TN - Joann, 31, & Adrienne Bain, 14, Whiteville, 27 April 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just jumped on this case, but I'm a little confused. How many people are missing? The mom and her daugthers + Mayes family?

Per above atricle:

"Mayes is a family friend who was staying there that night to help the family pack and drive a U-Haul to Arizona the next day with Gary because the family was planning on moving there within the month," Helm said. "Gary was asleep at the home that night and woke to find them gone in the morning and the car gone. Mayes was gone too."

my question or concen on the above quote:
they were to move within the month, uhaul ready to go that morning? How many trips were they to travel across county until all belongings were moved? It makes more sence financially to hire a moving company. Several trips in a uhaul would add up quickly financially if it were more than a few trips.
( I guess my statement isnt THAT revelant but leads to my next quote and question) were the kids to finish the school year at current school?
I wonder if family members have explained that to LE.. what was the exact plan on moving.. how many trips.. why did Mayes pick this trip if they were to come back... unless somthing went terribly wrong (caught molesting the girls)

Again per above article
very odd to me:

"Gary Bain woke up after the kids typically went to school so he didn't expect to see them, Helm said. But then he tried calling his wife on her cell phone during the day and couldn't reach her"

My concern is
If they were not to travel to Arizona to move belongings.. I wonder if JB intented to drive that uhaul with husband.. I odnt see a 60yr old man driving across county alone or any age..I would have someone with me to share driving. With that being said, was there more than one call made to JB to question when they are leaving and make final plans for the drive, and inquire. What time were they planning on driving.. after school?

I wonder if GB called Mayes also to ask if they were with him being his car was gone also? Logic says if car missing and Mayes missing I would be calling his phone also to ask if knew where wife was?

I would also like to know the bodies that were found, were they in sleep clothes..which would indicate woke up in middle of night... or if in day clothes did he leave with them, or perhaps lure them to a breakfast or somewhere to carry out a plan?

I really want to know what clothing the bodies were wearing.. will give alot of insite as to possibly getting a time frame correct.

just questions that may not give clues, but somthing if I were LE that I most certainly would be investigating.. which i am sure they are.

Now i read they had moved already thats why the FB says they live in Arizona
they had come back to get some things

And 60 is not OLD
At 60 you can still drive!

60 is not ancient he is not an old man!

He can make the drive easily he maybe needed help because he had more than one vehicle!

This is probably not going to be a very popular post, but just playing devils advocate here...does anyone think there is ANY chance that AM would not harm these children?

ETA: Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

And 60 is not OLD

He can make the drive easily he maybe needed help because he had more than one vehicle!

I think he may have needed help because evidently JB and the kids were staying behind. I think GB would need help unloading the U haul and driving if they were on a time limit, if GB worked they may have well been trying to do this all in a weekend. Who knows....IMHO

I sure hope they release who the dead are today.

This is probably not going to be a very popular post, but just playing devils advocate here...does anyone think there is ANY chance that AM would not harm these children?

ETA: Probably just wishful thinking on my part.

I am hoping he would not harm the youngest. I believe the rest would be in danger. This is solely my opinion. However if cornered with the youngest, he may take her with him...That is my fear right now. I am hoping I am wrong, but I think good chance the others are deceased.

I think he may have needed help because evidently JB and the kids were staying behind. I think GB would need help unloading the U haul and driving if they were on a time limit, if GB worked they may have well been trying to do this all in a weekend. Who knows....IMHO

I sure hope they release who the dead are today.

I hope so too its such a sad case!

But i think JB and daughters were headed back also ....They only came back to pack their stuff.
I was thinking JB and kids were flying and hubby and scummy were driving!

JMO

But i think JB and daughters were headed back also ....They only came back to pack their stuff.

JMO

But in the article it said that GB became concerned when the kids didn't get off the bus. Kind of strange for the girls to move to AZ so close to the end of the school year (though possible). I think that GB was taking a load of their stuff to AZ, and JB and girls were going to stay behind at least until the girls were done with school (beginning of June, most likely?). JMO though.

And 60 is not OLD

Not that he is not too old to drive, but even a younger person would need some help with alternate driving. I know 60 isnt old and is capable of driving across counrty. I am in my 40's and compared to when I was even 35, my tolorance for exhaustion, sleep, vision is not what it was.. I would just feel more comfortable that anyone driving across county would have someone with them.. things happen on the road.. but yes 60 is NOT ancient, but it would be old enough for me to be concerned about my mom or dad driving that far.. JMO.

My mom is around that age but very timid on the road, due to most drivers that age were taught to drive careful and so many crazt drivers out there, I would be scared she couldnt handle it alone.. just a thought.

Earlier it was reported that they had already moved but had come back for family matters due to a death.

Now it's being reported that they had the u haul ready to go?

Is it possible that they already had made one trip and the girls hadn't been taken out of school yet? Perhaps they had been left in the care of AM while they were getting the home in Arizona ready?

As usual, so much confusing reporting.

They were moving within the month. The girls were obviously still in school in TN if GB waited for them to get home from school. GB would need help loading the uhaul and unloading it when it got to AZ.

ETA: I don't know how this fits with the return due to a death in the family.

And 60 is not OLD

LOL....I would agree....60 year olds drive long haul trucks across the country everyday, 60 year olds drive tour buses and SCHOOL buses, 60 year olds drive MOVING VAN company trucks across the country, and (gasp) airline pilots retirement age is 65!!

The moving was almost finished as some media articles have stated, I would assume the girls were keeping just a few things they needed to keep attending school until the move was completed.

jmo

JMO

Just my opinion, but if i took my kids out of state, back to a former residence, to pack up and immediately head back to our new residence, they would have no reason or possibility to be in school in (tenn), so I think they were back to tidy up affairs from a close friend or family member passing away, and perhaps due to the duration of the stay they were re enrolled into Tenn. school. Hence why they were noticed missing by GB when they did not get off the school bus. I also think that possibly JB was headed to take them to school when the actual crime may have started...IMHO

But in the article it said that GB became concerned when the kids didn't get off the bus. Kind of strange for the girls to move to AZ so close to the end of the school year (though possible). I think that GB was taking a load of their stuff to AZ, and JB and girls were going to stay behind at least until the girls were done with school (beginning of June, most likely?). JMO though.

I'm extremely confused by school issue and how it relates to the events that morning. Some sources say mom and girls were already living in AZ and had recently returned due to a death and to complete some personal business (a visit). Other sources state that the father usually woke after the girls had left for school. I think it's reasonable to assume that they wouldnt go to school for a few months in Arizona and then return for a funeral and go to school for a bit. So where was the girl's permanent residence and where were they currently enrolled in school?

I am doing some digging around, it appears that AM has ties to Whiteville other than just JB and GB.

http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Adam+Mayes&sns3=t19#Tennessee:13189384841
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Mary+Mayes&sns3=t19#Memphis+(TN):15580854041
http://www.spokeo.com/search?q=Johnny+Mayes&sns3=t19#Memphis+(TN):14695678741

Mods if this is not allowed I apologize, I am not sleuthing family, just establishing his ties to the town. If I have done anything against TOS, I apologize in advance and feel free to delete...Thank you.

I'm extremely confused by school issue and how it relates to the events that morning. Some sources say mom and girls were already living in AZ and had recently returned due to a death and to complete some personal business (a visit). Other sources state that the father usually woke after the girls had left for school. I think it's reasonable to assume that they wouldnt go to school for a few months in Arizona and then return for a funeral and go to school for a bit. So where was the girl's permanent residence and where were they currently enrolled in school?

I know, SO confusing, I have the same questions. Most people wouldn't be switching the children back and forth with schools that way. But like you said, it was reported JB was back in TN due to a death in the family. I think there is, yet again, some bad reporting going on. :(

Okay... there is one thing I'm still not understanding here.

So... I had come to the very logical conclusion that these three girls shared a Dad, because they all have one last name.
I figured that he had adopted the two older because of the name and because he had been around for 11+ years of their 12 and 14 years.

The biological father of the older 2 did not have their picture on his facebook page until they went missing.

There was a "family picture" of his family from 2012, with no mention of Alexandria and Adrienne... just his 3 young girls.

The girls facebooks do not mention him, or have him or his family as a friend... just the current husband who's last name they have.
So I saw no indication there was another father in the picture.

I don't understand why there was no visible connection before... but now it is all over the place.
Am I missing something? I feel like I am missing a huge part of the puzzle here. :waitasec:

Not sure what doesn't make sense to you.

It sounds to me like GB legally adopted the two older girls (shared last name).

While some families do open adoption with lots of interaction, etc, some families just don't. For various reasons, they feel a complete break better suits their situation (and I would never question such a decision).

If their biological father had given up his parental rights and wasn't really in their lives, that doesn't mean he didn't have an emotional connection to them.

Think of all the women who gave up babies in closed adoptions who still want to know what happened to those babies and go to some lengths to try to be available if the adopted offspring wants to find them.

He may not have been in their lives but it doesn't mean he didn't still love them from a distance.

Well it did not say how long they had lived there but they were living there is seems and came back i see for a family funeral as i understand it they were not living there.
And if GB was concerned when they didnt get off the bus where did he think his wife was all day?

Its confusing i know but i do think JB and the girls had moved
but then again..

JMO

Just my opinion, but if i took my kids out of state, back to a former residence, to pack up and immediately head back to our new residence, they would have no reason or possibility to be in school in (tenn), so I think they were back to tidy up affairs from a close friend or family member passing away, and perhaps due to the duration of the stay they were re enrolled into Tenn. school. Hence why they were noticed missing by GB when they did not get off the school bus. I also think that possibly JB was headed to take them to school when the actual crime may have started...IMHO

OH i know but the articlle i saw her friends said it was good to see her again she is such a nice easy going person she had come back to take care of things

all their FB pges says livinging in Arizona!

I do think they had moved already

what the heck is going on!

I knew I read it somewhere, it was making me nuts

Pg 9 #215

HARDEMAN COUNTY, TENN. -- A family friend says a Tennessee woman and her three children who have gone missing had recently moved to Arizona.

Linda Kirkland is a cook at the Country Cafe in Whiteville, Tenn. Kirkland said Sunday that Jo Ann Bain and her three daughters had recently moved to Arizona because the two youngest girls had asthma.

Kirkland says the family had recently returned to Tennessee to take care of some business after a death in the family.
---
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

They've changed the content on the article, but I had to find it

the link now is

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MISSING_SISTERS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Well it did not say how long they had lived there but they were living there is seems and came back i see for a family funeral as i understand it they were not living there.
And if GB was concerned when they didnt get off the bus where did he think his wife was all day?
Its confusing i know but i do think JB and the girls had moved
but then again..

JMO

BBM There is some part of the story that is missing here, for sure. It was stated that AM was staying overnight to help load up and drive the Uhaul with GB to Arizona. Now, to me that sounds like "Ok, we have to get up early, get this thing loaded and take off, so how about you just stay overnight?" Makes sense. BUT, then it says that when GB woke up, the girls, his wife and AM were gone. Well, didn't he think that was strange AT THAT TIME? AM stayed overnight to specifically help him with the Uhaul, but then was gone when GB woke up? Where did he think AM went? Maybe AM was unreliable, so GB wasn't suprised that he wasn't there to help?? I don't know. This is NOT a disparagement of GB. I feel horrible for that poor man. I guess we just don't have enough information to say what went on here. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran
Back