Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted while jogging 4:30 am, forced into SUV, Central Ave near Univ of M, personal items found, Memphis 2 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been determined that Eliza can run an 8 minute mile. By example, police officers must run a 1.5 mile in 16 -20 minutes in order to pass their physical test. Eliza may not been training for a marathon bc the Boston Marathon was in APR and the St Jude Marathon is in DEC. Then, I recalled my daughter running the Chicago Marathon which is one of the six majors. It's in OCT. Hence, I do think she may have been in training mode so she was running at a good clip FRI morning.

If the kidnapper was trolling the streets for a victim when he spotted Liza, and she's running half the pace of a gazelle, how did this creep manage to catch her? Why have the police described there being a brief struggle?
Brief did stand out to me as well.

There has to have been two people in the SUV. No way they could get her (even with a struggle) into the SUV after a brief chase (BQ qualifier and very athletic). She appears sweet but also feisty. Two people in the SUV, twice as likely someone will crack. Less reason to release the video. Working to have someone flip. IMO

IMO this was planned and there is a more sinister side that will be revealed. I would like nothing more than for them to find her and safely get her home. MOO is that will not happen; the perps may not have known her well or at all but this was targeted.. JMO-man.
I was thinking the same thing about there possibly being someone other than the driver in the SUV.

Tazer- sure. Stalker? Maybe. I haven't heard of many criminals up at 4:30-5:00 with a strong plan for abducting someone. Furthermore, someone that could put up a fight or a solid chance of running away.

Follow the money...
I haven't snooped any of her social media, not sure how public her posts/life are for the stalker element unless it's someone known to her from work, gym, club, etc.

I agree with following the money trail too...

Tazer- sure. Stalker? Maybe. I haven't heard of many criminals up at 4:30-5:00 with a strong plan for abducting someone. Furthermore, someone that could put up a fight or a solid chance of running away.

Follow the money...
I think this is way too sloppy for that. It was as brazen as it was stupid, and it resulted in an arrest a day later.

I was thinking the same thing about there possibly being someone other than the driver in the SUV.

IIRC I saw one article/tweet or whatever it was that mentioned abductors and another that said a male. I'm foggy though, regardless it's not clear if 1 or 2 perps.. interesting that LE hasn't confirmed either as well as the video it would surely show if 1 or 2. LE is being very strategic it seems.

So you're thinking opportunistic or sexual predator more than planned? Or if planned, just badly planned?
I'm the beginning, I was skeptical of a random abduction. Those types of events are incredibly rare, especially considering this woman's victimology (age, lifestyle, etc).

Of course they happen though, and everything we are seeing right now, I've seen in other stranger abduction cases. It looks that way, and it feels that way based on what we know, and how low enforcement is behaving.

So I believe this was a sexually motivated crime of opportunity.

He saw her, he attacked her, he kidnapped her, and you know the rest...

I'm going to throw a couple of things out there, mostly so others can throw rocks at my thinking.

If this was a random sexual assault I find it hard to believe there were 2 guys involved. I say that because it seems highly unsual, although not unheard of for things to happen that way. Those kinds of predators don't seem to work in groups.

It is also unusual for criminals to be out at that time of morning. In college I lived in a pretty bad neighborhood for about a year, bodies in dumpsters, drug dealers, people selling stolen stuff out of the back of their car...but even there it was pretty quiet between about 2 AM and noon.

I am leaning toward a SA by a solo perpetrator. If we find out there were 2 people in the SUV that would cause me to shift more to a targeted attack.

People keep talking about her running speed. I think I heard her previous marathon time was about 8 min/mile and time was about 3:40. That would be race pace for a marathon. We know little about her training routine but it is common to do shorter runs at a little faster pace and longer runs a bit slower. I used to do sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. The Olympic distance took me about 3 hours. Many athletes do routine trainings at about 2/3 their race time or distance then step it up before a race. And for the shorter distance you try to get your pace a little faster. So if she was a marathoner, 2/3 of 26.2/3:40 miles would be 17.5 miles/2:30 and she might have been shooting for a 7 min/mile pace. She was abducted 4.9 miles from home so she would would have been about 35 minutes out. I think the timing fits with a 3:45 alarm and jumping up, pulling clothes and shoes on and getting out a bit early that day. What would not fit is being back for husband to go ride at 5:00. But they clearly coordinated on workouts.

I'm going to throw a couple of things out there, mostly so others can throw rocks at my thinking.

If this was a random sexual assault I find it hard to believe there were 2 guys involved. I say that because it seems highly unsual, although not unheard of for things to happen that way. Those kinds of predators don't seem to work in groups.

It is also unusual for criminals to be out at that time of morning. In college I lived in a pretty bad neighborhood for about a year, bodies in dumpsters, drug dealers, people selling stolen stuff out of the back of their car...but even there it was pretty quiet between about 2 AM and noon.

I am leaning toward a SA by a solo perpetrator. If we find out there were 2 people in the SUV that would cause me to shift more to a targeted attack.

People keep talking about her running speed. I think I heard her previous marathon time was about 8 min/mile and time was about 3:40. That would be race pace for a marathon. We know little about her training routine but it is common to do shorter runs at a little faster pace and longer runs a bit slower. I used to do sprint and Olympic distance triathlons. The Olympic distance took me about 3 hours. Many athletes do routine trainings at about 2/3 their race time or distance then step it up before a race. And for the shorter distance you try to get your pace a little faster. So if she was a marathoner, 2/3 of 26.2/3:40 miles would be 17.5 miles/2:30 and she might have been shooting for a 7 min/mile pace. She was abducted 4.9 miles from home so she would would have been about 35 minutes out. I think the timing fits with a 3:45 alarm and jumping up, pulling clothes and shoes on and getting out a bit early that day. What would not fit is being back for husband to go ride at 5:00. But they clearly coordinated on workouts.

All very good points. We had the same thoughts regarding time etc.

I can't figure out how someone could park, grab someone, get them in the car and drive away without more video footage from the intersection.

I like your methodical approach @KonaHonu.

Faster. She could run under a 7 minute mile for 26.2 miles. marathon pace, not under the duress of running for her life. Qualifying times for a 34 y/o female is 3:00:00.

BAA qualifying times
I was once in a 5k run, very short in comparison. But there was an olympic gold medalist in the race. He was in his 80s and coming off a foot injury. Of course the announcers were all focused on him. I heard them announce he was 1/4 mile out and I was only about 100 yards farther from the finish. I wanted the story! I poured on the coals and even though I was near the end of the race I had trained for, I almost caught up with him and finished about 20 yards behind him.

I tell this story because someone like her, only 5 miles into her run would have had plenty left in her to sprint away from an attacker. I'm not in the camp that she knew her attacker but I don't think she had any reason to be suspicious until too late.

Everyone's basing her times off a subqualifier from 2019. Has she actually run marathons? Usually this info is found through a basic google search so I don't know what name she's running under. I don't doubt her routine or commitment, that's an absolutely thorough theme throughout her social media (which is all anyone's going by). I think people just like to talk about (or respect) running strategy but a lot more context is needed for it to actually apply here. Why is she running at 3:45; finally training for something? Can't sleep? Blowing off steam? Why does she get home first before her husband rides? Why do they need to alternate if they have a live in nanny? Do they have that? etc.

Last edited:

Early morning (sun) here in Scotland . Thanks for all the updates not much in UK press at all . Been following case with hope but my heart sank when I checked WS as soon as I woke this morning . Prayers to all concerned.
Don't really post but like to muse over everyone's interesting and varied posts . Also good to see familiar posters on the cases I follow .

Faster. She could run under a 7 minute mile for 26.2 miles. marathon pace, not under the duress of running for her life. Qualifying times for a 34 y/o female is 3:00:00.

BAA qualifying times
Actually it for a female it is 3:30 or roughly 8 minute miles. Of course, that is the bare minimum. She ran an off road race in Millington TN and was the top female finisher - 26K (~16.16 miles) in 2:26:49 or about 9 min miles. BUT that was off road, i.e., not on pavement and unsupported. You can probably knock one and a half minutes off that average on pavement. I wouldn't doubt we're talking about a 7:30 per mile runner.

Everyone's basing her times off a subqualifier from 2019. Has she actually run marathons? Usually this info is found through a basic google search so I don't know what name she's running under. I don't doubt her routine or commitment, that's an absolutely thorough theme throughout her social media (which is all anyone's going by). I think people just like to talk about (or respect) running strategy but a lot more context is needed for it to actually apply here. Why is she running at 3:45; finally training for something? Can't sleep? Blowing off steam? Why does she get home first before her husband rides? Why do they need to alternate if they have a live in nanny? Do they have that? etc.
She runs under "Liza Fletcher". Its not easy to find results but she ran the St. Jude Half Marathon (13.1 miles) in 2017 (2:22 or about 9 min pace) and the St. Jude Marathon in 2018 (3:51:35 or about 8:50 min pace). In 2019 she ran the St. Judes in roughly 3:27 or roughly a 7:53 pace - good enough to qualify for 2020 or 2021 Boston. In 2020 there was no Boston Marathon and she didn't run it in 2021. But given her results in the 2019 St. Jude's she is certainly capable of qualifying. She just had to run a qualifying marathon no earlier than 01 Sept 2021. She didn't run St. Jude's in 2021, but she could have run any one of a number of other marathons after 01 Sept 2021 to qualify.

Statement from Memphis Police:

The individual who was detained has been officially charged in connection with the abduction of Eliza Fletcher. At this point in the investigation, Cleotha Abston, 38, has been charged with Especially Aggravated Kidnapping and Tampering with Evidence.

Eliza Fletcher has not been located at this time. MPD Investigators and officers, along with our local and federal partners, continue searching for Mrs. Fletcher.

A second individual, currently not believed to be connected to Fletcher's abduction, was also arrested during this investigation. Mario Abston, 36, was charged with Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Manufacture and Sell Fentanyl, Possession of a Controlled Substance with Intent to Manufacture and Sell Heroin, and Convicted Felon in Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Dangerous Felony.

This remains to be an active and ongoing investigation.

We continue to ask for assistance from the community. If anyone has any information concerning this investigation, they should call CrimeStoppers at 901-528-CASH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980