Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging Near University of Memphis #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@BriaJonesTV

NEW DETAILS Police used DNA from shoes at the scene to identify Cleotha Abston as a suspect in #ElizaFletcher abduction His brother told officers he acting “strange”
He was seen washing his clothes in the sink & cleaning the interior of his GMC Terrain
@3onyoursi
Well frick that’s just not good . Just geez I feel for her family the more news that comes out the worst it looks jmoo .

I was wondering how he obtained financing on the GMC SUV, if it is indeed his vehicle.
He may have paid cash for it. jmo
@BriaJonesTV

NEW DETAILS Police used DNA from shoes at the scene to identify Cleotha Abston as a suspect in #ElizaFletcher abduction His brother told officers he acting “strange”
He was seen washing his clothes in the sink & cleaning the interior of his GMC Terrain
@3onyoursi
Her shoes or his shoes? Ugh

Depending upon which facility you are in, and your status, you could have at least have access to an email type of system that is monitored and has limited and approved list of names.
Thank you for the explanation. IMO, prison isn tough enough then. Money shouldn't be spent on employees to monitor this so 's can have access to the internet.

@BriaJonesTV

@3onyoursi
That DNA sure came back fast. I wish that was the case all the time.

The TBI performed a DNA tests on the slides and found that they belonged to Cleotha Abston after his information matched that in the CODIS database.

According to police records, “As the abduction was violent with, as captured on video, the suspect waiting for, then rushing toward the victim, then forcing the victim into the vehicle, where she was confined and removed and continues to be missing, it is believed and supported by the facts and physical evidence that she suffered serious injury. Further, it is probable and apparent from witness statements that these injuries left evidence, e.g. blood, in the vehicle that the Defendant cleaned.

Question for those who follow these cases regularly - what's the likelihood of a perp being arrested and the victim being found alive after the fact? Are there examples of that happening? If so, what were the circumstances in other cases?
Found one! Katie Beers

Two days before her tenth birthday, Katie Beers was kidnapped from a Long Island, New York, arcade by John Esposito, a family friend.

Esposito held Beers in a tiny underground bunker for 16 days. After Esposito, who had a friendly relationship with Beers prior to the kidnapping, was questioned, he eventually confessed and led police to the bunker.

The police were led to the hideaway at 1416 Saxon Avenue here by John Esposito, a 43-year-old contractor who until today had denied any involvement in Katie's disappearance. Mr. Esposito, a longtime friend of the Beers family, had maintained that Katie vanished from a video arcade, which he had taken her to on Dec. 28.

How exactly did he think he would get away with this?

CCTV cameras everywhere
His DNA would already be on file

The mind boggles that he is just this vile of human being and that jail taught him nothing at all. Don’t you get interviewed before release to make sure you won’t reoffend?

I don’t believe it’s allowed, but inmates smuggle things like drugs and phones in all the time from what I’ve heard. The phone holder trades favors, gets someone to give them commissary etc for momentary access to phone, which explains the occasional, short FB posts made on his account. He might have only told the phone holder what he wanted to say without ever touching phone.
I’m not surprised he was breaking the rules even when he was locked up.

He left his shoes at the scene?? Or his DNA was on her shoes left at the scene?
I would guess her shoes, with his DNA, something along the lines of her falling to the ground and kicking, and him removing her shoes before loading her into his SUV. As fit as she was she only weighed 137lbs and from his mugshot he is six feet and at least 200lbs, without a serious weapon, she had no chance.

For a guy who spent most of the last nearly 20 years in prison, "acting strange" would have to be pretty darn strange.
I suspect that he didn't know who he had kidnapped and once he found out he really freaked out. He probably thought it was a student and it would take time for her to be reported missing. JMO

The TBI performed a DNA tests on the slides and found that they belonged to Cleotha Abston after his information matched that in the CODIS database.

Oh wow. So it seems he was alone if he was in the vehicle with her for 4 minutes after abducting her… this is brutal. She had no chance. Just a random attach for an innocent person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

According to police records, “As the abduction was violent with, as captured on video, the suspect waiting for, then rushing toward the victim, then forcing the victim into the vehicle, where she was confined and removed and continues to be missing, it is believed and supported by the facts and physical evidence that she suffered serious injury. Further, it is probable and apparent from witness statements that these injuries left evidence, e.g. blood, in the vehicle that the Defendant cleaned.

That is unbelievably awful. Poor Eliza. I have no words.

So he had her in his car for four minutes before driving off, there was no second person. He likely incapacitated her in those minutes before driving off. I bet she put up one hell of a fight.

I suspect that he didn't know who he had kidnapped and once he found out he really freaked out. He probably thought it was a student and it would take time for her to be reported missing. JMO
I don't give him credit for doing any thinking at all. He saw an opportunity and took it, didn't really care who she was, MOO

That’s a great question. My mind went to Jayme Closs, Hannah Anderson, Kala Brown, Elizabeth Thomas, the 3 girls in Cleveland. But I believe all were found prior to, or at the same time, as the abductor was captured. Not after.

I hope someone finds a case where an abductor was captured, and victim later found alive. None come to mind, which leaves little room for hope here.

jmo

Elizabeth Smart, Jaycee Dugard.

But yes, Smart and Jaycee were found with (Smart) or on the premises of (Jaycee) their captors, who were THEN arrested.

I'm trying to think of a case as well where the perp was arrested and AFTERWARDS the victim was found alive, but none comes to mind.

So Cleotha Abston kidnaps a male lawyer, and as soon as he's able he kidnaps a female runner.

I don't get the feeling he pores over The Financial Times. Perhaps as Abston has a long record, and the first victim was a criminal defense attorney, he knew him from making the rounds in court? Knew he was a lawyer and equated that with money? It does seem that the first kidnapping was money-related.

In Eliza's case, I think he just saw a woman alone in the middle of the night. Different motive than he had for the lawyer. Spent years in jail, maybe just wanted a woman.

She may have run faster than a gazelle, but he could have blocked her path with the car and brandished a gun and she froze. Or variations on that scenario.

I don't expect a good outcome at all. I would adore being wrong.

Jmo

ETA: just read your post now @steeltowngirl ! Yay, Katie Beers !!!!!

Last edited:
How was he allowed Facebook in prison? Smh.
I looked into this recently for another case. Some inmates use TRULINCS, then get a friend or family member to manage a social media page on their behalf.

In 2009, the Federal Bureau of Prisons introduced the Trust Fund Limited Inmate Computer System (TRULINCS), an email server for prison inmates. It is a secure system where an inmate can only send and receive messages to people on a pre-approved contact list without actually having access to any of the other services or abilities of the Internet. TRULINCS is run by a privately-owned company, Corrlinks.

Other methods are described in this article.

“DNA from shoes at the scene”
so Liza fought hard enough to knock off his shoe(s) or he was violent enough to knock hers off when putting her into his car?
I’m thinking it must have been the first scenario- maybe he was in flip-flops and the dear girl tried to fight him tooth and nail. God bless her! I’m heartbroken.

Also fuming about his FB page - the fact he was allowed one and the filthy, perverted, sexist things he posted WHILE TAXPAYERS WERE FUNDING HIS STAY IN PRISON. We need some reforms!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Senor710