Found Safe TN - Katharine & Robert Baskin, Murfreesboro, 1 March 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know Shannon, I just thought since they've been found and were missing children, it deserved to be pulled out of the cold case and into current discussion... as it's no longer a cold case. That's why I posted a new thread.

No worries, I just posted it for those that might want to read through the rest of the posts. :)

AMAZING.
There are no words...
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

This is wonderful news!

Big kudos to the detectives on this case and to those people who stepped up to out Marvin.

Prayers going up for the Baskin family, and especially for Christie & Bobby (now known as Jennifer & Jonathan). This would be such a nightmare to sort through. I hope they understand that their parents never gave up hope and they missed them so much. :blowkiss:

I'm glad good ole' granddad (blah!) will get brought back here for trial and made to answer for what he has done. :behindbar Finally!

~Cakegirl

I have seen the thread in Cold Cases but have not read it.

Why did the grandparents want custody so badly? They made allegations of sexual abuse but that seems to have been fabricated. I just don't understand why grandparents would want to taken their child's children away from them that badly.

Also, Christine and Bobby were old enough when they were kidnapped to know that thye had been taken away from their parents. They would have been old enough to remember their parents names and their home address. WHy did they never look for them?

I am absolutely gobsmacked! Thrilled! I'm sure we (the public) will never know the full story, but I would love to know what they were told, if the Maples had support from extended family, if the kids wanted to contact parents, etc.

What I could never figure out was, if in fact there was abuse, as the grandparents alleged, then why only take two out of three children? If you were supposedly trying to protect your grandchildren, why not ALL of them? That was more than a little puzzling...

I guess more info will be coming out now...

Wow. Just wow. I hope we do get to hear more....Mr. Maple has a ton of explaining to do.

It's odd though....the articles claim that the now-grown children state do not remember anything, but they were definitely old enough to remember their parents, brother. It makes me wonder what happened to make them forget...to what exactly they were brainwashed to believe. It could also be a defense mechanism as well.

I can only imagine the ugliness that will come out....of course the Maple supporters will come out, contact them, put more stuff in their minds. I just hope they both can step back and look at the other side, look at the evidence. Some serious therapy would be in order here it seems like.

I keep looking for more information, but I see nothing. I thought two kids missing for 20 years would be national news! From the one article I read, it sounded like Christi and Bobby had no idea they were abducted, that this is all a surprise to them. How is that possible? They were 7 and 8 when taken.

I am glad that they were found and are safe. Did anyone else compare the age enhancements to the real photos of the Baskin's now? They were not even close.

I thought the photo of Bobby was fairly close. Christi? Not so much.

I just read this on www.people.com. Kids last name changed to Bunting? This grandfather is an evil man. The parents of those kids have been suffering since then. What torture to put them through.

This is amazing news, I am stunned. I pray for Bobbie and Christi as this is going to be confusing and difficult period for them.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29032692/?GT1=43001

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Authorities in Northern California say they have solved a two-decade-old kidnapping and have located the two children, reports said Thursday. Their grandfather was in custody.

Police in San Jose, Calif., say Christie and Bobby Baskin, who are both now in their 20s, were found Monday with their grandfather, Marvin Maple, NBC affiliate KCRA-Sacramento reported.

"All of us have almost had the feeling, is this really true, because we have been waiting so long," Stan Baskin, uncle of the now-grown children, told The Tennessean newspaper. "It is hard to believe it finally happened."

The 73-year-old Maple allegedly took the kids from their Tennessee home in 1989 after claiming his daughter and son-in-law were abusing them, KCRA said.

In San Jose, Maple's friends and neighbors told KCRA they were surprised to learn that he had been arrested.

"The whole story is shocking … it's so unlike the guy … I had breakfast and dinner very often," friend Carl Avery told KCRA.

Maple will be extradited to Tennessee, reports said.

I keep looking for more information, but I see nothing. I thought two kids missing for 20 years would be national news! From the one article I read, it sounded like Christi and Bobby had no idea they were abducted, that this is all a surprise to them. How is that possible? They were 7 and 8 when taken.

Hi Mr. E - if you google "Marvin Maples" with the quotes, and click google news, there are endless stories. Also google missing Baskin children. There's a lot out there about this story.

I don't have many memories from when I was about that age. Some people don't and if you have someone constantly at you about changing the truth, kids will believe anything and also - go into survival mode. Who knows what they've been told?

They could have been told that Judges said that their parents were 'evil' terrible people and the Judge gave them to the grandparents and in order for their real parents not to find them, we have to 'change our names' to keep safe.

Just a thought, but you can imagine someone committing this crime, the stories they could think up to keep control of the kids. These parents did nothing wrong - The Baskins I mean. And authorities investigated the grandparents accusations and found them all to be false.

The grandmother was a very controlling person and she was losing control and I believe went off the deep end and refused to give the grandkids back after the courts ordered them to do so. SHE was right, no matter what. My own mother in law told me once she had MORE RIGHTS TO MY KIDS than me because she gave birth to their father!! Ummmmm okay then.

My motherinlaw has nothing to do with our family & kids because she kept creating and making up stories, awful stories... all came down to control. I see this very plausible that other people out there could do things like this.

i live in mufreesboro, tn. the baskin children are my husband's cousins. he grew up with their father mark and their aunt & uncles. he grew up also around the grandparents, mack & charlotte baskin. the baskins are private people, but you won't find better people anywhere.

from what i understand, just before the kid's disappearance, mark, the children's father, had taken a job in kentucky, i think it was. he and debbie, their mother, had decided to let christi & bobby stay with debbie's parents while they went to kentucky to get settled and find a home. the children were school age and i guess this was thought to be best rather than disrupt their schooling.

once mark and debbie were ready to come back for the children, debbie's mother, sandra maple, became very upset. she had told others that she believed that debbie would never leave her and would change her mind about moving so far away. i think she really thought debbie couldn't live without her. when it became evident that the move would be official and that the kids would be moving away also the maples made up the story about sexual abuse and, iirc, that both mark and mack, mark's father, were in a satan worshipping cult and were abusing the children. this was around the time that all the crazy daycare center stories were going around about devil worshipping, blah, blah, blah.
after an investigation of the allegations revealed that the charges were unwarranted, debbie's parents bolted with the children. i will always believe it was out of spite that the maples commited such a horrible crime against their daughter, son-in-law, the entire baskin family and most especially their grandchildren. otherwise they could have simply moved to kentucky to be near the children.

i've heard rumors that some of the maple family have maintained their support for and believe marvin and sandra's story and cited the baskin family as having a lot of power in murfreesboro, thus they had the "pull" to make the judgement go their way. that's so absolutely ridiculous, it's laughable. it's not like the baskins are a big powerful family. as i said before, they are wonderful people. they are simply a really nice christian family.

as stated above, it was very much a control issue. it's such a shame. christi and bobby i'm sure are hurt and confused now, i'm sure. how are you supposed to resolve the fact that the woman you loved and knew as your mother really, and has since died, did such a horrible, selfish and hateful thing? and marvin, who is very old now, they must be terrified about what will happen to him. there's no telling what the kids have been told and i'm sure they love him very much. they have both grown up with no one else to love. no aunts, uncles and cousins. i can't imagine what christi and bobby are going through right now.

WOW I am so happy and sad all at the same time.
Happy that they have been found and sad for the two children who will now have to go through so many emotions about finding out that their parents were in fact their grandparents and that they have another sibling
Sad for the parents that they missed out on their two childrens lives for 20 years

Sad for the grandparents that they felt that they had to abduct their grandchildren

Sad for the grandfather who now must face this on his own at his age when in all likelyhood it was his wife who was the prime instigator and whilst I know he could have stopped it...i still feel a little sad for him...

What a mess and what a nightmare for these two children, now adults

Thankyou for your insight Entrevous I just found this thread after posting on the cold case one so I will post here too

WOW I am so happy and sad all at the same time.
Happy that they have been found and sad for the two children who will now have to go through so many emotions about finding out that their parents were in fact their grandparents and that they have another sibling
Sad for the parents that they missed out on their two childrens lives for 20 years

Sad for the grandparents that they felt that they had to abduct their grandchildren

Sad for the grandfather who now must face this on his own at his age when in all likelyhood it was his wife who was the prime instigator and whilst I know he could have stopped it...i still feel a little sad for him...

What a mess and what a nightmare for these two children, now adults

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tx-tinman