Still Missing TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *arrests* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[URL='https://twitter.com/marissa_sulek']Marissa Sulek[URL='https://twitter.com/marissa_sulek']@marissa_sulek[/URL][/URL]

Replying to
@marissa_sulek
UPDATE: jury has been dismissed for the day. Now, attorneys discuss whether Joseph Daniels’ confessions will be allowed in trial. This is a huge piece of evidence that has been discussed many times in motions hearings. Not sure if judge will make decision on this today.

[URL='https://twitter.com/marissa_sulek']Marissa Sulek[URL='https://twitter.com/marissa_sulek']@marissa_sulek[/URL][/URL]

To clarify: the state needs to provide enough corroboration for the judge to allow the confession in trial.

The first witness to testify was Jeff Smithson, who lives across the street from the Daniels’ residence. After that, the prosecution called Joe Clyde's older half-brother, Alex Nolan, who was 8 at the time.

He was sharing a bed with Joe Clyde the night he disappeared and claimed he witnessed a lot of what happened that evening.

The defense first requested an out-of-jury hearing to determine if the boy should be able to testify. However, Judge David Wolfe ruled the boy is competent to testify, and the jury was brought back into the courtroom.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/day-4-of-joseph-daniels-trial-testimony-to-resume-monday

The first witness to testify was Jeff Smithson, who lives across the street from the Daniels’ residence. After that, the prosecution called Joe Clyde's older half-brother, Alex Nolan, who was 8 at the time.

He was sharing a bed with Joe Clyde the night he disappeared and claimed he witnessed a lot of what happened that evening.

The defense first requested an out-of-jury hearing to determine if the boy should be able to testify. However, Judge David Wolfe ruled the boy is competent to testify, and the jury was brought back into the courtroom.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/day-4-of-joseph-daniels-trial-testimony-to-resume-monday
@Jewels53 thanks so much for posting! Even though the thread is on my watch list I hadn't received any notifications in a while. I'm so glad to read your updates!! *advertiser censored*

Alex testified that he heard a loud thump, but hesitated to go out of the bedroom “to let things cool down.” He walked out of the bedroom and said he saw Joe Clyde lying in the floor. Alex said he then saw Joseph carry Joe Clyde out the back door into the yard.

Alex testified that he watched as Joseph walked down their driveway with Joe Clyde in his arms and then turned right down Garner Creek Road. Alex said he eventually followed them up the driveway to watch before going back inside.

He said Joseph spotted him watching and threatened him.

"He threatened that he would kill me if I didn’t help," said Alex.

"And did you help him," asked Crouch. "Yes," said Alex.

Alex then explained that he remembers opening a car door for Joseph but doesn't remember what vehicle.

The next morning, Alex said the family told him his brother ran away.

When asked, Alex testified that he never saw Joe Clyde moving the coffee table on purpose -- only accidentally while playing. He also said he never saw Joe Clyde climb up and try to unlock the door.

After the state finished its questioning, the defense asked Alex about giving a false story. Alex testified that he initially did but said he didn’t change his story after talking to family or investigators.

Damning testimony IMO but the defense pointed out discrepancies between today and prior video interviews. If the kid is telling the truth it seals it for me but will the jury believe him?

Tuesday, June 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 5) (@ 9am CT) – TN – Joseph “Joe Clyde” Daniels III (5) (April 3, 2018, Dickson) – for *Joseph Ray Daniels (28/now 31) “father” arrested & charged (4/7/18) & indicted (6/8/18) with 1 count of 1st degree murder, 1st degree felony murder, aggravated child abuse, filing a false report & tampering with evidence. $1M bond.
Confessed on 4/6/18. Waived rights to Prelim hearing. Joseph Daniels told officers that he beat his son to death after his son urinated on the floor. But recanted his confession saying he was coerced.
Trial began on 6/1/21 to 6/2/21 with jury selection for Joseph only. Jury will be sequestered during trial. Jury picked from Hamilton County not from Dickson County due to pretrial publicity. Trial began on 6/3/21. The trial will run Monday thru Saturday 9am to 5 or 6pm. 12 jurors & 4 alternates.

Court hearings from 6/4/18 thru 5/25/21 & Jury Selection from 6/1/21 & 6/2/21 & Trial Day 1-3 (6/3/21 & 6/5/21) reference post #914 here:
Still Missing - TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *arrests* #2

6/7/21 Monday, Day 4 of Trial: There will be a motions hearing first before the jury hears from Alex. He is 11 years old now. The jury is not present. The motion is to see if Alex Nola competent. The judge is going over the importance of the truth in this case with Alex.
See post #919 for more info here:
Still Missing - TN - Joseph "Joe Clyde" Daniels, 5, Dickson, 3 Apr 2018 *autistic* *arrests* #2
State witness: Jeff Smithson, lived across the street from Daniels.
See post #968 for more info here:
State witness: Alex Nola.
See posts #920, 925, 928 to 930, 933, 935, 936 & 940 for more info here:
Court is now in recess. They will return at 1:15PM. We will pick up with Alex after lunch. Defense says they have a 50 min video they will show then.
Alex continued. Showed video of interview with Alex & employee of Child Advocacy Center. And next witness: Daniel McCormick.
See posts #949, 950, 951, 953, 955, 957, 958, 960 for more info here:
McCormick continued.
See posts #961 & 962 for more info here:
Jury has been dismissed for the day. Now, attorneys discuss whether Daniels’ confessions will be allowed in trial. Judge Wolfe has ruled that the modified trustworthiness standard announced in State v. Bishop (2014) has been met. The judge has ruled that the confessions by Daniels have been sufficiently corroborated & the jury will hear them. Trial continues on 6/8/21.

*Krystal Nicole Daniels (27/now 30) “mom” arrested & charged (4/8/18) & indicted (6/8/18) with criminal responsibility aggravated child neglect & filing a false report. Charged (5/26/20) with criminal responsibility aggravated child neglect, accessory after the fact & making false reports to officers. $1M bond.
Trial will be set after Joseph’s trial ends.

I don't think it will be lost on this jury that there is a difference between somebody looking in your direction versus somebody is looking AT you. It would also make sense to me that if you see somebody standing there you would slow down and look at them to make sure they saw your car if only to make sure they wouldn't be stepping in front of your moving vehicle. Just as you'd look for deer.

I don't think it will be lost on this jury that there is a difference between somebody looking in your direction versus somebody is looking AT you. It would also make sense to me that if you see somebody standing there you would slow down and look at them to make sure they saw your car if only to make sure they wouldn't be stepping in front of your moving vehicle. Just as you'd look for deer.
I agree! You see somebody standing on a bridge at that time of night, you take notice! My first thought would have been “is he going to jump?” MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes