Theories on what may have happened to Benjaman Kyle

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Peliman, welcome to WS. I am a newbie too, been only over a month. I live in hurricane city too. I know what it is like to be in a hurricane and leave when a bad one is coming. Done it most all my life. If there has been major destruction in a city, you cannot go in until the authorities let you in(if national guard is in the city, residents who left are not aloud back in the city until it is clear of debris, trees, powerlines) or if you are going in to work. Could be weeks or month. If you live in Georgia on the coast, you know what I mean. Hurricane charley passed thru your area aug 13th are so, looks as though it was offshore, but skimming the coast, so west side should have been minimal damage, but I don't know, haven't read everything on Charley.

Hi Peliman, welcome to WS. I am a newbie too, been only over a month. I live in hurricane city too. I know what it is like to be in a hurricane and leave when a bad one is coming. Done it most all my life. If there has been major destruction in a city, you cannot go in until the authorities let you in(if national guard is in the city, residents who left are not aloud back in the city until it is clear of debris, trees, powerlines) or if you are going in to work. Could be weeks or month. If you live in Georgia on the coast, you know what I mean. Hurricane charley passed thru your area aug 13th are so, looks as though it was offshore, but skimming the coast, so west side should have been minimal damage, but I don't know, haven't read everything on Charley.

Hello carol, I was raised in S. Fla. and very familiar with them. While there have been close calls here (Savannah), nothing of any substance (storm wise) has affected this area in years. Some power outages on occasion.
If I remember correctly, everyone was back to work the next day. (hah y'all pressing my memory cells)

Peliman, See this is what we need, memory cells, so now I lean more to the power plant thing. Do you think you can do a local research and find out who helped Savannah Power build the plant? I will do a google and see what comes up. This is something I definetly could work on, as I am familiar with many construction firms who do this type of construction. Stone & Webster, Brown & Root, Westinghouse, are just a few who I can think of that build power plants.(not sure if the are still these names, but some form of these companies are still around, my husband has been out of this field since 2001) Sure worth a try. Thanks

Peliman, See this is what we need, memory cells, so now I lean more to the power plant thing. Do you think you can do a local research and find out who helped Savannah Power build the plant? I will do a google and see what comes up. This is something I definetly could work on, as I am familiar with many construction firms who do this type of construction. Stone & Webster, Brown & Root, Westinghouse, are just a few who I can think of that build power plants.(not sure if the are still these names, but some form of these companies are still around, my husband has been out of this field since 2001) Sure worth a try. Thanks

Flashes a smile at carol, yesm I can give you some info and correct myself some, this is testing me. The main people in charge of construction was "Southern Company" While Southern Co was in charge and had their own employees they Sub-contracted (during the construction) two different major industrial construction firms.

For the life of me I can't remember the construction Co. that built the 1ST half. They and all employees were put off site for safety troubles. The contract was awarded oddly enough to BE&K who is now owned by KBR. Here's a link that may help, there were several other smaller sub-contractors depending on which phase was being constructed. I don't know what happened to the people in the beginning 50%. I can't remember dates too well either but the construction appears to have been under full motion at the time he was found.

BE&K and plant info

Thanks so much Peliman, I am familiar with BE & K and KBR is the new Brown & Root, I do believe.(I think it is Kellog Brown & Root, don't quote me though) Thanks, thanks

Thanks so much Peliman, I am familiar with BE & K and KBR is the new Brown & Root, I do believe.(I think it is Kellog Brown & Root, don't quote me though) Thanks, thanks

Welcome carol

Here's some more info for you, the 1st half of the construction was handled by "W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co" before BE&K completed the project. Southern Co. handled all contracts. Tommy Duncan was the main man to contact at Southern Co. - hope all that helps.

First post, but I've been lurking for months! :seeya:

I'm thinking that he could have been a single guy living in a foreign country and took a trip back to the US. Maybe to an inland city then he felt the desire to go out to the ocean. Perhaps he was living in English Canada, Great Britain, the Caribbean, etc. and the mail piling up, unpaid mortgage took place somewhere else. Do we know if he speaks another language?

