The British Royal Family #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the distances involved are crazy compared to here (the UK is about the same size as Oregon) and the topography would be more challenging. They're used a lot here for everyday travel in and out of cities, lots of commuter trains and regional lines as well as longer journeys. I must admit though that UK train travel is increasingly expensive and unreliable, especially compared to some of our European counterparts like Italy and France.

We have commuter trains in larger cities. I rode one mixed with a subway I think from long island, New York into Manhattan.

Where I live our mass transit is city buses. So trains are a big deal to us lol.

Queen to send private message to Dame Vera Lynn’s family

The Queen is to send a private message of condolence to Dame Vera Lynn’s family.

Buckingham Palace said the monarch, who is staying at Windsor Castle, will write to express her sympathy after the Forces’ Sweetheart died at the age of 103.

The Queen echoed the singer’s famous Second World War anthem in her televised address on coronavirus in April, telling the nation: “We will meet again.”

The pair – who were born nine years apart – met on many occasions through the decades and shared a bond due to their wartime experiences.

Dame Vera spent time with the teenage Princess Elizabeth and her family in 1945 at Windsor Castle, where the princess stayed for her safety during the Second World War, just as she has done in lockdown.

The singer and the royals celebrated the impending German surrender together, weeks ahead of the official announcement of peace.

At a party in the castle, she joined other entertainers and the Windsors “for a sort of private victory celebration”.

Queen to send private message to Dame Vera Lynn’s family

The Queen is to send a private message of condolence to Dame Vera Lynn’s family.

Buckingham Palace said the monarch, who is staying at Windsor Castle, will write to express her sympathy after the Forces’ Sweetheart died at the age of 103.

The Queen echoed the singer’s famous Second World War anthem in her televised address on coronavirus in April, telling the nation: “We will meet again.”

The pair – who were born nine years apart – met on many occasions through the decades and shared a bond due to their wartime experiences.

Dame Vera spent time with the teenage Princess Elizabeth and her family in 1945 at Windsor Castle, where the princess stayed for her safety during the Second World War, just as she has done in lockdown.

The singer and the royals celebrated the impending German surrender together, weeks ahead of the official announcement of peace.

At a party in the castle, she joined other entertainers and the Windsors “for a sort of private victory celebration”.
Oh, I didn't realize these two were personal friends and Dame Lynn stayed at Windsor with the young Elizabeth and Margaret during the worst of the war years

That's very sweet, and yet so sad, too.

Last edited:
This is a nice article about Dame Vera Lynn. Nice to associate a face with that wonderful voice:

shutterstock_editorial_1059432a.jpg

Dame Vera Lynn, the forces’ sweetheart, dies aged 103 | Tatler

This is a nice article about Dame Vera Lynn. Nice to associate a face with that wonderful voice:

Dame Vera Lynn, the forces’ sweetheart, dies aged 103 | Tatler

She is very much a national treasure to generations of Brits. Your Betty White, if you like!

Here she is having a catch up with the Queen in 1973:

3681.jpg

One’s favourite songs: the Queen reveals her pop picks

And again in 1992:

_112968764_queen.jpg

Royalty and Boris Johnson lead Dame Vera tributes

I'd LOVE to see a picture of them together in war time, if anyone comes across one.

Last edited:
The Queen leads royal family tributes to Dame Vera Lynn, who died on Thursday aged 103

The Queen has paid her respects to Dame Vera Lynn, whose songs helped raise morale in World War Two, following her death on Thursday aged 103. Buckingham Palace revealed that Her Majesty sent a private message of condolence to Dame Vera's family, while Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall posted a tribute on social media.

Sharing a series of photographs of the late singer with Charles and Camilla, including one of her receiving her honour at Buckingham Palace, they posted on their Clarence House Twitter and Instagram account: "Remembering Dame Vera Lynn."

Earlier this year, the Queen referenced one of Dame Vera's most beloved songs when she addressed the country, who were separated from families and friends during the coronavirus lockdown, saying: "We will meet again."

In April, Dame Vera opened up about her reaction to hearing the Queen reference her song, telling The Sun: "I watched the speech, which was wonderful, but I didn’t know she was going to finish with the words, we will meet again. I have met the Queen on a number of occasions.

"You have to have something and someone we can look up to and rely on in times of trouble - and Her Majesty is that person." Speaking about the song, Dame Vera added: "It's a good song, as it goes with anyone, anywhere, saying goodbye to someone."

In 2016, Dame Vera was made a Member of the Order of the Companions of Honour by the Queen, to celebrate 80 years of service to the entertainment industry. Last month, the singer became the oldest artist to score a top 40 album in the UK when her greatest hits album was re-entered in the charts at number 30.

Dreadful casting IMO. It can be difficult for any actress to capture Diana's gracefulness and personality, but an actress seriously lacking in either has no chance whatsoever. JMO
What a strange choice. The actress who portrayed Diana the best IMO is Naomi Watts. She really captured all her mannerisms well. I had to remind myself that she was just acting.
I don't know what more can be said about Diana at this point, that could make me want to watch Kristin Stewart...

It’s not a common experience for most Americans. We truly don’t have enough lines. You would be shocked, I think, if you saw our map of passenger rail. It’s pitiful. I was hoping we would get one from Chicago straight down to Georgia.

Next time you're in northern California, visit the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento:

California State Railroad Museum

Not quite the Hogwarts Express, but they have a sleeper car on a computer-controlled platform. Sounds & feels like riding the train! Brought tears to my eyes, my family lives in New Mexico & I've ridden the Super Chief many, many times.

The St. Hyacinthe is displayed in the Museum as a typical sleeping car traveling at night: a mechanical device built by the Museum rocks the car to simulate motion, berths are made-up, a lone passenger is sound asleep in his compartment, and lights of passing towns and grade crossings flash by the windows. A soundtrack simulates the typical night sounds of a fast-traveling heavyweight passenger train: the rhythmic clicking of the wheels, the distant whistle of the locomotive, and the descending Doppler effect of passing crossing bells.

I want to ride the Hogwarts Express, though.

Back in the '70's, my best friend & I rode around Europe with a EuRail pass. (And her parents.)
BritRail was separate, we did ride trains in Great Britain but not as much.

Next time you're in northern California, visit the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento:

California State Railroad Museum

Not quite the Hogwarts Express, but they have a sleeper car on a computer-controlled platform. Sounds & feels like riding the train! Brought tears to my eyes, my family lives in New Mexico & I've ridden the Super Chief many, many times.

The St. Hyacinthe is displayed in the Museum as a typical sleeping car traveling at night: a mechanical device built by the Museum rocks the car to simulate motion, berths are made-up, a lone passenger is sound asleep in his compartment, and lights of passing towns and grade crossings flash by the windows. A soundtrack simulates the typical night sounds of a fast-traveling heavyweight passenger train: the rhythmic clicking of the wheels, the distant whistle of the locomotive, and the descending Doppler effect of passing crossing bells.

I want to ride the Hogwarts Express, though.

Back in the '70's, my best friend & I rode around Europe with a EuRail pass. (And her parents.)
BritRail was separate, we did ride trains in Great Britain but not as much.

My husband works at Kings Cross and sees platform 9 3/4 every day. No Hogwarts Express tho!

Platform 9¾ at King’s Cross Station | Harry Potter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member