Found Safe TN - Katharine & Robert Baskin, Murfreesboro, 1 March 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was over at the Baskin segment on YouTube, and somebody said that Judge Corlew was kicked off the bench and sanctioned. I enquired further, they told me that the Baskin parents lodged a grievance against him, and this was the board's verdict against Corlew!:woohoo:

The Baskin segment must have been made before the grievance hearing since Corlew was still wearing judge's robes and didn't express any regrets over his decisions in the Baskin case.

Afterwards Corlew went into private law.

The comments after the articles that Tripmap posted are interesting. Looks like the Maples spin doctors could be out and about again. I truely wonder if these people will finally be found. I'm sure the kids are likely brainwashed horribly and won't turn their grandparents in....I've seen this in some other parental kidnapping cases--the child is found after years and years but has been poisoned against the other parent and refuses to even see them. So heartbreaking. People who use children as pawns are just disgusting.

I've seen it, too, thefragile. I remember a case where a woman searched for her son for 20+ years -- the father had stolen the boy while she was hospitalized. I remember the scene of her chasing after the car with the child in it, begging the father to stop. When she finally caught up with the child when he was an adult, he wanted nothing to do with her.

I'm curious...in cases like the Maple/Baskin case, do the adults get new social security numbers for the kids? Now that they're adults, they'd need their numbers to get jobs. Since they haven't been tracked that way, they must have new numbers, yes?

We discussed SSNs for the Baskin children on our old UM thread. Two things came up:

First, at the time of the kidnapping it was easier to fool the system.

Second, there is sketchy evidence the Maples disappeared with the help of an Atlanta-based railroad which hides allegedly abused children. If so, the railroad could have helped the Maples provide new SSNs for the children, and presumably for themselves.

Ahh yes, Faye what's-her-name's network..Children of the Underground? THey helped that plastic surgeon hide out in Australia with her daughter...now the daughter refuses to see her father because mom poisoned her mind. As far as I remember the charges were unsubstantiated against the father.

I would love if the kids would question things and research for themselves....you can't believe everything you think or hear and not be afraid to challenge long-held beliefs to see if they stand up against evidence and time.

It doesn't seem this underground railroad researches things either, and does not check to see if the people they hide are genuine or not; they just take the accusers at their word. This was how they were portrayed in "A Kidnapping in the Family" anyway.

Well Unsolved says they will not be broadcasting any parental abduction stories. :( . Including this one, even though the grandparents did it....

I just watched the old Unsolved Mysteries segment on this case the other night, how sad that they haven't been found in all these years.

Hopefully with the twenty year anniversary of this case coming up, there will be more media coverage of it. Maybe that will lead to the parents finally getting some answers.

I have raised the suspicions that the Maples disappeared with the help of the underground railroad. Well, it looks like Faye Yager and her underground railroad are definitely linked to the Maples. Take a look at this!

A REAL FAMILY FEUD - Grandparents hiding 2 kids in custody fight
The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution - Monday, July 16, 1990

ROME, Ga. - Debbie Baskin 's eyes well up with tears when she describes a recurring dream that reflects her desperation and frustration: She sees her two missing children and calls to them, but they pay no attention. Mrs. Baskin has lived a nightmare since March 1989, when her parents, who accuse her and her husband of devil worship, disappeared with Bobby, 8, and Christi, 9. The Baskins say they lost their children long before they disappeared 16 months ago, when the grandparents began wea ving a web of spiteful lies. The grandparents, Sandra and Marvin Maple of Murfreesboro, Tenn., had been given temporary custody of the children a year before their disappearance. The Maples told a judge the Baskins were members of a satanic cult and that they sexually abused their children.

ROME, Ga. - Debbie Baskin 's eyes well up with tears when she describes a recurring dream that reflects her desperation and frustration: She sees her two missing children and calls to them, but they pay no attention.

Mrs. Baskin has lived a nightmare since March 1989, when her parents, who accuse her and her husband of devil worship, disappeared with Bobby, 8, and Christi, 9.

"It's a terrible uncertainty that never ends," said Mrs. Baskin, who moved from Kentucky to Rome last October when her husband, Mark, took a job selling insurance. "It would have almost been easier if they were tragically killed. There would have been an end."

The Baskins say they lost their children long before they disappeared 16 months ago, when the grandparents began weaving a web of spiteful lies.

The grandparents, Sandra and Marvin Maple of Murfreesboro, Tenn., had been given temporary custody of the children a year before their disappearance. The Maples told a judge the Baskins were members of a satanic cult and that they sexually abused their children.

A detective who investigated the case said no evidence of abuse was found.

"The children's stories were inconsistent and got increasingly bizarre, like they were repeating something someone told them," said Detective Carolyn McGowen of the Rutherford County Sheriff's Department in Tennessee, where the Maples have been charged with kidnapping.

The Maples fled with the children when a Juvenile Court judge appeared ready to order them returned to the Baskins, Detective McGowen said.

The children's abduction has been traumatic for the Baskins' third child, Michael, 7, who is confused and lonely, Mrs. Baskin said. "We're trying for him to have a normal life," she said. "It's hard."

The case has appeared twice on the TV show "Unsolved Mysteries" and has attracted more than 800 calls. Investigators have confirmed that the Maples and the two children lived in Santa Clara, Calif., last summer. The four are still believed to be on the West Coast, changing identities and locations to thwart the FBI, which is seeking the Maples on charges of interstate flight to avoid prosecution.

Mrs. Baskin thinks activist Faye Yager played a part in her parents' flight and their earlier campaign to destroy the Baskins in court.

"There are records that my parents called Faye Yager two or three times in February [1989]," Mrs. Baskin said. Police confirmed the calls.

Mrs. Yager, whose Atlanta-based underground network hides allegedly abused children, was recently charged with kidnapping and cruelty to children for allegedly intimidating a child to lie about sexual abuse and satanism in an unrelated case. She has denied the allegation.

Mrs. Yager said she talked to the Maples "several different times" before they fled with the Baskin children, "but they are not a part of my underground," she said. "I gave them advice on what I'd do if they were my children. I told them step by step. If they've followed my direction, they've done a good job."

Mrs. Yager said she believes the Maples' allegations about the Baskins but said she has not talked to the elder couple since before their disappearance and does not know where they are.

Mrs. Baskin, who has two sisters, said her mother always dreamed of having a son and thinks that longtime obsession is behind the events.

"It's strange. Mother and I were always close," Mrs. Baskin said. "I really trusted and adored my mother. Maybe too much."

Posted by Solve The Unsolved on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 5:05 a.m.

For Pete's sake! I don't know much about Yager's underground network, but if she blindly believes any story anybody tells her and gives them advice on how to run away and stay hidden, can you imagine how many families she's destroyed in the process?

For Pete's sake! I don't know much about Yager's underground network, but if she blindly believes any story anybody tells her and gives them advice on how to run away and stay hidden, can you imagine how many families she's destroyed in the process?

Not only that, but it is all too easy for certain types to take advantage of her. I've been reading about Yager online and found that at one point Yager discovered that a child molester had taken advantage of her and her services!

People have tried to bring legal action against Yager, but she seems to be very good at wriggling her way out of lawsuits and prosecutions.

People have tried to bring legal action against Yager, but she seems to be very good at wriggling her way out of lawsuits and prosecutions.

Apparently she transfers all of her property into her husband's name so that it will be protected from lawsuits. She declared bankruptcy decades ago.

I have been over to the Murfreesboro article in question. This is what someone has posted in response:

By: blueraider1 on 1/18/09
THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER SIDE TO EVERY STORY. Mark Baskin filed charges in Rutherford County of child abuse against his own father in the late summer of 1986 for sexual abuse to his son, Bobbie. Bobbie told his maternal grandparents, Marvin and Sandra Maple, about what his "Paw" had done to him and how he had hurt him and told his parents, also. Detective Carolyn McGowan told Mr. Maple that it was the clearest cut case of child abuse she had ever investigated when the original charges were against Mac Baskin. The charges against Mark's father were dropped, after some of the physical evidence 'disappeared'. Mark and Debbie left Murfreesboro after that; and asked her parents to take all three children while Mark went to seminary school in Kentucky for a two year study program. The Maples agreed to take the two older grandchildren only; as physically or emotionally they didn't feel able to raise three young children for an extended period. The youngest child (Michael) was three or four years old with learning differences. Bobbie and Christie were both enrolled in school (kindergarten and first grade at Northfield) with Mark and Debbie's approval. After the children had lived with the Maples for several months, they then told Marvin and Sandra Maple, that it wasn't just 'Maw' and 'Paw' (Mac & Charlotte Baskin) that had hurt them but also their parents, Mark and Debbie Baskin. Mr. and Mrs. Maple did not want to file criminal charges against their own daughter, Debbie. They asked Mark and Debbie to give them permanent custody which they refused. The Maples taped many conversations with threats on it to Bobbie and Christie from Mark and Debbie, but the court would not use this as evidence. It was against the law to use in court unless both parties knew they were being taped. After over a year of fighting in civil court for the protection of their grandchildren the Maples disappeared with Bobbie and Christie. They gave up everything they knew to protect these two children. The Baskins could have seen their children again, BUT, of course, that would mean they would have to tell the truth. It appears personal reputation is more important than justice or resolution or restoration or healing. So, yes, I agree I can't imagine how they live with themselves each day ….or have gone on with no knowledge of their own children. That may be preferable to them over what their children would have to say about them.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Oh, to have access to the file on the case and work out for ourselves who was telling what at the time and what their motives may have been!

I shall be definitely returning to this article and see what anyone has said in response to blueraider.

I read somewhere that before the Maples got custody, an incident happened which could be skewed as child abuse. The incident involved a constipated child and some petroleum jelly. When the child, Bobby, told the Maples what had happened, they used that as leverage against the Baskins. Maybe they really believed that the constipation relief method was abuse, who knows?

People in the Maples' camp keep saying, "They gave up everything to protect the children." Bull hockey. They left behind another child, Micheal. Did his abuse not matter to them because he was "learning different"? They never made an attempt to contact LE or the Baskins or anyone to find a solution to the problem, even stating that they'd rather the children died than be returned. How is that healthy? Now it is 20 years later. The children are grown. They can come forward without getting the Maples in trouble. Let them come forward and make their own decisions about their parents; let them see how their brother fared; let them at least allow the world to know they are alive and well.

Has Michael ever substantiated the reports that there was sexual abuse in the family? Has anyone suspected that Michael was being abused?

I don't buy it. Is any of that information regarding the other grandpa, Mac, able to be substantiated?

I've always thought the Baskin/Maple case sounded like the Maples didn't want to give the kids back after being given temporary custody, or they wanted to punish the Baskins for some reason.

I read somewhere that before the Maples got custody, an incident happened which could be skewed as child abuse. The incident involved a constipated child and some petroleum jelly. When the child, Bobby, told the Maples what had happened, they used that as leverage against the Baskins. Maybe they really believed that the constipation relief method was abuse, who knows?

I wanted to comment on the petroleum jelly incident. In my memory, originally a Maple family member posted in the UM boards and referred to the "petroleum jelly incident" not explaining what it was. Then someone posted a hypothetical on that, thinking that MAYBE someone was trying to aid a sick child and that when the Maples heard about it, they misinterpreted the incident to be something sexual/abusive. The incident was never described to us, so as far as I know this constipation aid story is entirely a hypothetical.

I wanted to comment on the petroleum jelly incident. In my memory, originally a Maple family member posted in the UM boards and referred to the "petroleum jelly incident" not explaining what it was. Then someone posted a hypothetical on that, thinking that MAYBE someone was trying to aid a sick child and that when the Maples heard about it, they misinterpreted the incident to be something sexual/abusive. The incident was never described to us, so as far as I know this constipation aid story is entirely a hypothetical.

Yes, this is what I was recalling. It sounds as plausible as anything else in this crazy story.

For S&Gs I went to intelius.com and searched for Ray Farmer...I'm sure others have done the same long ago. I did find a Ray Farmer who lived in CA -- Buena Park and Santa Ana -- and under relatives a Sandra Farmer was listed. Coincidence, probably, but I'm putting it out there.

Oh, and I rewatched the Maple/Baskin episode from Unsolved Mysteries. They show a home video taken of the children while visiting their parents a couple of months before the abduction. The children, to me, do not look particularly happy. Who knows what had been happening at the grandparents' home during that time.

I remember the "vaseline incident" from the UM thread. This came from a second Maple family member calling herself spit^fire. She demanded that we ask the Baskins about the "vaseline incident". At this point the thread was locked.

One of the other correspondents from that thread told me that she asked spit^fire twice by private correspondence to explain what this vaseline incident was. She forwarded one of spit^fire's replies - a lot of ranting and raving defending Marvin and Sandra but no explanation about the vaseline incident.

The hypothesis that perhaps the vaseline incident originated with Bobby having constipation and the use of vaseline as an old remedy is mine. Of course this vaseline incident, if there was one, could be anything from a genuine instance of child abuse to something perfectly innocent which was taken out of context.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tx-tinman
Back