Three children and two teenagers have been arrested over the murder of an 80-year-old man. Leicestershire, UK.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Blaming Internet/games/Social Media, etc
seems too simple IMO.
A convenient scapegoat.

Although my guess is simple as well:

Poor parenting.
Ineffective parental methods.
Negative role models.
Neglect.
Broken homes.
Damaged parents= damaged kids.

It all starts at home.

JMO
RSBM
I don't know. I honestly don't know. When I was growing up (70's, 80's) poor parenting, neglect, broken homes etc etc all existed too. Though I also think that blaming Internet etc is too simple. Back then, I'm sure there were people who blamed violent TV shows. MOO

Definitely in the US…I was surprised to read of this happening in the UK, as I thought it was a uniquely American thing for younger and younger people to be committing crimes so violent.
No, I don't think uniquely American.
Among other recent incidents worldwide, a 14yo in Saskatoon, Canada, set a 15yo on fire, at school. It's here on websleuths.
I mean, what the actual...??

RSBM
I don't know. I honestly don't know. When I was growing up (70's, 80's) poor parenting, neglect, broken homes etc etc all existed too. Though I also think that blaming Internet etc is too simple. Back then, I'm sure there were people who blamed violent TV shows. MOO
And music! Here in the USA at least, there was a lot of blame on music back in the day.

jmo

RSBM

I genuinely believe lack of discipline, lack of family values and lack of community values are the main factors behind it all.
Societal values have shifted and changed and they are not for the better.
Moo

And music! Here in the USA at least, there was a lot of blame on music back in the day.

jmo
That Elvis was a corrupting influence lol.
Or the rap and heavy metal in the 80s/90s. I remember getting Guns n Roses, Appetite for Destruction, and it had a warning sticker on it. Ridiculous!! Still one of my favourite albums, and i still haven't committed any crimes.
Jmo. Moo

I believe it is a combination of factors-- but it really comes back to the person doing the crime. With all of the violence in our society whether it is from movies, video games, internet, or whatever, most people ( including children) don't become killers, so I am left with the idea that ultimately it is that person (child) who is damaged, emotionally or mentally, or yes, just plain evil. We can't forget the home life of that person and parenting----there are issues of abuse as well. Nowadays we have social media, which is a relatively new element in our lives-- there is so much toxicity, bullying and such, that social media has to play a role in the development of murderers, including children committing murders and other crimes. Why do some people commit crimes and put the crime on Facebook? They want that recognition and attention. This is a terribly complex issue which has no one answer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth
Back