The Backyard

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If no neighbors heard newborns and infants crying (hopefully) maybe Jaycee was able to give birth and care for the babies inside. As more is coming out about that elderly man's house next-door (where the newest owner in an interview says the door locks were all reversed when he bought the house and Garrido had had access to it) if Jaycee and her children were hidden over there during parole officer visits? An elderly, bedridden man wouldn't know what was going on in the rest of his house, and once he was gone, it was just more room for Garrido to spread out into.

I think you're on to something here ....... but I don't think they were kept next door. I think they spent a most of their of time inside the Garrido house. Remember he said in an interview that the two daughters slept in his arms every night since birth. Not that you can take his word for everything but there are other things to indicate that as well. There were no real cooking facilities in the sheds or tents or food stored there. I think they were in the house for meals, working all day for the printing business, attending the basement church, etc..

The hidden compound served another purpose.

This is a horrible unforgivable case of neighbors totally disregarding the safety of children. Heck, I question when an animal appears to be abused or if living conditions are not appropriate. If this house was next to mine and I was aware of him being a pedofile - I would be haunting the authorities.
I am wondering if he filed income taxes and if so, how did he list exemptions. Also, did 'Alissa' have a social security number and also file taxes.
There's a part of me that is hoping that a good, 'honest' legal representative will step into this mess because these children and their mother are owed compensation for slave labor.

What were the neighbors supposed to do? They called police, police came out, nothing happened. Yes, he was a sex offender. But sex offenders sometimes have kids and grandkids. And what did they really know? That there were kids sometimes at the home and there were tents in the yard. From what I am reading, that seems to be about it. I am not seeing that they knew she was living in the compound, just that she had been seen back there.

When they called police and police came out, I would guess that they thought the situation had been investigated. And that evidently nothing was wrong since nothing changed. They may have been unhappy about the situation or the neighbor, but if LE can't do anything, what could they do?

Keep in mind that the neighbors didn't even seem to be aware there were children living in the home, only that they were there 'sometimes'. People that did business with the Garrido's seem to be more aware of the household situation. And they didn't seem to be aware that there was anything wrong. Only that the family seemed off. Neighbors knew about the compound out back, but not much about the 'family.' Business associates knew about the
'family', but not about the compound as far as I can see.

The news reports said she lived outside for 18 years. The white shed was soundproofed. That's probably where she gave birth.

When I was a kid 'WE' kids in the neighborhood knew everything that was in the back of someones house, hidden or not. I discovered a lot of hinky things during my childhood that went on but never came home and told my parents or grandparents because I wasn't supposed to be where I was venturing.

I don't think times have changed that much, kids go where they aren't supposed to be and still stay quiet about their ventures to adults.

Eventually we may learn more.....

Regardless of what media said I think the hidden backyard was their "space" but they were in the house quite a bit. I suspect they had to stay in the tents/sheds when others were expected at the house (family, friends, health care for mother, parole authorities, etc.) and at other times but I'm guessing a great deal of their day was spent in the house (eating, working for the printing business).

It would also help to explain why the neighbors did not hear and see more.

If you look at the aerials of the property you can clearly see the compound, and I assume the neighbor reports were from the people opposite the driveway, so on the left side of the main house as you are facing it. But has anything been said about the completely vacant lot in back of the compound? That has an abandoned car in it? That does not seem to be part of PG's property and I don't think I have seen it discussed anywhere. It would seem to me that the cops might should check that property for whatever might have ever been tossed over or even buried there. And also what the car is. That's not the getaway car, is it?

If you look at the aerials of the property you can clearly see the compound, and I assume the neighbor reports were from the people opposite the driveway, so on the left side of the main house as you are facing it. But has anything been said about the completely vacant lot in back of the compound? That has an abandoned car in it? That does not seem to be part of PG's property and I don't think I have seen it discussed anywhere. It would seem to me that the cops might should check that property for whatever might have ever been tossed over or even buried there. And also what the car is. That's not the getaway car, is it?

News reports have mentioned LE interviewing the owner and that it is a storage yard.

The neighbors knew, they had to know something was weird. A sexual offender whose married to a Mexican had blonde girls of all ages living in his backyard and they don't go to school or do anything, pleeze. They thought the law was attending to it which was a huge mistake. All the items that were found are suspect to me, some of them could even be used in sexual attacks. There was absolutely nothing found that would add to the comfort or life of anyone, not even an animal. Why the heck would anyone who has no life whatsoever want to read crime books. This was a life of Hell and abuse for all these girls.

Cadaver dogs were brought in and investigators continued to comb the properties using garden tools. A chain-link fence has been erected around the house and officers were posted to prevent trespassing.

The search had been expected to conclude late Sunday but was extended after a piece of evidence was found that required analysis.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_13236464

When I was a kid 'WE' kids in the neighborhood knew everything that was in the back of someones house, hidden or not. I discovered a lot of hinky things during my childhood that went on but never came home and told my parents or grandparents because I wasn't supposed to be where I was venturing.

I don't think times have changed that much, kids go where they aren't supposed to be and still stay quiet about their ventures to adults.

Eventually we may learn more.....

True, but we as kids spent a lot more outside than kids do today, I notice. Video games etc were not part of our lives and we weren't allowed to talk on the phone for hours or have TVs in our rooms, hence, we played outside!
You are right though. We would find full beer cans after neighborhood parties and stockpile them behind someone's shed... found playboy magazines near bonfires in the woods, knew my neighbor had a girl over skinnydipping in his pool when his wife and kids were off on vacation... that my other neighbor slept in sleeping bags on his bed and was not allowed to smoke in the house so he would be out in the garage at all hours. Lol. nothing got by us!

HLN, Headline News, is showing pictures of the tent and chainlink cage from the backyard.

Regardless of what media said I think the hidden backyard was their "space" but they were in the house quite a bit. I suspect they had to stay in the tents/sheds when others were expected at the house (family, friends, health care for mother, parole authorities, etc.) and at other times but I'm guessing a great deal of their day was spent in the house (eating, working for the printing business).

It would also help to explain why the neighbors did not hear and see more.

I'm finding more info that indicates the backyard was not their full time home. Search some of the interviews of acquaintances.

From CNN - The media "made it seem like these little girls were living like wolves or jungle kids in the backyard dungeon. Perhaps that's it, but they didn't give that visual to me," said Cheyvonne Molino, who runs an auto wrecking yard with her husband.

They also make mention of how the girls were Hannah Montana fans, etc..

I don't think Garrido tried to keep them separate, but integrated them as much as possible. If they appeared to be family then they wouldn't arouse suspicion. It also explains why the neighbors didn't know more.

I'm also surprised by the lack of supervision on the part of any of the county/governmental authorities. Example, try putting a fence, or a screen enclosure, or anything hinky on an Orlando property (without a permit) and see how long it takes before someone comes around for a look-see. Doesn't this county/city have a property appraiser that comes by from time to time and notes what structures are on the property? How could someone have failed to notice this dilapidated "tent city" going on in the backyard?

Word to Tom'sGirl who posted that other kids would know what was going on in that backyard, for sure. Between snooping, balls going astray, playing hide-and-seek, and cutting through yards for better access, some of those neighborhood kids had to see something strange.

Bringing this over from the media thread- this is good!:
Authorities Condemn Alleged Dugard Kidnappers' Home

"Authorities declared the Antioch home where kidnap victim Jaycee Lee Dugard and her two children were imprisoned in a squalid backyard compound uninhabitable Monday.

While investigators used rakes, shovels and chain saws to probe the backyard for evidence, a red tag was nailed to the front of the home declaring it uninhabitable and barring anyone was entering the structure."

I'm also surprised by the lack of supervision on the part of any of the county/governmental authorities. Example, try putting a fence, or a screen enclosure, or anything hinky on an Orlando property (without a permit) and see how long it takes before someone comes around for a look-see. Doesn't this county/city have a property appraiser that comes by from time to time and notes what structures are on the property? How could someone have failed to notice this dilapidated "tent city" going on in the backyard?
Exactly! I have wondered the same. You can't put up anything around here without "approval", "permits", even going to a city meeting to view a video as a requirement by the city. So unbelievable how Jaycee and her daughters were overlooked. :furious:

The pictures of the living conditions posted at this link are sobering for all sorts of reasons:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news....html?image=29

This quote was interesting to me, because I noticed on one of the pictures towards the end that a LOT of Dean Koontz books were on the bookshelf - he is my favorite author of all times.

