TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I edit tags? Can I do that? It should be "thompson lane" not thompson ave. With Nashville's adorable habit of having multiple streets with similar names, the "lane" part is important.
Done! You can add tags, but you can't edit them.

Bowen was from Indiana, and his wife's family was in Tennessee. I wonder how long he'd been living in Kingsport, and if he traveled back and forth often. Of course the gunshots are a different MO, but doesn't rule him out, imo.

Map showing the three locations.

http://goo.gl/maps/H1stA

My father was the police officer that transported Betty Jean’s killer to prison. He was also working with search party to find her body

I thought it was unsolved???

My father was the police officer that transported Betty Jean’s killer to prison. He was also working with search party to find her body

I thought it was unsolved???

Freddi Bowman was sentenced to 99 years for killing Betty Jean. He has since died.

Bowen was from Indiana, and his wife's family was in Tennessee. I wonder how long he'd been living in Kingsport, and if he traveled back and forth often. Of course the gunshots are a different MO, but doesn't rule him out, imo.

I think he had the gun to scare her into coming with him since the terrain was rough. then half the town showed up to look for her, so he just shot her and ran. I think if he had more time, he may have killed her in a different manner. MOO

I'm going to ask Metro Police about this murderer.

We can, however, sleuth the daylights out of the murderer Freddie Bowman.

The more I think about this INDIVIDUAL coming down here and killing girls, the madder I get.

Thank you for info about the tags.

The article on the left says he "lived here and there", and was arrested in Indianapolis in 1967. Nashville and the Knoxville area would have been on his route to Indianapolis. So where was he on Thanksgiving weekend 1969?

http://mylifeofcrime.files.wordpress.com/2006/03/scan2.pdf

That is an EXCELLENT question.. I wonder if he was in one of those motels you found. He was probably lying to his wife making her think he was somewhere else rather than just in Nashville.

wild speculation

We are obsessed! Look at the members here at 5 am lol.

I am so mad I could drag someone out of their grave to stand trial for more murders they weren't charged with while they were alive. Murder victims do not R.I.P. if their murder is unsolved. People instinctively know this. They must have justice.

This Freddie person is making me so mad. I'm even madder at him right now than Adcox! And the other POI (who I have not forgotten about). All of them! :jail:

O.k., I have gotten myself a soothing glass of Pepsi and thought this over. Metro Police would know about this Bowman/Bowen/whatever his name was individual. A case in Kingsport would be in The Tennessean, thus Metro Police would probably know about it.

But, they were heavily pursuing Adcox then...

ETA
I assume they'd know from more than just the newspaper, but if they didn't know any other way.. they'd know that way.

With the lower amount of traffic and the different type of traffic laws, I'll bet you could shave an hour off that travel time back in the day.

With the lower amount of traffic and the different type of traffic laws, I'll bet you could shave an hour off that travel time back in the day.
Definitely. I have to believe that the different jurisdictions at least compared notes, but it wouldn't be the first time a lack of communication and/or cooperation, not to mention lack of evidence, failed to connect dots that should have been connected. Now I'm wondering about cold cases in Indiana and Kentucky. I haven't found any yet that fit, but I'm not finished searching. That last article was cut off where it said Bowen was picked up in Indianapolis for "contributing...", but I think we can fill in the blanks.

Definitely. I have to believe that the different jurisdictions at least compared notes, but it wouldn't be the first time a lack of communication and/or cooperation, not to mention lack of evidence, failed to connect dots that should have been connected. Now I'm wondering about cold cases in Indiana and Kentucky. I haven't found any yet that fit, but I'm not finished searching. That last article was cut off where it said Bowen was picked up in Indianapolis for "contributing...", but I think we can fill in the blanks.

Yeah...

All of these cases really reveal that these criminals do vary their methods. There is the idea that once an individual has progressed to murdering their victims, they always do so. But, we are finding, this is not true. They have a range of crimes they commit and they continue committing crimes along that range even after they have gone so far as to murder someone.

Charles Mills and Claude Chamberlain were the original two detectives assigned to Kathy's case. They are the ones who built the case against Adcox. When the case eventually fell apart in 1979, both had retired. So, this tells me that in 1969, they were senior detectives who had worked many cases.

Here is what Mills says about the case (the six months would be the rest of 1969 and the part of 1970):
“Claude and I worked continually on this case for about six months. Then we went back on regular assignment. Every chance we got, we would jump back on the case. We worked it for nine years every chance we got.”

ETA
Quote is from the Scene

"Whoever did this was a vicious and vile creature.”

What Micky Miller said to the Scene about Kathy's murder. When he said this, he had been with the police for 22 years. So, if he calls someone "vicious" and "vile", I take him seriously.

Then he starts talking about DNA and polygraphs and Adcox.. and around then is when they started focusing on the other person, concluding Adcox had not done it.

But, I do not believe the other two detectives were wrong.. Adcox was involved or knew something even if he was not the murderer. Only the current detectives really know what is in those files that explain the elimination of Adcox as a suspect and why they are certain someone else is guilty.

I wonder.. did they have something of the killer's that they could run DNA on that they never told anyone about? The article says Adcox cooperated with the investigation.. does this mean he voluntarily gave them a DNA sample?

I just keep going through this Scene article. I am so thankful for it though it is so sad to read it.

I decided to go sofar as to send an email to the knife people. in the meantime, here are some pretty photos of knives.

let is start with the nazis first.

here is a himmler style ss dagger (very rare NOW, idk about back in the day):
handle
6w5j.jpg

blade
58on.jpg

a slightly different SS dagger
blade
5ewk.jpg

handle
2xnq.jpg

a german army dagger
rzgv.jpg

8wrz.jpg

BTW, two have been sold. someone owns them now. i PRAY it is a scholarly knife collector who barely knows how to handle them and plans to keep them in a glass case for the next hundred years.

SS stuff is heavily used in very depraved types of things. has been for a long, long time. this is not an accident.

ETA

more low rent type of people (such as maybe the murderers) may not have been able to get SS stuff, so just used regular Nazi stuff. which is why i included the bottom knife.

I do have to say one more thing about Betty Jean Necessary. Why couldn't that person just let her go? he could've tied her up or something and made a run for it. the rescuers would've found her and saved her. it's so sad and wrong.

ETA:
in case someone doesn't know, her rescuers were really close by

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members