I don't believe BK's bills are still being paid automatically from his bank account four years after his disappearance. He'd have to have a considerable amount in his bank account for that to be possible, and most people just don't have that much money saved up. Plus, his taxes presumably haven't been filed in at least four years, as you can't pay those automatically.

I think he was likely a renter rather than a home owner, and that he traveled often for his job and was seldom home. Maybe he was gone so much that he only rented a storage unit instead of an apartment. From online research, it appears that if a rented home is abandoned by the tenant with his belongings still inside, the landlord is required to write him a letter saying where his belongings can be retrieved, what deadline there is for retrieval and whether there are any storage/transportation costs that must be paid before he gets it back. The landlord can't just shovel it to the curb on the next trash day. So if he was single and had no roommates, his things were likely discarded or sold within a few months at most of his disappearance. If he was using a storage unit, the lock was likely cut off soon after he missed his payments and the contents auctioned off.

What's strange is that I couldn't find any law requiring a landlord to report his tenant missing even if he found his drivers license and other important documents among the abandoned property in the house. It seems that landlords often report their tenants missing anyway, because I've seen a few missing persons cases on Doe Network and other sites that specifically mention the landlord was the first to miss the individual.

Welcome carol

Here's some more info for you, the 1st half of the construction was handled by "W.G. Yates & Sons Construction Co" before BE&K completed the project. Southern Co. handled all contracts. Tommy Duncan was the main man to contact at Southern Co. - hope all that helps.

Thanks again Peliman, I came up with this also:
Dan Tennison, principal project manager for Southern LNG.
Construction began in June 2003, and there's an average of 120 workers on site. Another 150 workers are building the new docking facilities.
(so about 270 workers, probably came into the area to work, sound about right to you?)
Then I found that Be&k took over the project in 5-2004 at about 50% completion.
I also read that this was suppose to be a "local hiring" job, but I know alot of times it just doesn't turn out this way because of OSHA requirements and they have to hire men with the 40 hr. certificates, who may just need the 8 hr. fresher course.

Welcome coffeelover and tatertot. Glad to have more theories.

Thanks again Peliman, I came up with this also:
Dan Tennison, principal project manager for Southern LNG.

This does not ring a bell, there were turnovers.

Construction began in June 2003, and there's an average of 120 workers on site. Another 150 workers are building the new docking facilities.
(so about 270 workers, probably came into the area to work, sound about right to you?)
Then I found that Be&k took over the project in 5-2004 at about 50% completion.
I also read that this was suppose to be a "local hiring" job, but I know alot of times it just doesn't turn out this way because of OSHA requirements and they have to hire men with the 40 hr. certificates, who may just need the 8 hr. fresher course.

You do have a good grasp of this industry :clap: I'm going to keep painting here because it's a good possibility BK had some connection to the Plant McIntosh project. Trying to put some perspective on this.

The plant itself is not located in Savannah, it's in a very remote location maybe 15 miles west of I-95 along the Savannah river in Effingham county.

Forget having locals who had qualifications and experience, that's just not the case. People were recruited from across the country. Those numbers may reflect the beginning of construction but they were the ground crew which when ground work was complete, they were laid off or sent to other projects.

In comes above ground crews from across they country, maybe building to 450 plus of various skilled trades. Work, build work, construction accident. Operations suspended, OSHA breathes hot down everyones neck. Construction is shut down and delayed, everyone and their equipment and tools are put off site. Five hundred people get the thanks for serving, leave only your foot prints at the gate Drive safe wherever you came from.

BK&E is contracted to complete construction, massive hiring mostly from out of state. With other contractors involved, the site may average 700 workers per day.

There is no way Efffingham county could provide a place for so many workers to sleep and off hours. Not to mention requirements for workers to receive sub-pay the hotels around I-95 and Rt. 21 became full. It was a large churn of workers from out of state.

This does not ring a bell, there were turnovers.

You do have a good grasp of this industry :clap: I'm going to keep painting here because it's a good possibility BK had some connection to the Plant McIntosh project. Trying to put some perspective on this.

