Found Deceased TN - Blake Smith, 20, Knoxville, 3 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been following this case very closely. I'm very interested in what happened to this young man, as Crown College is my alma mater.

Re: the rules of the college... I know the mods already shut down that conversation, but suffice it to say that the school is extremely strict. I was there over a decade ago, but still know enough about the school to know that the posts from 2012 are an accurate reflection of the current handbook.

I, of course, am struck by the scene with the car, particularly the depressed gas pedal and the various articles around the scene. That leads me to believe the death is not accidental, much like many of you.

A couple of things that stick out to me, however, are probably unique to my perspective as a former Crown student:

(1) There is a curfew at Crown, and it is strictly enforced. When I was there, I believe it was 10PM. The only exception was if you worked somewhere that required you to be off campus later than 10PM. That exception only applied to the men, and you had to have written permission from the administration to be out later than 10PM for your job. Your resident assistant would be aware of that exception. It is the R.A.'s job to report a student who is late to curfew, particularly if someone has missed it all together. Even though Blake only lived a few hours away, he would not have been allowed to drive home for the weekend without receiving approval, and his R.A. would know if he had. So... it strikes me as very strange that no one at the college was looking for Blake before his father called his roommates on Sunday morning. Based on my experience there, it seems his parents would have been notified by the school on Saturday night. At the very least, the resident assistant should have notified security/the administration that Blake never came back and did not have permission to be away.

(2) Re: Blake possibly being gay... This is a thought I had, as well. That would definitely not be acceptable at Crown and he would be expelled if it was known that he was. I don't know anything about his family to say how they would react, but having been in those circles myself, I would imagine his odds of being accepted as gay by his family were probably not great. One interesting note about the culture of the independent fundamental Baptist (IFB) movement and Crown College in particular is that most of them marry really young. Almost everyone I attended school with was married within a year of college graduation, if not sooner. Almost everyone had a serious "courting" relationship while in school, and almost everyone met their future spouse there. I can only think of a handful of people who did not. (Almost all of them, incidentally, were girls... they outnumber the guys there.)

It is hard in the IFB world to get a job as a pastor if you're not married, so being married is almost as important as the degree and the "call" to ministry. That said, as a good-looking junior guy who seems to have stuff going his way in the IFB world, it seems off to me that he did not have a girlfriend. Maybe he does, and it's just not being mentioned, but I have not seen that anywhere. It's pure speculation, of course, to say that a lack of a girlfriend means he's gay. He may just be an exception to the rule. But, as a former student who knows the culture there very well, it definitely seems odd to me if he was not working at checking off the "married" box in preparation for a ministry role right out of school.

Thank you for your input cjk. Very helpful! I have a couple questions, about the curfew, if you don't mind.

Is there a headcount at night, or would it have been possible for his roommate(s), to have maybe thought that he was just sowing a few oats, and not reported him?

Thanks!

Thank you! I'm not sure from the article whether he was found a half mile from the car, or if they're saying George's creek empties into the lake a half mile away. If it's the first, then I wonder if there is any significance to some other places I saw today - there is a small park on the opposite side of Topside Rd that has water access, as well as a paved lot for boat launches and a couple small paved parking areas for fishermen on the side of Topside closest to the house. All of those were about a half mile away from the house.

If we entertain the homicide side of things, then could poor BT have been put into the river at one of these locations? That would make the house just a convenient dumping ground for the car.

https://www.facebook.com/thecrowncollege/videos/1500496256715258/

In the above post the minister states that Blake had bruises on his face and hands. That doesn't sound accidental to me.

Well now on top of the cinder block jammed between his pedal and smashed up (pretty much) vehicle, his shoe, broken necklace, beanie, car running all night, phone on seat, we now have bruises on his face and hands. This has to be the most creative suicide I have ever heard of <end sarcasm>.

In the above post the minister states that Blake had bruises on his face and hands. That doesn't sound accidental to me.

So, I'm gonna go out on a long speculating limb here. Perhaps Blake decided to meet up with someone for a little action before having to be back in the dorm for curfew. Blake thinks he's meeting someone for a lil nookie (I can't believe I just used that word) but the person he's meeting is actually looking to rob and beat up a gay person (as I mentioned in the threads for Blaze Bernstein this has become a problem with meeting people using the apps). Blake meets the person at AFP, person robs or attempts to rob him, maybe Blake didn't have a lot of money on him, or maybe no money at all, so the person beats him up worse then he intended, realizing he's really hurt Blake, maybe thinking Blake is dead but he's really just unconscious, he dumps Blake in the water where he drowns and then sets up the car.

IF this scenario is even remotely accurate, no one may have known about Blake's secret life because he would install and uninstall the dating app. I know of people who do this, they will install one of the apps for just long enough to meet someone, swap addresses and then after the meet-up they will uninstall in the app so no one sees it on their phone and discovers their secret.

This is a highly speculative scenario and MOO.

Sorry you guys. I haven't read this whole forum. But couldn't someone have held him under the water so he would drown? Maybe the police aren't disclose choke wounds or finger prints. I'm sure someone has already suggested it.

Yes there was per the minister at the college chapel. There were bruises on his face & hands.

https://www.facebook.com/thecrowncol...0496256715258/

(I know this was already posted already but I wanted to be sure you saw it.)

hmmm, I wonder if the pics with dogs are the actual dogs used to search... they are small, that's all.

They parents allegedly said that when they saw the body, they knew it was foul play, so that might be something to consider too. Something visual was apparent perhaps.

This one is a stumper. And, like always, LE knows more than we do.

Reminder:

Blogs are not allowed as sources on Websleuths. Please stick to mainstream media and official news/media outlets on social media, such as an official news site's Facebook page.

Also, do not discuss comments under articles or made on social media. If you find an interesting comment, you may say something like, "There are some interesting comments under this article (link to article)." But that's it. End of discussion for comments. People can look on their own if they wish, but don't discuss the comments here.

Thank you!

This post falls at random.

What if Blake tried to put the car in gear and it accidentally went into reverse. What if he tried to keep it from going in reverse, injured himself on the door, and lost his hat and chain in the scuffle. And, what if the car door got bent backwards from him trying to hold it back. I saw a car door get bent backwards once. It didn’t take as much effort as I would have thought. It hit a post, but the car was barely even moving when it happened, as opposed to a cinder block on the gas pedal.

I would guess LE only found one set of footprints going into the water, and that’s why they’re saying accidental (as opposed to foul play.)

Thank you for your input cjk. Very helpful! I have a couple questions, about the curfew, if you don't mind.

Is there a headcount at night, or would it have been possible for his roommate(s), to have maybe thought that he was just sowing a few oats, and not reported him?

Thanks!

Different dorms did it different ways, but the R.A. would generally just check to makes sure each guy is accounted for. It looks like BS was in one of the larger dorms (20 guys), so it’s possible he was just missed, but not really likely if the R.A. was atypical. If memory serves, Dorm 14 is a converted house near the church on Beaver Creek Rd. I could be wrong. There would have been 3-5 guys in each room, so someone should have noticed him gone and mentioned it. The students who become RAs don’t get there without a a lot of respect for the rules, so it’s very unlikely that the R.A. would have just chalked a missing student up to youthful foolishness.

Based on the very very interesting recent comment on the BCSO’s most recent Facebook update, it sounds as if there may have definitely been some foul play. I’m starting to lean strongly that way, and away from the self-harm scenarios.

Was there a reason given why he had to be identified by autopsy rather than by his parents?

<modsnip>

Nobody said he was gay; a few of us speculated a possible scenario. And even if he was, it is quite possible to be both gay and a good man. The two are not at odds.

Hi. I'm also a Crown College graduate. I've been following this thread since Tuesday evening. I graduated 10ish years ago so I don't know any of the current students and wasn't aware of this until another graduate brought this to my attention. I did some searching and came across this thread which seemed to have the most complete compilation of information, both facts and speculation, that I could find, which has been both helpful and interesting. I considered making an account the other day to chime in on some points but I don't have a lot of free time this week and am traveling this weekend so felt like it might not be worth the time.

Seeing that another alumni has posted here though, I figured I'd at least make a post to confirm all the points he made above. I still live in the area, although I'm not a part of the college or church anymore (I'm agnostic now). I completed both my undergrad at Crown and a graduate degree though and everything that cjk stated I can confirm is correct, or at least was when I attended. I can imagine there might be some relaxation of some minor rules over time but overall I expect everything is pretty similar to this day.

Since I'm here now I'll touch on a couple other things I've seen in the thread. Sorry if some of this is out of order and some of it I know I read but can't find the exact post to quote anymore.

When I was in the dorms there wasn't exactly a head count, but each dorm had a Resident Assistant, and then each room had a Room Leader. If anyone was missing from the room at curfew (10:30 when I attended) or especially lights out (11:30 when I attended) the room leader would notify the RA. If a student was expected to be out past these times the RA would be aware of this information. Given that BS's job sounds like a landscaping type job I can't imagine that would apply to him, unless he had some second job that hasn't been reported (I knew a lot of students who worked at Chick-fil-A, for example, and helped close the store each night).

So, as a likely example, when I was a student the way this would go down was if my roommate wasn't at the time by say 11, my room leader would have reported this to our RA, who would have tried to reach out to the student directly and if that was unsuccessful then by 11:30 or definitely by midnight the RA would have been on the phone with school security (which was kind of laughable but did exist). I'm not exactly sure what the procedure would have been after that. I can't recall a time where this ever happened when I was a student. But suffice to say these aren't the kinds of dorms where you just come in at whatever time you feel like in the middle of the night or don't show up at all -- a student not coming back to the dorm would have been a major, major issue and I would assume that by 2am this would have been known by the highest levels of college staff (not sure if Dr. Sexton himself would have been woken up for this, but it's possible; I understand his age/health might have changed things by now, but I suspect he would have been when I was a student).

How often did they track him? Randomly? Every night? Every hour? Weekends? Why was he "supposed to be at the dorm" on a Saturday night? Was there no socialization at all on weekends? Or, did he tell them that day that he planned staying in that night, and they decided to check up on him to see if he was being honest? If he knew they could track him, and they said he was supposed to be at the dorm that night, then maybe he assumed he'd be back at the dorm before if got too late.

I know how odd and overprotective it sounds that a parent might be checking their 20 year old kids whereabouts on a Saturday night, especially one enrolled at a Bible college, but in this environment this isn't very weird. I had a lot of friends at Crown who had parents who would have behaved this way, and their kids also would not have thought anything of it. I'm not saying BS or his family fall into this category, but there is nothing surprising here. To clarify my previous paragraph, and as I think cjk mentioned elsewhere, Crown students are required to stay in the dorm every night. Unless something has changed this is a pretty strict rule; you aren't allowed to go stay with your buddy across town or anything like that. If I recall correctly the only exception was if your family was visiting town and you got written permission then you could stay with them during that time. It was also very, very difficult (almost impossible) to get any kind of permission to spend a weekend out of town, even to go back to your own home/church. Except for breaks (only Christmas and Thanksgiving, not even Easter) and "ministry weekends" (which occurred once per semester) or some kind of organized school ministry trip, you stayed in the dorms every weekend, no exceptions.

A couple other thoughts:
<modsnip>

How do these circles deal with suicide?

Suicide would be viewed as tragic and "a permanent solution to a permanent problem." This is not a place where they believe that if you take your own life you go to hell because of it. It would just be regarded as very tragic and at some point someone would probably say something like "it's a shame he didn't find the strength he needed in the Lord" or something like that. I don't feel like suicides were ever swept under the rug, in the rare cases that they happened (I'm not aware of any in the Crown student body, from inception to today, though I could be unaware) I think they were always addressed head on. These are the kinds of Christians who look at death as an opportunity to spread a message. I don't agree with that message anymore but for what it's worth death, even suicide, is usually approached like, "How can we use this to help other people" and it's hard for me to be too critical of that general philosophy. So I don't think that if this is a suicide it's being covered up by the church/family/etc.

Small example for anyone who wants to do some research: in 2009 the pastor of the largest Baptist church in Canada (Roger Baker of Faithway Baptist Church) committed suicide. If you google "greg baker faithway suicide" you can read about it. I think a lot of the discussion online is mixed, but at Crown College/Temple Baptist Church I remember the event being handled very sensitively and respectfully. The mindset was that it was tragic and it was wrong, but anyone can make poor decisions in weak moments.

How was the car running all night?

I've enjoyed a lot of traveling over the years and have slept in my car multiple times, occasionally during the winter. It's amazing how little gas a car uses when it's not going anywhere. I don't want to give away locations as I don't care to be identified publicly but slept in my gar at a gas station one time during a very heavy, sudden snowstorm for probably 6ish hours with the heater running to keep off the chill and maybe I used up a quarter of a tank. I'm not sure that this would be true with the gas pedal depressed, even with the car not moving, but without knowing more details I am willing to assume that when the car crashed the cinder block fell off so at that point the car was just idling in reverse. Now, about that cinder block...

Who put the cinder block on the gas pedal?

This part right here doesn't explain what happened but it sure does make a strong case against this being an accidental death. Either he put it there on purpose (suicide) or someone else did (foul play). All the other details feel kind of incidental here to me. Answer this question and you've solved most of the case.

---

These aren't forums I'm familiar with, I created this account just to add some additional information, and I apologize if I've overstepped anywhere. Mods feel free to edit if needed. I hope I have not spoken too frankly about the rules at the college, which wasn't my point, but I did want to add some more context to the environment. I personally no longer subscribe to Crown's worldview but I try not to be too critical and as much as possible I try to be respectful even in disagreement. If mods want any kind of proof for verification that I did indeed attend Crown/live in the area, I'd be glad to provide. If anyone else has other questions I might be able to answer I will try to do that but not sure how much I'll be online over the next few days. I hope what I've posted has been helpful.

I do think this situation is very, very tragic and my heart goes out to the family. This is one of the most bizarre deaths I've ever heard of. It's really strange for it to figuratively hit so close to home, and I cannot imagine what his family, friends, and other loved ones are going through right now

So, I'm gonna go out on a long speculating limb here. Perhaps Blake decided to meet up with someone for a little action before having to be back in the dorm for curfew. Blake thinks he's meeting someone for a lil nookie (I can't believe I just used that word) but the person he's meeting is actually looking to rob and beat up a gay person (as I mentioned in the threads for Blaze Bernstein this has become a problem with meeting people using the apps). Blake meets the person at AFP, person robs or attempts to rob him, maybe Blake didn't have a lot of money on him, or maybe no money at all, so the person beats him up worse then he intended, realizing he's really hurt Blake, maybe thinking Blake is dead but he's really just unconscious, he dumps Blake in the water where he drowns and then sets up the car.

IF this scenario is even remotely accurate, no one may have known about Blake's secret life because he would install and uninstall the dating app. I know of people who do this, they will install one of the apps for just long enough to meet someone, swap addresses and then after the meet-up they will uninstall in the app so no one sees it on their phone and discovers their secret.

This is a highly speculative scenario and MOO.

I agree, no suicide. I like the theory too. Face and palm bruise is new info. Could have happened if someone slammed his head against the vehicle, and he had extended his hand to try to break the fall.

This person would know the area, and feel he could do this undetected, and leave.

The brick on the accelerator. Nothing stolen. Car beaten up. Close homes.

One of my theories: Maybe someone hurt B but it was during an argument, that went into a rage, kinda like dv. The other individual starts out by beating up B's vehicle (it's said he loved his vehicle). Then they turn on B, and his face comes in contact with the vehicle, and his hand is put up to brace impact. The bridge, that goes over Georges Creek, has a pull off where they could have easily pulled in and left his body. I feel about 95% sure he was found on the side of the pull off. The rest plays out as you suggest, DAnthrplgst. The car and the brick though. Maybe someone came along before they could put into gear and shoot it down to the lake? So they just took off and left it like that. Just thinkin'.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Blake9.jpg
    Blake9.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 446
What if Blake tried to put the car in gear and it accidentally went into reverse. What if he tried to keep it from going in reverse, injured himself on the door, and lost his hat and chain in the scuffle. And, what if the car door got bent backwards from him trying to hold it back. I saw a car door get bent backwards once. It didn’t take as much effort as I would have thought. It hit a post, but the car was barely even moving when it happened, as opposed to a cinder block on the gas pedal.

I would guess LE only found one set of footprints going into the water, and that’s why they’re saying accidental (as opposed to foul play.)

But they didn't pick up his scent, outside the vehicle. At this time of year, I'd read, iirc, OP say that Georges Creek was low of water too. I don't know how low though but there was a lot of bank showing in the photos that I saw.

I agree, no suicide. I like the theory too. Face and palm bruise is new info. Could have happened if someone slammed his head against the vehicle, and he had extended his hand to try to break the fall.

This person would know the area, and feel he could do this undetected, and leave.

The brick on the accelerator. Nothing stolen. Car beaten up. Close homes.

One of my theories: Maybe someone hurt B but it was during an argument, that went into a rage, kinda like dv. The other individual starts out by beating up B's vehicle (it's said he loved his vehicle). Then they turn on B, and his face comes in contact with the vehicle, and his hand is put up to brace impact. The bridge, that goes over Georges Creek, has a pull off where they could have easily pulled in and left his body. I feel about 95% sure he was found on the side of the pull off. The rest plays out as you suggest, DAnthrplgst. The car and the brick though. Maybe someone came along before they could put into gear and shoot it down to the lake? So they just took off and left it like that. Just thinkin'.
attachment.php

That's an interesting speculation, a DV type situation playing that. As for the bruises on his hands I was thinking less breaking a fall and more defensive wounds or even maybe he got a few shots in before the other person was able to disable him. I can't remember where I read this so take it with a grain of salt until verified, but I recall reading he was a black belt, I think in Karate. If that is accurate then he easily could have gotten the bruises from attempting to defend himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela