GUILTY TN - Benjamin Shook for kidnapping, rape of 14yo girl, Surgoinsville, 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
ShookTimeline.jpg

The red line is the Appalachian trail.

1. 6/23 03:36-04:02 Recorded on surveillance camera at the Walmart in Marion NC
2. 6/23 Ditched the step-father's truck on Fairwood Rd. between Troutdale VA and the Appalachian Trail. The truck was discovered by local authorities late at night on 6/25, but presumably had been abandoned days earlier.
3. 6/23 16:00-17:00 Recorded on camera at the Exxon in Sugar Grove, VA.
4. 6/23 A witness gave them a ride to the Raccoon Branch Campground, Smyth county VA
5. 6/24 Witnesses report seeing them at Flat Ridge Rd. and Quarter Branch Rd. Sugar Grove, VA.
6. 6/29 Witnesses report seeing them near a camp (ARE camp?) off Cedar Springs Rd., Smyth county VA.
7. 7/1 Witnesses report seeing them near Etter Rd. and Ridge Ave. Rural Retreat, VA.

The sightings are trending on Facebook, so that's a good sign that a TON of people are seeing the latest reports. :)

View attachment 77630

The red line is the Appalachian trail.

1. 6/23 03:36-04:02 Recorded on surveillance camera at the Walmart in Marion NC
2. 6/23 Ditched the step-father's truck on Fairwood Rd. between Troutdale VA and the Appalachian Trail. The truck was discovered by local authorities late at night on 6/25, but presumably had been abandoned days earlier.
3. 6/23 16:00-17:00 Recorded on camera at the Exxon in Sugar Grove, VA.
4. 6/23 A witness gave them a ride to the Raccoon Branch Campground, Smyth county VA
5. 6/24 Witnesses report seeing them at Flat Ridge Rd. and Quarter Branch Rd. Sugar Grove, VA.
6. 6/29 Witnesses report seeing them near a camp (ARE camp?) off Cedar Springs Rd., Smyth county VA.
7. 7/1 Witnesses report seeing them near Etter Rd. and Ridge Ave. Rural Retreat, VA.

The OG - thanks so much for this! Both the map and timeline really helps to visualize their path!

I haven't had much time to check in recently, though H has certainly been on my mind. So from what I have seen, it looks like these new sightings have not been confirmed. Is that correct? I wish LE would release more info about the sightings - Details like where seen and what were they doing, but also I want to know how does H look? Is she tired, worn, disheveled, or clean, fresh and happy?

I too am curious about her appearance and if she has a backpack. Girls need things. Does anybody know their finances?

There are certain things human beings need to survive. Food, water, shelter.

I wonder about his background in such things. Are they eating out of dumpsters or panhandling on the roads? Sleeping where?

Lots of questions but surely no answers. BTW if anybody at all has any friends out in those states please share it on your FB account.

I have friends out in the VA area from when Morgan went missing. Help Save The Next Girl was started by the Harringtons. I am going to share all of this with them. They have a huge network.

My guess is they're broke. The truck they abandoned appears to be in good condition. After driving over 200 miles from Surgoinsville TN, via Marion NC, it may have simply run out of gas. We do know the step father's credit card was declined at the Walmart.

From where the truck was found, I can only speculate that maybe they were headed to nearby Grindstone Campground. They did have at least some cash for snacks purchased later at the Exxon in Sugar Grove. It's clear though that they have been on foot for over a week and hadn't made it very far during the first week.

If they were panhandling, there would probably be more sightings. There aren't many dumpsters in the area. I'd really like to know if there have been any signs of them at the A.R.E. camp. I'm sure it is stocked full of any and all supplies they would need.

Wildlife is plentiful in the area, so one can survive on that if they know what they're doing. The area where the most recent sightings have taken place is farmland. It would be rather easy to get food there.

Her father said he believes that Shook has probably taken her phone. That tells me she didn't leave it behind and at least had it when she left. The authorities have been very quiet about the status of any phones belonging to either of them. Cell coverage isn't great in that area, but authorities should be able to locate a ping if their phones have been on. I think maybe that happened and explains the BOLO in Speedwell. Cedar Springs is nearly the same distance from the nearest cell tower in the area, so such a ping may have come from there instead.

I am thinking any phone they may be carrying would be dead by now. No battery chargers. Do phones still ping when the battery is dead?

It's very quiet. We surely aren't hearing much.

Police said known sex offender Ben Shook and Tennessee teen HW stopped at a house in Smyth County last Monday and talked to a woman. The woman's father said she didn't know about the case and unknowingly gave the two who claimed to be lost hikers directions.
"They said they were lost Appalachian Trail hikers, the trail is only about for or five miles away from here so she gave them directions (of) how to get to Rural Retreat and then that was it," Duke Miller said of the conversation his daughter had with Shook and W.
Miller said his daughter said the two had backpacks and did not threaten her. He also said she didn't notice anything that seemed off. Miller said to his knowledge no Appalachian Trail hiker had ever asked for help or come through the camp and house area before.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/wom...ons-to-ben-shook-and-hayleigh-wilson/34006074

Wednesday night, two days after the woman made contact with W and Shook at the house in Smyth County, someone called 911 in Wythe County and said he/she saw two people off Ridge Avenue just outside Rural Retreat. The caller said the two were near a bridge that carried a road over a creek less than a hundred yards from a few houses. Police said the road is not a heavily traveled road.
Police are calling Wednesday night's call in Wythe County a possible sighting of Shook and W, while the knock on the door at a house in Smyth County is a confirmed sighting.

The confirmed sighting Monday and the possible sighting Wednesday are less than five miles apart and investigators said it's possible to make it that far in two days on foot.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/wom...ons-to-ben-shook-and-hayleigh-wilson/34006074

I wonder if they've been following the 16. There are railroad tracks that parallel the highway.

I'm kind of thinking they may have followed along power lines from Sugar Grove to Cedar Springs to Rural Retreat. The ARE Camp is right on the Smyth Co/Wythe Co line. Even though the entrance is in Smyth Co, the actual camp I think, is in Rural Retreat.

http://www.edgarcayce.org/summercamp/

Here's hoping that today is the DAY they're found! My heart goes out to H and I'm fearful now that she may not survive this, if not rescued soon. I think she stays with him out of fear of being lost and all alone out in the woods. She's only 14 and this would be such a scary scenario, I'm sure. Prayers for her...

surprised that he'd be so brazen as to go to a house for directions? maybe i'm wrong, but that just seems very bold. hoping today's the day they are found.

OT but here' s another story of a young girl meeting a grown man pretending to be a teen on KIK app.
I had never heard of KIK until this thread but I guess it's pretty common tool of SO's.

http://damn.com/video-father-knocks...ource=acv&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=predacv

I don't think this is OT AT ALL. IMO, it is a huge elephant in the room that we need to look at! There are many apps like Kik, but check out, and if you look further, it'll only get more disturbing. THIS is a Heads Up for parents everywhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kik_Messenger#cite_note-22

“The Marshals Service is fully engaged and partnering with local authorities in recovering this critically missing child,” said U.S. Marshals Service Director Stacia Hylton. “Shook is a known sexual predator and a threat to H and others. We need the public’s help to apprehend Shook and safely recover H.”

"Shook is described as a white male with brown hair and blue eyes, and wears glasses. He stands 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighs about 190 pounds. Shook has a scar on his left leg and multiple tattoos on his arms, legs and chest. He may not be wearing eyeglasses at this time."

"The website Be Web Smart, which aims to help parents understand their children’s digital world, expressed concern about use of the app by children in a 2014 article, updated a few weeks ago. It notes that while many people use Kik to simply send messages to friends, because “it is very popular for sexting … it is not a good choice for kids.” Kik is rated 17+ in Apple’s App Store.
Hammond also expressed concern about the use of such apps by children. “These kids talking to these people on these chat apps and they really don’t know who they are talking to,” he said. “It is really a dangerous thing.”

http://wtvr.com/2015/07/06/5000-rew...igh-wilson-last-seen-with-known-sex-offender/

Kik as an avenue for pedophiles is imo, kind of a red herring in my opinion. Having been a teen at the dawn of the internet, perverts/pedos are everywhere. Everywhere. The site your kid plays their sesame street game on, the one your young teen plays neopets on, the website you read your news on. They are everywhere.

I know many teens/young adults(and many adults who are expats,etc.) who use Kik. usually its for 3 different but specific reasons.

1- they don't have a phone. They use wifi- and kiks service supports this. It is basically a texting app but through wifi. These people either have phones that are not hooked up, or have ipods/tablets that can access the app.

2- they are living in another country, or have travelled extensively and have friends all over the world. Makes for cheap texting/chatting and it's pretty well known. The two I hear most often about in my travels is Kik and Whatsapp.

3- they are in the online dating world, or an alt-lifestyle and use it to either connect with others for chatting, or for dating/hookups without sharing their actual number.

Most of the people I meet fall into 1 or 2, i only mention 3 because it is an active group and through my own lifestyle i do meet quite a few people who use Kik as a way to screen out weirdos and give them less info.

Educating youth and teens is far far more important than getting rid of apps. These people are going to exist, they always have, and they will find a way to get to your child. Making your child strong, believing in them, fostering confidence, love, and a sense of self is so important. I was such easy prey for these 'people' because I was told I was unlovable, I was ugly, fat, etc. But THEY found me beautiful. I was very lucky, and nothing serious happened to me, and nothing spilled over into my 'real life' but it so very easily could have. And there are far far more teens and young teens in this situation than you think.

Gosh this is kind of reminding me of the hunt for Hannah Anderson. Does anybody remember how long it took to find her. I remember two couples riding the trail came upon them and that's how they were found. Seems with so many people out over this holiday weekend they would have been found. Poor H. MOO

I wish she would just wait until this oversized fell asleep and then head off running into town. As much as they've been seen walking around town, even H should know her way around there pretty good by now, if they are still in the area that is.

I'm sure that being on the run with this guy is about the farthest thing from "the comforts of home" that can be imagined. Dirty, hungry, stinky, bug bites, sunburn, not to mention being sexually assaulted a couple of times a day by a smelly caveman........make a run for it kid........the grass isn't greener on the other side, as you can see now.

If the cops can't find 'em, hopefully she'll have a moment of clarity and escape, regardless of his threats. All she has to do is run into the arms of the biggest ,meanest looking guy she can find once she breaks free of Shook. A crowd of people would be even better.

Where are they right now ? Who the hell knows.........

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children released the video seen below on July 2. The video tells the story of HW and Ben Shook. On YouTube it has a few thousand views, on the National Center For Missing and Exploited Children's Facebook page the video has almost 71,000 views, more than 600 likes, and over 4,000 shares as of late Monday night.
The organization said there is urgency around this case in particular, especially because police don't know for a fact that W and Shook are even in Southwest Virginia anymore.

"Police are focusing on the Appalachian Mountains near Smyth County Virginia, but H and Shook could be anywhere now," a male voice reads in the video.

While NCMEC works on many cases across the country every day, it typically does not release videos for cases, especially as quickly as it did. "We think HW is at extreme risk of physical injury, or death, so we want to get her safely returned as quickly as possible," Lowery said.

NCMEC just recently started making videos, and is investing more in them because they tend to capture the public's attention and share information in a short amount of time.

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/inv...yleigh-wilson-case-from-online-video/34019498

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak
Back