"Criminologist Mark Williams-Thomas, a former detective, said: “When we are dealing with paedophile suspects it’s often the books and less than obvious material they have in their home, rather than simply photographs, which provides the key to understanding the types of thing that cause them to be excited and want to go out and offend.”

Anyways, Dean Koontz is VERY much in tune with the battle between good and evil in this world. I bet those books were there because Jaycee liked them - not because PG liked them. Dean Koontz is a master at understanding the extent to which mankind can become monsters and heroes. Each of his books has a "good guy", a "bad guy", and a dog!!! I bet Jaycee liked his books because she could identify with the typical Koontz protagonist - someone who has been terribly wronged and often abused by the evil forces in the world, yet remains a good person at heart. The typical Koontz protagonist also has a very important pet - almost always a dog (often a Golden Retriever), who is key to the story. I bet Jaycee has a cat that LE had better by darn find and take to her RIGHT NOW!!!! That cat who belonged to the kitty litter in those pictures is very important to Jaycee and/or her daughters! This story is breaking my heart. It is a living nightmare, and I wish I could reach out and hug Jaycee, her daughters, and her entire family. God Bless them all!!!
progress.gif

Swimming Pool and Spa Safety Act - Effective January 1, 2007
http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1621

Checklist Requirements for obtaining a building permit
http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1721

So I guess the creep and his wife were not required to get a building permit for his additions? I know they were sheds- but come on...

He should have never been allowed to let the trees and shrubs overgrow. Don't most cities frown on this? I know it is all water under the bridge; however, I hope that other cities/counties will take notice!

I don't know if it's just the picture and I don't know how long roofs normally would stay looking nice, but to me, his roof on his main residence looks pretty new. Even if it's 15 years old, wouldn't some roofer come and put that on and certainly from there one can see the rest of the backyard. I just can not wrap my head around that no one noticed this, the kids, the sheds, etc.

Another thought is that the girls slept in the house much of the time, at least towards the end. I mean, wouldn't people have smelled this 'outhouse' he had set up for them. Again, I'm just not understanding how the heck no one noticed this. The parole officers and police are the first ones that should be ashamed of themselves. Were they really doing their jobs?

Swimming Pool and Spa Safety Act - Effective January 1, 2007
http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1621

Checklist Requirements for obtaining a building permit
http://www.co.contra-costa.ca.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1721

So I guess the creep and his wife were not required to get a building permit for his additions? I know they were sheds- but come on...

He should have never been allowed to let the trees and shrubs overgrow. Don't most cities frown on this? I know it is all water under the bridge; however, I hope that other cities/counties will take notice!
In many areas that are unincorporated codes are either not implemented or adhered to. Most who live in an unincorporated area like not being part of the City Limits as they do as they please with little or no interference.

This was posted in the media thread today. And I still just cannot get over this.

As recently as June, two months before Dugard was discovered with the Garridos, Contra Costa County firefighters responded to a fire on the property. They doused a car engine that had exploded into flames at the rear of the property, said department spokeswoman Emily Hopkins. They spent two hours there and then left.

They also visited Garrido's property in fall 2007, after a neighbor reported fire coming from the backyard. In addition, they responded twice in 2008 and three times in 2009 to medical emergencies involving Garrido's elderly mother, Patricia Franzen.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/07/garrido.dugard.missed.opportunities/index.html

That means that twice the fire department was right there in the back yard where Jaycee and two children lived. I mean I don't know which part of the yard they were in, but they would have been close. Did they not see signs that the yard was being lived in?

Oh BTW, the 2007 fire, it looks like one more attempt by the neighbors to draw attention to the back yard.

Locals that live in the area I have a question. In my area when the fire department goes out, usually one of the local cops will go by to see if they need assistance in any way. Like directing traffic or controlling bystanders. Do you know if the local LE does that?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
08nomdeplume
Back