TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information.

I didn't find him on findagrave, but I realize that just means he hasn't been entered. He could still be dead.

Of course, the police no longer think he killed Kathy. I just think he could have, but I haven't seen the police files.

P.S. I really appreciate you tracking that down.

No problem. You are very welcome. I didn't actually find his grave listed, only his name mentioned as him being deceased in his late wife's obituary. Plus, being in Putnam County, it is surely the same Edward Warner Adkins.

ETA: forgot to mention that his name is also on the bronze marker attached to the rock, but without a death date. It does show his birth year as 1926.

I show him as deceased in 2003 on ancestry. (Birthdate 1926).

I have been reading along and hope you find some answers for your cousin ...

At the public library, look to see if there were any weekly community or neighborhood newspapers that were published back then in the Woodbine area where Kathy lived. Sometimes a community or weekly newspaper may have info about a crime that happened in a particular area or neighborhood.

The public library should have a news index book for each year for the Nashville newspapers. The news index book would have newspaper articles listed by name and subject. That would be a good way to look for any newspaper articles about Kathy's murder in 1969 and after 1969.

The news index would also let you look into news articles about the other girls that were murdered in the Nashville area around that time frame.

I would look for patterns, such as the other girls ages, hair color, time of day or week they disappeared or murdered, what side of the city they lived, were they going somewhere by themselves, etc.

I was taking a good look at the map that Bessie provided up thread for everyone. I was thinking about possible areas where Kathy could have been abducted.

The big question here is what route would Kathy have taken to get to the roller skating rink from her home. I wonder if there were short cuts that Kathy could have taken to get there.

Looking at the map, Kathy could have walked on Grandview Ave rather than Nolensville Pike.

And as she walked on Grandview, could she have taken McClain Ave and then Landers Ave to reach the skating rink?

Were there any businesses or residences on Grandview, McClain, or Landers back then?

Were they any stores along the way where Kathy may have looked at merchandise in store front windows?

What about Coleman Park? Did that park exist in 1969?

Could she went thru Coleman Park as she was going home, using the park as a short cut to reach Foster Ave, and then take Foster to reach Lutie Street?

I'm thinking that there had to be lots of traffic on Nolensville Pike and Thompson Lane, and probably unlikely that she would be forced into a vehicle without being seen.

I'm thinking that if Kathy was forced into a vehicle, it has to be on a street with less traffic.

If Kathy was abducted at the roller rink, she could have been abducted from where it couldn't be seen, perhaps at the side or behind the roller skating rink.

I do see railroad tracks west of the roller skating rink. I'm thinking that it had to be a rail yard. I think it's very doubtful that hobos were anywhere near the rail yard or neighborhood.

I do believe that Kathy was abducted somewhere in the area from Lutie Street to Thompson Lane, and from the railroad tracks to Foster Ave.

Finally finished reading the entire thread. Whew!

I am wondering if we can explore the significance of the sock a little bit more. I wonder why the perp cut it in half? Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, do you know if Kathy took an extra pair of socks with her to the skating rink? When my kids go skating, they don't like to wear long socks. The only put the long socks on when they arrive at the rink. They wear normal length socks to and from the rink.

Another thought on Alcox. The police indicated he had confessed to a lot of bad things, but not to killing Kathy. A lot of pedophiles believe the child actually wants them. If it was Alcox, I wonder if Kathy put up more of a fight than most and made it clear she didn't want him. Perhaps after it was over, Alcox realized he went too far. When asked about it, Kathy was not a child he had groomed and gotten away with it. Maybe he saw her little body and realized he went to far. I wonder how detailed his confession actually was? And I wonder if it contained details not released to the public.

Re: the creepy step uncle - Was he around much? Did he live in the area? I'm just questioning how likely it was the uncle happened upon her and offered her a ride vs. the bus driver.

Along the lines of whether her money was missing, I wonder if there was a donut in her stomach content? Oh wait, there was no autopsy so we wouldn't know that. Sorry.

December - please post what the police will tell you. I hope it at least includes a timeline and where she was actually spotted after leaving the house.

No problem. You are very welcome. I didn't actually find his grave listed, only his name mentioned as him being deceased in his late wife's obituary. Plus, being in Putnam County, it is surely the same Edward Warner Adkins.

ETA: forgot to mention that his name is also on the bronze marker attached to the rock, but without a death date. It does show his birth year as 1926.

Thank you. That does work out to being 51 in 1977, so I guess it's definitely him then.

I show him as deceased in 2003 on ancestry. (Birthdate 1926).

I have been reading along and hope you find some answers for your cousin ...

Thank you for the additional info about Adcox.

Also, thank you for the kind words.

At the public library, look to see if there were any weekly community or neighborhood newspapers that were published back then in the Woodbine area where Kathy lived. Sometimes a community or weekly newspaper may have info about a crime that happened in a particular area or neighborhood.

The public library should have a news index book for each year for the Nashville newspapers. The news index book would have newspaper articles listed by name and subject. That would be a good way to look for any newspaper articles about Kathy's murder in 1969 and after 1969.

The news index would also let you look into news articles about the other girls that were murdered in the Nashville area around that time frame.

I would look for patterns, such as the other girls ages, hair color, time of day or week they disappeared or murdered, what side of the city they lived, were they going somewhere by themselves, etc.

That is a good idea about a community newspaper. There might have been such a thing.

I was taking a good look at the map that Bessie provided up thread for everyone. I was thinking about possible areas where Kathy could have been abducted.

The big question here is what route would Kathy have taken to get to the roller skating rink from her home. I wonder if there were short cuts that Kathy could have taken to get there.

Looking at the map, Kathy could have walked on Grandview Ave rather than Nolensville Pike.

And as she walked on Grandview, could she have taken McClain Ave and then Landers Ave to reach the skating rink?

Were there any businesses or residences on Grandview, McClain, or Landers back then?

Were they any stores along the way where Kathy may have looked at merchandise in store front windows?

What about Coleman Park? Did that park exist in 1969?

Could she went thru Coleman Park as she was going home, using the park as a short cut to reach Foster Ave, and then take Foster to reach Lutie Street?

I'm thinking thathere had to be lots of traffic on Nolensville Pike and Thompson Lane, and probably unlikely that she would be forced into a vehicle without being seen.

I'm thinking that if Kathy was forced into a vehicle, it has to be on a street with less traffic.

If Kathy was abducted at the roller rink, she could have been abducted from where it couldn't be seen, perhaps at the side or behind the roller skating rink.

I do see railroad tracks west of the roller skating rink. I'm thinking that it had to be a rail yard. I think it's very doubtful that hobos were anywhere near the rail yard or neighborhood.

I do believe that Kathy was abducted somewhere in the area from Lutie Street to Thompson Lane, and from the railroad tracks to Foster Ave.

I didn't look at that map. I did not think that it would be any different than the one I'd been trying to do (owas phone) except a long route because she did driving. I was doing walking.

Anyway, I didn't realize Kathy had to walk on Nolensville. It might have been a lot different in 1969, but as of the late 80s Nolensville had a lot of very heavy traffic.

I also didn't realize until recently the lot she was found on wasGrandview... so this is interesting. what if she was taken from grand view and left on grand view?

I don't know if there were businesses on some of those streets or what kind of businesses there might have been. There would be stores on Nolensville though...

I know the part that is in Woodbine neighborhood has been mostly houses for a while as those houses have been there a long time.

I'll look up Coleman park and see what I can find out about it.

Interesting thought about the RR tracks. You never know. Train slows down... hobos get off. Maybe that intersection was good for panhandling? (No wait, cops). Maybe they could sleep in the park?

Finally finished reading the entire thread. Whew!

I am wondering if we can explore the significance of the sock a little bit more. I wonder why the perp cut it in half? Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, do you know if Kathy took an extra pair of socks with her to the skating rink? When my kids go skating, they don't like to wear long socks. The only put the long socks on when they arrive at the rink. They wear normal length socks to and from the rink.

Another thought on Alcox. The police indicated he had confessed to a lot of bad things, but not to killing Kathy. A lot of pedophiles believe the child actually wants them. If it was Alcox, I wonder if Kathy put up more of a fight than most and made it clear she didn't want him. Perhaps after it was over, Alcox realized he went too far. When asked about it, Kathy was not a child he had groomed and gotten away with it. Maybe he saw her little body and realized he went to far. I wonder how detailed his confession actually was? And I wonder if it contained details not released to the public.

Re: the creepy step uncle - Was he around much? Did he live in the area? I'm just questioning how likely it was the uncle happened upon her and offered her a ride vs. the bus driver.

Along the lines of whether her money was missing, I wonder if there was a donut in her stomach content? Oh wait, there was no autopsy so we wouldn't know that. Sorry.

December - please post what the police will tell you. I hope it at least includes a timeline and where she was actually spotted after leaving the house.

The sock was a bobby sock. The skates were just roller skates, so I don't know if they need any kind of special socks because I don't think they have to be laced as tight as ice skates.

The police talked to Adcox over a period of years.

The scenario you're suggesting with the sep uncle offering her the ride instead is I guess what put the police's attention on him..

I don't know much about this individual. He's no related to me, for example.

I also don't know how much he was around Kathy. Even if he wasn't around her house much (speculating), he was around the neigborhood neighborhood.

Anything they say I can post, I definitely will.

I speculated that maybe Kathy started swallowing the sock. She also could have bitten it in half (maybe) or maybe all of it wouldn't fit in her mouth?

Sorry I haven't been around as much... I'm kind of sick and fell asleep. Thank you for the really insightful comments.

Coleman Park is inconclusive. There is a rec center there now which I feel can't have been then. But was the park? IDK.

also, 440 wasn't even thought of yet in 1969. So, you have to pretend it's not there.

I looked at the map step by step... 99 percent of the businesses are changed so I just don't know. I think there was some retail at least on Nolensville that may have been interesting.

This case is solvable. Kathy needs US to help find her killer. Is there anything I can do December?

This case is solvable. Kathy needs US to help find her killer. Is there anything I can do December?

I don't know.. My sleuthing skills are not so great.

I believe that Adcox is the key. I might be wrong about this, but I think he and his rollerdrome bus have some part in all of this. Or maybe he was just an information source.

Somehow, he convinced the police he was not the murder (after they pursued him for eight years). Therefore, he had to have known something. I know the police polygraphed him and others. But, I believe those were old school polygraphs.

What I need to find out:

Kathy's route: what was along it other than the places she as specifically going. Nerosleuth had an excellent idea about the businesses. I looked at the route in street view, but it has changed so much since then... I don't know what was there then except for the Krispy Kreme.

I do have a memory of once being sent to a trophy shop on Nolensville Road and it was very near Thompson Lane. It looked like it'd been there a long time. It's gone now. But, it is possible a trophy shop was one of the things along her route.

The only other thing along the route that might have been there is an Italian restaurant. I can't remember the name. It was on the other side of the intersection of Nolensville Road and Thompson Lane. It had to move out because of junk they were doing to the road, but I ate there in the 90s and it looked pretty old. It as real Italian food, too, so I was sorry to see it go.

Coleman Park: I am having some difficulty in figuring out when this became a thing. I do know for a fact that the rec center is since Kathy's time as I found current architects in Nashville saying they worked on it. However, that doesn't mean that something was there that served that purpose (only not as fancy). ALSO, even if the park wasn't officially there.. maybe the land was empty?

Being that it was Thanksgiving Weekend, it could be that there were transients in town going to see people they knew or whatever and Kathy happened upon someone. I know that flies in the face of these familiar figures around town being involved, but it is a possiblity. There is a lot of trasnportation in that area and things were changing (as in the physical landscape), so there may have been things that people weren't quite aware of in their midst.

I have to continue on to see if I can find an old map that perhaps lets me know what was in that area at that time.

I did find out there were still some old houses around that were nice houses at one time. They were long gone by the time I lived in Nashville, but anyone who knew South Nashville and had a car might be able to find them.

I think they had an out of the way place, but not too far away. Just somewhere the police didn't check all of the time. Someplace that wasn't really in their thoughts for some reason.

I have to think that wherever Adcox lived, the police took a look at his dwelling to see if there was blood or signs of a clean up or signs that someone had been tied up. IDK, but it seems logical. Wherever this actually was it was somewhere they didn't know to look.

I looked up what it is like to exhume a person who has been buried as long. It really varies. For some they can do an autopsy and get a lot of results. For some, it's a mess. For some, it's bones. Where Kathy is, I don't think she would be subjected to a lot of water getting into her grave. I'll just leave it at that.

I need to find the articles that ran at the time.

And I do need to call the police, I was sick today and I didn't do it...

Thank you for everyone helping.

December, don't lose hope! Go here and look at the cases solved by our members, or had a hand in solving it.

Matches & Resolved - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thank you for posting that.

This does seem to be one of the places where people do try to think of angles and sleuth out some answers.

We're kind of hampered by only having some media reports.

As can be seen from the Nashville Banner article reprinted in the Nashville Retrospective, some media reports are kind of ... strange. They seem to have been laboring under the assumption she died the same day she disappeared (she died the next day) and that it all took place behind the Krispy Kreme (it can't have done so, people would have seen). So, I don't know if that person had scant information and just made up the rest or what happened.

I will see if I can get some definite things from the police.

That is a good idea about a community newspaper. There might have been such a thing.

I need to add to my reply to Nerosleuth's post...

I found out that before the area was called Woodbine, it was called Flatrock. There seems to be a revivial of the name among current community boosters.

As far as girls that might match Kathy.. I do wonder about that. I wonder if the other girls perhaps weren't killed. This is why I think it is possible that there were several preps. They did a worse thing to Kathy than they individually did normally and, thus, killed her. Because, although there are other murders, I don't think there are other ones like Kathy's. So, either they didn't find the girls or the girls they found were done by only one of the group.

The community directory is a good idea... I am also looking into the history of the area a little. I have discovered that Thompson Lane has not always been as I know it. They've rearranged it a few times over the decades.

I did find a sex offender in Nashville whose name matches what I believe to be the POI the police had. He has a conviction in 1992. He was born in 1947. This makes him 22 at the time Kathy died.

I wonder....

And he looks familiar.

Can I post his info?

ETA

Wait.. all I did to find him was type his name (which has been more or less given a few times) and Nashville. He was on the first page. He is a RSO in Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3