The Box From Hell (BFH) - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking that Seka was a nurse who worked with GW? Do I have her mixed up with someone else?

I was thinking that Seka was a nurse who worked with GW? Do I have her mixed up with someone else?
I think that was only a possibility we considered. Here's something else to look at, a note which appears to have been written at about the same time as the Seka letters, with GB's handwriting scribbled on top. Whatever it involved, it was clearly more than a casual encounter.

Attachments

• GHW "L'Etoile".jpg
    GHW "L'Etoile".jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 189
i forgot what thread post number it was on but someone did post a picture of a george spelled differently he was an olympic person of some sorts i totaly forgot what sport but there was talk about it not sure if it was checked out not checked out

I think that was only a possibility we considered. Here's something else to look at, a note which appears to have been written at about the same time as the Seka letters, with GB's handwriting scribbled on top. Whatever it involved, it was clearly more than a casual encounter.
Apparently so. From The Sacramento Bee, 2006:

The friendly, beautifully updated Huntington has opened a world-class spa with 10 treatment rooms and a horizon pool in what was the home of the L’Etoile restaurant and bar, home-awayfrom- home for the rich and famous for 23 years. The spa’s floor-to-ceiling windows overlook the city and invite visitors to take time for self-indulgence.

These changes were orchestrated by the hotel’s owners, the Newton Cope family, which has deep roots in Sacramento.

The Huntington’s updates play havoc with my childhood memories of a special family stay there – at a time when women wore hats and gloves and men polished their shoes before stepping out for dinner in a suit and tie. But the generous size of the hotel’s guest rooms (all four of us were in one room) were preserved during the renovation, giving guests the benefit of the hotel’s start in life in 1924 as an apartment house. It became a hotel in 1957.

Just an FYI for newcomers: The repetitive nature of some of this analysis is because each comment is based on a small portion of the handwriting sample. When mutiple sections of the sample elicit a similar analysis, this means that the evidence for that trait is overwhelming. With that in mind, note how many times that Brody is described as immoral and having a "disturbed self-concept" (in other words, he thinks way too highly of himself).

Was all of the analysis just based on the handwriting itself, or did she also factor in the content of the letters?

Any recollection how the postcard was signed? That could be of great help.
Here is the only postcard I could find in the box. Note that something has been scribbled out. Whatever we have in these papers was either deliberately left or overlooked, and I would say that this card was deliberately left.

Attachments

• Seka card.jpg
    Seka card.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Seka card01.jpg
    Seka card01.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 141
Here is the only postcard I could find in the box. Note that something has been scribbled out. Whatever we have in these papers was either deliberately left or overlooked, and I would say that this card was deliberately left.

Thank you Annasmom.

This postcard tells me that Seka was from a well-to-do family. They had a beach house which very few people could afford back then.

The postal stamp indicates it was sent from the Belgrade post office located in the Zvezdara municipality in the SE part of the city: 11109 Beograd 14, Bulevar kralja Aleksandra 121, 2403-732. Seka's family lived in that area?

Seka wrote she had arrived to Belgrade at the beginning of June and would return to the US at the beginning of September. It sounds like a school vacation. Maybe she was studying in the US?

Not sure how meaningful this is but it does help in creating a picture of Seka and her family.

Thank you Annasmom.

This postcard tells me that Seka was from a well-to-do family. They had a beach house which very few people could afford back then.

The postal stamp indicates it was sent from the Belgrade post office located in the Zvezdara municipality in the SE part of the city: 11109 Beograd 14, Bulevar kralja Aleksandra 121, 2403-732. Seka's family lived in that area?

Seka wrote she had arrived to Belgrade at the beginning of June and would return to the US at the beginning of September. It sounds like a school vacation. Maybe she was studying in the US?

Not sure how meaningful this is but it does help in creating a picture of Seka and her family.

Obviously she was NOT a waitress at Denny's. There is nothing with an address on it...addresses had been removed from papers left in the BFH. I did check a date on the handwritten letter from GB to Seka's family, however. It was Nov. 15, so it would have been written some time after she returned to San Francisco from spending the summer in Yugoslavia. It does sound as if this was more than a passing acquaintance, doesn't it?

Obviously she was NOT a waitress at Denny's. There is nothing with an address on it...addresses had been removed from papers left in the BFH. I did check a date on the handwritten letter from GB to Seka's family, however. It was Nov. 15, so it would have been written some time after she returned to San Francisco from spending the summer in Yugoslavia. It does sound as if this was more than a passing acquaintance, doesn't it?

Correction: The letter to Seka's parents was dated Nov. 15, 1976. The postcard from Seka to "Mr. George" was dated July 21, 1978.

Yes, indeed, I would approve. I will search for the Seka correspondence this morning. I remember one very long letter from Brody to either Seka or her parents which said something like "say hello to the Danube for me".

Do you have this letter? I wonder if Danube could be one of GB weird little play on words. Are you sure of the spelling?

Does anyone have a subscription to ancestry.com? I let my subscription run out and I don't have time to renew until after harvest. I need a look up...

Thanks for the clarification. Like most of the theories advanced, it was mere speculation.

Could anyone tell me how to go about finding a list of college graduates by year? I would like to try to identify Seka that way.

Thank you.

Could anyone tell me how to go about finding a list of college graduates by year? I would like to try to identify Seka that way.

Thank you.
Classmates.com or Reunion.com are both good places to start, though you need a (paid) subscription to view profiles for both. Also many people register, but never complete a profile. I have found a couple long lost 1st cousins in Sacramento, CA this way. I have a subscription to classmates.com if you need a look up.

Is it possible that Seka sent the postcard for GW instead of GB? She addressed it to GW's PO Box. She signs the postcard with "Love". The letters to her family are handwritten by GB and were probably dictated by GB.

Is it possible that Seka sent the postcard for GW instead of GB? She addressed it to GW's PO Box. She signs the postcard with "Love". The letters to her family are handwritten by GB and were probably dictated by GB.

Hummm, that's interesting. Maybe Brody was trying to play matchmaker. I have to say, the letter to Seka's parents was most bizarre. If my dad would have received a letter like that from a man trying to "swoon" me, he would have locked me up and thrown away the key. The letter just screams psycho.

I forgot to mention, there seems to be a famous *advertiser censored* star that goes by the name Seka who would have lived in the area at the time. But she's from VA. b. 6-13-42

Obviously, my assumption about Seka being Croatian was wrong. The mention of Dunav river does suggest her parents lived in Serbia.

I gather from the letters she had a brother and her parents were upset with George's influence. Was there an address in Belgrade?

What leads you to believe Seka's name was Ingrid?

Thanks.

Am I falling behind? Where is the mention of Dunav River? Who is Ingrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam