TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
snipped
It had been searched. They really, really tried to find her from what I can gather. A little of this is in media reports. But, I think they were all very sad because she was not alive. That is really hard for people to take. So, it doesn't come through that the search was carefully conducted.
December, are you saying that the lot was searched prior to Tuesday? That's not in any of the news reports.

snipped
December, are you saying that the lot was searched prior to Tuesday? That's not in any of the news reports.

We don't have all of the news reports though.

But, yes.

Of course, completely understable. Maybe you can request these records for your own eyes?

I think I will have to go there.

But, I will also have to promise not to post anything! Probably.

So, there's that.

They are secretive about this case. Moreso than some others. (based on observation only)

There is a reason for that, but IDK what it is.

According to the Banner article, spectators were kept "away from the immediate death scene" while LE "searched the entire area for clues".

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9dpNu3jLO3tel9ab3o4WHlBYzQ&usp=sharing

When I worked at a newspaper, we had a police scanner.

I imagine the Banner had one.

So, knowing where they were located, it would take 15-20 minutes to load up and drive to Grandview Avenue.

Therefore, I believe when they got there, this is probably what they saw.

Something I've been meaning to mention, the AWRD building was large, at least two stories. In addition to the skating rink, the owner also ran an insulation business at the same location. I read somewhere that the second floor was used for baton twirling classes, too. One would ASSume the entire facility was well-searched, but I think it's a good question to ask if you get the opportunity, December. A building like that could have lots of nooks and crannies.

You are sure about this? I am sending an email to the detective. He is too young to know of the AWRD, probably. so, I will include this info because I thought it was only a skating rink. this changes who might have been hanging around a little bit.

You are sure about this? I am sending an email to the detective. He is too young to know of the AWRD, probably. so, I will include this info because I thought it was only a skating rink. this changes who might have been hanging around a little bit.

http://bhcc.faithsite.com/uploads/6/47525.pdf

Right hand column, second paragraph.

I don't know if I can find the comment about the lessons on the second floor again. I read it on one of the N'ville links somewhere. That part's pretty irrelevant, anyway, so just take it with a grain of salt.

http://bhcc.faithsite.com/uploads/6/47525.pdf

Right hand column, second paragraph.

I don't know if I can find the comment about the lessons on the second floor again. I read it on one of the N'ville links somewhere. That part's pretty irrelevant, anyway, so just take it with a grain of salt.

thank you for the link

well, it looks like it may have been two stories.. I can't tell if there is an upper floor now, but it has been a warehouse and they usually stock almost to the ceiling (what warehouses I've been inside).

well, i have to go..

I have been searching for more newspaper reports. we need something besides what we have, i think. so, i am looking pretty hard again.

but, i will be gone for a while. thank you everyone for your help.

As I continue to look over the color photo of Thompson Lane at Nolensville Rd, I believe it's looking east on Thompson Lane. It appears the Gulf sign is on the lot where White Castle now stands. The road dips at Nolensville Rd and then rises again (which explains why the intersection always floods after a storm). If it was facing west, we would be seeing the KK and possibly the AWRD. Also, Woodlawn Cemetery would be on the right instead of all the trees.

Of course, this is open to speculation and jmo. I will show the photo to others over the weekend to get their opinion. If they think differently, I'll let y'all know.

Attachments

• Nolensville Rd at Thompson Lane.jpg
    Nolensville Rd at Thompson Lane.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 17
That is so great that you have spoken with the detective, he is reading the file, and that there WAS an autopsy!

I wanted to go ahead and post this as I have been looking through old newspapers on ancestry. I can't link, because it is the paid subscription, but will see if I can take a screenshot of the photo of the articles if needed. I was looking for any earlier articles, but the closest I could get was the 3rd and 4th of Dec. Here are just a few paraphrased quotes I wanted to note here (from the Kingsport Times) for the timeline/location.
Dec 3:
*she was found shortly after NOON tuesday
*two strips of the lining of her jacket were used to tie her hands behind her back
*the rest of her clothes were at her feet
*articles were missing from her purse
*foreign particles were on her coat
*woman next door to lot burned trash on Tuesday morning FIFTEEN feet from where Kathy was found. Did not see her (because of tall weeds??)

Dec 4th:
*apparently tortured with a 'razor sharp instrument'
*search started when she failed to call her mother to pick her up from AWRD
*ME says she was sexually assaulted at LEAST 24 hours before her death on Monday

Some of this in new info (to me), so just wanted to include it.
Will see if I can get shots uploaded to Photobucket.

That is so great that you have spoken with the detective, he is reading the file, and that there WAS an autopsy!

I wanted to go ahead and post this as I have been looking through old newspapers on ancestry. I can't link, because it is the paid subscription, but will see if I can take a screenshot of the photo of the articles if needed. I was looking for any earlier articles, but the closest I could get was the 3rd and 4th of Dec. Here are just a few paraphrased quotes I wanted to note here (from the Kingsport Times) for the timeline/location.
Dec 3:
*she was found shortly after NOON tuesday
*two strips of the lining of her jacket were used to tie her hands behind her back
*the rest of her clothes were at her feet
*articles were missing from her purse
*foreign particles were on her coat
*woman next door to lot burned trash on Tuesday morning FIFTEEN feet from where Kathy was found. Did not see her (because of tall weeds??)

Dec 4th:
*apparently tortured with a 'razor sharp instrument'
*search started when she failed to call her mother to pick her up from AWRD
*ME says she was sexually assaulted at LEAST 24 hours before her death on Monday

Some of this in new info (to me), so just wanted to include it.
Will see if I can get shots uploaded to Photobucket.

Thank you for these summaries.

I can't believe someone burned trash in that weedy lot. It is a miracle she didn't set the whole thing on fire. But, this does kind of show people felt free to go into the lot for various purposes.

Interesting that items were missing from her purse. i wonder what? i am trying to think of what she more than likely would've placed in her purse. she probably had a change purse or maybe a wallet. within whichever she had (and she could've owned both, who knows) would be her RD token(s) and her $1. she may've put photos of her family and friends in there (i know i traded photos with my friends, so..). maybe a few photos of herself for trading.

idk what else... house keys? a mirror? a comb?

e t a
a high quality knife might be 'razor sharp'. katana are always that sharp. but, those are very long so he couldn't carry such a thing with him. these japaJapanese have some short swords that are almost as good.

many, many Japanese weapons were brought back after ww2 some other weapons might also be sharp though,

MrsTigglesworth...:takeabow:

I did read something in one of the articles we have here that, while it did not spell it out, does support the idea that at least some people were looking for her Saturday night in an organized manner.

from what i understand, the civil patrol were vvolunteers. but, they did keep track of where they searched and when they searched. probably just for practical reasons to know what places had been looked at and what had not. (all of these records the police have... I don't know a ton of details about them, but iI have a good idea about some things)

I wonder what they mean about 'foreign particles' on her coat. the police still have a bunch of her stuff (maybe everything). but, for sure, they would have kept her coat if it had something odd on it.

http://www.library.nashville.org/locations/loc_thompsonln.asp

The library (which is at the corner of Thompson Lane and Nolensville Rd) has been there since 1965. it was renovated in 2000.

so one of the items that MIGHT have been in Kathy's purse... a library card.

in an earlier post (not mine) that had a photo there are some stairs and I said maybe those go to the library... they do NOT. that's the park. the library is beside it. still this library was there in Kathy's time. this paragraph has been changed. i was wrong about the steps.

^^edited

An article about a few snags during racial integration from 1968
I do not feel it has any relevance to this thread ... it's just Roller Drome trivia I came across in old newspapers
And it does tell us there was an eating facility there too

Attachments

• roller rink article 1968.JPG
    roller rink article 1968.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 19
An article about a few snags during racial integration from 1968
I do not feel it has any relevance to this thread ... it's just Roller Drome trivia I came across in old newspapers
And it does tell us there was an eating facility there too
I came across the lawsuit awhile back and for about five minutes considered the possibility of a racially motivated crime. Had the murder occurred prior to the suit when tension was high, I might have given it a little more thought. But afterward, nah, and none of the facts we know support the notion in any way. It is of interest, however, because it adds to the backdrop, and as you said, confirms that refreshments were served.

Here's the link, btw.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pOVfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=HAMGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6702,2360891

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne