TN - Gail Nowacki Palmgren, 44, Signal Mountain, 30 April 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please pardon me if this has already been posted, but there appears to be several Walmarts in the Signal Mt and greater Chattanooga area. Does anyone know which Walmart showed up on her cell phone pings? I'm also curious about security cams. Surely they must show something. I'm also concerned about the husband's legal activities. It seems strange to me that his initial reaction would be to seek a restraining order while she's missing, no matter the current state of their marriage.

I lived on Signal Mountain before I moved a little over a year ago. There is only one Wal-Mart at the base of the mountain and it takes less than 10 minutes to drive down the mountain. There are also two roads that go off of what we call the "front side" of Signal. One is Signal Mtn Blvd, which runs right in front of Wal-Mart and the other is the "W" road which meets Mtn Creek Rd and joins Signal Mtn Blvd at a red light.

I read where someone was questioning whether or not there were security cameras at Wal-Mart. There are security cameras at both entrances and there are red lights at each entrance as well. The Wal-Mart also sits directly across the four lane road from the Komatsu plant.

Someone also mentioned that only affluent people live on the mountain and this is not true. There are a lot of well to do people who live there, but definitely not the only people who live there. There is a good mixture of all walks of life in the community.

That mountain is the safest place that I have ever lived and there is hardly any crime and it is a very desirable place to live. At least on the Hamilton County side... One thing that concerns me, is that I don't think the Signal Mtn PD is equipped to handle a case like this. Simply because they do not see things like this often at all. To me, this sounds like a serious domestic issue and I hope that this ends well. Especially for the children.

I don't know it it's ok to post this or not (please delete this part if not), but the husband is the director of Blue Cross Blue Shield. I didn't see anywhere where it was mentioned or if it was even relevant.

BTW a restraining order filed contemporaneously with separation or divorce could be nothing. When I was a title examiner we would occasionally have to examine divorce cases as part of our title search. I've seen restraining orders that just said one party is not allowed to deliberately annoy the other (always found that one funny), or orders restraining a party from selling any property or cashing pensions or savings accounts...it doesn't necessarily have to do with violence. Especially since it seems he accused her of removing large amounts of valuables from the home, it could just be that she was restrained from taking anything else of value. Or it really could be something. Some counties are online, not sure if this one is or not.

"Husbands can be abused too......."

Yes they surely can....but..

Why did he allow his supposedly depressed and increasingly paranoid wife off on a 3 hour journey with the children he's so worried about...after a highly stressful encounter requiring the police...and very possibly into stressful driving conditions? A woman in such an unstable state should never have been allowed to make this drive under these conditions...especially with the children. If Gail had to go, and was in such a depressed state of mind, what dad in his right mind allows the children to go too? His mom could have watched them while he was at work, or he could easily have found friends where they could go for a playdate for the day. Maybe Gail would leave, but surely these children he's so concerned about would have stayed.

Surely there's only one answer to that, re: Gail's mental state?

"He said on the weekend of April 23 she removed over $30,000 in items from the residence, including her jewelry, his jewelry and jewelry belonging to his family."

keyword "He Says".
My Question: If she had changed pin #'s to grant access to $400,000 in bank accounts, and was planning to run...why didn't she take the cash out of the bank instead of stuff she'd need to pawn and so risk exposure, AND get a great deal less than $30,000 for? Assuming she didn't take money out...he doesn't say she did...this is surely the act of someone protecting funds pending a possible divorce proceeding, not someone planning to run.

And what's all that stuff about taking passports and fearing Gail will materialize and steal the children? Seems like he's saying she had Stuff,access to decent funds, transport, passports and the children in hand...and then went off on her own somewhere without the children?????

A question for parents: If you fear that your spouse will steal your children....would you let them wander around freely at after-school events, chit chatting with their mom's friends...running in the halls...while you were sat somewhere not paying attention or even being able to see them at all times??? I don't need to supply that answer, do I?? (on May 4th btw)

There are so many ways I want to look at this, but the statements made in this filing make no real sense at all....and yes he reported her missing, but the neighbor and Gail's sister got there first.

Matt and Gail surely have done something right in their marriage though, because their children are wonderful.

A mom who is as involved with her children as Gail, armed with passports and funds...surely takes them with her when she runs...just like her husband worries about...except she didn't take them.

Thank you Britt for the info! So if her husband was the last person to see her and she reportedly left around noon, it seems to me that LE really needs to be checking the Walmart security cams in addition to any traffic cams in the immediate area. If her vehicle shows up on any of the 4/30 footage, LE may want to check if she was actually the driver or if there were any third parties in the vehicle. I'm sure LE has already checked on this, but it sure would be nice to have that info.

"I assume areas along the road up the mountain have been searched thoroughly (or are in the process of...)? "

The police may have done so, we really hope so. Gail's brother says he has driven all the roads:

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/Day-...essee-Woman-From-Williamsville-121662839.html

"We've been searching, I've personally driven almost every street of Chattanooga searching for her," Nowacki said. "I've gone through the mountain range right there, every street."

There has been no call for volunteers to quarter the mountain...we are ready when there is! There are numerous lakes, ponds and of course the Tennessee River. There are bluffs and ditches and steep drops at the sides of the roads. There are so many trees....so many places that her car could be hidden, or just gone off the road.

There are 4 roads up Signal Mountain/Walden's Ridge.

The expressway has cameras at the Signal Mountain junction near Wal Mart...there are Cameras along 27, 24 and 75 and 153. If they record and if the police thought to look soon enough, then surely they might know if she took one of these roads. With the storm damage, these highways were open but slow in places. Many alternate routes were blocked....it's likely Gail travelled this way for some of her journey. Dunlap-way I don't know if there are camera's. Of course, maybe a tornado took the system down?

Someone also mentioned that only affluent people live on the mountain and this is not true. There are a lot of well to do people who live there, but definitely not the only people who live there. There is a good mixture of all walks of life in the community.

No one actually said that, only that Signal Mt. is considered an affluent area. I'm sorry if people are taking that to mean that only "rich people" live there. That's not what it means.

Signal Mt. started out as a resort area where people would go to get away from mosquitoes and heat in Chattanooga. That's why the area out along Walden's Ridge was called "Summertown." Wealthy people from the city would often own a home on the mountain, so there is old money up there. Now that the land is being developed more, there is alot of new money too.

I've had to defend this fact all day, and I'm tired of talking about it. I think the average income on Signal Mt. is higher than most of Chattanooga. Anyone can look it up for themselves on Wikipedia.

brittbritt said:
I don't know it it's ok to post this or not (please delete this part if not), but the husband is the director of Blue Cross Blue Shield. I didn't see anywhere where it was mentioned or if it was even relevant.
Right, so he has some money, doesn't he? Money can be a motive. Money is also a sticking point during a bad divorce.

The expressway has cameras at the Signal Mountain junction near Wal Mart...there are Cameras along 27, 24 and 75 and 153. If they record and if the police thought to look soon enough, then surely they might know if she took one of these roads. With the storm damage, these highways were open but slow in places. Many alternate routes were blocked....it's likely Gail travelled this way for some of her journey. Dunlap-way I don't know if there are camera's. Of course, maybe a tornado took the system down?

Dunlap was hit by a tornado on April 27th. There had to be trees down on that side of the mountain. Where would she be going?

Here's the view from Signal Mt. looking towards the TN River Gorge and downtown:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--JO_jKZd1Q&feature=related[/ame]​

"

Snipped by me...

Yes, there are 4 roads off of the mountain. I mentioned the two on the front side in my post. As far as the other two go, one is called the "gap rd" and it follows through to the Hixson/Soddy Daisy area. The other is Taft Hwy/127 that goes down the back side of the mtn into Dunlap.

As far as cameras on the road in Dunlap, I don't think there are any unless there are some on hwy 111.

Here is a great video showing the view from Signal Mt, and if you go straight to 2:45 he talks about the Komatsu Plant and the Wal Mart at the base of Signal Mt. Road. Now I don't know why they are focusing on Wal-Mart instead of on the cellphone tower. But that is definitely the nearest one to where this woman lived.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NXxnRnd6g&feature=related[/ame]​

This is a fairly close knit community. It's hard to drive around the Mountain without seing at least one person to wave to. Someone would have seen her car that day.

It is not possible to go to the grocery store up here OR to the Wal Mart or BiLo at the bottom of the mountain, and not see many people you know...infact, shopping around here is a very slow business as a result.

If she went to Wal Mart on that Saturday (with her cellphone) ...for no-one to have seen Gail (or her car in the parking lot), whilst not impossible, is less likely than the reverse.

Unfortunately, this is what happened:
Most of the Mountain attends church and most of the Mountain did not find out about Gail being missing until leaving church on Mothers Day morning when they discovered fliers on their cars. In fact, the first rumors that she was missing seemed to have percolated to the local gym Thursday 5th's morning and VERY slowly outward from there.
I fear that people who saw her that day, by the time they knew she was in trouble, may not be able to remember precisely which day it was when they last saw her.

Is it usual for it to take so long for a person to be known as missing within their community?

This is a fairly close knit community. It's hard to drive around the Mountain without seing at least one person to wave to. Someone would have seen her car that day.

It is not possible to go to the grocery store up here OR to the Wal Mart or BiLo at the bottom of the mountain, and not see many people you know...infact, shopping around here is a very slow business as a result.

If she went to Wal Mart on that Saturday (with her cellphone) ...for no-one to have seen Gail (or her car in the parking lot), whilst not impossible, is less likely than the reverse.

I think that's a really good point. I agree. That's why I'm questioning if she herself ever made it to the Wal-Mart even if her phone might have been used there. That brings several scenarios to mind, but I'm not sure what might have happened.

fbx said:
Unfortunately, this is what happened:
Most of the Mountain attends church and most of the Mountain did not find out about Gail being missing until leaving church on Mothers Day morning when they discovered fliers on their cars. In fact, the first rumors that she was missing seemed to have percolated to the local gym Thursday 5th's morning and VERY slowly outward from there.
I fear that people who saw her that day, by the time they knew she was in trouble, may not be able to remember precisely which day it was when they last saw her.

Another great point. I fear you are right.

fbx said:
Is it usual for it to take so long for a person to be known as missing within their community?
No, people usually report someone missing right away and their only problem is to convince the police to start searching. In this case, the husband made the decision not to report her missing for two days. We don't know exactly what he told her family, but they were worried enough to come directly to TN and begin a search with fliers.

Did the husband delay because he was worried about his reputation? I'm sure he is more worried now with all these new details coming out.

It's interesting because two little girls went missing in the Brainerd area of Chattanooga this week and police were all over it right away.

A police command post had been set up and fliers were being distributed. at 901 Woodmore Lane before officials reported the girls were found safe just after 8:30 a.m.

But in that case, the mother notified police within minutes of the kids disappearing.
http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_200815.asp

Does the vehicle have OnStar/GPS tracking? Has LE had helicopters out searching around the cliffs of those mountains?

I can't imagine going to a safe house for this long without letting someone know you are okay, at least her own family.

It just seems strange that she seemed to be preparing to leave, or at least protecting her interests and then all of a sudden she disappears off the face of the earth. A little too convenient scenario if you will.

I don't have a clear picture of how long the children were home alone on Saturday. When did the husband return?

TIA

No one actually said that, only that Signal Mt. is considered an affluent area. I'm sorry if people are taking that to mean that only "rich people" live there. That's not what it means.

Signal Mt. started out as a resort area where people would go to get away from mosquitoes and heat in Chattanooga. That's why the area out along Walden's Ridge was called "Summertown." Wealthy people from the city would often own a home on the mountain, so there is old money up there. Now that the land is being developed more, there is alot of new money too.

I've had to defend this fact all day, and I'm tired of talking about it. I think the average income on Signal Mt. is higher than most of Chattanooga. Anyone can look it up for themselves on Wikipedia.

Right, so he has some money, doesn't he? Money can be a motive. Money is also a sticking point during a bad divorce.

Post #38 says, "Signal Mountain is a really small town and almost everyone is affluent." That is not the same as saying it is an affluent area.

I do not see any value of the continued effort to characterize the community as a whole or to bring up the history of how the community began or to point out average income up here.

I don't see the point of characterizing the family either, but at least the statement that they have wealth is an accurate one. I doubt the Blue Cross Blue Shield detail was meant to reinforce that point, however.

Posts like this rub some people the wrong way, and I don't see how they help the case.

I am thinking it would be important to know if they had surveillance cameras in the Walmart parking lot.
I am going to look at google earth and see if I can tell, but if we have anyone that lives in the area it would be helpful to know for sure.

