Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Azmeh claimed that her nephew did not want to go on the submarine but agreed to take part in the expedition because it was important to his father, a lifelong Titanic obsessive. Suleman "wasn't very up for it" and "terrified," she claimed, explaining that the 19-year-old expressed his concerns to another family member.

1m ago
It is too early to know when the “catastrophic implosion” took place, Rear Adm Mauger says.

We know that as we’ve been prosecuting this search over the course of the last 72 hours.
Beyond that, we’ve had sonar buoys in the water nearly continuously and have not detected any catastrophic events when those buoys have been in the water.

Rear Adm John Mauger says there “doesn’t appear to be any connection” between the underwater noises detected in the search-and-rescue mission and the location on the seafloor.

This was a “catastrophic implosion” of the vessel which would have “generated a significant… sound down there that the sonar buoys would have picked up”, he says.

Someone in the previous thread asked whether an implosion would have made a detectable undersea sound, and it sounds like the answer would have been “yes”.

(But there weren’t any listening devices/buoys in place at that time, or not any sophisticated enough.)

Azmeh claimed that her nephew did not want to go on the submarine but agreed to take part in the expedition because it was important to his father, a lifelong Titanic obsessive. Suleman "wasn't very up for it" and "terrified," she claimed, explaining that the 19-year-old expressed his concerns to another family member.

Well, this is possibly the most awful thing I’ve read about this.

I don’t think the sonar buoys are a permanent thing, they were part of the rescue mission. The inference being that the implosion happened before the search started and the sonar buys were in place.
Yes, that was my understanding too, that the sonar buoys were dropped yesterday.

Ugh. I think many of us suspected an implosion early on but hearing it confirmed brings the same deep sadness as learning a missing child has been found dead.

Condolences to the families.

This just broke my heart.

I've defended some aspects of Titan's design, but one thing I'll never defend is the tubular shape of the pressure hull, which I can only think was done to fit more paying "crew members" on board.

Normally subs designed for this kind of depth use a perfectly spherical pressure hull. The sphere is inherently much stronger than other shapes because the force applies equally in all directions; there's no inherent weak spot. Spherical hulls have been used successfully on pretty much all previous deep sea vessels, and up to now none of them have had a catastrophic failure.

IMO, by making Titan's pressure hull tubular, it was always going to be much weaker than it should have been.
I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your posts on this thread. You've shared a lot of details and insight that few of us have. Thank you.

Well, this is possibly the most awful thing I’ve read about this.
Cold comfort, but I think the fact that they weren't trapped down there for days, alive, with him enduring it when he didn't want to go at all makes it less awful than it could have been. The hull failure would have been so fast none of them would have known about it.

MOO

Agree. Not very nice of a sister to make that her brother's legacy.
That wasn’t really what I meant (and it sounds like it was an aunt? it doesn’t really make a huge difference, I suppose. EDIT: never mind, I just realized who was meant by ‘brother’ in this context. No need to quote/correct this part.)

The kid was 19, I just feel awful knowing that he was scared and didn’t want to be there to begin with.

It’s one thing to climb Everest because you’re rich and you know the risks and you just really, really want to do it, even if it means you might die up there; it’s another to feel you have to risk your life to make someone else happy.

JMO

I've defended some aspects of Titan's design, but one thing I'll never defend is the tubular shape of the pressure hull, which I can only think was done to fit more paying "crew members" on board.

Normally subs designed for this kind of depth use a perfectly spherical pressure hull. The sphere is inherently much stronger than other shapes because the force applies equally in all directions; there's no inherent weak spot. Spherical hulls have been used successfully on pretty much all previous deep sea vessels, and up to now none of them have had a catastrophic failure.

IMO, by making Titan's pressure hull tubular, it was always going to be much weaker than it should have been.
Agree with the inherent stress and material benefits of spherical shape: though a sphere introduces rotational degrees of freedom that a cylinder tends to defeat. Hanging from a tensioned cable: the sphere is the better shape...As an untethered object with thrusters in 2-planes, the directionality of a cylinder gains some preference.... But the device had already made many trips to the same depths, so either there was an extraordinary event on this trip or the vessel had decayed/lost integrity in some fashion. There is a history of some servicing to the carbon fiber portion and we have to believe that both the indicators that repair was needed and the specific techniques that effected it will be the subject of some pretty close scrutiny in the near term.

All IMHO and no slight intended.

Heartbreaking statement from the family member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot