Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was sure that someone asked about a PM photo earlier in this thread and was told that she was facially unrecognizable "because her head was blown off" (sorry to be graphic). But I can't find those posts now, so I must be thinking of a different Doe.

Sorry if she's already been mentioned, but what about Janelle Ledford? She's much shorter, but she disappeared in March 1987, so the timeline works. Brown hair, brown eyes, just below the age range, and from SC, although I know the new isotope testing suggests other states. Thoughts?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/ledford_janelle.html

I think she looks like her facially. But the stats are pretty off. It could be worth a shot, though.

The height could possibly be a mistake. A height of 4'6 would technically make her a little person.

I see the resemblance, even if there's no mention in JL's profile of the medical hardware that Jane Doe had.

Re: the height listed in JL's profile. This site shows a photo of her holding a refrigerator door and standing in front of a stove:

http://www.yorkcrimestoppers.com/missing.aspx

Assuming that's a standard-size refrigerator, she looks like she's much taller than four and a half feet. My fridge is five and a half feet tall and in the photo, she's about the same height as that fridge.

I measured my standard-size stove and the range top is three feet high. Assuming the stove in the photo is also a standard size, she looks much more than a foot and a half taller than it is.

Side by side of Shot gun Jane Doe and Janelle Ledford... I agree with the above posts and I think her height is wrong.... and she was just added to Charley Project yesterday...
As far as all the medical hardware that was found in Shotgun, maybe if this is Janelle, it was something that wasn't reported as a physical description for her.

607UFTN.jpgJanelle Ledford.jpg

I see the resemblance, even if there's no mention in JL's profile of the medical hardware that Jane Doe had.

Re: the height listed in JL's profile. This site shows a photo of her holding a refrigerator door and standing in front of a stove:

http://www.yorkcrimestoppers.com/missing.aspx

Assuming that's a standard-size refrigerator, she looks like she's much taller than four and a half feet. My fridge is five and a half feet tall and in the photo, she's about the same height as that fridge.

I measured my standard-size stove and the range top is three feet high. Assuming the stove in the photo is also a standard size, she looks much more than a foot and a half taller than it is.

I was thinking the same thing about the fridge.

Thanks for the input, guys! I agree about the height possibly being wrong. I'll submit Janelle today.

Update: I submitted Janelle Ledford to Amy Dobbs and also submitted SGJD's information to the York Crimestoppers page. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

4'6" is 54 inches. Maybe she's 5'4" and it was incorrectly converted.

[video=youtube;V32aqTZwzpg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V32aqTZwzpg[/video] found a good video on this case.

I know it's a bit "out there" but, I'm wondering if it's possible that this girl is Rose Lena Cole who went missing from CA when she was a teenager?

Jane Doe's picture when she was 14 years old is very similar to Rose's picture I think, and they are both around the same height/weight range.
She has been missing for a long time, so it's possible that she got all those fractures during the time she went missing-same with the tattoo.

I can't do a side by side...but here is Rose's page. What do you think?
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/cole_rose.html

I am still pretty new to all of this sleuthing, so I am probably way off the mark here.

Rose went missing in 1972-73 (date not clear). Shotgun Jane died June 1, 1987. 15 years is a VERY long time to be floating around the country doing whatever. According to the CP link, Rose told the judge she was both selling and using drugs when she was in court right before her disappearance at age 15-16.

True, 15 years is a very long time to be going around.
Although anything is possible right?
It's probably a long shot though, however I thought it would do no harm mentioning her as a possible match.

I couldn't sleep and so I was looking up more potential matches for this JD, I came across this girl-Sherry Jean pickle.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pickle_sherry.html

Sherry is around the same height as Amethyst Jane Doe, and they both look similar around the mouth and chin area.
Sherry previously fractured her ankle before she went missing, and Jane Doe fractured her tibiae (would tibiae include the ankle or just specifically the shin bone?).

Again, just like Rose, Sherry went missing in 1972, which is a long time before Amethyst Jane Doe was found, plus foul play was suspected in her disappearance..so this goes against her being a potential match perhaps?

Anyway...even though there are one or two things off, I think that they really look alike-especially around the teeth and the chin area.
What do you think?

I think you might have the wrong thread, ArtsyOwl. This is "Shotgun" Jane Doe's thread, not Amethyst.

Oh I could have sworn that Shotgun JD, was also called Amethyst JD...I didn't realise that they were two different cases. I feel rather silly now!

I am so sorry, my mistake. Thanks for the heads up. I was talking about Shotgun JD as possibly being a match for Sherry, not Amethyst JD.

Okay, gotcha. I don't follow Amethyst so I didn't have an opinion on that match. For this one, though -- this looks much more probable than Rose.

I did a side by side of Sherry and this JD, and they do have considerable facial resemblance in the parts of the face we're most sure of. Also the ears. The stats are good. They say they suspect foul play, but the options they mention for where she might have gone sound more like a voluntary departure.

And she could have gone anywhere. They didn't check ID much in 1972 and hitching rides was common and generally fairly safe. She could have gone to live in a commune, gotten married, found a job waiting tables or cleaning motel rooms if she didn't have any other skills. So I don't see the long time span as necessarily a problem. And it's plenty of time for her to have acquired the other injuries.

Attachments

• shotgun JD with Sherry Pickle.png
    shotgun JD with Sherry Pickle.png
    90.5 KB · Views: 58

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members