The Backyard

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I made a new thread for the new development about the bone possibly being human
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88713"]The Bone Fragment - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I apologize for jumping in with little information, but I've been reading these posts for days and I have a couple of small things to add.

I live a couple of miles from the Garrido house and not all of the area is like this. Antioch is a nice community but suffers from increasing crime and what appears to be a lack of strong leadership both in LE and politically.

I was disturbed that the mayor went before the media to say that the area Garrida lived in was outside of the Antioch city limits and not the responsibility of the Antioch Police Department. Who cares! Garrido did business in Antioch and it came across insensitive. Lake Tahoe had a parade, Brentwood (neighboring town) honored the Berkeley University Policewoman that helped break the case and all Antioch could do was say it wasn't their fault!

We're a community of mixed heritages and if anyone dares mention someone's race or profiles another they are accused of racism (you may have noticed this from Cheyvonne's main post [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4122867&postcount=208"]#208[/ame]). Perhaps the neighbors were trying to be tolerant and not show discrimination towards someone that was obviously mentally ill. I'm not making any excuses for them not following through - I think we've gone too far trying not to offend anyone.

Some may think this is ridiculous to bring up, but Jaycee obviously loves cats. There were cat books and several cat figurines on her bookshelves. On the news I saw deputies (I believe) taking small pet carriers from the property the day Jaycee was rescued and tried to find out if they contained her cats. It would be sad to think they were taken to animal control and euthanized after all she has been through. I'm sure fellow animal lovers can understand my concern.

I apologize for jumping in with little information, but I've been reading these posts for days and I have a couple of small things to add.

I live a couple of miles from the Garrido house and not all of the area is like this. Antioch is a nice community but suffers from increasing crime and what appears to be a lack of strong leadership both in LE and politically.

I was disturbed that the mayor went before the media to say that the area Garrida lived in was outside of the Antioch city limits and not the responsibility of the Antioch Police Department. Who cares! Garrido did business in Antioch and it came across insensitive. Lake Tahoe had a parade, Brentwood (neighboring town) honored the Berkeley University Policewoman that helped break the case and all Antioch could do was say it wasn't their fault!

We're a community of mixed heritages and if anyone dares mention someone's race or profiles another they are accused of racism (you may have noticed this from Cheyvonne's main post #208). Perhaps the neighbors were trying to be tolerant and not show discrimination towards someone that was obviously mentally ill. I'm not making any excuses for them not following through - I think we've gone too far trying not to offend anyone.

Some may think this is ridiculous to bring up, but Jaycee obviously loves cats. There were cat books and several cat figurines on her bookshelves. On the news I saw deputies (I believe) taking small pet carriers from the property the day Jaycee was rescued and tried to find out if they contained her cats. It would be sad to think they were taken to animal control and euthanized after all she has been through. I'm sure fellow animal lovers can understand my concern.
I imagine from the way they lived that the cats just lived out there in the yard too.
I do not think the authorities bother stray cats.
I imagine they are still out there.
But I too have thought about who is feeding her cats now....

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/07/garrido.dugard.missed.opportunities/index.html

There were at least 16 visits from parole officers and seven by the fire department.

As recently as June, two months before Dugard was discovered with the Garridos, Contra Costa County firefighters responded to a fire on the property. They doused a car engine that had exploded into flames at the rear of the property, said department spokeswoman Emily Hopkins. They spent two hours there and then left.

They also visited Garrido's property in fall 2007, after a neighbor reported fire coming from the backyard. In addition, they responded twice in 2008 and three times in 2009 to medical emergencies involving Garrido's elderly mother, Patricia Franzen.

Fire department officials weren't sure whether more visits were made to the home, because computerized records date only to 2006.

It seems to me when there were "visits" like this from authorities that this would have been the likely time (or at least one example of) when PG would have used the so-called soundproof room. Or, maybe they were in the basement. He could have told them something like they needed to go down to the basement church and pray and they just listened to him.

The visits by authorities, meaning police, fire department, parole officers, are in my mind inexcusable. Knowing the history of this creep, parole officers should be on the look out for anything weird, I mean anything. They either just didn't care or never read his file or? :waitasec: No excuse. If the family files a huge lawsuit, good for them. Maybe some laws will be enacted after all of this. I sure hope so. Only thing good that could come out of this.

As for the neighbors, I don't want to criticize what might be people also up to no good, turning their backs, not wanting to make trouble to the point where they might have to move, making a fuss over what might end up being nothing, maybe they have their own issues. People do not pay attention to others anymore, it's sad but true. Cell phones, internet, blogs, no people contact.

Zucker, I believe it was the Antioch police chief who mentioned in his press conference (and apology) that the officer who came out in response to a 911 call in 2006 did not run a check on Garrido prior to or after the visit. I agree it is totally inexcusable, especially now that I've read the article just posted by Harmony2 showing MANY more visits than we even realized. Apparently, they do more of a background check on people when pulling them over for a basic traffic violation then upon responding to a residential 911 call! Too bad Garrido never got pulled over for speeding or having a taillight out or something with the girls in the car, everything would have been solved years ago. :rolleyes:

Zucker, I believe it was the Antioch police chief who mentioned in his press conference (and apology) that the officer who came out in response to a 911 call in 1996 did not run a check on Garrido prior to or after the visit. I agree it is totally inexcusable, especially now that I've read the article just posted by Harmony2 showing MANY more visits than we even realized. Apparently, they do more of a background check on people when pulling them over for a basic traffic violation then upon responding to a residential 911 call! Too bad Garrido never got pulled over for speeding or having a taillight out or something with the girls in the car, everything would have been solved years ago. :rolleyes:

It was the Sheriff's Department's jurisdiction. Here is an article about our mayor's news conference. (YIKES!)

Mayor struggles to deflect negative media attention to Antioch

I just noticed an error in my previous post and not sure if I still have time to edit. I'll change it if I can. If not: what I meant to say was the 2006 911 phone call, not 1996. Sorry about that!

*I was able to fix it in my original post, but it still says 1996 in another quotation of my post. lol So, please note my above correction on that one. :)

Fires in the back yard that took 2 hours to be put out ? OMG. Then another fire after that. I truly don't know how much longer I can read about this case and the signs that were being displayed, but I can only hope that cats are resilient about hunting for food and maybe the families came back somehow to rescue any cats that the girls were caring for. The cats will still be around that home if they were fed and watered there.

Fires in the back yard that took 2 hours to be put out ? OMG. Then another fire after that. I truly don't know how much longer I can read about this case and the signs that were being displayed, but I can only hope that cats are resilient about hunting for food and maybe the families came back somehow to rescue any cats that the girls were caring for. The cats will still be around that home if they were fed and watered there.

See my other post on the topic HERE: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4106130&highlight=cats#post4106130

SNIP
In any case, looks like the cats were taken away by District Animal Control. See Slide 4 here: http://extras.mercurynews.com/slides...e_dugard_0827/

I can understand that they could spay and neuter the cats, treat them for disease, & give them appropriate care . . . but to simply treat them as if they were NOT beloved pets, but disposable items, is sick.

I agree, returning the pets to Jaycee and her girls might be a crucial step in healing.

Unfortunately, cats are not as highly regarded in our society as dogs and are largely thought of as disposable.

On the other hand, LE might not have wanted cats wandering around and disturbing the crime scene!

As recently as June, two months before Dugard was discovered with the Garridos, Contra Costa County firefighters responded to a fire on the property. They doused a car engine that had exploded into flames at the rear of the property, said department spokeswoman Emily Hopkins. They spent two hours there and then left.

They also visited Garrido's property in fall 2007, after a neighbor reported fire coming from the backyard. In addition, they responded twice in 2008 and three times in 2009 to medical emergencies involving Garrido's elderly mother, Patricia Franzen.

Fire department officials weren't sure whether more visits were made to the home, because computerized records date only to 2006.

I am stunned. Stunned and angered. I friggin' can't BELIEVE this. :furious:

It is more and more amazing that Jaycee and her girls survived this hellhole.

I would also like to know things like, was he on any kind of govt aid and what was he using to buy food etc for these kids. Granted they seemed to be living in squalor, but no one noticed him buying trikes, walkers, girls clothing, dolls or noticed that he acquired this stuff in any way. I would not be surprised that we learn he and the girls were on some government assistance and he got away with it. Is his business registered with the city and what do his tax returns look like? What did his parole officer think he was doing for income?

As sad as all of this is, and it is sad, there are probably hundreds if not thousands of people like this guy, slipping through the system (and bleeding California dry in the process) that we will never know about. If I think too much about it, I myself could go crazy.:bang:

We're a community of mixed heritages and if anyone dares mention someone's race or profiles another they are accused of racism (you may have noticed this from Cheyvonne's main post #208). Perhaps the neighbors were trying to be tolerant and not show discrimination towards someone that was obviously mentally ill. I'm not making any excuses for them not following through - I think we've gone too far trying not to offend anyone.

Tolerance or maybe a just dont-give-a-damn attitude.

It has been reported that PG was the caretaker of the vacant property next door until Mr. Robinson and his girlfriend took up residence in 2006.

The girlfriend took one look, relatively speaking, and said "What the Heck!?" and called 911...not a complaint to code enforcement or getting advice from other weary neighbors...felt moved enough to dial 911!

This unsung hero, I assume, did not previously live in the area and was not "used to" this behavior from community members.

Once she learned from the other neighbors, who apparently grew accustomed to "creepy" PG, that he was a registered sex offender and noticed little girls in his backyard, she didn't wait for very long to call authorities.

When they cleared the call in less than half an hour, I imagine a little of this womans courage, fortitude and resolve was stripped away.

I can't find any other reports of 911 calls made by any of the other long-time residents.

5house_1471754i.jpg

What is that piece of paper on the Aladdin(?) ironing board? Somehow, it strikes me as significant.

this is the other part of the sentence from the Montreal Gazette article cited above:

the other {Jaycee's other daughter} pointed out nasturtiums and told her they were edible

Reading this just about brought tears to my eyes.

Jaycee did a wonderful job with her daughters. Despite everything she suffered, she had an inquisitive mind, learned from books, and taught her daughters what she knew. I think she's awesome.

It's ironic . . . in her bookshelf is Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. Truly, these girls were angels living amongst demons, and I think that they have much to teach us and so much to offer the world.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Forensic1964
Back