The Duct Tape Match #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I got my call and Melanie at Henkel said it sounds like this is aluminum tape and it is a specially tape that is may have only been shipped to certain areas. I sent her the photo of the tape and she is going to research where it is sold and when it was sold in FL.

thank you HP,

you posted as I was requesting LOL. This looks like a tape used for repairing the ducts in air and heat ducts in a house. I wonder how wide this strip is? I am trying to redial but all lines are busy, must be us WSers. I will keep trying.

It can also be used for temporary repairs to hoses in a car. My mechanic uses tape like this, calls it "200mhr tape".:rolleyes:

OK, I got my call and Melanie at Henkel said it sounds like this is aluminum tape and it is a specially tape that is may have only been shipped to certain areas. I sent her the photo of the tape and she is going to research where it is sold and when it was sold in FL.

Great Work!!

I haven't really researched the tape until today, and it sounds like it will be very easy to implicate the person because this tape isn't just anywhere with that logo on it to buy. Lots of us have been looking for it in stores and no luck. They will call tomorrow and let me know where they shipped that tape and when down here.

Question, would it be possible for Casey to to hide her fingerprints by shaving some skin off her fingertips? I saw that in a movie once (can't remember which one) but I wonder if that is done would she still leave prints? And since the police didn't see her for 31 days the skin would have grown back by then. Also, shaving off the skin on her fingertips would not have been easily noticed by others. Just wondering.

According to police when I had my fingerprints taken to comply with employer requesting them for a background check, there are three groups of people who sometimes have smooth fingers and their prints aren't always easily taken. Teachers, clerical workers, and bricklayers. Mine have been unable to be read at least 4 times.

But I guess, that can't be the problem with KC, she didn't work now, did she?

I'm a new member, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I ran across this FBI research on duct tape while trying (unsuccessfully) to find Henkel brand with the logo -- http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan2007/research/2007_01_research01.htm . I haven't read it in detail yet, but it may give some insight into what the FBI is looking at.

Also, it appears that duct tape is used a lot in the automotive industry, and GA worked in used auto sales. Any possibility this tape with the logo was sold wholesale to auto industry?

I'm a new member, so forgive me if this has been discussed before. I ran across this FBI research on duct tape while trying (unsuccessfully) to find Henkel brand with the logo -- http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan2007/research/2007_01_research01.htm . I haven't read it in detail yet, but it may give some insight into what the FBI is looking at.

Also, it appears that duct tape is used a lot in the automotive industry, and GA worked in used auto sales. Any possibility this tape with the logo was sold wholesale to auto industry?
Welcome!

I hope this and other threads make sense to you. I believe you do not have access to all images posted until you have done about 50 posts.

I mentioned the automotive angle earlier on. Even so, I expected there to be several other examples of this "logo" tape reported. It will be interesting to see if "Bern" reports that this tape is supplied to automotive industry. Then we can look at GA links.

The FBI still has tape samples. We have not yet seen reports or even what tests they are doing.

According to police when I had my fingerprints taken to comply with employer requesting them for a background check, there are three groups of people who sometimes have smooth fingers and their prints aren't always easily taken. Teachers, clerical workers, and bricklayers. Mine have been unable to be read at least 4 times.

Not unless you count 'pole dancer' and 'pickpocket.' Both jobs could possibly wear at your fingertips.

Also, all the facebook/myspace updates, text messaging, cellphone dialing and sending fake emails to yourself from your fake job -- that could possibly count for clerical work and account for smooth fingerprints.

Thank you for the welcome HP! Can't wait to hear back "Bern". I'm sure the FBI and LE have this all figured out already -- wish they would share. But then again, sleuthing sure is fun!

OMG That clarifies something I wondered about: when I got fingerprinted for my CCW, the cop did my prints, no big deal. 6 weeks later, no CCW. I call to find out why not, "oh your fingerprints didn't show up, you have to do it again". The second time the cop fingerprinted me he practically yelled at me, accused me of washing my hands too much, dishes too much, (yeah RIGHT). So I've wondered what's up. I'm a clerical worker- and I type on my computer about 10-12 hours a day. So the keys wear off your fingerprints?

Ironically "duct" tape is terrible for taping AC/heating ducts. "Duck" tape is brand which uses Henkel adhesive. In the FBI study, they tested 82 rolls of duct tape which they purchased randomly at retailers. Out of the 82 only 1 had the logo on the surface. That equals between 1 and 2 percent. I don't know what city they did this in tho.

Oh and the fingerprints... even if a discernable print is not found, I think it's more likely that skin cells where lifted from the perp. I would think separating any cells from Caylee's cells would be the challenging part.
I watched a Forensic Files the other day and in that case the CSIs found the perp's finger skin cells on a rubberband that he had placed around a bundle of plastic zip ties!

Not unless you count 'pole dancer' and 'pickpocket.' Both jobs could possibly wear at your fingertips.

Also, all the facebook/myspace updates, text messaging, cellphone dialing and sending fake emails to yourself from your fake job -- that could possibly count for clerical work and account for smooth fingerprints.
I imagine it would be easy to identify KC's prints.

Just one huge swollen "texter's thumb"

I imagine it would be easy to identify KC's prints.

Just one huge swollen "texter's thumb"

M. Poirot, I feel I must bring to your attention my recent experiences with the duct tape.

Without going into specifics that implicate myself or others this past weekend, it is virtually impossible to snip, cut, or tear a piece without leaving prints.

The trouble is over-lapping prints, especially for thumb-enhanced persons such as KC.

Regrettably, this was not tested in high chlorine areas, such as the pool or hot tub, to be consistent with the A home.

However, the water from various hurricanes, tropical storms, and rain would have been fresh water, thus leaving prints intact I think, no solvent, then latents available, especially if interfacing hair area?

M. Poirot, I feel I must bring to your attention my recent experiences with the duct tape.

Without going into specifics that implicate myself or others this past weekend, it is virtually impossible to snip, cut, or tear a piece without leaving prints.

The trouble is over-lapping prints, especially for thumb-enhanced persons such as KC.

Regrettably, this was not tested in high chlorine areas, such as the pool or hot tub, to be consistent with the A home.

However, the water from various hurricanes, tropical storms, and rain would have been fresh water, thus leaving prints intact I think, no solvent, then latents available, especially if interfacing hair area?
I am sure you would not have had the audacity to post unless you had read prior posts here?

So you will be aware of the alert we had of a possible Bombshell involving KC shaving off her fingerprints with a stainless steel butter knife?

I would imagine though that the FBI lab is wise to that old trick?

I am sure you would not have had the audacity to post unless you had read prior posts here?

So you will be aware of the alert we had of a possible Bombshell involving KC shaving off her fingerprints with a stainless steel butter knife?

I confess to skimming, and hoped to brazen it out. I had not heard of the butter knife involvement. Sorry for the oversight. Would this be mysterious number 5 of the set?

I crouch at the feet of the master, ear cocked.

BTW, we used ACE hardware generic duct tape. That may account for the results.

:eek: im going to have to read back

kc could have used gloves....like the kind you ware in the winter....they could have found fibers that would match up on some winter gloves....just an idea....

it would be VERY interesting if this brand and type of duct tape is sold for automobile use...and not just sold in the every day store....like Target to say.....

:clap: i cant wait to find out!.....i forget who is in contact with a supplier....sorry for that...but great job to you! :blowkiss:

great work you guys! :woohoo:

OT sort of- I watched some sort of "forensic files" type tv show the other day. A woman was found dead inside her bedroom closet. Resting atop an ankle, was a big flake of skin. It matched hubby. But hubby had an airtight alibi, etc. Turns out, hubby not involved. Hubby had a habit of sitting inside the closet to shave rough skin off his feet and when the wife died, her ankle picked up a stray hunk of dead "foot meat". If LE hadn't of found other eveidence to point to her true killer, Hubby could have been indited from this loose chunk of skin. Scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay