Found Safe TN - Katharine & Robert Baskin, Murfreesboro, 1 March 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow! I wonder if the children were ever abused by their parents. I cannot see the video, but in that article it was said that it was his reason for having kidnapped them.

Wow! I wonder if the children were ever abused by their parents. I cannot see the video, but in that article it was said that it was his reason for having kidnapped them.

AFAIK the parents were completely cleared and their other child stated he wasn't abused. This was a KIDNAPPING. I would link the thread in cold cases but my laptop is acting up and won't let me cut/paste, right click, edit, anything of the sort!

How tragic :(

The media should back off

I'm sure they would if the parents would stop going on TV!

IDK what to think here. These kids need time to digest what has happened. It's possible their minds were poisoned against their parents. But.. OTOH, maybe they really were "saved." In any case, their grandparents raised them and that's all they know. Grandma is gone and Grandpa is in jail for kidnapping them. They seem to have grown into good, responsible, productive people. Grandparents signing on for another round of child-raising - and they seem to have done a lovely job while living under the threat of being caught. Who knows what really happened?

How frustrating and sad. At least they know that the kids are safe and healthy. I'd love to know what happened in the 20 years they were missing. For instance, I find it kind of odd that Christi is 28 and still living at home with her grandfather (doesn't she think he's her father?).

How frustrating and sad. At least they know that the kids are safe and healthy. I'd love to know what happened in the 20 years they were missing. For instance, I find it kind of odd that Christi is 28 and still living at home with her grandfather (doesn't she think he's her father?).

It's been mentioned he has health problems, and since his wife did die two years ago I wouldn't be surprised if she moved back in then.

Just speculation, of course.

Any more news yet? This is such a tragedy when people steal children and hide them. They basically change their fate.

Any more news yet? This is such a tragedy when people steal children and hide them. They basically change their fate.

News? well, the Baskins flew and attempted to see their children, leaving notes on their doors, etc asking for a meeting... with no response at all. They went back to GA without seeing their newly found children.

It's so sad. Who knows what these people (ADULTS NOW) are going through?! Who knows what they've been told for so many years. I believe the age they were taken, they kinda 'know' but were told a story as to why they had to 'hide', to change their 'names', etc... that their lives were at stake if they didn't....

One LE made a comment (sorry no link at the moment but I will dig) - that he felt the son kind of knew something about this whole thing.

WOW, and he's the one married with kids. Gotta wonder what that horrible grandmother told them for 18 years.... In a way, glad she's gone. In another way, horrible that the daughter doesn't get to confront her mother.

The mother / grandmother was the real antagonist in all of this if you read the entire story. And her being deceased must make it so much harder for the mother Debbie to resolve her feelings about everything that went on.

The mother Debbie Baskin has a blog. It's not private but not necessarily meant for all of us? Not sure. I won't post it here unless Tricia gives me permission to do so. I'm not sure about posting certain things.

There is no telling what their grandparents told them... I could see things going so far as the grandparents putting false memories in their heads by constantly using "remember when" exercises followed by making up something that never even happened. Be repetitive enough with a young child: they will eventually accept what a parental unit is saying.

I'm sure they would if the parents would stop going on TV!

IDK what to think here. These kids need time to digest what has happened. It's possible their minds were poisoned against their parents. But.. OTOH, maybe they really were "saved." In any case, their grandparents raised them and that's all they know. Grandma is gone and Grandpa is in jail for kidnapping them. They seem to have grown into good, responsible, productive people. Grandparents signing on for another round of child-raising - and they seem to have done a lovely job while living under the threat of being caught. Who knows what really happened?

I completely agree, they need time to digest this. They are adults now, and are in complete shock..I still don't know what to think about them not remembering anything from before they were taken by the grandparents. Maybe they do remember but were told something that made them not pursue a relationship or try to find the parents.

It is amazing that they both went on to get college degrees, which says they grew up to be respectable, motivated, and responsible adults....graduating college is a hurdle for a lot of people who are raised in a decent home with their biological parents.

There is no telling what their grandparents told them... I could see things going so far as the grandparents putting false memories in their heads by constantly using "remember when" exercises followed by making up something that never even happened. Be repetitive enough with a young child: they will eventually accept what a parental unit is saying.

ITA

I would hope that for everyone involved, it would be better in the end for the kids to discover they were lied to all these years. Then they would eventually come around to thinking how horrible their grandparents really must have been to do such a thing?

I don't know, thinking out loud. Maybe not, maybe the lies they were told included the 'evil acts' of their parents. And we all know from the 80's that false memories can certainly be planted in children sadly. :(

I just hope that some day the truth will come out....that the kids can see what was done to them. It's just so sad.

I don't have the link, but Marvin Maple was released on 100,000 dollars cash bond put up by relatives. I saw that in a news story. Wow, that is way too lenient.

I do know that they thought the Maples were their parents. (this is not as hard to pull off as it seems - they were only in their fifties at the time of the abduction)

Could this be THE Faye posting on the WGNS site????

"faye on February 18th, 2009 9:30 am in response to Maple: well look at it this way he did have custody at the time..also he home schooled them …he must have been a great grandparent.. and to send them to college too!!!.Who is gonna kidknap kids and do that ?Most kids dont even make it past 24hrs"

There is an article about the family in this week's People mag....at least I think it's this weeks...it has the pilot who crash-landed the plane in the Hudson river on the cover. The article made it sound like (to me) that it's possible there could be a reunion at some point down the road.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tx-tinman
Back