TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off-topic, please skip if you're not interested -- I just thought maybe others were wondering, as I was:

OK, I couldn't figure out why we have Krystals in Georgia and Nashville has White Castles --especially since Krystal started out in Chattanooga! So sleuthed it a bit -- thought answer was kind of interesting! Seems Nashville has both!

more at: http://www.cheese-burger.net/stories/krystal-v-white-castle.html

OK, sorry ...carry on!!

there are krystals in nashville since... way before white castle

Excellent find bessie .... WOW .... !!

At first glance I see the vacant lot behind KK ... maybe one tree on it .... then McClain ave ... then across McClain is a building ... and beyond that a much larger vacant lot that almost fits the description of one reporter who said KJ was found in a "heavily treed field behind KK"

Makes me wonder if that is the location ... it would make more sense because it is more remote ..... just a guess .

I tried to look at the 1966 and 1971 versions but it has to be purchased ... depending on the cost I may do that some time next week .... but I want permission to publish it here if they will allow it ..... in the meantime I am away for a day or two

Again I say ... great find bessie .... !!!!!..... we should give you a raise ... !!!!!! :)

I hadn't considered that it was a different field since the address listed (news article)http://www.nashvilleretrospect.com/2009_11.png is 2806 Grandview Avenue. Do you think that address numbers were different in 1969 than they are today?

I hadn't considered that it was a different field since the address listed (news article)http://www.nashvilleretrospect.com/2009_11.png is 2806 Grandview Avenue. Do you think that address numbers were different in 1969 than they are today?

i don't think so. the other ones all match.

this field was just a place to leave her. it was done fast. it didn't need to be that remote.

they wanted her to be found.--- i might have more info on that angle soon.

i don't know why, but they did.

1970's era video driving through the old Thompson Lane Tunnel

Just at the end of the video you can see the Krispy Kreme sign ahead and to the left

I checked all the other youtube videos from that person (he has over 100) but they appear to be all live concert videos except this one

See additional picture below .... it shows the K-Kreme sign

The old Thompson Lane Tunnel / Underpass in Nashville Tennessee - YouTube

thanks for posting the video again...I believe it is the same one I found and posted early in the thread? but at thattime, I guess people didn't have as much context for it.
i

December, I'm sure you've thought about how the "anniversary" of Kathy's murder is coming up next month.

I wonder, with your new contact at LE, if there might be a way you could work some LE/media cooperation and get some coverage for her case around then?

I know you've said the subject has been almost "off limits" in parts of your family in the past. What about now? Do you think the surviving members of your family would be supportive of some coverage, asking for tips, etc.?

ETA: If this happened, maybe a reporter could get busy and round you up a photo or two of Kathy -- even from an elementary school yearbook or something.

yes... I have thought about that.. I will see what the police think, I guess.

the people who were most upset about speaking about it are mostly dead by now.

but, no one likes to talk about it. and no one knows much. it is frustrating. my immediate family wasn't in Nashville then. different ones of us have lived in Nashville, but iI don't think any of us did in 1969.

so, if they want to interview a family member we can not say much. because we do not know.

there are a couple of people who are closer but they only know what they have been told.

but maybe.

it is very hard to explain, really, without going into a long story.

I will try to get info about the search.

here is whaI think is the correct info...

when the search started and why.

names associated with the search mentioned in papers.
i think thee banner talked to the guy who ordered the search so that guy would know those facts. I imagine those were recorded correctly.

there is something else though.. about the fieldI will try to find out i

1970's era video driving through the old Thompson Lane Tunnel

Just at the end of the video you can see the Krispy Kreme sign ahead and to the left

I checked all the other youtube videos from that person (he has over 100) but they appear to be all live concert videos except this one

See additional picture below .... it shows the K-Kreme sign

The old Thompson Lane Tunnel / Underpass in Nashville Tennessee - YouTube

video is from 1984, not the 70s.

this area changes a lot.

I might not be around today.

I wanted to quickly say...

There was a Crescent Drive in on Murfreesboro Rd and Thompson Lane.

there was also a Crescent movie theater downtown on Church Street.

Just in case someone runs across something that just CANNOT be a drive in.. it's the one downtown which was a real live movie theater where they used to even have events and stuff. So, way nicer. I don't know when it closed, but waaaay before my time.

Uh oh... what if someone just assumed she was older based on her friends more than her appearance?

Ripping the liner from her coat to bind her hands behind her back.

You make an excellent point here. Someone could have seen Kathy somewhere with a group of group of friends and mistakenly thought she was older.

I have two questions regarding the physical examination of Kathy’s body.

First, were her hands, wrists, and arms closely examined?

I’m thinking that when she was held captive, something else could have been used to bind her. Something that could have left marks, such as a cord, rope, wire, or maybe a handcuff.

Second, were there any kind of makeup on her face?

but, i believe it would've been closed in december. and there likely would be a fence and so forth to make it hard for people to get in to protect the owner's investment. there is usually some barrier.

I agree with you that there likely would have been some kind of a barrier.

But you have to wonder if her attacker may have been an drive in employee or was someone who was trusted to have a key that enabled access the drive in when it was closed.

I'm not saying that the crime was committed at a closed drive in theater. I'm just considering possible places where the crime could have been committed.

In one of the news articles posted (Nov 2009 Nashville Retrospect), the neighbor reported that she didn't hear anything unusual on the Saturday night (Nov 29). She then says that she was out all day on Sunday visiting family in Hickman County. I've tried to find an address for this neighbor (the article says she lived next door to the empty lot) just to see how close she was to the '20 feet from the alley' site.

Another possibility is that the person living at that house may have been a tennant who rented that house. There could have been rental houses in that area.

Waiting for the LEO to supply some answers to our questions.
Though I will admit I am not as optimistic now as I was earlier on.

From my personal experience they will take information from you.
But as far as confirming or adding to, explaining things etc in reply's is extremely rare in a ongoing investigation such as this.

Though he may just surprise us all with some answers in the future.
If he does he will only do so with approval from the higher ups.

that is interesting.

of course, they keep the lot looking demure these days. those weeds back in the day were some wild weeds, but they may be a type that grows best on soft ground just by what they looked like at ground level (as far as can be told from the photo).

do the trees look old?
There are about 9-10 trees on the right side of the lot (looking from the alley) and they look as though they have been there a long time. I'm not a tree expert but height and the circumference of the trunks give me that idea. The trees are in a straight row which makes me think they were originally planted that way. Below is a link to an aerial view from the alley:

http://goo.gl/maps/DMsOG

You can see there is additional space on the right side of the tree line. There may have been more trees at one time, but I didn't see any evidence of that.

After reading that Kathy attended Woodbine Elementary, I decided to find the school. Unfortunately, it's no longer in the Nashville school system and there was very little info on it. Well....I finally found it! It's currently a health center & Woodbine Community Center and is located at the corner of Burbank Ave & Oriel St. It's about four blocks from Kathy's house.

http://goo.gl/maps/9bXF3

I drove around the building looking for a cornerstone with a year - but to no avail.

After reading that Kathy attended Woodbine Elementary, I decided to find the school. Unfortunately, it's no longer in the Nashville school system and there was very little info on it. Well....I finally found it! It's currently a health center & Woodbine Community Center and is located at the corner of Burbank Ave & Oriel St. It's about four blocks from Kathy's house.

http://goo.gl/maps/9bXF3

I drove around the building looking for a cornerstone with a year - but to no avail.

If you have not tried the new Google maps, heirs a sample from your link.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d698!2d-86.744349!3d36.122289!2m1!1e3&fid=7

You make an excellent point here. Someone could have seen Kathy somewhere with a group of group of friends and mistakenly thought she was older.

I have two questions regarding the physical examination of Kathy’s body.

First, were her hands, wrists, and arms closely examined?

I’m thinking that when she was held captive, something else could have been used to bind her. Something that could have left marks, such as a cord, rope, wire, or maybe a handcuff.

Second, were there any kind of makeup on her face?

I believe her hands and arms were examined, but I do not know the results. I have considered that something may have been added at some point to her bindings and then taken away again. But, I do not know anything definite about that.

She didn't leave the house with make up to my knowledge. Everything I have ever heard, she did not yet use any kind of make up. I don't know if there was makeup on her face when she was found.

I agree with you that there likely would have been some kind of a barrier.

But you have to wonder if her attacker may have been an drive in employee or was someone who was trusted to have a key that enabled access the drive in when it was closed.

I'm not saying that the crime was committed at a closed drive in theater. I'm just considering possible places where the crime could have been committed.

Yes, I understood.

There were drive ins nearby. One near where a known suspect liked to hang around.

These probably would have been closed for the winter. One might have been closed permanently, IDK.

I figure a person who would commit murder would be willing to break into such a place, if they wanted to go there.

Also, someone in comments on either topix or the scene said d. liked to hang around an "abandoned car wash" on Dickerson Rd. Now, I do not know what this car wash was like... but, if there was any enclosed area, that is also a possibility if he is the murderer.

And there is "abandoned" and there is something that is closed for a while that the owner still is interested in and this may be what the murderer was up against and why he moved Kathy's body.

I do think he wanted her to be found because if he didn't, there were place accessible by car, that he could have buried her. There were bodies of water where he could have thrown her. So, he did intend someone to find her and he didn't want it to take very long. I do not know why that would be as opposed to the other way. I am glad we recovered her at least. But, what part all of this plays in the murderer's plans, I don't know.

There are about 9-10 trees on the right side of the lot (looking from the alley) and they look as though they have been there a long time. I'm not a tree expert but height and the circumference of the trunks give me that idea. The trees are in a straight row which makes me think they were originally planted that way. Below is a link to an aerial view from the alley:

http://goo.gl/maps/DMsOG

You can see there is additional space on the right side of the tree line. There may have been more trees at one time, but I didn't see any evidence of that.

thank you for checking out the trees. There may have been some little trees.. saplings they can clutter up an area. but you're right there probably were just the trees there are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx