The "Totally Off Topic" Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Samiya said:
My grammybubba is good :)

I've been giving the new parents some space.....only coz I now know that no matter how many times I said I can hand her back, I don't wanna! **pout** If you haven't seen my grammybubba's page, it's here :)

http://chloeeve.blogspot.com/

Hugs
Sami

Awww.... Samiya! Thanks for that link. Gorgeous.... How precious life is, eh? When you look (I mean really look) into that brand new little babe's face and beautiful life ... just as I did when my nieces and nefs were born ... and we see what the world might sometimes offer - yah just can't help tighten the bond with prayer, love and hope that is sometimes so strong makes you want to cry. In my case, it was almost like using ESP (er, for want of a word) in those early months: and I suppose that's what family bonding is all about.

Heh, I remember when my first neffie was born 29 years ago (gulp), I said "Makes 'love' sound like a pop-song on the hit parade.... this is *more* than 'love'...." (LOL!!). Then it used to be baby albums / today is a little baby blog, lol. Too cute :) :blowkiss:

Congrats. Long may the joy return to yah, gramma-gans!

Bee:

Hi Polk, so sorry that nasty flu has you in
it's clutches. Take your meds nice and get your rest.
Hope Hub is on the mend too.

Hey Bee, thanks for the wishes. Hubz up 'n about: at work today, tks v much. It's my turn - gosh, chest feels like broken glass is breaking through my lungs when I cough or breathe deeply. The dizziness getting up is: Ughhhh. It'll go. Time, patience, meds and rest, heh heh. Perfect excuse to catch 'n read up in my fave forum ;)

PolkSaladAnnie said:
Awww.... Samiya! Thanks for that link. Gorgeous.... How precious life is, eh? When you look (I mean really look) into that brand new little babe's face and beautiful life ... just as I did when my nieces and nefs were born ... and we see what the world might sometimes offer - yah just can't help tighten the bond with prayer, love and hope that is sometimes so strong makes you want to cry. In my case, it was almost like using ESP (er, for want of a word) in those early months: and I suppose that's what family bonding is all about.

Heh, I remember when my first neffie was born 29 years ago (gulp), I said "Makes 'love' sound like a pop-song on the hit parade.... this is *more* than 'love'...." (LOL!!). Then it used to be baby albums / today is a little baby blog, lol. Too cute :) :blowkiss:

Congrats. Long may the joy return to yah, gramma-gans!

Bee:

Hi Polk, so sorry that nasty flu has you in
it's clutches. Take your meds nice and get your rest.
Hope Hub is on the mend too.

Hey Bee, thanks for the wishes. Hubz up 'n about: at work today, tks v much. It's my turn - gosh, chest feels like broken glass is breaking through my lungs when I cough or breathe deeply. The dizziness getting up is: Ughhhh. It'll go. Time, patience, meds and rest, heh heh. Perfect excuse to catch 'n read up in my fave forum ;)

OH NO!!...sounds like you have what i'm just getting over Polk....bless your heart...LOTS & LOTS & LOTS of fluid...there's no telling how many gallons of bottled water, along w/hot tea i put away while i was sick....

find some chicken bouillon cubes & add one to a cup of boiling water....drink as many cups a day, as you can stand....(jilly turned me on to this)....it definately helps temporarily after drinking it...makes the chest & throat feel better as it's going down......

if you end up as bad as i was, you might need an antibiotic & some prescription cough syrup too....if it gets all up into your sinuses (like mine did) get some regular Sudafed....two every 4 hours for 3 or 4 days, depending how long this 'gunk' hangs on ........ i feel for anyone that gets what i'm just getting over.....take care of yourself Polk!

Your creeping crud was different than our creeping crud, close and PSA. Yikes. I better keep my Lysol spray handy. Feel better, PSA!

I think we are finally all through it here. Everyone is back to their normal selves. The kids were funny though as they gave me a list of stuff they were going to eat when they were able to again.

I was captivated by the Hornbeck/Ownby coverage. My adrenaline hit hard Fri. evening. It brought back memories of how I felt when SPeterson was arrested, when he was convicted, and then when he was given the death penalty. I was very happy each time. I couldn't help but think how I'll feel when the very same happens to the killer of Michelle and her unborn son.

The high I feel at those moments usually disappears after a while when I start thinking about how sad it is that there are truly evil people in this world that think they have a right to kill another human being.

(checking to make sure I'm on the O/T thread...) :D

Taximom said:
Your creeping crud was different than our creeping crud, close and PSA. Yikes. I better keep my Lysol spray handy. Feel better, PSA!

I think we are finally all through it here. Everyone is back to their normal selves. The kids were funny though as they gave me a list of stuff they were going to eat when they were able to again.

I was captivated by the Hornbeck/Ownby coverage. My adrenaline hit hard Fri. evening. It brought back memories of how I felt when SPeterson was arrested, when he was convicted, and then when he was given the death penalty. I was very happy each time. I couldn't help but think how I'll feel when the very same happens to the killer of Michelle and her unborn son.

The high I feel at those moments usually disappears after a while when I start thinking about how sad it is that there are truly evil people in this world that think they have a right to kill another human being.

(checking to make sure I'm on the O/T thread...) :D

yes, i read a few minutes ago about the 'crud' at your home too TM, & responded.....(shivers)...not sure if there's anything worse than a stomach bug....one thing that's a 'plus', if you can call it that, they usually last no longer than what 24-48 hours....but my gawd, those are the longest hours.....i'm glad to hear all is getting back to normal at your home.....

close_enough said:
yes, i read a few minutes ago about the 'crud' at your home too TM, & responded.....(shivers)...not sure if there's anything worse than a stomach bug....one thing that's a 'plus', if you can call it that, they usually last no longer than what 24-48 hours....but my gawd, those are the longest hours.....i'm glad to hear all is getting back to normal at your home.....
We have two science experiments to finish up and we are way behind due to the illnesses, but that's life, I guess. It was a plus that the kids were only sick about 12-24 hours each, close. I'm just glad they weren't sick all at the same time!

Strach, are you ill too? Hope you feel better soon. And anyone else I might have missed.

Has anyone heard from RC? I read a day or so ago that he was helping on the search for the Ownby boy?
RC - Hope you are well!

jilly said:
Has anyone heard from RC? I read a day or so ago that he was helping on the search for the Ownby boy?
RC - Hope you are well!

Ben was found a couple of days ago so maybe there needs to be a new search party for Charlie.

otto said:
Ben was found a couple of days ago so maybe there needs to be a new search party for Charlie.
Who was it here that said they could take out an insurance policy on RC in case he got trampled by horses???:waitasec:
:crazy:

Just got off the phone from my SIL in Rogersville, Mo. She's 8 miles from Springfield. She said they had two inches of ice. They just had a new roof put on last month and she said a huge branch broke off one of their trees and hit the roof. She's hoping there's no damage. They haven't lost power yet, but heard that some of Springfield had. Bummer is she has to go to work tomorrow, no holiday for her. She works in Springfield. I know Charlie told me once that he wasn't too far away from her. He may be out of power or trying to keep things going there. I hope he's safe and warm. SIL said they don't get a lot of snow like we did, but they get a lot of ice in the winter.

Hope everyone gets over their illnesses. Being sick is no fun at all.

Taximom said:
Who was it here that said they could take out an insurance policy on RC in case he got trampled by horses???:waitasec:
:crazy:
I did.......

When we were talking about JY taking out a policy without her knowledge. I mentioned that anyone could take out a policy on someone else and collect on their death. Used Charlie as an example....LOL No, I don't have a policy on anyone else.

The BarnGod has to pay on a policy for his ex-wife as part of their divorce settlement. Get this though, he's the beneficiary. She should have specified that the two children should be beneficiaries. So, if she dies, he collects.

BarnGoddess said:
I did.......

When we were talking about JY taking out a policy without her knowledge. I mentioned that anyone could take out a policy on someone else and collect on their death. Used Charlie as an example....LOL No, I don't have a policy on anyone else.

The BarnGod has to pay on a policy for his ex-wife as part of their divorce settlement. Get this though, he's the beneficiary. She should have specified that the two children should be beneficiaries. So, if she dies, he collects.
Now that's funny, in an "I have a useless ex, too" way.

I hope RC is back soon. That ice storm is wicked, from all appearances. Something is due to hit here by Monday, but I'm not sure if it will be snow or ice.

jilly said:
RC - Hope you are well!

no, i was wondering earlier about him :waitasec: ....i missed the post about the search, though...

& good afternoon jilly:)
well, it's 12:24 pm here...

Taximom said:
Now that's funny, in an "I have a useless ex, too" way.

I hope RC is back soon. That ice storm is wicked, from all appearances. Something is due to hit here by Monday, but I'm not sure if it will be snow or ice.

We had a wickedly cold week last week, but temperatures are going up to the freezing mark next week ... almost warm enough to wear shorts!

otto said:
We had a wickedly cold week last week, but temperatures are going up to the freezing mark next week ... almost warm enough to wear shorts!
LOL, I just checked the weather on the internet for the BarnGod. Same here, it will get up to 38 on Thursday. Right now it's 8 degrees. 38 will feel like a heat wave. Our hydrants to the stock tanks are frozen now. Thankfully we have water in the house. We haul hot water to the chickens each morning.

BarnGoddess said:
LOL, I just checked the weather on the internet for the BarnGod. Same here, it will get up to 38 on Thursday. Right now it's 8 degrees. 38 will feel like a heat wave. Our hydrants to the stock tanks are frozen now. Thankfully we have water in the house. We haul hot water to the chickens each morning.

I've got two dogs, 10 fish and a snake to look after and I find that a bit of a responsibility. I definitely wouldn't be happy about feeding animals outside in this cold weather. You're a hardier soul than I!

Hello everyone !

I am back, we loaded horses Friday morning and headed back home. Took us a bit over 7 hours to drive the 187 miles back from Union. Roads were getting pretty icey but we were lucky, MHP Troop D had sent up three crusiers to help Franklin County, they stayed with us coming back. Glad to be home ! Sorry not to check in sooner - lots to do with the storm coming on.

We have lost power again and it looks like this will be a long term situation. The generators are running and as long as we don't run out of fuel for them we will be fine. As the last time, neighbors are coming over so I will soon be hiding in the barn again - hope everyone is ready for me to get stupid again !:crazy:

I don't mind the power outages too much - it turns out to be a good time with family and friends with none of the distractions common to everyday life. Lots of card games, board games, spook stories and generally good humor - all is good.

I hope all of you are as happy as I am about both Ben and Shawn being found - I am still amazed and incredibly grateful, there were some good prayers said on their behalves - for all of you who did say prayers - job well done !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

RC

raisincharlie said:
Hello everyone !

I am back, we loaded horses Friday morning and headed back home. Took us a bit over 7 hours to drive the 187 miles back from Union. Roads were getting pretty icey but we were lucky, MHP Troop D had sent up three crusiers to help Franklin County, they stayed with us coming back. Glad to be home ! Sorry not to check in sooner - lots to do with the storm coming on.

We have lost power again and it looks like this will be a long term situation. The generators are running and as long as we don't run out of fuel for them we will be fine. As the last time, neighbors are coming over so I will soon be hiding in the barn again - hope everyone is ready for me to get stupid again !:crazy:

I don't mind the power outages too much - it turns out to be a good time with family and friends with none of the distractions common to everyday life. Lots of card games, board games, spook stories and generally good humor - all is good.

I hope all of you are as happy as I am about both Ben and Shawn being found - I am still amazed and incredibly grateful, there were some good prayers said on their behalves - for all of you who did say prayers - job well done !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

RC

there you are!

your power outtage sounds good, then..for the time being...glad you're all ok:)

gonna get a little "stupid" myself here shortly...actually watching some football today....just watched a great one, & the Bears beat Seattle :cool: ....getting started on a Mike's Hard Lemonade for the next game...

& agree about Ben & Shawn!...amazing

close_enough said:
there you are!

your power outtage sounds good, then..for the time being...glad you're all ok:)

gonna get a little "stupid" myself here shortly...actually watching some football today....just watched a great one, & the Bears beat Seattle :cool: ....getting started on a Mike's Hard Lemonade for the next game...

& agree about Ben & Shawn!...amazing[/QUOTE

Ohhhh noooo! :( Last I heard Seahawks were leading!!)

Good to see you back RC. Glad you're safe and (sorta) :D sound!! :crazy:

BarnGoddess said:
Just got off the phone from my SIL in Rogersville, Mo. She's 8 miles from Springfield. She said they had two inches of ice. They just had a new roof put on last month and she said a huge branch broke off one of their trees and hit the roof. She's hoping there's no damage. They haven't lost power yet, but heard that some of Springfield had. Bummer is she has to go to work tomorrow, no holiday for her. She works in Springfield. I know Charlie told me once that he wasn't too far away from her. He may be out of power or trying to keep things going there. I hope he's safe and warm. SIL said they don't get a lot of snow like we did, but they get a lot of ice in the winter.

Hope everyone gets over their illnesses. Being sick is no fun at all.
BarnGoddess,

Keep in touch with your SIL if you can. It has gotten very bad here. I don't think she is going to be going to work anytime soon! Springfield got hit very hard . Just about the entire city is without power as are the outlying areas. Tonight hte wind is expected to come up - this will snap the trees like crazy. I hope she has a fireplace at least and maybe some kerosene heaters, although it is almost impossible to get kerosene anywhere right now. The national guard arrived in Springfield today - just to help clear trees out of the roads for emergency vehicles. Right now that is all that can be done.

The last ice storm we had here was about half as bad in 1987 and some areas were without power for about three weeks ! Tell your SIL to get ready for a vacation!

raisincharlie said:
BarnGoddess,

Keep in touch with your SIL if you can. It has gotten very bad here. I don't think she is going to be going to work anytime soon! Springfield got hit very hard . Just about the entire city is without power as are the outlying areas. Tonight hte wind is expected to come up - this will snap the trees like crazy. I hope she has a fireplace at least and maybe some kerosene heaters, although it is almost impossible to get kerosene anywhere right now. The national guard arrived in Springfield today - just to help clear trees out of the roads for emergency vehicles. Right now that is all that can be done.

The last ice storm we had here was about half as bad in 1987 and some areas were without power for about three weeks ! Tell your SIL to get ready for a vacation!
Thanks Charlie, I will keep in touch with her. With settling my MIL's estate over the last two years, I know she has enough in her bank account for a nice vacation plus. As to generators and a fireplace, I'm not sure. We had a lot of wind here this afternoon. We were supposed to get 1 - 3 inches of new snow today, but it sure drifted like it was a lot more. The BarnGod said the highway was ok, but I definitely needed 4WD to get to it as we had some spots drifted over on the dirt road. It's five miles to the highway on that road. He had to go south a few miles to get a large bale of alfalfa. Said it was miserable working at 8 degrees with the wind blowing as it was. Supposed to gradually get up to about 37 by Thursday. Don't know what the weekend will be like, but we'd like to go to Denver for the Stock Show. We always go the last weekend as that's the draft horse and mule shows. We know so many of the exhibitors. We may show next year. They've never had Suffolks shown. I need a Meadowbrook cart and one good draft horse along with some expensive fancy driving clothes (a top hat too) and I may compete in ladies driving. I may also show one of the Suffolks at halter. We love going to the show, there's so much there.

http://www.kyhorsepark.com/imh/bw/suffolk.html

Only been in an ice storm once many moons ago. When I lived in Maryland with the ex. Stayed cold (about 16 degrees) for two weeks. The miserable mess wouldn't melt.

You take care also. You've got a big responsibility with all those high dollar horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saglimtas20