TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

If the neighbor really has been cleared, then I find this statement very telling about the direction the investigation may be moving:

Through the investigation Sheriff Box says clues have been found and evidence has been collected.

Though keeping a tight lip on what exactly has been discovered Box says it's being processed right now for any clues that can lead them to Swift.

If Karen was going out for what ever reason that early in the morning don't you think someone would have been expecting her?

If she was returning to the Halloween party I would think she would have called someone to see if the party was still in full swing. That person would have come forward and said something like "ya, she called me and she said she would be here in a half hour"

If she was going to meet up with someone I would think she would have had plans for that too. That person would have come forward by now and said "ya, she called me and planned on stopping over but never arrived" or "ya, we had plans for her to take care of her daughter and then stop by my house later but she never showed up"

We know she arrived at the house around 1:30 AM and went to bed with her daughter. For her to get up sometime between 1:30 AM and 6:00 AM when the car was found and not communicate or have plans to meet someone, if she was planning on leaving again would seem strange to me.

As far as we know no one has come forward and said anything to the fact that Karen had plans to leave the house for any reason that early in the morning.

I think her phone records will be a big part of solving this case. Did she call or text anyone that early in the morning? Who just leaves that early in the morning without a plan of going somewhere or meeting someone? Has LE released the time at which the phone shut off? We know the phone pinged or was used near a river when it shut off. The phone shut off from likely being thrown into the river. What time was that? Would the husband have had time to drive from the area at which the phone shut off to where the car was found, walk to the house before the children woke up? If I remember correctly the husband is the one that was said to have found the car at 6:00 AM and the daughter awoke at 6:30 AM. Did the husband wake up the daughter at this time? Did he call anyone at that time he found the car to see if Karen might be with them or was anyone with him to verify this time? Did he seem concerned that the car was parked down the road with a flat tire but Karen was no where to be found? Does the vehicle have GPS that can be examined to possibly tell where the car was driven and at what time?

The only other possibility for leaving that early in the morning unannounced could be she might have gone to get something for her sick daughter such as medicine, but I would think what ever she had purchased would have been found inside the car along with a receipt. Are there any stores open that late at night and do they have surveillance video? I would think a store clerk would have come forward by now and said Karen was at the store in the early morning hours by now if that was the case.

Looking at the Google map in the following link showing where Karen's house is in relationship to where the car was found and the image below pointing out the spot where the car was found it is possible that when Karen left the house and drove on Harness Rd. towards Millsfield Hwy. her tire could have gone flat as she approached the intersection of Millsfield Hwy and Harness Rd. She could have then turned right onto Millsfield Hwy and then did a quick U-turn to park where the car was found in the direction in which she did. So I think it is possible that she could have been leaving the house for the car to be parked where it was found with a flat tire.

Examining the tire it should be easy to tell what caused the flat, whether it was cut, the air was let out or if a nail or some other object was in the tire that would have caused the tire to go flat. If the car has sensors to tell if a tire is low it may be possible to scan the vehicles computer to tell what time the sensor was triggered. Most cars will record a log of all codes or faults a vehicle will experience. This could give us a clue as to what time the tire went flat and the car was parked. If the tire went flat before the phone went dead than that points towards a stranger abduction. If the phone went dead before the tire went flat that would point to the husband being the likely suspect in my book.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...ll=36.135379,-89.386193&spn=0.006776,0.009645

1574760-H.jpg

All JMO

So now I have something else bugging me about this case.
- If this neighbor (or someone else other than the husband) is responsible, then why leave her car where it was left? Evidently, she was not in it as the dogs did not detect her scent. So it must have been driven there by the perp. The neighbor lived close by, so that means he either got her outside of her home, or hid in her car and then just rode along and then surprised her all of a sudden. If outside of her home, then why move the car at all? If in her car with her, then why bring it back? I know he needed to get home somehow if that's the case, but he didn't have a family at home to notice him missing (or did he? I don't know) so he could have taken it further than 1/2 a mile away, kwim?

But... if it was her husband, then he needed to get the car away from the house so he could come up with an excuse as to why she is missing (e.g., "she left and that's all I know"). Yet, he had kids back home that he needed to get back to before they woke, so he didn't have time to take it far and then walk back home.

It's late and mind is tired, so I hope I'm explaining this well. There's only one person who had to leave the vehicle where it was left - which is far enough away to support a story of her "leaving" yet close enough to hurry back home before the kids woke up.
MOO
ETA: I also think it's very telling that LE is back inside their home shortly after the neighbor is "cleared".

Good job explaining why the car was found where it was and why the person who left it there could only be one specific individual, the husband. I totally agree with you.

I keep reflecting on the husband's Facebook statement from four days into this case: "We want her home and love her very much. Preston, my son, has been speaking with the media. My main focus is to work with the authorities to get her home safely. Thanks for the many prayers and kind words which is greatly appreciated."

The husband's main focus is to work with the authorities to get Karen home safely? How? He's not taking part in searches, so what's he doing? Answering LE's questions? That's what he's supposed to do! And the fact that he has still not spoken with the media since day one sends up huge red flags for me.

To top it all off, he's leaving media interviews up to his 21-year-old son? He's got to be kidding ... Why is he putting all that pressure on his child? I would think he'd be out there begging for his wife's return.

JMHO.

Sorry, twas a big rant. Mea culpa. Slinking away.

I did hear a few days ago that the party ended way before 1:30 so don't think she had planned to go back there,IMO.

I am just catching up from the past few days. I read an article that stated that she picked up her teenage daughter from the party because she was sick. I thought her two daughters were younger. Am I wrong, or was the article incorrect?

I am wondering if Karen "cussed" out her husband because he wouldn't go and pick up their daughter. I wonder if this ticked him off, they fought about it, and he snapped. Just thinking out loud. IF - and that is a huge IF - he is involved, why else would they get into an argument in the middle of the night?

The divorce can be amicable but as soon one or the other strays and responsibilities suddenly become an issue especially living in the same home with children, I believe that would cause a lot of tension.

I could see it in this case. It was mom's turn for night out but suddenly daughter is ill. Daughter calls mom and not dad for some reason (perhaps because it was late and she thought he may have been asleep?). Mom picks up daughter, takes her home, puts her to bed, has a few words with ex perhaps telling him she's going back out. He's furious and can't believe she'd leave him with a sick child so she could go party. He feels betrayed. Even though they're divorcing knowing she's out partying with perhaps another guy only worsens the situation. He snaps. Probably strangles her. Sets it up to look like she was sexually assaulted.

All JMO. Yes very similar to Nancy Cooper case.

Exactly, and well stated! My niece (sorry to personalize) was telling everyone how amicable her divorce was and that she and her husband were living together until it was settled.... then next thing she has to keep a lock on her bedroom door, then she's and he are arguing over the phone and she's staying at her mom's....

I did hear a few days ago that the party ended way before 1:30 so don't think she had planned to go back there,IMO.

So where was she when her daughter called her?

Exactly, and well stated! My niece (sorry to personalize) was telling everyone how amicable her divorce was and that she and her husband were living together until it was settled.... then next thing she has to keep a lock on her bedroom door, then she's and he are arguing over the phone and she's staying at her mom's....

I would never recommend it to any of my family members or friends. I know that many do it for the sake of the children but watching mommy and daddy argue or live separate lives inside the same household is more psychologically harmful than splitting up and each getting their own dwelling. Children usually adapt to cordial custody arrangements.

I wonder who wanted the divorce?

If Karen was going out for what ever reason that early in the morning don't you think someone would have been expecting her?

If she was returning to the Halloween party I would think she would have called someone to see if the party was still in full swing. That person would have come forward and said something like "ya, she called me and she said she would be here in a half hour"

If she was going to meet up with someone I would think she would have had plans for that too. That person would have come forward by now and said "ya, she called me and planned on stopping over but never arrived" or "ya, we had plans for her to take care of her daughter and then stop by my house later but she never showed up"

We know she arrived at the house around 1:30 AM and went to bed with her daughter. For her to get up sometime between 1:30 AM and 6:00 AM when the car was found and not communicate or have plans to meet someone, if she was planning on leaving again would seem strange to me.

As far as we know no one has come forward and said anything to the fact that Karen had plans to leave the house for any reason that early in the morning.

I think her phone records will be a big part of solving this case. Did she call or text anyone that early in the morning? Who just leaves that early in the morning without a plan of going somewhere or meeting someone? Has LE released the time at which the phone shut off? We know the phone pinged or was used near a river when it shut off. The phone shut off from likely being thrown into the river. What time was that? Would the husband have had time to drive from the area at which the phone shut off to where the car was found, walk to the house before the children woke up? If I remember correctly the husband is the one that was said to have found the car at 6:00 AM and the daughter awoke at 6:30 AM. Did the husband wake up the daughter at this time? Did he call anyone at that time he found the car to see if Karen might be with them or was anyone with him to verify this time? Did he seem concerned that the car was parked down the road with a flat tire but Karen was no where to be found? Does the vehicle have GPS that can be examined to possibly tell where the car was driven and at what time?

The only other possibility for leaving that early in the morning unannounced could be she might have gone to get something for her sick daughter such as medicine, but I would think what ever she had purchased would have been found inside the car along with a receipt. Are there any stores open that late at night and do they have surveillance video? I would think a store clerk would have come forward by now and said Karen was at the store in the early morning hours by now if that was the case.

<snipped for space>

She may have met someone at the party and decided to hang out after the party. I'll have to trust LE questioned everyone who attended and have checked her phone for any incoming or outgoing calls.

Assuming she had a rendez vous with a guy, I would hope this person would come forward. Or not. Would he be too afraid that suspicion may be on him? Yikes

I hadn't realized they were that close to the Mighty Mississippi!!! Do any locals know how deep or fast that river is in that area? I know in other areas is is quite powerful. It makes me wonder if she will ever be found.

Unless you go to the very start of the Mississippi in Minnesota, it's all huge! These areas below are route he may have taken...if he did, imo.

From bridge off US 412: http://g.co/maps/hcp2r
Mileage and time: http://g.co/maps/grxbt

From area off US 104: http://g.co/maps/ms8g6
Mileage and time: http://g.co/maps/mrvz4

From the local NBC station (Memphis Channel 5)

DYERSBURG, TN -

(WMC-TV) - Volunteers were out in full force Saturday searching for a Dyer County woman who went missing two weeks ago.

Among the volunteers searching for Karen Swift was her oldest son, Preston Swift.

"We want to know she's OK," said Preston Swift. "I love you, Mom."

There's video also

www.wmctv.com

These are my thoughts, as written on a different message board. Just copying and pasting here:

If David is, in fact, the perp, I think he harmed her because he is so concerned about image that he would rather have a wife who is missing or dead (in other words: she&#8217;s STILL considered his wife, even if she&#8217;s dead) than a &#8220;broken family&#8221; where his wife left him.

That said, I don&#8217;t think the crime would have necessarily been premeditated, but I do think he&#8217;s probably had &#8216;thoughts&#8217; about how he&#8217;d rather Karen be dead than that he allow her to leave him. They appeared to be the &#8220;picture-perfect&#8221; family, and I think that image meant a lot to David. If he couldn&#8217;t have that picture-perfect family, he didn&#8217;t want anything else.

I think David might have unintentionally killed her (maybe he thought she looked &#8216;slutty&#8217; in her Halloween costume, and it enraged him &#8211; which could also explain why he threw it in the backseat of her car), and then probably did a quick job of trying to stage something else while the kids were still asleep (something that makes Karen look like a &#8220;loose&#8221; woman who goes out in the wee hours of he morning while he &#8211; the &#8216;good guy&#8217; &#8211; is home with the children.)

Good job explaining why the car was found where it was and why the person who left it there could only be one specific individual, the husband. I totally agree with you.

I keep reflecting on the husband's Facebook statement from four days into this case: "We want her home and love her very much. Preston, my son, has been speaking with the media. My main focus is to work with the authorities to get her home safely. Thanks for the many prayers and kind words which is greatly appreciated."

The husband's main focus is to work with the authorities to get Karen home safely? How? He's not taking part in searches, so what's he doing? Answering LE's questions? That's what he's supposed to do! And the fact that he has still not spoken with the media since day one sends up huge red flags for me.

To top it all off, he's leaving media interviews up to his 21-year-old son? He's got to be kidding ... Why is he putting all that pressure on his child? I would think he'd be out there begging for his wife's return.

JMHO.

Sorry, twas a big rant. Mea culpa. Slinking away.

If he's working with LE, that's one point in his favor. At least he's not refusing to answer questions. As for not speaking to the media, many people are not comfortable doing that, nothing wrong with it. If I disappeared, I can guarantee that my hubby would not be on camera or talking to reporters! Maybe this was the son's choice, and he's not a child... 21 is an adult. Let's please not be too quick to judge the guy. Until he's named as a suspect by LE, I don't think we should jump to conclusions.

I would think there aren't that many truly amicable divorces. I mean, if you get along that well, why get a divorce? I'm sure there are exceptions but most people end up divorced because they don't get along, or one cheats, or they just can't live together for some reason.
However, if they just recently filed, maybe there was an agreement that they could take their time looking for a new place? Heck, I don't know, but if I am going to leave my husband and file for divorce, one of us has to go. I'll be danged if I'm going to keep washing his dirty socks!

I would think there aren't that many truly amicable divorces. I mean, if you get along that well, why get a divorce? I'm sure there are exceptions but most people end up divorced because they don't get along, or one cheats, or they just can't live together for some reason.
However, if they just recently filed, maybe there was an agreement that they could take their time looking for a new place? Heck, I don't know, but if I am going to leave my husband and file for divorce, one of us has to go. I'll be danged if I'm going to keep washing his dirty socks!

BBM

Thanks for the chuckle, TxLady! :floorlaugh:

BBM
:floorlaugh: Thanks for making me laugh!
True about if two people get alone so well, why divorce.
Always three sides to these stories - what the wife says, what the husband says, and the real truth!

The husband's main focus is to work with the authorities to get Karen home safely? How? He's not taking part in searches, so what's he doing?

After reading about hundreds of these missing persons cases over the years, it is very rare that police will tell a spouse to go out searching, especially since he was in the area on the night she disappeared.

The reason is obvious - if he had something to do with it, he could hide/destroy evidence or plant evidence to lead searchers astray.

If he is innocent, his own attorney might be telling him to stay out of it so those questions don't come up.

Or it might just be too painful if, after all these days, they are looking for a body. We see that all the time in these searches. It may sound weak to some of us, but it's human nature.

Of course we dont' know the truth yet, so it's better for him to let others look for his wife. :twocents:

truthsleuth said:
Answering LE's questions? That's what he's supposed to do! And the fact that he has still not spoken with the media since day one sends up huge red flags for me.
Well, that's true. I can't recall if he has a lawyer yet, but if he does they may have told him to clam up because everything he says in public can be held against him later. Also something we see each time in these cases.

truthsleuth said:

The boy might want to do it, as a way of helping his Mom or his family in general. It might make him feel better. Another article said the boy was out searching also - he loves his mother! That's just my opinion. :cow:

I'd rather have someone honest and loving as family spokesperson than someone who might become a person of interest in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro