The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bartt, thanks for marking the date for us. The Disappeared show is a great birthday gift for Suzie this year--as is the blog you are putting together. I believe the soul lives on beyond the body and Suzie and your mom receive and feel the love you send out. May we have justice for Suzie, Sherrill and Stacy this year.

By the way, a cultural reference. This is EXACTLY one day before the release of Pink Floyd's 'The Dark Side of the Moon.' One of the most iconic and commercially successful albums of the 20th Century. So, relax and zone out with your copy of Dark Side, I dug my CD up. 'Breathe,' 'On the Run,' 'Time,' 'Money,' 'Us and Them,' ? It's all good.

I am new to this case and watched it on Disappeared Monday. I am hooked!!
Does anyone know anything about what this caller who called AMW said?? Why do the police think he held such clues to this case?

Kathee, thanks for the update. It has been my understanding that the cost would be a mere $400. Why the increase? As I understand it, the hole would simply require a four inch hole easily drilled through the concrete to reach the ground below. Why would this cost so much? That seems horribly overpriced. As one of the ones who offered to pay for this I naturally have an interest in what it will cost.

In any event, the cost is evidently not the problem. It all depends on the police willing to pursue this possible lead. I just wish they would do it and put this to rest.

The cost of the core is contingent on how many samples are taken.

MM, Steve Zellers contacted SPD about Cox AFTER 48 Hours aired.

‘Disappeared’ highlights Central Florida family’s crime tip
Disney, Investigation Discovery, Orlando — posted by halboedeker on March, 6 2011 11:20 AM
Discuss This: Comments(5) | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

Sharon Zellers was murdered in 1978. Photo credit: Steve Zellers

This week’s episode of “Disappeared” focuses on the mysterious case of three women who vanished in Springfield, Mo., in 1992.

But a tip from a Central Florida family is central to the story, which airs at 9 p.m. Monday on Investigation Discovery.

The family of Sharon Zellers alerted the Springfield Police Department that Robert Craig Cox was in the Springfield area, and police tell the program he remains a top suspect in the women’s disappearance.

Cox was sentenced to death in 1988 for the 1978 murder of Zellers, a 19-year-old Disney worker. She had been beaten to death, and her body was found in a sewage pumping station along Sand Lake Road. The Florida Supreme Court later reversed the Cox conviction, saying the evidence against him was too weak.

“Disappeared” notes the crucial role the Zellers family played years ago in the Springfield case. “Lacking sophisticated technology, it’s difficult for local police departments to keep track of convicted criminals in their area,” the narrator says. “So the Zellers family keeps tabs themselves on the man they believe is responsible for Sharon’s murder. When they discover that Cox was in the area when the three women went missing, they tip off the Springfield Police Department.”

Cox is serving a life sentence in Texas for armed robbery.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...-crime-tip.html/comment-page-1#comment-143679

Since we don't have cable, I couldn't watch the show the other night. Thanks to everyone who posted updates and keeps posting new news. This was one of the first cases I started following in-depth here on WS and I check this thread constantly. I'm glad to see it getting attention again.

FYI to anyone who doesn't have ID, you can watch the show via Amazon on Demand video service. It is not free though. You have to pay $1.99 per episode, but you own the rights to watch it as many times as you wish.

I believe you can also download it from Itunes as well, also not free.

Kathee: Thanks for the info on when the Zellers contacted the police. I had thought it was at or near the time the women went missing but in any event the "48 Hours" piece aired in September, 1992 if my memory is correct. That would have preceded the AMW airing which came at the end of December or early January 1993; again as my memory tells me. So the upshot of this is that we don't know the identity of the caller from Jacksonville, Florida who did call with "prime knowledge" of the case. Evidently the police do as I have read they went to Jacksonville to make inquiries. This implies they knew who made the call.

I have surmised that perhaps the Zellers had made the call but I believe that has been knocked down. However, if someone else made the call and again brought up the name of Robert Cox it certainly would have gotten the police's attention as that would have been a second source if in fact he was fingered. Later on, in 1994 and 1995 and about through 1997 a lot of attention was paid to Cox based on something. We also know that Garrison received a lot of attention and frankly he is a mystery to me where he is coming from. The newspaper said he was classified as a "Class X" criminal and would have to serve at least 72 years which would have put his release date at 109 years old. (He was 32 at the time.) Cox, likewise, isn't going anywhere that I know of; certainly not before 2025 when he will be 65 years old. Cox was initially off the radar map with his first, later girlfriend's recanted "ironclad" alibi, and then reinstated as the top suspect is my understanding, although many do not believe he did this. Carnahan is another often mentioned POI. I think that Bartt Streeter's blog site essentially boils down the top suspects. Highly recommended.

If there are any other high profile suspects besides these three and the grave robbers I'm unaware of them. If none of these guys were involved we have to necessarily conclude that an unknown killer exists out there somewhere; perhaps someone like Revak who committed suicide while in jail.

I am not sure the show provided anything that we didnt already have. It seems to have followed along the lines of the newspaper accounts. It left a tremendous amount of history out of the show. The nice thing is it settled a lot of what has been argued about before. It settled for me several things:

The feelings of what the people were thinking during the day time hours initially sounds much more plausible.

It cleared up Suzies involvement in the vandalism. None, but she gave a statement that ultimately caused the charges to be filed.

It showed that Cox was answering a question about his personal thought on what occurred when he said, " I know they are dead and buried close to Springfield"

It also gave me the impression that they really had no idea about Cox, whether he was responsible or if he was just enjoying the attention.

It cleared up misconceptions about the relationship between Suzie and Stacy.

I think it really honed in on the porchlady van sighting as credible.

Overall it left me believing that they still have no idea what happened and for me it was about what I expected. Still need something new to come along to help solve it.

The cost of the core is contingent on how many samples are taken.

MM, Steve Zellers contacted SPD about Cox AFTER 48 Hours aired.

Actually Zellers contacted the SPD at about two weeks after the crime. 48 hours aired in September.

"almost two weeks after the three women were taken, Zellars brother Steve heard about the disappearences. He said he and his parents had kept track of Cox since his sisters murder. He knew Cox was living there. He called the Springfield Police from Florida. He said the police were interested, "they didnt even know he was serving parole there"

NL jan 1996

Actually Zellers contacted the SPD at about two weeks after the crime. 48 hours aired in September.

"almost two weeks after the three women were taken, Zellars brother Steve heard about the disappearances. He said he and his parents had kept track of Cox since his sisters murder. He knew Cox was living there. He called the Springfield Police from Florida. He said the police were interested, "they didn't even know he was serving parole there"

NL jan 1996

That was my recollection as well although I wasn't sure the exact time but it was within the month of June.

As to your previous post, it appears that any ambiguity about whether or not Cox and Mr. McCall worked together seems to have been solidified. Of course we don't know if they had any interaction at the dealership. That was one of the few things I learned from the program. I did watch the extended interview with Mrs. McCall and she provided some information I didn't know, one of which she wants or wanted the garage floor cored.

The other detail was the business about the items seen in one of the grave robber's home which were missing on a follow-up visit. That I did not know.

I have to agree with you in your previous post that the SPD really don't have a straight line to solving this case. In reviewing some recovered e-mails I had from someone very close to the investigation (a N/L reporter) it was evident that no one really knew what went down. I find myself very unfulfilled and frustrated that this case seemingly has stalled without any resolution in sight.

"almost two weeks after the three women were taken, Zellars brother Steve heard about the disappearences. He said he and his parents had kept track of Cox since his sisters murder. He knew Cox was living there. He called the Springfield Police from Florida. He said the police were interested, "they didnt even know he was serving parole there"

NL jan 1996

Well, that's another FACT the News Leader has WRONG!!! I have talked with Steve ZellErs many times and HE SAYS he contacted SPD AFTER 48 Hours aired. HE Says he had NO knowledge of the Three Missing Women until HE WATCHED the program with his parents while he was visiting them.

Obviously they NEVER talked with him or his parents.....they didn't even spell his last name right.

You can't take everything the newspaper reported as truth or fact. Some of the information is wrong...I was told by a former reporter that at the request of the SPD some things reported were bogus in the hope that the perp/s would say that's not what happened.

Is there any sense of when a decision will be made as to whether they will inspect the parking structure? What would be gained by waiting any longer after all of these years? Maybe these women can be found, at least. Or rule out the darned thing.

Is there any sense of when a decision will be made as to whether they will inspect the parking structure? What would be gained by waiting any longer after all of these years? Maybe these women can be found, at least. Or rule out the darned thing.

I agree..I don't know if I believe for sure that they are there or not..but it needs to be ruled in or ruled out.

I feel that Chief Williams probably does want to do the dig. But it takes a chain of evidence that would put the bodies there for LE to get a search warrant for a dig. The law does not allow for a fishing expedition to see what could be found there whether it is the 3MW, the OK3, or tree roots. LE obviously doesn't have any clear evidence that would put the bodies there, to get the warrant. Perhaps tips from the Disappeared program will lead to some.

I feel that Chief Williams probably does want to do the dig. But it takes a chain of evidence that would put the bodies there for LE to get a search warrant for a dig. The law does not allow for a fishing expedition to see what could be found there whether it is the 3MW, the OK3, or tree roots. LE obviously doesn't have any clear evidence that would put the bodies there, to get the warrant. Perhaps tips from the Disappeared program will lead to some.

Why doesn't the law allow it? If the owner of the property consents to a search, why would LE need a search warrant?

Now Hurricane...with all due respect....
You are wrong on the search warrant....
Search Warrant Requirements
A search warrant is issued by a judge or magistrate. It is a document which gives law enforcement the legal right to search the place detailed on it. A search warrant allows the police or enforcement agency to search places or persons and seize evidence of crime if they find any. Search warrants must be based on probable cause based on the totality of the circumstances. There are several exceptions to the general requirement that police must have a search warrant to conduct a search. The following situations do not require a warrant:

•If you consent to a search, then the police do not need a warrant. You have the right to refuse a search without a warrant if no other exception applies.

If the owner agrees to the search, the police can "fish" all they want. Now, if the Cox hospital floks told the police they had to have a warrant to search the garage, then probable cause would enter into the discussion.

Now Hurricane...with all due respect....
You are wrong on the search warrant....
Search Warrant Requirements
A search warrant is issued by a judge or magistrate. It is a document which gives law enforcement the legal right to search the place detailed on it. A search warrant allows the police or enforcement agency to search places or persons and seize evidence of crime if they find any. Search warrants must be based on probable cause based on the totality of the circumstances. There are several exceptions to the general requirement that police must have a search warrant to conduct a search. The following situations do not require a warrant:

•If you consent to a search, then the police do not need a warrant. You have the right to refuse a search without a warrant if no other exception applies.

If the owner agrees to the search, the police can "fish" all they want. Now, if the Cox hospital floks told the police they had to have a warrant to search the garage, then probable cause would enter into the discussion.

I would suggest that you contact Dan Patterson's office and see if he intends to let a dig proceed without a proper warrant.

Well, that's another FACT the News Leader has WRONG!!! I have talked with Steve ZellErs many times and HE SAYS he contacted SPD AFTER 48 Hours aired. HE Says he had NO knowledge of the Three Missing Women until HE WATCHED the program with his parents while he was visiting them.

Obviously they NEVER talked with him or his parents.....they didn't even spell his last name right.

You can't take everything the newspaper reported as truth or fact. Some of the information is wrong...I was told by a former reporter that at the request of the SPD some things reported were bogus in the hope that the perp/s would say that's not what happened.

Kathee: Thank you so much for this very important clarification. I was sure that the information had come in within a week or so after the women went missing. However, if Steve Zellers says otherwise, well who ya gonna believe? Obviously we should believe Mr. Zellers as he would know. This is coming from the "horse's mouth."

As to the "bogus" information I find that incredibly interesting. And I'll tell you why. I have often wondered if some of the information that was published was deliberately fudged to allow the perp(s) to give themselves away. This is not unlike a case I saw on TV the other day where this person was burned alive in his home and there was zero evidence. The police talked to the main suspect and his response was that "he didn't shoot the victim." Trouble was that that information was never published. It is not the same as an out and out fib but when the perp(s) talk to the police they often give out information that only they possess other than the police. As to this case in particular, one of the more interesting things said by one on-looker were words to the effect that if the police didn't get off the dime "someone is going to get killed." Seems to me that is tantamount to saying they were alive at the time the statement was made. Of course that is not enough to convict someone but I'd be rather suspicious of someone who made a statement like that. This is somewhat long winded but I would guess we will necessarily have to verify everything that has been published to see if it is factual.

I posted this on Tuesday morning, after a sleepless night thinking of these women and their families:

This dig needs to happen,please contact the editor@ the NewsLeader
:http://php.news-leader.com/Forms/LettersToEditor.php

Also the police department contact is Detective Shirley . 4178641810 Please request that the coring happen ASAP. Every voice counts, maybe this added exposure on Disappeared will finally solve this case.

I also posted a similar note on other similar sites, I wrote the editor, called the police and was pleased to already see my letter to the editor in the NewsLeader today. Please,guys just take a moment and do the same, if we all stay after it, we can keep this in the paper every week, persistence pays off!! Let's make this dig happen. Thanks so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95