The plant itself is not located in Savannah, it's in a very remote location maybe 15 miles west of I-95 along the Savannah river in Effingham county.

Forget having locals who had qualifications and experience, that's just not the case. People were recruited from across the country. Those numbers may reflect the beginning of construction but they were the ground crew which when ground work was complete, they were laid off or sent to other projects.

In comes above ground crews from across they country, maybe building to 450 plus of various skilled trades. Work, build work, construction accident. Operations suspended, OSHA breathes hot down everyones neck. Construction is shut down and delayed, everyone and their equipment and tools are put off site. Five hundred people get the thanks for serving, leave only your foot prints at the gate Drive safe wherever you came from.

BK&E is contracted to complete construction, massive hiring mostly from out of state. With other contractors involved, the site may average 700 workers per day.

There is no way Efffingham county could provide a place for so many workers to sleep and off hours. Not to mention requirements for workers to receive sub-pay the hotels around I-95 and Rt. 21 became full. It was a large churn of workers from out of state.

Sounds like sending HR a note with the flyer link might make sense....anyone game??

Peliman, my hubby is one of the best Dozer operators around. I have traveled all over the central US to east coast, and drove most of it.
Talking about the construction accidents, 3 in a row under Yates, I think in 2003. This must have cause the shut down.
Then in May 2004, BE&K comes in and Benjaman is found 8/2004.
Wow 700 a day employees, do you know if they had to have badges with photo on it? Hum, wondering if this info is still available?

I am game Believe, just trying to narrow who to send it too, or better yet, if they had Photo Id Cards, who would have handled this. ps did you read your new message i sent?

I am game Believe, just trying to narrow who to send it too, or better yet, if they had Photo Id Cards, who would have handled this. ps did you read your new message i sent?

I PM'd you back-in the interest of transparency, let's mention that it was regarding BK's computer and how to improve his ability to be online, OK?? :)

Peliman, are you familiar with any employees who might be able to guide us as to where to send a letter regarding BK's possible association??

Peliman, my hubby is one of the best Dozer operators around. I have traveled all over the central US to east coast, and drove most of it.
Talking about the construction accidents, 3 in a row under Yates, I think in 2003. This must have cause the shut down.

Hi carol,

Say hey to your hubby for me.

Yes exactly what caused the shut down. The accidents were spread out over time. The last happening maybe 3 weeks before BE&K arrived. Another 6 weeks of hiring and training and testing. certifications, safety, etc.

Then in May 2004, BE&K comes in and Benjaman is found 8/2004.
Wow 700 a day employees, do you know if they had to have badges with photo on it? Hum, wondering if this info is still available?

Badging was a requirement but I doubt the info is available. BE&K wasn't the only game on site. I wouldn't know who's HR to contact, there would be quite a few.

I also want to add, the alligators would probably find the FBI before the FBI located this plant. It's that remote and mostly unknown.

Ok, Peliman, I will tell hubby hello. I think what I will do is contact your lead, and see if we can find out which contractors where in the plant in 8/2004 and go from there. I think this would take a phone call, so I will make attempt tomorrow and see what we can come up with. Where would your lead be located? And a possible number? If not, I can see what I come up with in the articles. Thanks

Peliman, are you familiar with any employees who might be able to guide us as to where to send a letter regarding BK's possible association??

hmmm, other than what I'm providing it does get very mixed. Southern Company (Tommy Duncan) huge undertaking and spread thruout the state. The site itself is reduced to operators and management who probably were not there during construction. Yates, BE&K, G.E., several other companies. Southern Co. holds all contracts but I doubt they would release a list. Probably 30 people run the site now for total 24/7 operations.

Georgia Power

Ok, Peliman, I will tell hubby hello. I think what I will do is contact your lead, and see if we can find out which contractors where in the plant in 8/2004 and go from there. I think this would take a phone call, so I will make attempt tomorrow and see what we can come up with. Where would your lead be located? And a possible number? If not, I can see what I come up with in the articles. Thanks

I really think it's going to take BK to review this discussion because I don't think it's possible to cover everyone involved. It does get very convoluted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0