TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me that in most missing persons cases, there is a 24 hour wait period before LE will look for adults, yet in this case they were there with-in minutes and still I feel like they have no leads.

Prayers go out to the friends and family!

Well, I think in this case it is because she was witnessed with someone and also blood was found. IMO

BeanE, you are a wealth of information, but I can't find anything on your site, but I'm not sure where to start, or anyone else, has there ever been any offcial confirmation that dogs followed her scent to the tree line but lost it there, or followed it into the woods and lost it at a road? I know I've seen mentions of it, but I wonder if anything was ever confirmed?

There's a search box in the right column you can use. Try to think of a single word that's uncommon that was used in the article or whatever, and search for that. In this case, I remembered that Furman used the word 'treeline' in his quote, so I searched for treeline. Searching for Furman would have brought it up as well.

Furman is the only one who has said that. Whereas earlier in the video he talked about having spoken to a dispatcher at TBI, and 'somebody' in the Sheriff's office, when he talked about the dogs/treeline, he only said he got it when he 'called Tennessee'.

I like Furman, and I think he's a pretty good investigator, but when information comes from only one source, and that source is secondhand, and a dispatcher or 'somebody' (a janitor? a secretary?) or completely unspecified, I have to rank it very low for credibility/reliability, and wait and see if more info about it comes out to support it.

Video – Frustration Mounts in Search for Holly Bobo

Fox News Geraldo at Large – Apr 25, 2011- 10:40am

Case Signal Transcriptions:

- Mark Furman @ 7:14: “I called Tennessee Bureau of Investigation. I actually talked to a dispatcher. I talked to somebody in the Sheriff’s department.”

- Mark Furman @ 8:39: “When I called Tennessee, I also found out that the dogs did not scent anything in that treeline where they supposedly entered.”

http://casesignal.wordpress.com/201...s-articles-videos-dated-monday-april-25-2011/

I saw something interesting here on Tampa TV today... We had a young man get killed outside a movie theater in Brandon a day or so back. Seems like a nice adopted kid... no criminal history, loving family and twin sisters also adopted. Anyway they find this guy dead in his car in a ditch behind the theater.

Today the whole family along with LE made a long, very public, very personal plea on TV for anyone to come forward with information about the killing. Each family member; the mother, father, sisters, all spoke one at a time and as a family in making this request. Its all over the news here.

Their message really struck me because of how genuine and heart felt it was and that even though I have no direct interest in that case it made me stop and think... It also made me think about Holly's case and the astounding silence from everyone involved.

"The family won’t talk about the case, but TBI spokeswoman Kristin Helm said investigators have gotten this account from interviews with relatives:"

This is a very interesting statement..
What are they hiding?
There was no guy in camo and the story was bogus?
She was not led into the woods?
All the clues were scattered around after the fact?

I thought this from the very beginning. JMO

I don't think this statement is strange at all. The writer says, first, "The family won't talk about the case." That almost certainly means "with reporters" or "the public." BUT--we learn from a TBI spokeswoman that "this account" is what "investigators" (clearly from TBI) have gotten "from interviews with relatives." Now, they aren't interviewing the second cousin twice removed from Maine. It's not a well-written sentence, but the meaning is clear and just affirms what we already know: the family is not talking to reporters, but LE through a spokesperson, says this account is what they know from talking to the family.

The family does not have to be "hiding" anything, nor is the silence from the family or LE "astounding." The family members have the right to say nothing if they feel their public comments would jeopardize either Holly, if still alive, or the case. Just because other families in other cases have been outspoken doesn't mean the Bobos should be doing the same or that they are somehow to be suspected because they are not talking to the media. No doubt LE has done a thorough search of the home, family vehicles, etc. and if anything had been amiss, the case would not be in the place it's in today. This case seems quite straightforward to me: an abduction done with breathtaking indifference, almost certainly by a local or locals who then dispersed items in an attempt to take LE in a different direction, perhaps quite literally. The silence may be an attempt on everyone's part to make sure that nothing essential to the case leaks.

Here's something to think about: the purpose of publicity is to keep an abductee's face in the public, so that the person can be recognized and rescued. This is particularly important for abducted children (for the purposes of this argument, dependents under 18 and still in school) who can be rather easily transported and slotted into a new life elsewhere, particularly in the age of online schooling and "home schooling." People kidnap children and teenagers, sometimes to keep them. In the case of a missing adult, unless there is reason to suspect that there is a kidnapper on the run with the victim, what does publicity do? The only way to "keep" an adult is to keep him or her hidden; if the person has already been murdered, no amount of publicity will help the case. So maybe in the 24-hour media-cycle, Nancy Grace-driven world, LE advises some families to keep a low profile on the missing adult, once the initial search period passes. In neither case will talking to the media help the cause.

ETA: And it is clear that LE would be interviewing the immediate family, relatives, neighbors, and others not just about the events reported by Holly's brother, but about ANY aspect of her life (family, friends, school) that could shed light on the abduction. Just as in any other case.

One more thought--thinking also that a case like Jennifer Kesse's--in which there is an actual video of the suspect who parked her car after her abduction--is a good example of an adult missing case in which publicity is helpful, in the hope that someone will recognize and report on the suspect. Another might be the Ray Gricar case, in which a PA district attorney vanished on a day off, leaving behind his car and a laptop dumped in the river. If he walked out of his life, he might at some point be recognized and "found."

Re: posts of the opine that cases such as/like Holly Bobo's case do not and would not benefit from on going or continued media coverage..

It is very understandable that there are many who are not comfortable with the very strange/odd silence.. As well as the little info that via the trickle down method of family to TBI and then reported to us is extremely inconsistent and contradicting..

While one may say it's perfectly normal for this silence that is deafening and even go a step further and state that actually there is no reason for, nor good that would even come from continued coverage and searching..

The family however silent they may be..for whatever reason that may be obviously do not agree, nor is it their wish..at least at this particular time of this particular day according to the family appointed spokesperson this is what was the family's wish(quoted below in FXSTS's post)..followed by the family spokeperson's quote is FXSTS's opinions/thoughts about this particular statement that some did feel anger at.. The old.." Have your cake and eat it too " ( I personally don't like that cliche when we are speaking about something so dire in nature as a beautiful 20 yr old GIRL that most realize is most likely already deceased).. But the phrase/cliche's meaning I do understand and find fitting..

[following post is respectfully snipped by me]
{Originally posted by FXSTS}
"Family members hope people won't give up looking for Holly. About a month ago the Decatur County Fairgrounds had 1,500 volunteers or more everyday to help with the search but now it's empty, just a sign asking everyone to pray for Holly Bobo's return.

"People will have a tendency to go on with their regular lives and that's understandable at some point but also we still have a missing child in our community," said Bromley."

IMHO, this statement need not be directed to the public at all. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Somebody out there could have some useful information, but you can't realistically expect help from the public that has been completely shut out with a contradicting timeline and no information as to what might help find this girl. LE has chosen an investigative method that
does not include the public which is their prerogative, so don't whine about "lack of interest".
{end snipped post}

I wholeheartedly understand the questions many have and the frustration.. No matter how it's sliced.. It's all the same.. It is different in multiple ways and with it being different on multiple fronts it concerns many that are praying each and every day that this young girl be found.. Brought home regardless whether to start the long road to heal or more likely to be laid to rest with the dignity and respect she deserves and that her loved ones see fitting..

My personal opinion is that the media attention, Holly's case being kept in the news, kept in the forefront, and the pressure kept steady so that whomever is responsible for what has happened to this young woman understands fully and not for a moment forget that her case, her name , and her plight will remain hot and heavily pressured to bring her home and bring those involved to swift and firm judgement and justice.. I think the perp(s) need not forget that or doubt it for a second and I think that keeping the pressure on.. Keeping it at a boiling point with no hesitation or slowing down.. Keep the train barreling ahead at full force..

All of those IMO COULD BE OF NO HARM and actual would keep the perp uneasy, very unassured, and yes quite likely even to a breaking point..

We are now moving into 2 months since Holly's "disappearance" and we have this far seen the lay low, no pressure of media and the public, and allow the perp(s) to get comfortable and feel as tho no one is onto them.. Therefor thru this method/tactic hoping it will yield the end result of perp(s) so comfortable he will screw up and or actually lead them exactly to Holly.. It isn't happening IMO.. 2 months in and this "different" method/tactic is not proving to produce the desired outcome..

I pray if things are truly are how many of us fear that they are(I.e. Still at square one, basically)that the case is worked from all angles.. One method not working.. You try another method/tactic..

Isn't the very definition of crazy to continue to do the same thing over and over and believing that it will have a different outcome.. Repeating same behavior even though history has proven it results in a particular outcome.. Tho one continues to repeat time and time again.. Each time believing the outcome will yield the desired affect rather than what history has proven it yields.. In this case the desired affect would be to find Holly and bring those involved in her "disappearance" to justice..

Posting via mobile so please excuse errors as there is not the same amount of control as I'd have posting from my laptop! Thanks! :)

Yes, capri that is Miss Holly Bobo.. Seeming to be a carefree college girl singing "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus.. They look as tho they're having a blast.. And it made me both happy and sad.. Sad for the obvioys reasons of course but happy to see this girl full of life, not afraid to have a good time, and seemed to be as happy and as carefree as girl her age deserves to be.. So no matter what the outcome i know those who knew and love Holly Bobo have an entire treasure trove of happy memories.. And this video is just a tiny glimpse into a lifetime full of them that her loved ones have.. No one can ever take that Away..

Posting via mobile so please excuse errors as there is not the same amount of control as I'd have posting from my laptop! Thanks! :)

It amazes me that in most missing persons cases, there is a 24 hour wait period before LE will look for adults, yet in this case they were there with-in minutes and still I feel like they have no leads.

Prayers go out to the friends and family!

Not that this matters much, but it turns out that that 24-hour rule actually isn't real. I have no idea where we all got this from, but I had to report my husband missing less than a year ago (we live in a scary area, he left on foot, cell went dead, bus route ended for the night, eventually made it home), and I waited a while to even call because I believed this 24-hour rule, but I ended up just calling for information, and they told me I had been misinformed and that a missing persons report on an adult can be filed at any time. I went down to the station and filed one about 6 hours after I last heard from him. I also heard someone - I don't remember if it was Mike Brooks or who it was - say on HLN the other day that the 24-hour rule either no longer applies or never did. Maybe it does in some areas, or maybe it did everywhere and was recently lifted, because for some reason almost everyone I know (myself included, until that incident), believed it to be the case.

Now, one thing they did tell me was that, since at this point it was about 3 AM on a Sunday morning (or Saturday night, depending on how you look at it), a detective wouldn't be assigned to the case until Monday. So, although I could file the report and they printed posters for me, they weren't going to start investigating until Monday, so there was still that. I'm not sure if it's because there has to be some waiting period or because it was a weekend. I would sure hope that if they had any reason to believe something serious happened they would have someone available on a weekend, but don't get me started on that. I'm sure on a weekday they wouldn't wait two daysto get started, but you are right, that in some cases they act more immediately than others, so whether or not the 24-hour rule applies, this still could be a sign of something. I guess I've always just assumed it's because there was a witness. I was furious with their response to me when my husband was missing in the middle of the night on foot in a scary area of Houston where things happen ALL the time, but I guess if someone doesn't actually see anything happen they don't begin searching for people on the weekends (insert frustrated head against brick wall that I don't know how to use).

This case has some similarities to 2 different types of cases. It is hard to know which
type of case it actually is.

I wonder if she had recently become engaged or had spoken of planning to move away soon.
This could have triggered such an attack or abduction by someone she
was acquainted with, perhaps someone working where she was a nursing student.

I also wonder if there is a young man living in the general area whose dad is a cop
or other influential good person but perhaps the son is very 'off''.
Maybe the son was breaking into garages or just peeping in windows
or other such thing and along came Miss Bobo. . . .

Why do I think it a son rather than an older type?
Because the brother thought he was Miss Bobo's boyfriend.
I think possibly he must not have looked too large or too old in shape or walking gait
or the brother might have more easily recognized him as a stranger.
He must have been roughly similar in size and shape to the boyfriend to fool the brother's
eysight when the brother must have seen the boyfriend many times
before.

A covering adult might explain why son was marked up a bit or was missing the next day.

Again I remind everyone these are only my 'wonderings' and guesses and
suppositions and should not be taken as facts & should not be used to
start rumors.

Because the brother thought he was Miss Bobo's boyfriend.
I think possibly he must not have looked too large or too old in shape or walking gait
or the brother might have more easily recognized him as a stranger.
He must have been roughly similar in size and shape to the boyfriend to fool the brother's
eysight when the brother must have seen the boyfriend many times
before.

The odd thing now with the "new" description of events (which match more clearly in some ways with the very first reports) is that the brother did NOT think it was the b/f and he immediately went outside, saw the blood, went to the woods and didnt see Holly, called 911. No mention of thinking it was the b/f and then going outside some time later.

If you recall the initial reports said that Clint saw his sister being abducted and were very clear about that. Then later things were slowed down and no he didnt really see "that" but saw her being walked or led and maybe it was her boyfriend so maybe he didnt get worried then. etc.

Not that this matters much, but it turns out that that 24-hour rule actually isn't real. I have no idea where we all got this from, but I had to report my husband missing less than a year ago (we live in a scary area, he left on foot, cell went dead, bus route ended for the night, eventually made it home), and I waited a while to even call because I believed this 24-hour rule, but I ended up just calling for information, and they told me I had been misinformed and that a missing persons report on an adult can be filed at any time. I went down to the station and filed one about 6 hours after I last heard from him. I also heard someone - I don't remember if it was Mike Brooks or who it was - say on HLN the other day that the 24-hour rule either no longer applies or never did. Maybe it does in some areas, or maybe it did everywhere and was recently lifted, because for some reason almost everyone I know (myself included, until that incident), believed it to be the case.

Now, one thing they did tell me was that, since at this point it was about 3 AM on a Sunday morning (or Saturday night, depending on how you look at it), a detective wouldn't be assigned to the case until Monday. So, although I could file the report and they printed posters for me, they weren't going to start investigating until Monday, so there was still that. I'm not sure if it's because there has to be some waiting period or because it was a weekend. I would sure hope that if they had any reason to believe something serious happened they would have someone available on a weekend, but don't get me started on that. I'm sure on a weekday they wouldn't wait two daysto get started, but you are right, that in some cases they act more immediately than others, so whether or not the 24-hour rule applies, this still could be a sign of something. I guess I've always just assumed it's because there was a witness. I was furious with their response to me when my husband was missing in the middle of the night on foot in a scary area of Houston where things happen ALL the time, but I guess if someone doesn't actually see anything happen they don't begin searching for people on the weekends (insert frustrated head against brick wall that I don't know how to use).

If an adult goes missing, LE always considers the circumstances surrounding the initial report. That 24-hour rule doesn't apply in some cases. In this particular one, there is an eyewitness... she was seen being led into the woods by her brother, so they are going to consider it a possible abduction.

One thing they can do immediately, even if it's an adult who just doesn't come home, and specifically if the person might have health or mental issues... they can put out a BOLO with a description of the person, and the tag number and description of the vehicle, which means all patrol officers will be on the lookout for them. Sometimes they get results very quickly, sometimes not.

Maybe so but i also think the FBI will keep her on that list till they can talk to her in person and see if she went on her own free will or was forced.

In a phone call she can say she went on her own but can be something totally diff but i do think she knows the man that she went with. JMO

Just a thought here- but sometimes people think they know someone...but that person might not be who they thought.

Since the dog barked, I tend to think it was a stranger, but different dogs behave differently of course.

No new news on her whereabouts? So sad, I come into this thread hoping to read an update and nothing.

I realize the story of the abduction has been changed somewhat over time.
I understand how the 'dragged away' needed to be clarified to 'led away'.

I have not, however, heard that there was any similar clarification needed about
the brother thinking in the first moments that it might have been the boyfriend.
(I wonder if that aspect of the description of events
was left out because people were wildly speculating about the boyfriend being
involved.)
I would like to hear from the family releasing a statement or similar trustworthy
source that this was indeed another one of those needed clarifications of the
description of events.
(Of course not everything I would like to see actually happens.)

The news agancies got it wrong the first time with the 'dragged away' thing but
that doesn't mean they could not get something wrong again in the later releases.

I have not yet seen a description of the abductor which included probable
age range so I began to try to build my own idea of the age range based
on the description of the event itself.

When I said in the earlier post that there were 2 types of cases that
seemed to match parts of this event description I may have been a bit premature.
I have since thought of another type of case which also might fit but it would
require this to have been a planned abduction & probably would
have involved another female in the instigation and perhaps even parts
of the execution phase) of the crime.

Please excuse me if this has been asked and answered. Have you guys discussed if a stun gun was used? That has been nagging at me.

Please excuse me if this has been asked and answered. Have you guys discussed if a stun gun was used? That has been nagging at me.

Don't think its been mentioned.....would that cause bleeding?

Don't think its been mentioned.....would that cause bleeding?

I'm not sure, but I will look it up. At this point we don't know who's blood it is or do we? All's we know are "flecks" of blood correct?

Plus, I want to add that the stun it self may not cause bleeding but if the stun caused Holly or the perp a trauma of sorts it may.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
couchsluether