Found Safe TN - Katharine & Robert Baskin, Murfreesboro, 1 March 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I live in Murfreesboro. I wonder if I would be able to get any information from Det. Flagg or the local newspapers or courthouse on this?

Does anyone have a court case number? Any other information?

Dear Justiceorjustus,

I love your pseudonym! It seems to sum up everything.

Thanks for offering to to help us flesh out more information! I wouldn't have a clue what the court case number is. However if people are still asking Anita Flagg about the case there must be someone who can help you. How about checking your local library? If there is an Internet catalogue on the local newspapers you could do an Internet search to find the newspapers which will have articles on the case. If not, the librarian is sure to help you somehow. The local library is certainly where I would start if I was there.

I live in Murfreesboro. I wonder if I would be able to get any information from Det. Flagg or the local newspapers or courthouse on this?

Does anyone have a court case number? Any other information?

That would be AWESOME if you're able to get some info for us. I'd really love for this case to be solved!!

I put a call in to her yesterday afternoon. No call back yet, but it was a bit later in the afternoon.

Hopefully she'll call me back today. I'm going to see if she has contact information for Ms. Hornsby as well.

May not be able to get all doc's because it was a case involving minors. I'm hoping that since they aren't minors anymore maybe we could get more information...like all of it. :D

Keep your fingers crossed...

I put a call in to her yesterday afternoon. No call back yet, but it was a bit later in the afternoon.

Hopefully she'll call me back today. I'm going to see if she has contact information for Ms. Hornsby as well.

May not be able to get all doc's because it was a case involving minors. I'm hoping that since they aren't minors anymore maybe we could get more information...like all of it. :D

Keep your fingers crossed...

My fingers are crossed! Can't wait to her what they say when you hear back from someone!!

Thanks. I can't, either. I hope it's positive. My son even said he'd go over and pick up all the doc's and stuff that they'll give me. Hopefully there's enough to really find out something and again, not so much that it takes up my entire office. Case has been going on for a long time, afterall. :eek:

If I don't hear from her by about 2:00 I'll try calling again.

YEEHAAHH!

The Baskin segment is back on YouTube under the title "Wanted Criminals: Marvin and Sandra Maple." I have added it to my Playlist. Here's hoping it doesn't get pulled again. It was interesting watching the segment again after 20 years and in the light of what I have learned from the UM thread and refreshing my memory.

YEEHAAHH!

The Baskin segment is back on YouTube under the title "Wanted Criminals: Marvin and Sandra Maple." I have added it to my Playlist. Here's hoping it doesn't get pulled again. It was interesting watching the segment again after 20 years and in the light of what I have learned from the UM thread and refreshing my memory.

It's on MySpace if it does get pulled, as well. And I'm sure it'll continue to pop back up - people care about little kids being taken by evil grandparents.

PLEASE tell us what you find out Justice!

Thanks to JusticeofJustUs for telling me about this case! ;)

I am local too, and can't wait to read more about this case. Let me know if there's anything I can do. It's hard to believe that these children have been missing this long. As a parent, I just can't fathom it.

Prayers going up that they are located soon and that these grandparents are locked away very soon.

Prayers going up that they are located soon and that these grandparents are locked away very soon.

It may not work out that way. For example, the grandparents (and possibly the grandchildren) may no longer be around. How about we pray that this case be resolved to the best interests of everyone concerned?

I haven't found out anything yet but, in all fairness to Det. Flagg, I discovered that my phone batter went dead and I didn't know it for two or three days. (I'm not a phone person until I need it. :( ) I did put in another call to her apologizing for this.

LOL Cakegirl. I have Liberty going to the vet on Tuesday so if I haven't heard anything by then I'm going to stop in at 940 to hopefully speak with her directly or at least leave a written message for her. :)

Wish me luck!

Sameera --- It's true they could be anywhere. I'm hoping that, if we can get more information and possibly age enhancements year by year, maybe John Walsh can run the story and maybe generate some leads on any one of them.

For whatever reason I cannot explain I'm honestly thinking that either a former school teacher of one of the children's, or possibly a pediatrician, dentist or general practitioner might recognize the children as they might have looked at that age (or the grandparents) if they were ever in for medical care. Not sure why that's plagueing my thoughts but it might be something worth running the story for. Hopefully the AMW group agrees depending on what I find.

Sameera --- It's true they could be anywhere. I'm hoping that, if we can get more information and possibly age enhancements year by year, maybe John Walsh can run the story and maybe generate some leads on any one of them.

Yes, much as we would love to see the Maples right in here :behindbar we can really only pray the case will be resolved to the best interests of everybody concerned.

I think America's Most Wanted did air the Baskin case, but it can't hurt to ask them.

I was just watching the segment again and was intrigued by Judge Corlew's comments, "I'm going to hold someone in contempt of court" - but he never held anyone in contempt of court. What on earth did he mean? :razz:His whole handling of this case and his lack of regret about his decisions says something about the kind of judge he was :mad: (he may have changed since then, admitting his mistakes; I don't know). In the segment he was a contrast to Karen Hornsby who admits partial blame for what happened because she did not listen to the Baskins' warnings that the Maples were a flight risk.

Speaking of Karen Hornsby, I thought she looked like Cheryl Ladd in the segment...

Back to business: it was interesting to see that Bobby and Christi underwent repeated interviews. The standard now is for allegedly abused children to be interviewed only once as repeated questioning can contaminate the evidence, create false memories and coerce children into saying things that may not be true.

This is both tragic and fascinating. So many people hurt and with their lives disrupted, I really feel for those children.

Samerra, I read though the thread you posted - I don't believe the poster claming to be related to Marvin actually is as she was incredibly vague and didn't answer the most important question of all imho - if the grandparents believed the parents were molesting the children why didn't they take Micheal with them as well? I know he was out of state when they did vanish but they could have waited until he was back and taken him.
That makes no sense to me...

Sorry to comment on your post so late. I didn't realize this thread had started up again. The people who claimed to be Marvin's relatives over at the U.M. boards really are who they say they are. I've researched and know it to be true.

I agree, makes no sense at all leaving Michael behind if you truly believed the parents to be guilty and were making accusations that they were part of a satanic cult. That's the point at which it makes it so obvious that they were lying. Neither the grandparents or any of the other family members have ever seem to have tried to help Michael at all. Thing is he doesn't need help, he's been perfectly safe all along, just as Bobby and Christi were (IMO).

Samerra, I read though the thread you posted - I don't believe the poster claming to be related to Marvin actually is as she was incredibly vague and didn't answer the most important question of all imho - if the grandparents believed the parents were molesting the children why didn't they take Micheal with them as well? I know he was out of state when they did vanish but they could have waited until he was back and taken him.
That makes no sense to me...

IMO, the reason the Maple relatives didn't answer our questions in regard to Michael is because they don't have an answer and can't find one!

If any of the Maple relatives turn up on this thread, I vote we ignore them and do not respond to any of their arguments. It takes two to quarrel, and we don't want this thread to degenerate into an argumentative, counterproductive thread that ends up being shut down as the other one was. Anyway, I for one am not going to respond to any of their messages.

I have read a bit more info on the situation than I've seen on missing persons websites or on UM. I'd rather not say where I read it but the reason the grandparents seemed to develop such a hatred for their daughter and son-in-law largely stemmed from the Baskins' Baptist faith.

About the Baptist Faith info. My take on it was that this is what was emphasized by Marvin and Sandra Maple to the Great-Grandparents (Sandra's parents, Debbie's Grandparents) because that was what they knew would make the Great-Grandparents take their side and turn against Debbie. I think this mainly because there was other info. that Sandra had given up on faith, and only attended church when she visited her parents, to keep up the facade with her devout parents.

It doesn't make a lot of sense though... you'd think if they believed the abuse allegations, that would have been enough.

About the Baptist Faith info. My take on it was that this is what was emphasized by Marvin and Sandra Maple to the Great-Grandparents (Sandra's parents, Debbie's Grandparents) because that was what they knew would make the Great-Grandparents take their side and turn against Debbie. I think this mainly because there was other info. that Sandra had given up on faith, and only attended church when she visited her parents, to keep up the facade with her devout parents.

It doesn't make a lot of sense though... you'd think if they believed the abuse allegations, that would have been enough.

If Debbie had become, say, Catholic, I could (grudgingly) understand the great-grandparents' attitude. However it is hard to say what could be objectionable with being Baptist as opposed to Church of Christ (the church mentioned in the great-grandmother's obituary) so it either has to be:

1. Some Southern thing that Northern Americans (and foreigners like me) could not understand and probably best not to.

2. Nothing to do with Baptist or Church of Christ faiths, or the Deep South, but something to do with the great-grandparents themselves eg being extremist.

The same source also revealed that when Sandra lost her faith she declared that if she was going to Hell, she would enjoy her present life to the full. More significantly, she declared that she would go to any lengths to do and didn't care who she hurt.

I was thinking about when the Maples first saw Judge Corlew in his chambers he automatically gave them temporary custody of the children without speaking to the children, or having the Baskins present or represented, or even having the Baskins know. According to someone on the old UM thread he violated the Baskins' parental rights by doing so, even with awarding temporary custody of the children to the Maples.

Does anyone have any insight on what the proper procedures were at the time and what Corlew should/could have done? Granted, the satanic abuse scares were such a peak at the time that they may have driven Corlew to go against procedures, but what should/could he have done differently? And I still say Corlew should have placed the children in custody of the court while the charges were being investigated.

Interestingly, according to the Maple relative who corresponded on the UM thread, the Maples were not accusing Debbie of child abuse but Mark Baskin and his father. What's more, Mr Baskin Snr was a prominent Murfreesboro citizen! If this is correct, it makes you wonder what Corlew was thinking; surely he knew the political ramifications in accusing a prominent Murfreesboro citizen of sexual abuse.

A PIECE OF ADVICE::eek:

If anyone turns up any possible leads, I advise them not to post them to the thread. Tell us by private messages. The Maple family, or maybe even the Maples themselves, may be watching our thread.

Promising news.

But here's a question, isn't reporting that the family might be living in the San Diego area just the tip they need to high-tail it out of town?

Just like the case of Whitey Bulger...reporters will broadcast 'suspected sightings' of him - giving him more than enough time to relocate somewhere else.

I don't get it.

I have read a bit more info on the situation than I've seen on missing persons websites or on UM. I'd rather not say where I read it but the reason the grandparents seemed to develop such a hatred for their daughter and son-in-law largely stemmed from the Baskins' Baptist faith.

I.

I think this is the secondary tragedy in this story. How could these people do this to their own daughter?? There is something twisted there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
subzero55
Back