TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you and I'm thinking that's why the reward money is so high, so quickly. HS came forward to the media BUT.....I'm wondering if there are more cases like HS & HB that LE is aware of but those that may have managed to get away from this guy don't want to step forward or let it get out in the media. They were probably afraid anyway and now that HB has been abducted & HS went public.....they're probably even more afraid and don't want anyone to know who they are.

I could well be off base with that theory but if I'm not and LE suspects there is a serial offender involved I think at some point in the very near future they need to let the public know. This guy is obviously dangerous and IF HB & HS's cases are connected.....he's obviously not going to stop stalking women.

Do a google on high profile cases (Peterson, Anthony, etc). Awards are rarely paid. None in the Peterson case, and only 10K in the Anthony case. This 80K is to bring tips in -- but IMHO will never be paid out. I have yet to see a case where an entire reward was paid out. If I'm incorrect, please correct me.

The reward aside, I sure hope they find this creep-a-zoid!

Mel

For those saying the turn out for searching will be low on Sunday, i just read that they are going to hold Easter services at the fairgrounds for everyone on Sunday :) I thought that was nice :)

Oh I see. You guys are making the distinction between the phone being turned off but with a good battery versus a drained battery or no battery.

Since her battery would probably last a day or two, he must have removed the battery if it didn't ping after that. Or did they find the phone as was rumored earlier on? Maybe that ping allowed LE to locate the phone if he just dumped it.

Here is the tricky thing about drained batteries. At some point the low battery will turn off the phone. There is enough charge left to continue to ping. LE has in the past had a cell phone company remotely turn on the phone to cause a ping. So yeah, if pinging completely stops, IMO, the phone is destroyed or the battery has been removed.

mick, finally they are checking out your area of interest tomorrow:

http://twitter.com/#!/willnunley

I saw that upthread, NurseBeeMe...I hope they go off on the dirt roads and turn things upside down all out there in the places that look kind of like a lightening bolt if you tune into just the right height on the google maps. Zoom on down and look around. Lots of place resemble...look like they'd be pretty private out there.

I noticed there's a "5 Forks River Road" in Waverly, Tennessee too.

There's really a lot of 'looks a lot like' places on those lightening bolt looking roads too. I haven't looked to see how close Waverly is to where Holly disappeared from though.

FWIW, cell phones ping continuously. There does not need to have a call or text happen for the phone to ping. I haven't looked at a cell tower map for the area, but cell tower coverage can be triangulated and phones have at times been pinpointed within a couple of hundred feet. If the phone has GPS on it, they can tell within ten feet where the phone is. Mine shows me in the front yard instead of my house. Also a phone will ping and gps works as long as a working battery is in the phone, even when the phone is turned off.

A regular unmodded phone only pings when it is on, there is no use for a phone that is off to ping since it's not sending or receiving calls or messages. Some people here have brought out the case where wiretaps were secretly made on some mobsters phones but that requires the phones to be hacked first.
Maybe some phones don't actually turn off but are in standby mode in that case it may still ping but I'm talking about the most basic type of cellphones where if you turn it off the power it is completely shut down.

From what I understand, pings allow a range of location to be known.
I hear what you're saying but it was only shortly after she was missing.
I'm thinking he took her phone then to turn it off.
At least LE would know what direction he took her to start and go from there.
Also, someone else posted that LE could possibly tell by the time of the ping if they were still on foot or hanging out in that spot - different scenarios.

Woe.be.gone,
Thanks for your explanation.
The perp definitely could have turned Holly's phone off and caused the ping.
I don't know what to think. The only thing I feel somewhat sure about is that Holly was taken by someone who knew her.

Every article I read seems to say something different.

I'd like to know exactly when the neighbor heard Holly scream and I'd like to know how Holly screamed. Did simply scream making a noice or did she scream help, or did she scream a name or what> kwim?

I just hope the abductor had a cell phone. If he doesn't know about pings, his should have pinging the same tower as Holly's. Its not a heavily populated area, so may they could isolate some other pings to see if there are any suspicious. jmo

Dynamic thinking! I wonder if that's possible? When I was first out of college I worked for a cell provider when they were building their network in our area (showing my age, I guess). I'm not sure we would have had that capability, but then again, technology has come a long way since then so who knows?

Hopefully - LE jumped onto getting cell phone info ASAP after Holly was reported missing.

A regular unmodded phone only pings when it is on, there is no use for a phone that is off to ping since it's not sending or receiving calls or messages. Some people here have brought out the case where wiretaps were secretly made on some mobsters phones but that requires the phones to be hacked first.
Maybe some phones don't actually turn off but are in standby mode in that case it may still ping but I'm talking about the most basic type of cellphones where if you turn it off the power it is completely shut down.

Can I ask what a regular unmodded phone is? Thanks!. Even with a phone turned off it still does alot that requires pinging. Voicemails and receiving texts, etc. The only way I know of to stop a ping is to remove the battery.

My opinion:

Here's my latest thought. IF IF IF LE did release the info about the phone pinging after the abduction, then LE knows she had her phone with her for a while at least and they know the perp knows it and LE is letting the perp know that they know she had the phone----LE is rattling his cage, playing mind games.

If this info did come from LE, then we will probably start seeing more little slips of info....

Would he be so careless as to grab the phone, throw it down, and leave fingerprints on it - that would be good.

Do a google on high profile cases (Peterson, Anthony, etc). Awards are rarely paid. None in the Peterson case, and only 10K in the Anthony case. This 80K is to bring tips in -- but IMHO will never be paid out. I have yet to see a case where an entire reward was paid out. If I'm incorrect, please correct me.

The reward aside, I sure hope they find this creep-a-zoid!

Mel
Good point! I don't think the reward matters too much really either because I think this guy is a major loner and not too many people are aware of him enough to notice if he's coming/going/missing/etc. I wouldn't be surprised, if they do catch him, to learn he lives in a very isolated area, alone, about mid-way between HB and HS. I'm speculating he's probably 35-40 y/o.

I'd like to know exactly when the neighbor heard Holly scream and I'd like to know how Holly screamed. Did simply scream making a noice or did she scream help, or did she scream a name or what> kwim?

I've been wondering the same thing, because someone posted on here (not confirmed that I know of) that the neighbor heard it and must have known it was Holly and called Holly's mom at the school, who called her brother, who ran outside and saw the blood. So how would she have known it was Holly and not another neighbor girl, or a wayward hunter, etc.??

Can I ask what a regular unmodded phone is? Thanks!. Even with a phone turned off it still does alot that requires pinging. Voicemails and receiving texts, etc. The only way I know of to stop a ping is to remove the battery.

If a phone still receives messages when it's off then it's not really off it's in standy mode. By unmodded I am thinking a phone that isn't jailbroken or the os modified in any way because there are ways to hack the os of a phone to make it operate in a non standard way.

To be honest, I don't think LE has done anything to make this perp exactly shake in his boots. He probably thinks, as I do, that LE is totally baffled. Why else would they be asking for 1500 searchers this weekend? They have already searched 10 days, finding a few bits of evidence. They are in a desperate mode to try to find her this weekend before they have change tactics. I don't believe that LE is bringing out these numbers of people simply to try to find her phone.

True but they need to find her body regardless. I hate saying that but it's true that a case is always stronger when there is a body. I hope in this case Holly will be found alive but ??????

What I would really like to know is more about this previous case in January only 45 minutes (or was it miles?) away. I guess there's not much else to find out, but I'd like to know more about the first victim's description of her suspect, but even more than that I want to know what he did, meaning exactly how he approached her.

The reason I mention this is because there's been some speculation that maybe the man who abducted Holly lured her into the woods with some medical story, which I really don't find likely at all, but I guess anything's possible. Of course not everyone believes these cases are related, and they very well may not be, but for now I believe they are.

From what I've heard, the suspect in the first incident grabbed the woman, but she never mentioned a weapon, she never mentioned his saying anything to her, etc. If it's the same man, I believe he would use a similar MO in Holly's case, although I guess perps have been known to change their MOs, especially if the first attempt didn't work out so well (although I don't see how introducing a weapon would stop someone from being startled and dropping something, as happened in the first case).

ETA: I wonder if they could make a composite sketch from the description of the first victim? I guess if they could they probably already would have when it happened in January (do they bother to do this if someone isn't murdered?), and by now she probably couldn't remember enough to produce a very reliable or helpful sketch.

Good point! I don't think the reward matters too much really either because I think this guy is a major loner and not too many people are aware of him enough to notice if he's coming/going/missing/etc. I wouldn't be surprised, if they do catch him, to learn he lives in a very isolated area, alone, about mid-way between HB and HS. I'm speculating he's probably 35-40 y/o.

We are on the same wave length. I think the dad was right when he said he thinks this person knew their routine, but I don't necessarily think that means it's someone who knew them well. Someone who knew them well would have seen mom and dad leave and know that CB was still there. If he could ID you, that's a pretty big risk to take in broad daylight.

I think this person went to a large public place...popular bar, Wal-Mart, mall, etc. and saw her there and followed her home and began stalking her. Or maybe he works at the hospital where her clinicals are. I even mapped hospitals and Wal-Marts and malls to see if both HS and HB might have gone to the same ones, and it's possible, but not that likely.

We had a case here a few years back. A fireman who was a rapist. He would see attractive women driving around in cars and get cop buddies to run plates for him (without knowing why he wanted them.) Then he would get their addresses and go to their houses and steal their mail. That was his signature, his one weird hang-up. He'd stalk them, learn their routines, and then at some point, rape them. What was terribly scary is that when they caught him, my mom's good friend, who has two pretty daughters the same age as me and my sister got a call from the police...he had some of their mail in his house.

Everyone knows about pings i thought that was a no brainer although i admit i am younger generation and all my friends and associates are tech savvy which is the norm for my local and age. I guess there's a chance some hillbilly I'n the woods doesn't know Let's hope not anwyays! Also there's several articles that discusses iPhone newly discovered hidden file that track were you go.
Lots of uproar about privacy issues and what it's doing there. Let's hope holly has an iPhone and than can use this invasion of privacy for a good cause !

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-apple-tracking-20110421,0,4880695.story

I don't think the man in the Jan. attack had time to do much-she was startled and either dropped the lamp or made a noise enough that her BF came out, I believe and he had already taken off.

I also do not believe that Holly's abductor concocted some story about someone being injured, for example, as I think she would have put down her stuff and I think it would have looked more clear to her brother that this was NOT a boyfriend she was walking with, if she was walking under her own free will. I don't see why she would have been walking close enough to him so that they have gone from "dragged" to "led" if he just asked her to come to look at something in the woods.

FWIW, cell phones ping continuously. There does not need to have a call or text happen for the phone to ping. I haven't looked at a cell tower map for the area, but cell tower coverage can be triangulated and phones have at times been pinpointed within a couple of hundred feet. If the phone has GPS on it, they can tell within ten feet where the phone is. Mine shows me in the front yard instead of my house. Also a phone will ping and gps works as long as a working battery is in the phone, even when the phone is turned off.

Its true that cell phones CAN ping periodically to give a range of location BUT....

It isn't likely that Holly's rural, relatively lower-middle class parents had the money or the desire to buy their daughter a top of the line cell phone with all of the bells and whistles. Most phones don't come standard with GPS....and most people don't see that as a necessity (at this point).

Also, If anyone here knows anything about the Brittanee Drexel case, you know that rural areas have very few cell towers and make for a MUCH more difficult search. In Brittanee's case, because there are only 3 nearby cell towers there is a LARGE amount of land where she 'could be'......and narrowing it down to a 20 mile area is a LOT of distance to cover for search parties.
Swan Johnson Rd, In Holly's case, is about as rural as it gets. I highly doubt that there are multiple cell towers in the area....and I honestly believe that--while there IS a ping to the local area--the ping can't in any way distinguish between Holly's yard and (hypothetically) a yard 5-10 miles from her home. If she had a GPS, I would be completely wrong.....but I think if she had a GPS Law Enforcement would already have the phone. IMHO.

What I would really like to know is more about this previous case in January only 45 minutes (or was it miles?) away. I guess there's not much else to find out, but I'd like to know more about the first victim's description of her suspect, but even more than that I want to know what he did, meaning exactly how he approached her.

The reason I mention this is because there's been some speculation that maybe the man who abducted Holly lured her into the woods with some medical story, which I really don't find likely at all, but I guess anything's possible. Of course not everyone believes these cases are related, and they very well may not be, but for now I believe they are.

From what I've heard, the suspect in the first incident grabbed the woman, but she never mentioned a weapon, she never mentioned his saying anything to her, etc. If it's the same man, I believe he would use a similar MO in Holly's case, although I guess perps have been known to change their MOs, especially if the first attempt didn't work out so well (although I don't see how introducing a weapon would stop someone from being startled and dropping something, as happened in the first case).

ETA: I wonder if they could make a composite sketch from the description of the first victim? I guess if they could they probably already would have when it happened in January (do they bother to do this if someone isn't murdered?), and by now she probably couldn't remember enough to produce a very reliable or helpful sketch.

I found this story in which she describes him as:

tall
skinny

grabbed her arm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...cal-woman-says-skinny-man-tried-grab-too.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties