Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted while jogging 4:30 am, forced into SUV, Central Ave near Univ of M, personal items found, Memphis 2 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if they don’t need the public’s help to identity the man on the video as of today, there is no compelling need to release it now. And the downside is it could be incredibly disturbing to see Eliza being attacked and kidnapped especially for her family and friends and to be on the internet for all of time for her kids.
I was thinking about why they did not release it initially -- before the guy was detained today. There is a lot we don't know. Was the man they detained today the same person who grabbed Eliza? We don't know. Was the car stolen? Definitely disturbing to see someone being abducted, but you go all out and release it if you think it will help. They obviously had a reason not to release it when they released the car image though.

The overnight search at Overton Park was important and purposeful. I think through data collection, LE was able to further track and narrow down the location of the SUV.
I think either they had surveillance video of the suspect vehicle in the area, someone found something suspicious in the area, or someone witnessed a vehicle matching the description there earlier.

if you think it will help.
Don't you think they might have felt they didn't have time to man tip lines and run down bogus leads when they already had so much to work with? As they kept tugging the lines, finding more video footage and following all they were finding, would it have slowed the investigation down to have to deal with the general public?

Don't you think they might have felt they didn't have time to man tip lines and run down bogus leads when they already had so much to work with? As they kept tugging the lines, finding more video footage and following all they were finding, would it have slowed the investigation down to have to deal with the general public?
Then why release the car image? I'm not criticizing LE. I'm wondering why. Yes, perhaps they did not want to deal with tips.

I think if they don’t need the public’s help to identity the man on the video as of today, there is no compelling need to release it now. And the downside is it could be incredibly disturbing to see Eliza being attacked and kidnapped especially for her family and friends and to be on the internet for all of time for her kids.
I would certainly hope they would not release the abduction video. I brought up only because they haven’t advised the public of a threat, or asked for help In identifying anyone.

So they must be confident they have their man. I just hope they are right.

The overnight search at Overton Park was important and purposeful. I think through data collection, LE was able to further track and narrow down the location of the SUV.
I hate to be graphic and maybe too pessimistic, but if you're going to hide or bury a body, Overton Park in Memphis is about as inconspicuous as Central park in NYC would be. It doesn't make much sense. Hoping for a good outcome when I check back on this tomorrow morning.

I think there are two things here. I'm not going to be too critical of the Memphis police because I think they are generally doing a good job on this case. If they did not think they needed tips or did not have the resources to deal with them then they should not ask. But they have been getting and responding to tips in searching the park last night, the shopping center, and maybe the apartment complex.

Where I think they have failed is in communicating with the public. They have no obligation to communicate with me, some guy sitting in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. They do have an obligation to inform the residents of Memphis and especially the University of Memphis students about threats in the community. Is there a kidnapper running around free? If not, what leads them to believe that. They don't need to provide details that might undermine a conviction but they do need to convince the average person that, if they have someone in custody, he is likely the right guy. The police have not officially even confirmed that they have someone under arrest. All that the people of Memphis have is a report in the DM that police have detained someone and are assessing whether he was involved in the kidnapping. That is far short of what people are entitled too in order to assess their own safety and adjust their behavior.

They can meet their obligation to inform by holding regular press briefings. That simply does not take a lot of resources. If they don't have information to share, that is not an excuse for not holding a briefing because the public is entitled to know how little information they have if that is the case.

I realize Memphis has a fairly high crime rate and they may think this one additional kidnapping does not move the meter. But I actually think there should be regular briefings for all major crimes like kidnapping or murder, especially if the investigation is active and using significant resources. Public accountability is also at play here. Remind us every day how many officers are assigned to look for Rich White Woman and how many are looking for Poor Black Girl? I actually don't think this is a W/B thing. I think it is R/P. But having the chief spend 15 minutes answering tough questions every day would be a good thing for any police agency.

Her clothing was minimal. It could probably fit in a regular McDonalds to-go bag (any small bag). Why would someone chance pulling up, opening those trash bin doors, and getting rid of them there? Just left for the next employee to see them on top of a trash pile? It's not like an employee goes through bags in the dumpster. I think anyone would assume there are camera there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgieCat