Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel devastated for the families.

If the Titan is not recovered tomorrow, then on top of grieving the loss of their loved ones, they will have to deal with the question of what happened, the question of whether they perished quickly and painlessly or whether they lived and suffered for some time.

It may never be known...unless something positively indicates that the vessel imploded within the first two hours.

I can't imagine the additional anguish that would result in such an unknown.

I keep thinking of the 19 year old especially....

So, when a vessel is not registered under any national flag, and is in international waters - is that controlled by the citizenship of the passengers? Or by who owns the vessel? Or something else?

And what if rescue is completely unfeasible (listening to expert on TV who says a manned rescue was always impossible).

What if the distressed vessel is never located?

I guess Canada would be the main nation (closer to Newfoundland than to Cape Cod). Does Canada have to keep looking, hoping to effectuate a rescue? Would it be in violation of international law if it didn't?

Who spent the money on Tony Bullimore? Did Australia foot the whole bill??? No help from UK?? Wow.

This is fascinating. I'm sure these laws won't change any time soon, but enforcing them right now seems problematic.

I am guessing that the Coast Guard will search a couple of days past tomorrow, even though there is no hope. Then they will suspend operations, as will Canada, France and UK (all of whom have offered some help). At some point, no reasonable person will believe there are persons to be rescued. I think this old law was meant so that ships who knew of the Titanic's disaster would be obligated to go help (and many did, but not all). I assume the duty is primarily national/military.

It's so odd that CEO Rush could launch this business with no insurance (if indeed he has none), no official licensing, registry or anything else from his own nation - nor from the passengers' nations. And Canada now is stuck with the duty??

JMO. Very sad opinion.

Yes, Australia foot the whole bill for Tony's rescue ......

Australia's defence minister last night dismissed any criticism of the cost. Ian McLachlan said the experience gained was something money could not buy. 'We're not going to duplicate those hours. They would probably have been run up anyway, probably practising somewhere else.

'We have an international legal obligation. We have a moral obligation obviously to go and rescue people, whether in bushfires, cyclones or at sea." Link

I don't remember it bothering too many people. We would expect the same from other countries if any of our citizens' seafaring vessels were in distress.

For the rescuers, they are participating in a real life experience - as opposed to trying to duplicate the experience for training purposes.

As a reminder, this thread is dedicated to the discussion of a missing tourist sub and the search for the 5 VICTIMS contained within it.

Discussion of finances, risky behavior, genetics, family members and anything else deemed off-topic will be removed and violating posters run the risk of having their posting privileges revoked.

Please post responsibly!

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking that, but at the same time I would like to know if there was any way at all this could have been done in consulting with the best scientists and engineers out there. As it is, from everything I've read, this vessel wasn't exactly top tier, to put it mildly.
You might find it interesting that NASA Marshall Space Flight Center helped a little in creating the hull.

I feel devastated for the families.

If the Titan is not recovered tomorrow, then on top of grieving the loss of their loved ones, they will have to deal with the question of what happened, the question of whether they perished quickly and painlessly or whether they lived and suffered for some time.

It may never be known...unless something positively indicates that the vessel imploded within the first two hours.

I can't imagine the additional anguish that would result in such an unknown.

I keep thinking of the 19 year old especially....
You can google the Wikipedia list of submarine accidents throughout history and the deadly outcomes to see that this will not end well because of depth and how submarines or submersibles work.

I really do not believe the bangs are human made and the reports are giving false hopes imo. I think the Navy/Coast Guard do not want to give the reality of the situation until it there is proof.
the 30 minute periodicity was making people think "human"...I dunno. From the beginning, I have thought all known info was not being released IMO.

tap tap tap
tap
tap
tap
tap tap tap

ETA: OR

taptaptap
tap tap tap
taptaptap
I basically meant bigger sound (lower pitch) smaller sound (higher pitch) and you could just bang with two different objects. Does not make sense if there was an implosion ... would that have caused a noise or wave that the mother ship would have picked up? Two miles of ocean, it seems, could dampen or distort a lot.... developing more appreciation for whales' sonar.

Yes, I was thinking that, but at the same time I would like to know if there was any way at all this could have been done in consulting with the best scientists and engineers out there. As it is, from everything I've read, this vessel wasn't exactly top tier, to put it mildly.
I think it was a cost saving design. Another submersible, Alvin, uses a plug hatch which is held in place by the water pressure.

IMO the bolted hatch was just another example of cutting corners to save money, like the viewport which was only certified to 1300 m.

This is true. I suppose it may develop into one of those unresolved situations that torment the mind and upend the families.

Similar to the Malaysian flight that disappeared, but with the key difference that the passengers there did not sign up for an unregulated extreme adventure, as did these passengers.

Perhaps in 100 years from now, some contraption will carry some future people down to explore the site where the submersible was lost, as a twofer “adventure” when going to view the wreck of the Titanic (if anything remains, by then).

There is still some time left for a rescue if at all possible….I hope when I wake tomorrow, all I’ve written above will be a moot point.
The difference between this situation (and the Malaysian airline situation) and most missing persons cases is that in the latter they were lost on land and there is always the hope that the ran off somewhere or where kidnapped somewhere. In contrast, the ocean is large, mean and unforgiving. None of these people ran off somewhere.

I haven't read any of this discussion, I just popped in to check a cold case, but I do have a somewhat-rhetorical question:

Why didn't OceanGate/owner install a sonar beacon device?
SBE 1 Sonar Beacon

If this or a similar device was attached, they'd have been rescued by now.
Hindsight is always 20/20. I also wonder why.

JMO

ETA - I'm not sure sonar works underwater.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
On the CNN livestream, it notes that a 2021 OceanGate press release concerning design and engineering is now disputed:

"2021 claims disputed: The University of Washington reiterated Wednesday that they were not involved in the design, engineering or testing of the Titan submersible, despite assertions that they were, according to a 2021 court filing by OceanGate. CNN reached out to OceanGate for comment. Separately, Boeing also released a statement saying they were not a partner on the Titan and they did not design or build the submersible, despite a 2021 press release from OceanGate listing the company as a "partner." OceanGate told CNN it was unable to provide additional information about its relationship with Boeing."

Missing Titanic sub: Live updates on search as banging sounds heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member