I'm sure they do.. But we had severe storms come through Chattanooga and Signal Mtn. on the 27th of April.. Over 100,000 had no power for a week, some longer, so many Chattanoogan , Signal Mtn, North Georgia , North Alabama residents did not have access to any local or national news.....
Members of our family, who live on Signal Mtn left for St. Johns Island on the 29th, 30th of April for a destination wedding for my niece.. This is the first I have heard of a Signal Mtn. woman being missing, but I have been extremely busy since our return dealing with insurance claim adjusters, electricians, roofers, tree cutters...
I have to go over there this afternoon and will look around to see if there are surveliance cameras..However it is quite possible Walmart didn't even have power on the 30th of April...
I'll see IF I can find out anything today..

"Dunlap was hit by a tornado on April 27th. There had to be trees down on that side of the mountain. Where would she be going?"

Maybe to Nashville or Knoxville avoiding expressways

But you're exactly right, we had to drive around a fair bit that Saturday and unless it was expressway, there were trees and power lines and glass and insulation...and letters from Alabama...everywhere. If those traffic cams were still up and running, since the police know the timeframe to look within...

Probably rules out Dunlap...but maybe not Roberts Mill Road and from there HWY 153 (cameras on the Dam). But if Wal Mart is real, then surely the junction camera has that jeep on it? Jasper seems really unlikely because of possible tornado damage, Redbank was messy with downed trees and Power lines, although navigable slowly...and anyway, that camera also shows under the bridge,
doesn't it?

If Gail left the mountain that particular Saturday, her options were much more limited than usual and I'm really hopeful about that camera...all the traffic lights had power right there on Saturday.

Walmart had power Saturday, and was already selling generators, chainsaws and huge flashlights. Having just said that and pure speculation (not sure it's allowed but someone can always delete!). I've been having trouble with the leaving the kids and taking off. Visiting Wal Mart doesn't seem to fit....but it might if there was damage at their lake house and she was grabbing supplies before heading back out there...sans kids, because it was dangerous. Where was Matt...maybe on his way back to the home and only a few minutes away? Why no-one looked for her right away SO bothers me....she could have been wrecked off the side of the mountain needing urgent care!
..actually, she still could be, it's not like we've all met up and done a huge co-ordinated search....helicopters?????? I wish we were seeing them.

The husband is the director of Blue Cross Blue Shield?

I'll find out what I can today from my brother-n-law.. He is also in management with Blue Cross/ Blue Shield in Chattanooga and he and my sister-n-law live on Signal... As I stated before, our family was out of town for a destination wedding/vacation when this happened...My brother-n-law didn't even return to work until Wednesday the 11th of this week..

From the information I have read here and gleamed through the linked articles, it would not surprise me if the husband had something to do with her disappearance. This is my opinion only, although I believe there are other Websleuthers who feel as I do.

I am interested in learning what Emeralgem's brother-in-law hears at work.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14627648

"But not everyone believes Gail is missing.

Her husband, Matthew Palmgren, has filed a restraining order, a request for custody of the couple's children, and possession of their home."

I am curious to know why the restraining order...

Why the he77 does he need a restraining order when LE cannot even find her?? :banghead:

Post #38 says, "Signal Mountain is a really small town and almost everyone is affluent." That is not the same as saying it is an affluent area.

I do not see any value of the continued effort to characterize the community as a whole or to bring up the history of how the community began or to point out average income up here.

I don't see the point of characterizing the family either, but at least the statement that they have wealth is an accurate one. I doubt the Blue Cross Blue Shield detail was meant to reinforce that point, however.

Posts like this rub some people the wrong way, and I don't see how they help the case.

I personally am very grateful for the details of the community and i think it helps to have ALL the information, whether it rubs people the wrong way or not is irrelevant especially when someone is missing. In most missing persons cases the area and financial standing of those directly involved is looked at. It would in my opinion be foolish not to look at it. A woman is missing and i think any and every stone should be turned over and looked at. Including the financial situation of this family and local community

He's filed for a separation since she went missing, so I imagine he's not looking for her.

No one has officially said that he's not looking for her, and as far as the separation, I would bet money that he's doing what his lawyer told him to do. There's no way he's actively NOT looking for the mother of his children. And the fact that this isn't a more widely known case makes me think that he & perhaps his children have given info to the LE that we are not privy to. It would seem like there's LOTS of info we are not privy to! What about credit card usage, there's got to be records of that?
Gail, where ARE you? Please come home!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties