The case for murder

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a good theory about why the rope was tied to the bed instead of the balcony railing. It only makes sense from a murderer's perspective. Had the murderers attached/tied the hanging rope from the balcony railing, they would have to ENTER the balcony and leave indelible footprints on the dusty balcony floor.

So instead, the murderers tied the noose-hanging rope using stabilizing knots on the bedpost inside the murder room. They used gloves to handle everything -- the ropes, paint, knives, bindings of Rebecca. That is why NO prints/DNA were found on the items, and only mixed DNA were found which they might inadvertently have left despite wearing gloves.

The reason they tied the hanging rope inside the murder room is because each of the three defendants now named in the Zahaus' wrongful death suit (Dina, Nina and Adam) felt, if the investigators found any of their DNA/prints in the room, they can easily explain the prints/DNA away. Dina could say she had lived in the Spreckels mansion with Jonah in the past, and Nina and Adam could claim they visited and used that murder room in the past. They'd all be able to claim that it is not unusual for some of their residual prints/DNA to still be inside the murder room because they had used it (frequently) in the past.

However, had the murderers wanted to tie the rope to the balcony railing, they would have to step onto the dusty balcony and in doing so, they would have to leave FOOTPRINTS. Their footprints would indicate they were at the Spreckels mansion RECENTLY. THAT they cannot easily explain away because no one would reasonably believe that these three defendants' footprints were left "from the distant past" when likely rain would have washed those old footprints off and dust would have then accumulated on top of those old footprints, thoroughly covering them already.

And OMG I just had a eureka moment. A most plausible theory as to why the 3-legged table broke is that the 3 murderers had originally wanted to hang the rope directly from the balcony railing but did not want to walk onto the dusty balcony floor to tie the rope for fear they'd leave footprints. So they tried to stand atop the courtyard table to tie the rope to the balcony railing FROM BELOW. But when the murderers climbed atop the table, they were so heavy, one leg of the table broke off! :scared:

In short, I believe strongly that the murderers then decided the best place to tie the hanging rope would be to the bedpost inside the murder room. They stood at the balcony doors inside the room and threw the hogtied Rebecca over the balcony railing. That is why there was a shoeprint and bootprint at the balcony doors only.

Nice thinking! Yes, I think there is good reason the murder(s) tied it to the bed - there is no reason someone would if they were committing suicide. And, I think the forensics match with all this.

I am still pondering that maybe Becky was hung from the inside balcony. That would be too obvious though so she was moved to look like she was hung from the outside balcony and/or to make sure it was a public display. There could be another purpose and that is to divert any attention from forensic evidence away from the initial crime scene and to stage the other.

I still think Becky was outdoors - those dirty feet. The gloves (one pair was outside?) And either the table broke as you say or someone was standing on it prior to her being hung from the balcony for some other reason.

the big man is behind this...

not the little lady that the big man scoffs at
as a nothing and a nobody.

that's what she is to him
and if she didn't know, now she knows

she better open that trap of hers
before she falls right into his trap.

I heard she wiped the table with him in the divorce.

big men do not stop until they have destroyed their opponent.

Do you think he was going to sit back and let her get the better of him?
No, he would even the score.

Nice thinking! Yes, I think there is good reason the murder(s) tied it to the bed - there is no reason someone would if they were committing suicide. And, I think the forensics match with all this.

I am still pondering that maybe Becky was hung from the inside balcony. That would be too obvious though so she was moved to look like she was hung from the outside balcony and/or to make sure it was a public display. There could be another purpose and that is to divert any attention from forensic evidence away from the initial crime scene and to stage the other.

I still think Becky was outdoors - those dirty feet. The gloves (one pair was outside?) And either the table broke as you say or someone was standing on it prior to her being hung from the balcony for some other reason.

