Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what the landing frame was, but does anyone know what the rear cover was on the Titan? I can't picture it.

The part with Oceangate Titan written on it

Pasting from the Sky quotes:

“Mr Mearns says: "Again this is an unconventional submarine, that rear cover is the pointy end of it and the landing frame is the little frame that it seems to sit on."”
I have a feeling that the landing frame and the rear cover might be titanium. Just a guess on my part. It could explain why they were still intact somewhat. JMO

While I'm sorry for all on board and their family and friends, my heart especially bleeds for that 19 year old kid </3 My son mentioned that this sub also had individual air tanks for each passenger stowed on board. Are those in addition to the 96 hours of air that's been quoted? Anyone know how long those would provide air?
If the vessel were intact, possibly those tanks would help. But if the debris field is from the submersible, it sounds like it is no longer intact. At the depth it was last heard from, if the hull imploded or was otherwise breached, everything and everyone aboard would have been crushed by the extreme water pressure. :(

JMO

3pm EST is not 3 hrs from now. Your post was at 8am PST (since that's where I am). I'm 3 hrs before EST which would have made it 11am EST when you made your post.

Below is one of the various timezone calendars out there. Simply change the 2nd 'To' field to your timezone. I've input all other fields for folks (Time, date, EST).

It’s 10:30 Pacific Time, now—so if the press conference starts on time, it’ll still be starting in an hour and a half—noon Pacific, 3:00 pm Eastern. (Assuming Daylight Saving Time, of course.)

However, people seem to be leaking details of the ‘debris field,’ already. If those details are true, our main question has been answered, I think.

I’m not the person you’re replying to, but here’s some info:

(Over on Reddit I’ve seen lots of discussion of, and pictures of, how shoddy the whole setup was, including a lot of parts from basic consumer electronics kind of thrown together.)
I’m not the person either but here’s the quote:

Shortly before his dive, Loibl said that the bracket of a stabilizing tube broke off the vessel and had to be reattached with zip ties.
Journey on missing Titan sub 'a suicide mission': former passenger
Along with the nerve-wracking delay, the bracket of the stabilization tube – which balances the sub – tore and had to be "reattached with zip ties," he said.

It was early 2019, and aerospace engineer Stockton Rush was racing against the clock. The wreckage of the Titanic was slowly decaying — ravaged by metal-eating bacteria, researchers found — and Rush felt there was suddenly a “pressing need to document the world’s most famous shipwreck, combined with a huge demand of people who wanted to go see it.”

“It made perfect sense,” Rush, the CEO of OceanGate Expeditions, told the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle. “We just had to make the submersible to get there.”

The carbon-fiber submersible his team built, known as the Titan, differentiated itself from similar vessels in part because it had room for at least four “affluent travelers,” including an expert. “If you’re going to take somebody to go see the Titanic,” he said, “it’s going to be the most life-changing experience for them. They won’t want to do it alone.”...

Whatever has been discovered must be indicative of it being the Titan, if not I believe the Coastguard wouldn't be so direct in what they have released and planning a presser at 3:00 today.

This is sad to watch this man speaking about his friends that are now gone:

Last edited:
I am not a scientist and a lot of what's being discussed is over my head, but I keep wondering what kind of reaction from the possible implosion would have happened on the surface? The mother ship was receiving pings every 15 minutes. Assuming these stopped due to an implosion, not necessarily a drifting off course, wouldn't the mother ship have noticed... *something*?

My understanding is they had a very simple acoustic-based communication system... It was compared to two cups and a string in one interview. A ping may not have come through when expected, but wouldn't the implosion itself have caused enough strong vibrations that it would've been obvious something unexpected had happened?

1687456142601.png
Those on board the missing sub clockwise from top left: Hamish Harding, Stockton Rush, Shahzada and Sulaiman Dawood and Paul-Henry Nargeolet (
Image:
Dirty Dozen Productions/OceanGat)

"There is of course a large debris field around the Titanic - and the various things we've seen retrieved from the Titanic have come from the debris field. It covers several hectares.

"But I think if this was Titanic debris, the Coast Guard would have made a distinction in the announcement. I think on balance this is probably grim news and suggests the Titan might have imploded under the immense pressure of the seawater while it was on its way down."

Finding debris raises the question of if the vessel was intact from the moment the search began.''

Homepage from a company that provided ROV's

PRS want to express our full gratitude for the incredible, coordinated rescue response of everyone involved in this search and rescue mission. Our focus right now is on the families of those on the Titan and for their tragic loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia