The Duct Tape Match #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LE is not in the habit of letting people know what they are seeking before a search warrant is issued and then rapidly descending upon your house. They don't want anyone to discard or destroy potential evidence. Unless there was some other line of communication, the Anthonys did not know the cops were coming to seize duct tape until they actually did it. Even when the SW is being executed (searching the property), the family probably is not told what they are looking for. Get out of the way and don't speak to us unless we ask questions.

Agreed. And to add...the duct tape search was part of the first search on the 11th of December. The Anthony's were still in the air flying home from their appearance on LKL when the OCSO cordoned off the house (after telling Mallory to leave). The SW was obtained later that day, and the search conducted that evening, but the Anthony's never were in the house between the time the remains were found and the search conducted.

I'm not arguing that there may be family involvement in DC's visit to the woods. I'm just arguing them knowing enough detail to have any knowledge of duct tape. It's one thing to tell some one "she here and look for pavers and a black trash bag". It's another thing to say "by the way, I duct taped her mouth shut".

It isn't logical.

It also isn't logical to send DC out looking for a black trash bag containing a body. There is no need for him to bring a shovel, either.

If you came upon Caylee's remains in the woods you would see:

1) A white laundry bag containing "something".
2) That bag is not buried and would be visible laying on the ground.

You would not see the black trash bag(s) unless you looked inside the white laundry bag. That would be the alleged appearance of the remains after it was left in the woods. The pavers MAY have been a clue to where to start looking for a WHITE bag that is not buried.

LE is not in the habit of letting people know what they are seeking before a search warrant is issued and then rapidly descending upon your house. They don't want anyone to discard or destroy potential evidence. Unless there was some other line of communication, the Anthonys did not know the cops were coming to seize duct tape until they actually did it. Even when the SW is being executed (searching the property), the family probably is not told what they are looking for. Get out of the way and don't speak to us unless we ask questions.

Right. LE rather unceremoniously 86'd Mallory and the Anthony's were in flight from Cali when Caylee's remains were found and not allowed back into their home until the search warrants had been executed. They had no opportunity to discard any evidence, even if they had a clue what might be an important evidentiary find.

That being said, I do think it's odd that the roll of duct tape wasn't replaced at all after being most likely used up hanging the posters. But like Valhall previously said, GA probably didn't "put it on the shopping list"!

Seeing that duct tape on the poster right next to Caylee's picture sent a chill through me. I'm not sure it's not "divine intervention" sending the message, but there are a lot angel websleuthers working for justice here.

The visual connection will have a big impact to the jury! It is such cruel irony for CA and GA, and the truth inescapeable. Maybe the defense team better not bring up the subject of duct tape.

Whiteangora, I have to respectfully disagree with you on part of this, having watched all the local stations for the last year.

I agree, Kathi has been great, love her - she asks the questions we'd all like to ask ("Casey, did you kill Caylee?") and is definitely the biggest thorn in the defense's side, but all the other stations have broken stories too. None of them are Baez puppets by any means.

Tony Pipitone and Mike Deforest at Local 6 and Bob Kealing at WESH 2 especially have done some fine investigative reporting.

Just had to give props to all the local stations for breaking stories in this case and trying to get justice for Caylee. :)

You're right, there are some other talented reporters in Orlando,
I got carried away. I am still keeping Kathi towards the top of the list though, especially when I think of some of the local reporters that appeared to be in awe of the Anthonys. Namely, Holly Bristow and Jessica D.

There is some discussion about statistics and probabilities concerning this unusual kind of duct tape. It's apparently rare (compared to other tapes) and has not been sold since 2007. My understanding is that the "has not been sold" is about sales from Henkel to distributors, but not about sales from distributors to retailers, nor retailers to consumers. It is certainly possible that a person could buy this tape from some retail store in 2008 and maybe even right now. It depends on the specific inventories and stock on retail shelves.

Are there any official documents on the history of the sale of this tape specifically for the Greater Orlando area? Here I'm not talking about the observations of Websleuthers that live around there, but instead actual data.

The unique, discontinued, tape was marketed as Henkel “Fireguard Duck Tape” and was designed to “hold, seam, and seal HVAC sheet metal and flex ducts” according to company information bulletins.

As I suggested to John Merchant in a letter this past April, I hope LE has been able to look into whether or not the Anthony home had any work done to the heating and air conditioning system.

It would place a nice little bow on top of the package, for a source, to find the workers had used this type of tape on the duct work and possibly left a roll behind when finished.

I could see that backfiring.The defense would try to link it to a worker who saw Caylee and took her.That happened to Elizabeth Smart.The guy did some work around their house and came back later for Elizabeth. Better if they can show it belonged to G and C IMO.

Seeing that duct tape on the poster right next to Caylee's picture sent a chill through me. I'm not sure it's not "divine intervention" sending the message, but there are a lot angel websleuthers working for justice here.

The visual connection will have a big impact to the jury! It is such cruel irony for CA and GA, and the truth inescapeable. Maybe the defense team better not bring up the subject of duct tape.

AMEN, Curious!!!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!!

How much do you wanna bet that CA, GA, LA and Mallory are racing around FLA removing old posters (with duct tape, that is....)? lol

BBM

I have to wonder what George thinks now, KNOWING that he probably handled the roll of duct tape that was used on Caylee, in order to put up posters OF Caylee.

Back in January and even now, I've always thought that the duct tape info is what sent GA around the bend. I never thought that his actions were of the histrionic variety, either. He knew. He had to know.

There is some discussion about statistics and probabilities concerning this unusual kind of duct tape. It's apparently rare (compared to other tapes) and has not been sold since 2007. My understanding is that the "has not been sold" is about sales from Henkel to distributors, but not about sales from distributors to retailers, nor retailers to consumers. It is certainly possible that a person could buy this tape from some retail store in 2008 and maybe even right now. It depends on the specific inventories and stock on retail shelves.

Are there any official documents on the history of the sale of this tape specifically for the Greater Orlando area? Here I'm not talking about the observations of Websleuthers that live around there, but instead actual data.

About all we have is this excerpt from an email sent Henkel's to another WSer during the spring of this year:

After reviewing the photo of the piece of tape, it was determined that this item was our FD 30 Fireguard Duct Tape. This item has been discontinued for about two (2) years.. The main carrier of the tape was Lowes and we believe it was sold at Lowes through the summer of 2007. The tape may have also been sold at a few ACE Hardware stores, but the main carrier of the tape was Lowes.
The information above does not refer specifically to the Orlando area, but is a nationwide statement. The takeaway is that one probably could not buy it after the summer of 2007...but that is not a certainty as it may have been buried in with other items.

Hi Hot Dogs! :wave:

In the original "Duct Tape Match" thread post 698 by our favorite Musikman:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79908&highlight=duct+tape+match&page=28

Please see his filedropper on the State's duct tape info:
http://www.filedropper.com/henkeldocscertification

Hope this is what you were asking for - I found it very informative!

I could see that backfiring.The defense would try to link it to a worker who saw Caylee and took her.That happened to Elizabeth Smart.The guy did some work around their house and came back later for Elizabeth. Better if they can show it belonged to G and C IMO.

It doesn't matter who ultimately purchased it. KB gave us video of GA actually using this stuff to hang posters. That puts it in the house and in the families hands.

When LE searched the house on 12/11 where was Georges car? I am wondering if it was someplace such as the airport, and a mysterious roll of duct tape went missing from the vehicle into an airport trash can on the way home?

I would really like to know if SA investigated Amy's Duct Tape, and if the text from her to KC is valid.

They would have to know where Amy purchased her "Duct Tape"

If that Henkel's duct tape was used to hang the missing posters where George would set up his donation/info tent, do you all think that it may still be where the Anthonys and Milsteads store all the tables, poles, tent tops, etc? In viewing a video of Milstead approaching Kathi B. in a menacing fashion, emerging from a building...I wonder if that storage building is still in use with Kidfinders. Hopefully LE has checked that out.

I would really like to know if SA investigated Amy's Duct Tape, and if the text from her to KC is valid.

They would have to know where Amy purchased her "Duct Tape"

No reason to think it was Amy's tape, since tape of the same brand and type was also on the Anthony's gas can and on the "Caylee is Missing" posters.

You know, it occurs to me that when LE went to the house to search on December 11, they already knew that the duct tape on Caylee had a "Henkel" logo visible on it. So it may not be the case that they found no duct tape at the house other than on the gas can and brackets. Maybe they found several rolls of duct tape, but didn't take it into evidence because it wasn't the duct tape they were looking for.

You know, it occurs to me that when LE went to the house to search on December 11, they already knew that the duct tape on Caylee had a "Henkel" logo visible on it. So it may not be the case that they found no duct tape at the house other than on the gas can and brackets. Maybe they found several rolls of duct tape, but didn't take it into evidence because it wasn't the duct tape they were looking for.

Thanks.
Or,was George still driving around with it in the Cayleemobile?

Something I've always been wondering...if there weren't any prints found, how were they able to eliminate GA, CA, and LA?

The fingerprints were taken for the purpose of using them as elimination IF latents were found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics
Back