TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.shoneys.com/html/aboutus.html

from what my phone will let me see of the interactive timeline, it seems the ones with car hops were 'big boys' (although there were restaurants called shoney's big boy by 1974). it is possible that in 1969, there was a car hop version of the restaurant there.

if it isn't the same, exact location then it is probably close from what people have said.

just to save people time (if anyone reads this)

there is something in Nashville NOW calling itself 'bob's big boy'. this is a different restaurant. maybe it is an old shoney's location for all i know, but it is something new.

in 2000, shoney's (which was not calling itself big boy any more.. bad connotations and all) had gone bankrupt. so a totally different guy bought it. he did close some stores. meaning another person could potentially buy them and start a restaurant.

then he brought back some old stuff, kept some current stuff, and added some new stuff for current shoney's. but, this is all 2000 and later.

in 1998, shoney's was at their peak size. which is a little surprising to me since i know places that closed before then, but that is what they say.

eta
and that guy ruined my favorite sandwich. oh well, it was fattening.

I will try to trace down where this was, but there was a drive in you could see from the interstate when I was a little girl. it is possible it was near 100 oaks. this would have been after 1969.

Was there any drive in theaters still open around that time of the year in the Nashville area?

I’m thinking of a drive in theater that is set back from the roadway and closed for the season.

I want to clarify my thoughts about this here.

I'm thinking of a drive in theater that is set back from the roadway, and has privacy fencing all around it where you cannot even see inside the drive in where the cars parked.

The middle of the lot would have the movie projector, rest rooms, and refreshment stands in the same building.

I'm thinking of a drive in theatre that was closed for the season. This could be a possible place for someone to commit their crimes without being seen or heard.

I want to clarify my thoughts about this here.

I'm thinking of a drive in theater that is set back from the roadway, and has privacy fencing all around it where you cannot even see inside the drive in where the cars parked.

The middle of the lot would have the movie projector, rest rooms, and refreshment stands in the same building.

I'm thinking of a drive in theatre that was closed for the season. This could be a possible place for someone to commit their crimes without being seen or heard.

i understood.

i just mean you could see the screen because it was so big. so i know it existed even though i never went there.

but, i believe it would've been closed in december. and there likely would be a fence and so forth to make it hard for people to get in to protect the owner's investment. there is usually some barrier.

http://www.vtoldboys.com/mob1960.htm

here is a 60s era bus converted for work purposes. this one is a mobile video tape bus. i absolutely do not think a mobile video tape bus was involved in this, but this is only an example of a bus from the era being used for something other than carrying passengers and what the interior might look like.

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/vans.html

here is late 60s to 1970 Dodge vans configured a lot of different ways. a cut away shows how many things you can chose to do to the interior.

then, they can be outfitted to be used as a camper.

many have no windows except in the front which has a panel between it and the back. so people outside the van would have no idea what was going on inside.

BTW, thank you for the photos everyone.

a coupleleft iI had found, but didn't post... I didn't know if people would want to see them, but they are helpful to see the surrounding area though I don't think she purposely would have gone some of these places... she might have been taken there.

traffic is steady, but much lighter than wheI drove those roads

i believe the area she was going was very we lit.

i do not know about grgrand view ave... I would say some lights, but not as many.

the night she was walking, the moon was still mostly full. by the time she was found, it was much dimmerI think the lack of moonlight, fewer lights, and the overgrown unruly nature of the lot would embolden the murderer to drop her off there.

i

^^sorry about the gibberish message my phone is going crazy

my phone should have betmanners editing make it worse

In one of the news articles posted (Nov 2009 Nashville Retrospect), the neighbor reported that she didn't hear anything unusual on the Saturday night (Nov 29). She then says that she was out all day on Sunday visiting family in Hickman County. I've tried to find an address for this neighbor (the article says she lived next door to the empty lot) just to see how close she was to the '20 feet from the alley' site. Her name is printed in the article as Mrs MMc. The reason I ask about this is that on goggle maps, it appears that there are actually 2 or 3 lots (2808, 2806 and 2804 Grandview- one might be the parking lot for KK) and several addresses associated with the empty spaces behind KK. I am wondering if MS's house at 2802 Grandview (on the corner) where the printing business is now.
Not sure where I'm going with this (def not sleuthing Mrs Mc); I guess just trying to get an idea of how comfortable this killer would have been parked in the alleyway committing this crime or disposing of Kathy's body. Why didn't he fear Mrs Mc/someone seeing or hearing him that night?

Anybody else wondering how long the Lion's Den Adult Superstore has been in that location on Nolensville Pike?

there were no white castles at all in nashville until the late 80s. i dk when that particular one was built, but i think it wasn't the first... so maybe 90s.
I remember going to the Thompson Lane/Nolensville Rd WC back in the late '80s. Guess I was thinking it had been there a lot longer. After writing about WC, I got the hankerin' for some and went there last night. Of course a family of six got there right before me (sigh). I wanted to ask about when that location opened, but they were too busy.

Searchin', I might have read your earlier post incorrectly, and I'd like to get this straight in my head. From reading, and looking at maps and photos, I understand White Castle is on the site of the old Gulf Station -- the SW corner of Nolensville and Thompson.

Across Nolensville, on the SE corner, is the Nissan dealership. The Nissan showroom is approximately where Kroger formerly stood.

The NE corner is Coleman Park

The NW corner is Walgreen's, and next to it on Thompson, the check cashing place and KK.

If that much is correct, then I think I can fill in a few more blanks.

Thanks!

In one of the news articles posted (Nov 2009 Nashville Retrospect), the neighbor reported that she didn't hear anything unusual on the Saturday night (Nov 29). She then says that she was out all day on Sunday visiting family in Hickman County. I've tried to find an address for this neighbor (the article says she lived next door to the empty lot) just to see how close she was to the '20 feet from the alley' site. Her name is printed in the article as Mrs MMc. The reason I ask about this is that on goggle maps, it appears that there are actually 2 or 3 lots (2808, 2806 and 2804 Grandview- one might be the parking lot for KK) and several addresses associated with the empty spaces behind KK. I am wondering if MS's house at 2802 Grandview (on the corner) where the printing business is now.
Not sure where I'm going with this (def not sleuthing Mrs Mc); I guess just trying to get an idea of how comfortable this killer would have been parked in the alleyway committing this crime or disposing of Kathy's body. Why didn't he fear Mrs Mc/someone seeing or hearing him that night?

Anybody else wondering how long the Lion's Den Adult Superstore has been in that location on Nolensville Pike?
You probably missed my earlier posts, but I've been researching the properties. Haven't quite put the picture together in a way I can present here. I *think* there were two houses on that stretch of property, but not the rear parking lot. So add a couple of houses, take away a parking lot, and push the building closer to the street. It's a wash, if you kwim.

I was very curious about the adult bookstore, and can now say with a fairly high degree of certainty that it was not there in 1969. Still trying to confirm. I haven't said anything because without answers it sounds like baiting. I did want to let you know that you're not the only one who's noticed it.

I remember going to the Thompson Lane/Nolensville Rd WC back in the late '80s. Guess I was thinking it had been there a lot longer. After writing about WC, I got the hankerin' for some and went there last night. Of course a family of six got there right before me (sigh). I wanted to ask about when that location opened, but they were too busy.

well, maybe it was the first one? I thought one near harding place was the first one. but, iI could be wrong.

iI am certain it was there in 1988. so the other one could be as well. or earlier.

mostly, iI just meant not in 1969 more than anything.

I do wonder exactly where she lived. and what else surrounded the I lot.

i do not think the adult bookstore was there in 69. but, i know one was there in the 90s because i got stuck in traffic right in front of it a bunch of times. i do not know the name or if it's in the same place exactly ..

Searchin', I might have read your earlier post incorrectly, and I'd like to get this straight in my head. From reading and looking at maps and photos, I understand White Castle is on the site of the old Gulf Station -- the SW corner of Nolensville and Thompson.

Across Nolensville, on the SE corner is the Nissan dealership. The Nissan showroom is approximately where Kroger formerly stood.

The NE corner is Coleman Park

The NW corner is Walgreen's, and next to it on Thompson the check cashing place and KK.

If that much is correct, then I think I can fill in a few more blanks.

Thanks!

I was looking and there is a library around Coleman park and it looks kind of new to me. just saying... but in some photos you can see steps going down and a building and i thought those were the library's steps. but i do not know this. they changed that corner completely when they changed the road not that long ago. it has been widened and changed around more than once since 1969..

1970's era video driving through the old Thompson Lane Tunnel

Just at the end of the video you can see the Krispy Kreme sign ahead and to the left

I checked all the other youtube videos from that person (he has over 100) but they appear to be all live concert videos except this one

See additional picture below .... it shows the K-Kreme sign

The old Thompson Lane Tunnel / Underpass in Nashville Tennessee - YouTube

Attachments

• thompson lane tunnel krispy kreme 1970's.jpg
    thompson lane tunnel krispy kreme 1970's.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online