The Duggar Family: 18 Kids & Counting

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But none of the kids have gone on to college, so that indicates to me that it probably isn't heavily encouraged. Not even vo-tech or trade school. The girls don't do any sort of job. They just help their mom take care of the house and the younger kids. That doesn't seem normal for young adult women.

But none of the kids have gone on to college, so that indicates to me that it probably isn't heavily encouraged. Not even vo-tech or trade school. The girls don't do any sort of job. They just help their mom take care of the house and the younger kids. That doesn't seem normal for young adult women.

Some of the kids have, or are attending, college. The 20-year-old daughter (Jill?) is studying to be a midwife. I know it's not the kind of career that many modern young women would consider, and I'm sure if they said, "She's studying to be a nurse," it would be better received.

My niece decided she wanted a career in the Army. I would never choose that as a career (not that I have anything against the armed forces, at all!), it's just not for me.

Obviously, this is what she wants. At some point, she may want more. Maybe she'll want to be a doctor. I can't imagine her parents not supporting her.

ETA: Apparently, 6 of the Duggar kids are taking college courses: http://www.examiner.com/19-kids-and...n-from-19-kids-counting-begin-college-studies

And please, let's not debate over online vs. brick and mortar colleges. My husband got his degree (via the military) from Park University, based in Missouri. His degree is just as valid as if he'd gotten it from Yale.

It looks like that program is helping them get the proper high school credits so they can get into an accredited college, because they were home schooled. Still, they are on the right track. Apparently Arkansas doesn't have the "test-in" program that Minnesota has for home-schooled kids? (Some community colleges allow kids without a traditional high school diploma to attend community college if they pass a test. This is a bypass for home schooled kids to get into college) And they have several universities here in Duluth that offer online and traditional classes. It's the new thing now and I understand that. But--I think it is healthy for young women to leave home and live on their own. Even if they leave home and live with each other as sisters, they should leave their parent's home. It's part of the growing up process.

Community colleges in my state have a test for anyone applying. Good thing. It allows government school graduates to overcome a low act score or allows them in without taking the act. Community a good way to cut the cost of a 4 yr degree regardless if home or government schooled. jmo

(above bbm)
Not all Christians live the way they do for a reward at the end of their life (like, if I live a good enough life, I'll get to go to Heaven). We live the way we do because we are Christians. We're already assured of going to Heaven, based upon what we believe. Good works don't get us into Heaven.

Note: not all who call themselves Christians believe this. Some believe, as you described, that good works will get them into Heaven.

I'd just hate to see you, Linda, get to the end of your life, and find out that God does, indeed exist, and He's looking at you, saying, "What would it have hurt to believe in Me?"

:innocent:

Well now, loving a good debate as I do...if I'm wrong and God asks me...I would ask why he bothered with FREE WILL if he blindly expected me to follow, like a sheep, with zero proof and a book he was too lazy to write himself. I also would tell him just how pathetic he is for allowing innocent children to suffer at the hands of murderers and child rapists, yet claims to "love us" ...........I don't want any part of a God that would do that.

Do you believe only Christians go to heaven?

I would venture to say that Duggar children have better life skills than most their own age.

Really? I don't watch the show but I believe only one of them (the older boy) is even living outside the home. All the females live with parents as far as I know. And frankly taking on-line courses doesn't impress me a bit. And if these weren't Duggars I frankly doubt people would be impressed by that sort of outcome (children living with parents and taking some on-line courses).

Some of the kids have, or are attending, college. The 20-year-old daughter (Jill?) is studying to be a midwife. I know it's not the kind of career that many modern young women would consider, and I'm sure if they said, "She's studying to be a nurse," it would be better received.

My niece decided she wanted a career in the Army. I would never choose that as a career (not that I have anything against the armed forces, at all!), it's just not for me.

Obviously, this is what she wants. At some point, she may want more. Maybe she'll want to be a doctor. I can't imagine her parents not supporting her.

ETA: Apparently, 6 of the Duggar kids are taking college courses: http://www.examiner.com/19-kids-and...n-from-19-kids-counting-begin-college-studies

And please, let's not debate over online vs. brick and mortar colleges. My husband got his degree (via the military) from Park University, based in Missouri. His degree is just as valid as if he'd gotten it from Yale.

Maybe she will want to be a doctor? O'key. Do you realize how difficult it is to get into medical school? She will need excellent GPA and great MCAT scores, to get into medical school. Does she have any of these things?

Apparently Mrs Duggar just had a miscarriage. Has this been discussed already. I think it might be too hard on her body to keep having these pregnancies.

Apparently Mrs Duggar just had a miscarriage. Has this been discussed already. I think it might be too hard on her body to keep having these pregnancies.

I don't doubt it's hard on her body. The possibilities of genetic abnormalities also increase with advanced maternal age. If the fetus was abnormal genetically risk of miscarriage goes up. The Duggars obviously don't test for genetic abnormalities since they wouldn't have an abortion anyway. Frankly I don't think they will stop even now (assuming she is still able to get pregnant), with potentially disastrous consequences.

Several of the girls want to be nurses IIRC. They are taking courses to prepare for that.

I think a couple of the girls work for the local fire department.

The reason they do online courses is because it's cost effective.

We had all this research done in another thread but it was closed.

Those who have read my posts know that I have researched this family extensively, their sect and lifestyle. Women from thier sect can work a family business only. They are really not allowed to work outside the home or outside their father or husband's business.

It is thus very unlikely that any of the girls will be opening up shop or setting out a shingle for a midwifery business.

How do the Duggars have life skills? I doubt they have any friends who aren't part of the Quiverfull movement. None of their kids would last a day at non-fundie college. In 20 years, the Duggar cult compound will house Jim Bob, Michelle, the kids, and the grandkids. In 100 years, on the Census, there will be an option for "Duggar" under Race/Ethnicity.

I also expect each of their kids to have as many kids as possible. They don't believe in birth control and think that it's up to God how many kids they have. I doubt they know a thing about reproduction, yet somehow they're "smart".

I would venture to say that Duggar children have better life skills than most their own age.

Well, the girls sure know how to run a house and raise kids, cook for 20 people, etc. Most girls their ages do not know how to do that.

Those who have read my posts know that I have researched this family extensively, their sect and lifestyle. Women from thier sect can work a family business only. They are really not allowed to work outside the home or outside their father or husband's business.

It is thus very unlikely that any of the girls will be opening up shop or setting out a shingle for a midwifery business.

Yep, I agree completely. I have also done a lot of research on the Duggars. I first saw them when they had ( if I recall correctly)14 children. I thought "What a nice family". Then over the years as I have read more and more about them, from many different sources, all I can say is : I feel very sorry for those kids, mostly the girls. It's just wrong :(

I don't watch the show myself but for people that do-how are the younger kids doing in terms of development?

That's IF the girls decide to continue on in this lifestyle. They could just marry a nice guy, have a couple kids, a career, and/or both. I know the chances are slim, and maybe it's just the idealistic part of me that wants to think their parents wouldn't try to stop them, if they chose to further their education, or not have 20 kids.

Well now, loving a good debate as I do...if I'm wrong and God asks me...I would ask why he bothered with FREE WILL if he blindly expected me to follow, like a sheep, with zero proof and a book he was too lazy to write himself. I also would tell him just how pathetic he is for allowing innocent children to suffer at the hands of murderers and child rapists, yet claims to "love us" ...........I don't want any part of a God that would do that.

Do you believe only Christians go to heaven?

Since you, yourself, say you want no part of a God like this, and you seem pretty adamant, it would serve little purpose to enter into a theological debate with you. Suffice it to say that we live in a fallen world, and suffering does occur this side of Heaven.

I don't watch the show myself but for people that do-how are the younger kids doing in terms of development?

When you say younger kids do you just mean in general? Or are you talking about Josie?

IMO the kids seem to be developing just fine. They are very smart, respectful kids.

Josie, like most premies, has her challenges but she too seems very smart and happy.

JMO

Enough with the theological debate, please. It isnt permitted on the open board and rarely elsewhere.

Disagree and debate the Duggars lifestyle, but do not call them or it names.

TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMN0406
Back