parties feel that justice is not adequately served on the perpetrators of crimes.

Taking Ron's reponse at face value I can understand his frustration. He seems anxious to have LE come to his home 'right now' which should be an atypical reaction for a criminal or who is a guilty party. Yet nobody has pointed that out. He just got in the door and doesn't know the circumstances. He clarifies this by telling the operator he was at work. If I was in the same situation, I would mostly likely say 'I just got in' or something like that. Ron is angry with what he feels are delaying tactics by 911, when you would think that he should be pleased that it's buying him more time.
In the beginning of the 911 call you can hear him calling for Haleigh in the background. Considering he was at work, I think it would have been really suspect if he had made the call to 911 and not allowed Misty to speak. I would have expected him to want to control it and he doesn't.

I don't like this guy one little bit and I think that he has hindered the investigation. But I think he was not told the truth by Misty and instead told a story that implicated him. IMO, his reactions recorded on the 911 call fit his character as we have come to know it.

As much as I have read about Ron's reactions on this call, I still can't help feeling he acted just as I would have expected him to. Ron Cummings is a different breed, he is highly aggressive and unpredictable with a deep mistrust of the law. He is not alone in that last respect; many injured parties feel that justice is not adequately served on the perpetrators of crimes.

Taking Ron's reponse at face value I can understand his frustration. He seems anxious to have LE come to his home 'right now' which should be an atypical reaction for a criminal or who is a guilty party. Yet nobody has pointed that out. He just got in the door and doesn't know the circumstances. He clarifies this by telling the operator he was at work. If I was in the same situation, I would mostly likely say 'I just got in' or something like that. Ron is angry with what he feels are delaying tactics by 911, when you would think that he should be pleased that it's buying him more time.
In the beginning of the 911 call you can hear him calling for Haleigh in the background. Considering he was at work, I think it would have been really suspect if he had made the call to 911 and not allowed Misty to speak. I would have expected him to want to control it and he doesn't.

I don't like this guy one little bit and I think that he has hindered the investigation. But I think he was not told the truth by Misty and instead told a story that implicated him. IMO, his reactions recorded on the 911 call fit his character as we have come to know it.

BBM

What would be his deep mistrust of the law? He is a criminal and his record shows it. What great injustice by LE in Ron's life makes him mistrust them? It seems like they have been overly fair with him in the past since most of his arrest worked out good for him. If he had such a mistrust of LE why was he waiting around for them, why didn't he go get in his truck and drive around?

Why would Ron feel they are delaying tactics being used by the 911 operator?

He knows it is not that operator who comes out. His mom worked for dispatch and he has been around the police enough and I am sure with his life style has had to call 911 before.

If you can hear him calling for Haleigh he is in the trailer and you only hear it once. Why isn't he calling continuously like a normal parent would. Why isn't he screaming at the top of his lungs for her?

BBM

What would be his deep mistrust of the law? He is a criminal and his record shows it. What great injustice by LE in Ron's life makes him mistrust them? It seems like they have been overly fair with him in the past since most of his arrest worked out good for him. If he had such a mistrust of LE why was he waiting around for them, why didn't he go get in his truck and drive around?

Why would Ron feel they are delaying tactics being used by the 911 operator?

He knows it is not that operator who comes out. His mom worked for dispatch and he has been around the police enough and I am sure with his life style has had to call 911 before.

If you can hear him calling for Haleigh he is in the trailer and you only hear it once. Why isn't he calling continuously like a normal parent would. Why isn't he screaming at the top of his lungs for her?

Perhaps I worded that incorrectly. People that live in certain strata of society have a mistrust of law enforcement. Number one, they are criminals and they don't want the law in their business. In other instances they feel unfairly targeted by police. For example, the police will often search a group of males that they come across on the street for no reason other than they think they might be up to something. It's the police way of saying 'we're watching you'. In the poorer housing estates in my city, teenagers will attack squad cars with rocks and debris when they enter on their rounds. In some places, there is a lot of animosity between the locals and LE. Also, criminals often feel that they are a law unto themselves and resent police interference. I think Ron belongs to this group.

As for the delaying tactics - it comes across to me that he wants action now. He wants them to be there five minutes ago, not still on the way. He is aggravated and frustrated and responds in the only way he knows how to - with aggression and threats.

I would in fact be interested to see what he has called 911 for before. I doubt he wants the law in his business too much. Maybe for an accident or a fire? When it was absolutely unavoidable.

He's not close to his mother, they did not live together for long and I would say they kept well out of eachother's business. He was reportedly a very troubled teen.

We hear him call Haleigh at the beginning of the 911 call but we are not privy to how many times he called her before they placed the call. The trailer's not that big.

Don't get me wrong, i think he's guilty of something. I'm just trying to be objective. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify my position and I respect your opposing views.

This may have already been posted but,
Wouldn’t RC really know the inside workings of how 911 call work? His mom had been a dispatcher herself and I am sure they discussed how it works, ie they take information while the deputies are in route to the scene.

Considering he not only knew they were recording the call but had the presence of mind immediately after finding out his 5 year old daughter was missing to mention he knew he was being recorded and wanted to get his statement on the "record", I would say he knew exactly how 911 calls work.

Perhaps I worded that incorrectly. People that live in certain strata of society have a mistrust of law enforcement. Number one, they are criminals and they don't want the law in their business. In other instances they feel unfairly targeted by police. For example, the police will often search a group of males that they come across on the street for no reason other than they think they might be up to something. It's the police way of saying 'we're watching you'. In the poorer housing estates in my city, teenagers will attack squad cars with rocks and debris when they enter on their rounds. In some places, there is a lot of animosity between the locals and LE. Also, criminals often feel that they are a law unto themselves and resent police interference. I think Ron belongs to this group.

As for the delaying tactics - it comes across to me that he wants action now. He wants them to be there five minutes ago, not still on the way. He is aggravated and frustrated and responds in the only way he knows how to - with aggression and threats.

I would in fact be interested to see what he has called 911 for before. I doubt he wants the law in his business too much. Maybe for an accident or a fire? When it was absolutely unavoidable.

He's not close to his mother, they did not live together for long and I would say they kept well out of eachother's business. He was reportedly a very troubled teen.

We hear him call Haleigh at the beginning of the 911 call but we are not privy to how many times he called her before they placed the call. The trailer's not that big.

Don't get me wrong, i think he's guilty of something. I'm just trying to be objective. Thank you for the opportunity to clarify my position and I respect your opposing views.

I am with you on the objective part. Until I can get this cleared up in my head I can not let it drop and go on to putting the blame on Misty and Tommy like I am suspecting it belongs now.

I am very glad people are posting other ideas and thoughts.

I can't fathom that Ron did not know how 911 worked.

I really don't see it that way. I have seen posters over the years post numerous times on message boards if someone harmed their child they would kill the with their own bare hands or put a bullet between their eyes. And parents of harmed children have done just that. They have shot the perpetrator who harmed their child even though they did prison time for it.

So is Ron Cummings to react any differently?

I am a very non violent person yet if someone took my child or grandchild from me, I cant guarantee what I would do if I found them. I know what would be running across my mind though if I found out who they were.

IMOO

IMO, the difference is that Ron did not know if someone had hurt his child. Most people do not immediatelly go to the worse case scenerio. Even when it is right in front of you, you hope you are wrong and it is not as bad as it looks. Your brain automatically protects you from the worst case scenerio by putting you in shock. You might have a fleeting thought "this is bad" but then hope kicks in and you think it will be okay or in this case, for some reason shs did go outside and got lost in the dark.

That is why I feel the entire 911 call was staged. Because Ron NEVER considered anything but Haleigh did not leave of her own free will. Within minutes of finding out his daughter was missing, he had no hope that she was anywhere in or outside that house. If my child turned up missing, I don't care who tells me they checked everywhere, I am going to look myself because my hope is going to tell me that they missed my baby when they were looking and she just fell asleep somewhere hidden.

I am with you on the objective part. Until I can get this cleared up in my head I can not let it drop and go on to putting the blame on Misty and Tommy like I am suspecting it belongs now.

I am very glad people are posting other ideas and thoughts.

I can't fathom that Ron did not know how 911 worked.

I believe he knew exactly how the call would be recorded and replayed. He's no dummy.

Maybe the fact that he is grieving for his daughter, even though he is guilty is what I can hear coming across in that call. On one hand I see how his answers could be construed as suspicious, on the other I see him reacting exactly according to type. I'm intrigued by the call and am interested in evaluating it.

I think it's interesting to note who calls 911, and who is in the background, on both 911 calls (Haleigh's disappearance and the road rage incident). IMO, this shows a pattern. Misty was relieved to hand the phone to Ron, during the 911 call about Haleigh, she didn't want to be in the hot seat (neither did Ron).

*snipped to save space*

I think it was Misty who called 911 in the road rage incident with RC and CJ and I'm not sure who reported the fight with the Croslins (I think it might have been Granny but don't quote me on this because I'm not sure, just an impression I have).

We do know of at least one other occasion when RC wanted the law in his business and that was when Timmy Croslin called him a bad name. It doesn't sound like it was absolutely unavoidable to me. I've been called bad names and I didn't phone anybody. It sounds more like someone who is quite prepared to call the cops if it can benefit him or annoy someone else.

I always thought RC's behaviour during the 911 call was super odd, but that day...

"I'd give my life for my child's life back.”

...sealed it for me that RC knew Haleigh was no longer alive.
I've been very suspicious of Ron, but that particular statement didn't strike me like that. He could've spoken from a 'common sense' knowledge, that if she wasn't back by then, she wasn't coming back . Also, it could've been spoken from severe depression that things were bleak & would never get better. Like I said, I've been very suspicious, but I would think that parents of missing children would have hopeful times, but also completely hopeless moments & this might have been a hopeless moment. I had a similar experience with my 20 year old daughter. Her bf called & said that they had argued & he had put her out about a mile from my house. We drove around, couldn't find her, & I panicked. I called 911, & basically said that if he had done something to her, we would kill him. I was having a hopeless moment. When I was asked to describe what she was last wearing, I freaked because the operator spoke in the past tense. We finally found her several hours later-walking-because she had walked back to his house, @3;30 in the morn, & he had put her out again . That was the night that I started hating that bf. & I slapped her hard & more thane once, on the way home. Not knowing where your kid is, & I don't care how old they are, is a horrible, sinking feeling.

I wonder why rc did not run outside and check the shed. I would be banging on neighbors doors about that time. He should have been calling tommy's first before he called his mommy. Who did rc call anyway? All I know is GMA and mommy, both of which traveled at the speed of light.

I've been very suspicious of Ron, but that particular statement didn't strike me like that. He could've spoken from a 'common sense' knowledge, that if she wasn't back by then, she wasn't coming back . Also, it could've been spoken from severe depression that things were bleak & would never get better. Like I said, I've been very suspicious, but I would think that parents of missing children would have hopeful times, but also completely hopeless moments & this might have been a hopeless moment. I had a similar experience with my 20 year old daughter. Her bf called & said that they had argued & he had put her out about a mile from my house. We drove around, couldn't find her, & I panicked. I called 911, & basically said that if he had done something to her, we would kill him. I was having a hopeless moment. When I was asked to describe what she was last wearing, I freaked because the operator spoke in the past tense. We finally found her several hours later-walking-because she had walked back to his house, @3;30 in the morn, & he had put her out again . That was the night that I started hating that bf. & I slapped her hard & more thane once, on the way home. Not knowing where your kid is, & I don't care how old they are, is a horrible, sinking feeling.

I am sorry to hear about your nightmare and I am glad it turned out well...it had to be a frightening and panic filled time for you.

Regarding rc though, his entire being screamed hopeless and grieving. I think you are beind kind, thoughtful and over generous. ron used Haleigh in the past tense in his first interview..."She was the most well-behaved child I ever had". It always bothered me how much he stressed how well-behaved she was....was that a clue? It was very odd speech...but oddness is pervasive with him.

I am sorry to hear about your nightmare and I am glad it turned out well...it had to be a frightening and panic filled time for you.

Regarding rc though, his entire being screamed hopeless and grieving. I think you are beind kind, thoughtful and over generous. ron used Haleigh in the past tense in his first interview..."She was the most well-behaved child I ever had". It always bothered me how much he stressed how well-behaved she was....was that a clue? It was very odd speech...but oddness is pervasive with him.

BBM

I think it could very much be a clue. It's almost like a guilty, subconsious slip that he knows something happened to her while she was NOT being "the most well-behaved" little girl at the time.

Of all of the good things he could've said about HaLeigh, why would he say how well-behaved she was? Doesn't make sense to me.

All JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back