TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OT - Please take a moment to say a prayer for Americans under the onslaught of super cell tornados tonight.

.... and that answers about Holly will come soon. THX

Again, I really think that the people who can and are dedicated to finding Holly are not being distracted.

That is not only LE.

In this case, the primary thought is that this is a personal and local crime.

I am not suggesting that publicity will hurt the case.

At the same time, I do not feel compelled to tell this hurting family that they are not doing enough. I think that part of your post is what prompted my response.
Perhaps I should leave the forum for a while.

BBM, I agree completely. As much as my initial response to the original post was to agree that they need to be out there raising awareness, I cannot imagine what they must be going through. The thought of my baby girl being out there somewhere, not knowing if she is alive, afraid, wondering why we haven't found her...it makes me sick. Every moment of every day, even saying her name would break my heart. So while I completely agree that from an outsider, it's easy to say that they should do more, I believe that they must be trying to just live through this nightmare and trust the ones that are trying to find Holly.

BBM, I agree completely. As much as my initial response to the original post was to agree that they need to be out there raising awareness, I cannot imagine what they must be going through. The thought of my baby girl being out there somewhere, not knowing if she is alive, afraid, wondering why we haven't found her...it makes me sick. Every moment of every day, even saying her name would break my heart. So while I completely agree that from an outsider, it's easy to say that they should do more, I believe that they must be trying to just live through this nightmare and trust the ones that are trying to find Holly.

I have lived through it myself....but only for 3 days and nights.....it was horrific and I guess everyone reacts in different ways. I spent every hour I could making phone calls and relating info to LE. They were unable to get access to my son's cell phone records...but I called AT&T and told them the situation. I explained I was a mom whose son was missing....and I cried and begged, which helped. They turned the records over to me and I was able to give these to LE so they could begin trying to locate our son's contacts.
Of course, we didn't get media attention in our case...and I'm sure that's an added stress. But I called numbers from my son's phone list and begged and pleaded with everyone of them, most all of them strangers to me, to help me find my son.
I can't imagine not reaching out in some way. It was the only thing that kept me alive. So, to me, it looks like someone or something is causing this family's silence....and I guess we have to respect that, even if we don't understand it.

It is hard for me to understand, when the media is there and willing, why the family would not want to speak about Holly; I guess I just listen to Marc Klaas too much, he says it is up to the family to get and use whatever media they can. Many of us here have seen cases go by the wayside, and missing people never found, with their families begging for attention of any kind.

FWIW: I found an early article from a weekly Linden, TN newspaper.Linden is 23 miles east of Darden and the town sent some deputies/investigators and a tracking bloodhound to help with the search. Whether they didn't get the "silence" memo or not- I found it interesting that they said:

"The investigation has produced several of Bobo’s personal items, including her cell phone, lunch box, and purse."

more at the link
http://www.buffaloriverreview.com/content.aspx?module=ContentItem&ID=206332&MemberID=1257

FWIW: I found an early article from a weekly Linden, TN newspaper.Linden is 23 miles east of Darden and the town sent some deputies/investigators and a tracking bloodhound to help with the search. Whether they didn't get the "silence" memo or not- I found it interesting that they said:

"The investigation has produced several of Bobo’s personal items, including her cell phone, lunch box, and purse."

more at the link
http://www.buffaloriverreview.com/content.aspx?module=ContentItem&ID=206332&MemberID=1257

Thanks for the link.

A couple of observations. The article is undated and I don't think they were quoting LE about the articles being found.

I would have to agree, but on the other hand they sent LE of their own on the search and they were named in the article. I wish they was a reporter on here willing to call and get an interview "on the record" from some of the LE searchers from Linden...

Let's just say for the sake of argument that Holly was abducted for sex trafficking. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case....but let's consider the possibility.

I watched a show about this a couple months ago...and really wish I could recall the name of it. I do know this subject was featured on AMW not long ago also. In one case, the young woman was approached about a job....and met a couple in a public restaurant to discuss the details with them. She immediately got a bad feeling about the couple and told them, "I'm chilly and left my sweater in the car....I'm going to go get it, I'll be right back." When she went outside, two men grabbed her and threw her into a car and sped away. They were working with the couple inside the restaurant in the sex trade business. She was eventually allowed to call home but only to tell them she had decided to leave home because she had found a great job...and was doing fine. She was allowed to call regularly, supervised, of course. Her parents felt something was wrong at first, but as time went by, they felt more comfortable about things because she continued to call them to tell them she was ok. She did finally get free of this horrible sex ring...but it was a miracle she did.

So let's say something like this is going on with Holly. We know she was taken...but what if she has called her family and said, "I'm ok...everything is fine," but they know that is not true. They are trying to keep in contact with her until they can find her...or whoever is holding her. The parents aren't talking because they want to keep this contact with her...and LE is not saying much because they know she is alive, and they simply need to locate her. If the family or LE talks too much publicly, maybe they are fearful that her abductors would kill her....so they are silent, while searching for Holly's location.

This story may sound ridiculous...but I'm running out of scenarios.

This scenario is just as likely as anything else at this point, judging from the info we have. The only thing I don't understand about there being some reason for the family's silence is the fact that they did not try to discourage their own pastor from either organizing or supporting that prayer walk to "raise awareness" the other day (can't remember the exact extent of his involvement). That's what I just can't reconcile. One would think that if keeping her name out there would somehow be harmful and wouldn't be in her best interest then those close to her family would know this, even if they don't know the reason.

You could certainly explain that distinction. It is hard to imagine a premeditated abduction that does not involve "acquired information," whether it involves someone known by the victim (a family member, friend or acquaintance who "acquires" knowledge from that relationship or a stranger who stalks the victim or a stranger who plans to abduct someone but who is simply looking for the right opportunity, having "acquired" the knowledge of how to pull off an abduction but not specific information about the victim.

In this case, I would vote for an abductor who knows the victim and had a plan. I also think it is interesting that the brother's first thought was that the man was her boyfriend, which would say something about how Holly and the abductor were interacting or looked together OR some aspect of body type, physical movement. The man might not hqve even reminded the brother of the current boyfriend; he might have unconsciously made some connection to a person from Holly's past.

my opinions only, no facts here:

Acquired information refers to data gathered that was not the direct consequence of natural familiarity with the victim. Non-acquired information is directly supplied by natural familiarity with the victim. The distinction is important.

Not so sure what to make of this unusual case. Certainly the most quiet case I can recall....nothing from the family or LE.

My initial thoughts were that this was a pre-planned abduction by a local that was obsessed with Holly....someone who may have been rebuffed by her or perhaps had just been more or less ignored by her. I figured the perp was a male between 18-30...someone cocky, someone privileged and protected, someone immature. I don't think the person had a totally clean record....I was thinking that the perp is someone who has had some petty boyish crimes in the past, but nothing too serious. I assumed he may have taken her to a hide-away place and kept her there for a while....but so much time has past now, I'm not sure about this. I assumed this individual would eventually "break" and brag to someone about the crime.....perhaps motivated by pride or fear at how large the crime had become.

Now, I am thinking this may not be the case....the family silence is most perplexing. Most perplexing, indeed.

I see some potential truths in your evaluation. Now you must ask yourself, "who does not break and brag about the crime?"

On the face of it, the report sounds sincere, but I wish that law enforcement officials were the ones reporting this kind of information, so we could know the details of this case without having to trace the sources. This is where an investigative reporter comes into play (read my earlier posts); they call this news agency and ask who their sources were.

Another family member does make some public comments, but not much

http:///viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979364507

And yeah its Gather but it seems to be a straight forward story.

This scenario is just as likely as anything else at this point, judging from the info we have. The only thing I don't understand about there being some reason for the family's silence is the fact that they did not try to discourage their own pastor from either organizing or supporting that prayer walk to "raise awareness" the other day (can't remember the exact extent of his involvement). That's what I just can't reconcile. One would think that if keeping her name out there would somehow be harmful and wouldn't be in her best interest then those close to her family would know this, even if they don't know the reason.
I thought this too. It doesn't make sense. If in fact everyone is being told to be quiet about it (which we can only guess at this point, but it seems pretty obvious), why all of a sudden does a walk happen to "raise" awareness" when the exact opposite has seemed to be the case? Just another completely odd thing to add to this case. :banghead:

more at the link
The article also says
Sheriff Hickerson urged any Perry County residents who have any information that may be of help in determining the circumstances of Bobo’s disappearance to call his office at 589-8803.
He said that you may think what you know is insignificant, but call it in nevertheless.
Examples of information might include personal, internet, or telephone contact with her within the last 30 days, either by friends, relatives, or businesses, of if you have seen Bobo in the last 30 days, who she was with, or what her activity was. If you had a conversation with her, what was the nature of the conversation?
I think that's the first time I've ever seen that in the press, from LE, asking people to actually do that. I know it's been suggested that that's what needs to be done, but I never saw it actually stated before this.

I see some potential truths in your evaluation. Now you must ask yourself, "who does not break and brag about the crime?"

First instinct says a family member.

ETA: Second instinct says a member of law enforcement.

My husband is a pastor so I can tell you from experience that it is difficult to stop a church congregation from doing something for member in distress, even if the family requests that nothing be done. If you try to stop it, you appear callous. I think many of the members might be clueless about why the family is being silent...and their love for the family dictates that a prayer walk is a good, demonstrative way to show their love and support. This is pretty common.
Still, the family says or does nothing concerning this prayer walk....they do not attend to make statements or to walk. The rule of silence appears to be limited to the family.....and LE, of course.

Respectviely snipped

Still, the family says or does nothing concerning this prayer walk....they do not attend to make statements or to walk. The rule of silence appears to be limited to the family.....and LE, of course.
Weren't there a few locals on here from the beginning, who then went away saying something to the effect of LE didn't want them (them as in locals) talking about the case anymore? I have no idea where to find those posts now though. :( But if that was truly the case, then silence isn't just limited to LE and family. And aside from the prayer walk (thanks for your wonderful take on that), it (the silence) has been pretty widespread. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay