TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm....wondering about Elizabeth Smart and that case this past year where a woman in Georgia (IIRC) went missing out of her trailer home......very rural area, nothing else taken....her husband was serving overseas.
Eventually, it was discovered that a 'close family friend' had raped and killed her after doing work around the house for the family.

Were there any workers recently at the home? Anyone who worked for/with the father at the tree business....someone who was recently around the house?

bbm

Yes - Lori Arrowood... :(

It's also possible that users of these sites, and maybe their friends/family, give away more info and tells regarding where/how they live and their living arrangements than they realize in their comments etc.

I'm not a fan of social networking sites. Seems like you're a sitting duck on those sites for any nutjob or disgruntled ex that develops an unhealthy interest in you.

Even without social networking sites, there's quite a bit of data about seemingly all of us on the internet.

Unfortunately, the same tools clever sleuths here use to investigate a case are also available to the bad guys.

Snipped for space

While I fully agree with you about private info being all too available to the public, in THIS instance ALL of the Bobo family have hidden information. They don't link each other as family members, and while you can search by last name and find connections, because they are all private, you can't read what they are doing, what they've been doing, or find out any personal info outside of their favorite books/music.
I think it has to be someone who knew the family personally...or Holly specifically. MOO

One thing that should be available to LE in any case where there's a potential for a missing person or victim's social networking/internet activity to have been a nexus to the abductor/criminal would be the IP logs for the user's facebook or other internet profile.

It's be fairly easy for an experienced/trained IT forensics investigator to identify suspicious IP addresses connected to a missing person's profile, esp with the ability to cross reference to known IP addresses of trusted friends and family and then have LE follow up on those suspicious IP addresses.

Unfortunately, it seems like these logs are only subpoenaed when it comes time for the trial to tie the accused to the victim--i.e., too late.

Snipped for space

While I fully agree with you about private info being all too available to the public, in THIS instance ALL of the Bobo family have hidden information. They don't link each other as family members, and while you can search by last name and find connections, because they are all private, you can't read what they are doing, what they've been doing, or find out any personal info outside of their favorite books/music.

As much a general concern as applicable to this case, I'm not sure I trust these sites even with full privacy settings. I've heard of people mining data of all sorts from facebook (and posting it to dating sites, of all places) and of privacy leaks galore. Not saying that has anything to do with this case, but it's enough to keep me from providing them with my real name/address/cell phone number/etc etc.

Vaguely wondering if the Bobos were that paranoid in their social networking use for any reason, other than common sense? or perhaps simply courteous and not wanting to butt into each other's business.

I think it has to be someone who knew the family personally...or Holly specifically. MOO

I find it an interesting possible misstep that in what appears to have been an otherwise meticulously planned abduction (waited for the parents to leave for work, seemingly knew Holly's school schedule, somehow got away with Holly), they didn't account for the brother being at the house at that time.

Entirely possible a local overlooked that or just didn't care, but the case has the air of a planned event rather than a spur of the moment happening.

One thing that should be available to LE in any case where there's a potential for a missing person or victim's social networking/internet activity to have been a nexus to the abductor/criminal would be the IP logs for the user's facebook or other internet profile.

It's be fairly easy for an experienced/trained IT forensics investigator to identify suspicious IP addresses connected to a missing person's profile, esp with the ability to cross reference to known IP addresses of trusted friends and family and then have LE follow up on those suspicious IP addresses.

Unfortunately, it seems like these logs are only subpoenaed when it comes time for the trial to tie the accused to the victim--i.e., too late.

You know...that's a really great thought!

IF this person KNEW Holly personally, then you can bet that he was watching her online, perhaps sending her emails, texts, or just posting 'hi' on her fb page.
I wonder if LE has looked through her FB page to see if anyone stands out.

This really is strange if mother and brother could not stop this. I wouldn't care if they had a knife or a gun they'd take my daughter over my dead body.

There has to be more.

From the bits and pieces and comments I've read here and there, it's said the brother was in the shower when he heard her scream. He ran out to witness her being drug away. I'd imagine he needed at the very least, a pair of pants and shoes to chase after them.

You know...that's a really great thought!

IF this person KNEW Holly personally, then you can bet that he was watching her online, perhaps sending her emails, texts, or just posting 'hi' on her fb page.
I wonder if LE has looked through her FB page to see if anyone stands out.

Ah, I see what you're saying, I didn't think of that way.

But, yeah, if it is a local/someone she knew, entirely possible/likely he's a "trusted" friend on her social networking page and perhaps an examination of the logs would flag his IP as someone obsessively checking her page, all hours of the day and night.

GIven that these sites readily forward users' personal information to advertisers, seems like letting investigators take a look at the IP logs to identity suspicious activity by IP address and then subpoena the ISP to find out the identity of the user behind the IP address seems like a no-brainer.

Somehow I doubt Holly's concerned about her internet privacy being violated at this point.

Vaguely wondering if the Bobos were that paranoid in their social networking use for any reason, other than common sense? or perhaps simply courteous and not wanting to butt into each other's business.

Hmm....to clarify.....Facebook allows you to block the general public from viewing your site.
However, if you 'friend' the person, they have access to your entire site...including anything you post about your schedule. If this person were 'friends' on facebook with Holly, her brother, and her mother, they would have access to everything they said and did on Facebook.
If this person knew the family, it wouldn't be unlikely at all for him to have access to everyone's random thought and everyone's daily rantings. We also have to think about the fact that this is a very rural area where everyone knows everyone. I've lived that life before....and you could EASILY say someone's name to me and I would know where they lived, what they did, etc., even if we weren't close friends. That's just how it is in a small town.

My first inclination was an admirer/stalker that she was unaware of taking her to an underground bunker in the woods. Seems like dogs would pick that up though??
I don't understand why there are so many conflicting stories about the 911 call(s) though. Very confusing although I don't believe there is family involvement.
I am from AL and agree that camo is not unusual in rural areas around here. Guys/girls commonly wear camo to work so they can go to the woods after.

All MOO

Hmmm....wondering about Elizabeth Smart and that case this past year where a woman in Georgia (IIRC) went missing out of her trailer home......very rural area, nothing else taken....her husband was serving overseas.
Eventually, it was discovered that a 'close family friend' had raped and killed her after doing work around the house for the family.

Were there any workers recently at the home? Anyone who worked for/with the father at the tree business....someone who was recently around the house?

BBM
And wasn't the guy wearing a mask? That could mean was known by the family somehow.

Just looked at all those pictures...she is one beautiful girl. Not one bad photo of her in the bunch....just the same in every picture. So sad.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-504083_162-10007417-55.html?tag=page;next
CBS site with 50 plus photos of Holly.
A lot of the photos are of Holly and what appears to be a boyfriend. In several of the photos both are wearing camoflage clothing.

Interesting set of photos, trying to get a read on the bf from them.

In some, he appears too slight a person to match the description of Holly's abductor (picture 28).

In others, he looks like he could match that description, as the camo clothing fills out his frame (picture 26).

Probably nothing, picture 24 she's smiling, he has a more distant look. Same for pic 30 and a few others.

Where the heck did all these pictures come from? too many to go through.

Throwing this out there, prob. a long shot.............

I wonder if the abducter was an obsessed fan of Whitney Duncan and tracked down Holly, knowing they were related.
I hope LE is checking into any stalker mail, sent to Whitney...

Catching up on todays posts but this same thought crossed my mind as well.

Please everyone...let's not convict the family before we even know the real facts of the case. I live near this area and can tell you that with it being such a small town, they might not have "professional" press people who are used to giving the media what they want. Because this area is not used to this type of crime, LE is obviously not as slick as big cities. TBI has policies as well, so I am sure you can see why the stories are confusing. All it takes is for one person to exaggerate on one point or give out an incorrect fact, and it gets embellished from there.

This is an unthinkable crime just about any way you think about it. But, many of us are concerned about just one thing right now - finding Holly!

Early reports I read on the news said they found a knife and a cell phone near the woods or carport... I know I saw that on a early news report.. Im sure the blood came from the knife... probably her cell phone dropped as she was being taken... she was probably trying to call for help but they didn't say whos cell phone it was or anything futher about finding these two things

Welcome to WS Slynderella!

:welcome:

O/T
I've just confirmed that Holly is a distant relative of mine. I do not know her or her family, but it is extremely hard to see a Bobo on this board....especially one who is still missing and who's situation appears to be so dire.
Prayers for Holly and her family. Really hope she is somewhere safe and warm tonight, and that tomorrow brings us more answers.

Mom was just on the local news. They are talking about blood in the driveway. Also saying an hour passed Between her abduction and the 911 call. Brother thought it was the boyfriend in the woods but now they are saying it wasn't him.

Still catching up with todays posts. An hour later because the brother thought it was her boyfriend?
What was it about this boyfriend he thought the guy would pull a stunt like this?
If the neighbor heard he scream, then clearly the brother - being closer to his sisters proximity would have heard the scream. Why wouldn't the sound of the scream alert her brother this was no joke?

Hmmm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member