I would guess the rope was tied to the bed to make it very clear that Rebecca had fallen from, or been pushed over, the balcony (whether or not that is how she actually died). If the rope had been tied to the balcony railing, it would've lacked the dramatic impact of emulating Max's fall. Also, the writing on the bedroom door seemed to be inviting someone into the bedroom to discover the grizzly scene. I suspect whoever painted that message on the door hoped the scene would be discovered by someone entering the home, not the courtyard. After reading the message, the person would enter the room, see the rope and knives, and then follow the rope out to the balcony to make a grizzly discovery.

All of the above is just my opinion.

I would guess the rope was tied to the bed to make it very clear that Rebecca had fallen from, or been pushed over, the balcony (whether or not that is how she actually died). If the rope had been tied to the balcony railing, it would've lacked the dramatic impact of emulating Max's fall. Also, the writing on the bedroom door seemed to be inviting someone into the bedroom to discover the grizzly scene. I suspect whoever painted that message on the door hoped the scene would be discovered by someone entering the home, not the courtyard. After reading the message, the person would enter the room, see the rope and knives, and then follow the rope out to the balcony to make a grizzly discovery.

All of the above is just my opinion.

Zinn, that is an interesting perspective. Yes, I can see how someone would walk down the hallway, see the door, walk in, see the rope going outside, and then they would have to walk out onto the balcony. Maybe someone thought this would be discovered a bit later and it wouldn't be Adam?

I always thought maybe Jonah was scheduled to leave the hospital about 7 am and that was about the time Dina got back to the hospital.

I wonder if the screams heard by neighbors were from RZ?

OR, from DS or NR or ???

Yes, I think she took everything off the internet. It was a pretty good demonstration.

Hinky, being about the same height and weight as RZ, stood behind a dining chair. IIRC, she adjusted for differences in height of railing vs. back of chair by standing on something. With her hands behind her back and with her feet bound together, she tried to raise herself high enough to get her waist and upper body over the back of the chair. It was extremely difficult, pretty much impossible, IIRC.

RZ would have had to do a lot of squirming around and jumping, to get high enough to get over. Nearly impossible to do with gag and binding on hands and feet.

I searched yesterday on YouTube under Hinky Meter. There are a few storm chasing videos left, but the Zahau reenactment is gone. Valhall did an amazing job reenacting the balcony jump. She also had a reenactment of using the tshirt as a gag. Val had a difficult time breathing and had to loosen the shirt just to catch her breath during the reenactment. It would have been impossible for RZ to tie the gag, place it in her mouth, slide her hand back in the rope and then hoist herself over the balcony without losing her breath before the alleged jump. The circus jump wasn't the only preposterous scenario.

I sure miss Valhall!

OR, from DS or NR or ???

Could have been NR if she walked in on something she didn't expect to see or something she didn't think would really end up the way it did.

I listened to the audio of Tricia's show again.
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/websle...as-true-crime-radio-sunday-night-8-pm-eastern

At the 72:30 mark they began discussing this case. She said the Websleuths poster was cynic. So the animation *Lash* posted from Page 1 of this thread seems to be what Tricia was referring to.

Somehow I expected something more extensive. But this is not meant to diminish the fine work by cynic.

Thank you sdmike1974!

Beth Karas (HLN/Court TV) was shocked the case was closed and found it to be a suicide! How, how do you do that? She has always been very suspicious of it, very.

http://blogtalk.vo.llnwd.net/o23/show/4/988/show_4988353.mp3

Thank you for asking the question Quester :)

OR, from DS or NR or ???

Not likely from the twins........the neighbors heard cries for help, not someone screaming with glee!

Yes, I think she took everything off the internet. It was a pretty good demonstration.

Hinky, being about the same height and weight as RZ, stood behind a dining chair. IIRC, she adjusted for differences in height of railing vs. back of chair by standing on something. With her hands behind her back and with her feet bound together, she tried to raise herself high enough to get her waist and upper body over the back of the chair. It was extremely difficult, pretty much impossible, IIRC.

RZ would have had to do a lot of squirming around and jumping, to get high enough to get over. Nearly impossible to do with gag and binding on hands and feet.

I saved links to the videos, but I should have saved the videos.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7G8JN3IzVE"]YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYn010FB8c8"]YouTube[/ame]

The videos which were public are now private. It's unfortunate because it was an effective deomonstration.

I saved the links to the videos, but I should have saved the videos.

YouTube

YouTube

The videos which were public are now private. It's unfortunate because it was an effective deomonstration.

What a bummer...but thank you so much for trying. I agree, they were excellent demonstrations. Boy, do we miss Valhall and the hinkymeter. :(

Anyone know her well enough to beg her out of retirement for these?

Thanks Cynic for trying! Am in the same boat as had the link but didn't save the video.

This might help. Have attached Valhall's excellent "The Geometry in Rebecca's Fall." Valhall's "science" proves without a doubt it was physically impossible for Rebecca to have gone over the railing on her own.

Luckily I made PDF copies of most all of Val's Rebecca articles, brilliant every one of them!

All rights reserved. The Hinky Meter.

Attachments

• Rebecca Zahau case- The geometry in Rebecca’s fall | The Hinky Meter_9_14_11.pdf
    713.7 KB · Views: 20
Thanks Cynic for trying! Am in the same boat as had the link but didn't save the video.

This might help. Have attached Valhall's excellent "The Geometry in Rebecca's Fall." Valhall's "science" proves without a doubt it was physically impossible for Rebecca to have gone over the railing on her own.

Luckily I made PDF copies of most all of Val's Rebecca articles, brilliant every one of them!

I usually don’t make that mistake, Carioca. I learned a few years ago that if you run across something that you find valuable on the internet, save it.
Its turned me into a bit of a digital “hoarder,” but at least with digital hoarding you don’t end up with a house filled to the rafters. :D

It really is sad about the demise of Val’s website, it was such a strong voice for justice for Rebecca.

I searched yesterday on YouTube under Hinky Meter. There are a few storm chasing videos left, but the Zahau reenactment is gone. Valhall did an amazing job reenacting the balcony jump. She also had a reenactment of using the tshirt as a gag. Val had a difficult time breathing and had to loosen the shirt just to catch her breath during the reenactment. It would have been impossible for RZ to tie the gag, place it in her mouth, slide her hand back in the rope and then hoist herself over the balcony without losing her breath before the alleged jump. The circus jump wasn't the only preposterous scenario.

I sure miss Valhall!

I remember the tshirt re-enacting too. She found it very difficult to breathe and cautioned others to not try it.

These were all fairly simple things to re-enact, easily showing how impossible the suicide scenario is.

I miss Valhall, too!

Thanks, Carioca!

I also miss Valhall and her site very much.

Has there been discussion about the lack of fecal matter/urine on her or the ground below her 'hanging' body?

Maybe a verified medical poster can answer but I thought with hanging deaths the body releases and there would be some type of body fluids present.

Also I read here that one of the sisters borrowed JS's car the night of the murder. Wouldn't his keychain include a key to the mansion? I've always thought RZ was suprised while coming out of the shower and struck on the head. She walks out...sees 'intruder' and screams(screaming heard) and was struck in the head. I can't believe she would have let the murderer(s) into HER home while naked.

What a bummer...but thank you so much for trying. I agree, they were excellent demonstrations. Boy, do we miss Valhall and the hinkymeter. :(

Anyone know her well enough to beg her out of retirement for these?

I'll ask her. :)

I usually don’t make that mistake, Carioca. I learned a few years ago that if you run across something that you find valuable on the internet, save it.
Its turned me into a bit of a digital “hoarder,” but at least with digital hoarding you don’t end up with a house filled to the rafters. :D

It really is sad about the demise of Val’s website, it was such a strong voice for justice for Rebecca.

I too am guilty of being a digital hoarder. I have at least 10 sub folders under Rebecca's digital folder. My files are all properly backed up in case of a crash. I have also become a screenshot fanatic. Articles and comments on the internet have a tendency to disappear especially in high profile cases like this one.

On another note, thank you Cynic for all the hard work you have put into this case. I was faithfully reading your comments on this case before I even became a member of WS. You're an awesome contributor :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez