Identified! TN - Knox Co, 'Shotgun Jane Doe' WhtFem 607UFTN, 21-30, Jun'87 - Tena Marie Gattrell

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Truthfully, I hope not. The top of her head was blown off by the shotgun....

I rhought that too carbuff, but I've heard that she had a recognisable face, and that her pm photos weren't too bad. But I dunno!

I rhought that too carbuff, but I've heard that she had a recognisable face, and that her pm photos weren't too bad. But I dunno!

Someone up thread swears they saw a PM photo for this Doe on Wikipedia or something but as far as I know, no photos have ever been released. I also recall someone (Carl?) saying that part of her head had been blown off.

I'm 100% sure people were confusing her with another Jane Doe who had reddish curly/wavy hair and was also killed with a shotgun blast. That particular Doe had two separate recons but the extent of her wounds meant they were both at weird angles and didn't look much like a real person IMO. Someone with a better memory can probably come up with the exact case.

The recon for this girl was done by a forensics student using a 3D scan of her skull, IIRC.

I'm 100% sure people were confusing her with another Jane Doe who had reddish curly/wavy hair and was also killed with a shotgun blast. That particular Doe had two separate recons but the extent of her wounds meant they were both at weird angles and didn't look much like a real person IMO. Someone with a better memory can probably come up with the exact case.

The recon for this girl was done by a forensics student using a 3D scan of her skull, IIRC.

That other girl sounds like the girl with the 'angel baby' tattoo but I could be wrong. With that particular girl, I think no pm was released because her fave was horribly damaged. I just wonder about this doe because doenet says recognisable face

That other girl sounds like the girl with the 'angel baby' tattoo but I could be wrong. With that particular girl, I think no pm was released because her fave was horribly damaged. I just wonder about this doe because doenet says recognisable face

I think this is a good example of why there needs to be a "Too damaged" description, because "Unrecognizable" on Doe tends to mean decomposed.

Update: I submitted Janelle Ledford to Amy Dobbs and also submitted SGJD's information to the York Crimestoppers page. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

FiveFelines,
Have you ever hears back about Janelle Ledford being ruled out?

FiveFelines,
Have you ever hears back about Janelle Ledford being ruled out?

Not yet. She did respond right away to acknowledge my email and said she would look into it. I'll circle back with her after the holiday.

yes that one was in Yuma az I believe. I think her face was too damaged plus it looks like it"settled" face down at an angle so the two profiles of her face are crooked.

Okay, gotcha. I don't follow Amethyst so I didn't have an opinion on that match. For this one, though -- this looks much more probable than Rose.

I did a side by side of Sherry and this JD, and they do have considerable facial resemblance in the parts of the face we're most sure of. Also the ears. The stats are good. They say they suspect foul play, but the options they mention for where she might have gone sound more like a voluntary departure.

And she could have gone anywhere. They didn't check ID much in 1972 and hitching rides was common and generally fairly safe. She could have gone to live in a commune, gotten married, found a job waiting tables or cleaning motel rooms if she didn't have any other skills. So I don't see the long time span as necessarily a problem. And it's plenty of time for her to have acquired the other injuries.

Thank you so much for the reply Carbuff, and also for the side by side photos. It is so true, she could have gone anywhere indeed.

They do sure look alike, and I wouldn't mind suggesting this person as a possible match to the LE, except I am not sure
how to go about it. I know some of you have closer links with LE, maybe one of you could call it in? If it's not too much trouble?

Update on my submission of Janelle Ledford from Det. Amy Dobbs:

At this time the case for Janelle Ledford isn’t entered into NamUs and we do not have any biometrics for her to compare with. Without having the biometrics to compare I can’t say either way.

Since nothing is documented on Janelle’s case about her having a tattoo and injuries to her leg (screw and rode) I would say it is highly unlikely they are a match.

Hi Everyone,

I have been going through her NamUs profile, and any other articles I can find. A few things stood out to me that I don't think have been mentioned here before.

First, her autopsy report is available at http://web.knoxnews.com/pdf/2009/112909autopsyweb01.pdf.

-She had a blood alcohol level of 0.13% at the time of the autopsy.

-The old healed sugical incision on her abdomen was "probable pelvic inflammatory disease". This means she might not have given birth. Consistent with pelvic inflammatory disease, the remark, "both left and right ovaries are plastered to the pelvis with adhesions and the right ovary is enlarged measuring approximately 4.0 x 3.0 x 2.0 cm. It contains several blood-filled cysts."

-Also, the autopsy report indicated that she was 45kg. That's only 95lbs. NamUs states 120lbs. That 25lb difference is very noticable on a female with a 5'4" frame.

Second, in the following article, http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local/jane-doe-from-1987-is-still-a-mystery-ep-409297099-359065771.html Sgt. Perry Moyers of KCSO's Cold Case Squad told the paper that,
The two men fled but were later arrested. The only clue they offered to Jane Doe's identity, Moyers said, was that "Tina" and "Illinois" came up during their conversations.

"But we don't know the context of that, if it means she was Tina from Illinois, or she was going to Illinois to see a Tina, or something else," Moyers said.

Either way, "Tina" does not match with the amateurish tattoo "BH" on her upper left arm.

It should be noted that the tattoo of the initials "B.H." doesn't necessarily indicate those are her initials. They could be the initials of a parent, relative, friend, boyfriend, or even a crude brand, which some "pimps" have been known to do to mark their "property."

Third, As for the mention of "Tina" and "Illinois", I think that's noteworthy. The updated isotope test did indicate that she was from the following states: PA, NJ, OH, MI, IN, IL, MN, MD, WV, VA.

The isotope analysis determines where a human has been, based on the variants of a particular chemical element, and these particular isotopes remain "steady" over time.

Even if she was lying about her name, we now know that she could have been from Illinois. She may have lived in all of those states. If she's only in her mid-20's, there's a possibility that she was an "army brat", picking up biological matter, that is present in the test, in those states.

Thoughts?

Hi Everyone,

I have been going through her NamUs profile, and any other articles I can find. A few things stood out to me that I don't think have been mentioned here before.

First, her autopsy report is available at http://web.knoxnews.com/pdf/2009/112909autopsyweb01.pdf.

-She had a blood alcohol level of 0.13% at the time of the autopsy.

-The old healed sugical incision on her abdomen was "probable pelvic inflammatory disease". This means she might not have given birth. Consistent with pelvic inflammatory disease, the remark, "both left and right ovaries are plastered to the pelvis with adhesions and the right ovary is enlarged measuring approximately 4.0 x 3.0 x 2.0 cm. It contains several blood-filled cysts."

-Also, the autopsy report indicated that she was 45kg. That's only 95lbs. NamUs states 120lbs. That 25lb difference is very noticable on a female with a 5'4" frame.

Second, in the following article, http://www.knoxnews.com/news/local/jane-doe-from-1987-is-still-a-mystery-ep-409297099-359065771.html Sgt. Perry Moyers of KCSO's Cold Case Squad told the paper that,
The two men fled but were later arrested. The only clue they offered to Jane Doe's identity, Moyers said, was that "Tina" and "Illinois" came up during their conversations.

"But we don't know the context of that, if it means she was Tina from Illinois, or she was going to Illinois to see a Tina, or something else," Moyers said.

Either way, "Tina" does not match with the amateurish tattoo "BH" on her upper left arm.

It should be noted that the tattoo of the initials "B.H." doesn't necessarily indicate those are her initials. They could be the initials of a parent, relative, friend, boyfriend, or even a crude brand, which some "pimps" have been known to do to mark their "property."

Third, As for the mention of "Tina" and "Illinois", I think that's noteworthy. The updated isotope test did indicate that she was from the following states: PA, NJ, OH, MI, IN, IL, MN, MD, WV, VA.

The isotope analysis determines where a human has been, based on the variants of a particular chemical element, and these particular isotopes remain "steady" over time.

Even if she was lying about her name, we now know that she could have been from Illinois. She may have lived in all of those states. If she's only in her mid-20's, there's a possibility that she was an "army brat", picking up biological matter, that is present in the test, in those states.

Thoughts?

Welcome to WS! I agree the autopsy report needs to be looked at. I used to get aggravated when LE would say hysterectomy scar, because the autopsy said she still had everything. There was a forensic expert that looked at her remains; she had evidence of a baby dropping down the birth canal.

Welcome to WS! I agree the autopsy report needs to be looked at. I used to get aggravated when LE would say hysterectomy scar, because the autopsy said she still had everything. There was a forensic expert that looked at her remains; she had evidence of a baby dropping down the birth canal.

Are you saying this TN Jane had a baby that dropped down to the birth canal? Or was it an example from another case? If our case, where was that information found?

Are you saying this TN Jane had a baby that dropped down to the birth canal? Or was it an example from another case? If our case, where was that information found?

I'm out; look at the first hundred posts; one by MadeaBecBec called pertinent info. A forensic anthropologist had examined her bones; said the pelvis showed signs that she had previously given birth. Its thought that the baby got stuck; they had to do a c section.

I'm out; look at the first hundred posts; one by MadeaBecBec called pertinent info. A forensic anthropologist had examined her bones; said the pelvis showed signs that she had previously given birth. Its thought that the baby got stuck; they had to do a c section.

Thank you! I was getting confused, and thought I had misread Madea's post.

Yeehaw!!! :woohoo: I finally spoke with Det. Moyers, with Knox County Sheriffs Office, very friendly and accomodating fella! He says the men that Jane was with, one was an older (around 60) man(the vehicle belonged to him) and he had been driven by the younger man (in his late 20's) back to TN. from KY. and the vehicle was not at this home at the time of Janes shooting. The older man had a business not far from the home where Jane was shot. The building they(Jane and men) originally were at, was a place they (the men) would sometimes party at. The men picked Jane up at a Rest Area (just off exit 4)about 4-5 hours the evening before, to give her a ride, however she agreed to "party" with them, so the men took her with them to this building. At the time that they picked her up, the men said she appeared to be high(the Detective will get back to me on toxicology report) and later she started acting even more strange and took off, the younger man, caught up with her and talked her into coming back to the building, it was late, the younger man tells her that she could get arrested or SHOT roaming around this particular neighborhood, as it was off the beaten path and the folks around there all had guns and were VERY protective of their property. Jane remained at the building awhile and then just went berserk, the younger man says, for no "reason" and takes off again on foot, the younger goes after her again, Jane ends up at this house, the younger is arguing with her about coming back to the building, Janes wraps her arms around a post on the porch and tells him, she is not leaving the home, so he turns to head back to the building, Jane is screaming at him, Homeowner gets awakened, Homeowner calls 911 and arms themselves, at the same time yelling through the door that she (homeowner) is armed and calling the Sheriff, younger man yells back, CALL them, I can't do anything with her and continues to walk away, all this can be heard on the 911 tape, Homeowner then says Jane is trying to come through the door, kicking on the door, Homeowner tells Jane, Stop or I'll shoot, Jane doesn't stop and gets shot. The investigators came to the conclusion that Jane was having a "mental" episode before being picked up and during her time with these men.

Jane's clothes were dingy and believed to have been worn for days, the men had given her the Dolphins shirt and the pants she was wearing were well-worn and thin. This younger man had a lengthy criminal record, but nothing violent, mostly petty theft and misdemeanors. The younger man was originally charged with attempted burglary to get him to come back in and give an interview with Detectives, charges were dropped after he cooperated with the investigation. So, no trial for either men. The men do not recall if Jane ever told them her name......

Jane's body details; the Tattoo was homemade, black inked "BJ" (that kind of struck me-Barbara Jean???)and she had given birth at least once, one being a caesarean section, possibly emergency type caesarean, as pelvic bones showed the markings of attempted "normal" birthing. The anthropologist that examined Jane's bones, stated the injuries appeared to be from jumping off of a buildingor high structure, Vertebrae crushed, lower tibias (ankles) being damaged, clavicle (collarbone) fracture and fibula (calf bone) fracture, so Jane may have attempted suicide or had been an athlete (possibly gymnastics) of some sort... The metal plate inserted in fibula did NOT have a serial number on it!
Jane had good teeth and good dental hygiene, no cavities and fairly straight, she did grind her teeth some. Her dentals are available now and DNA is being processed. They have her fingerprints and ran them through AFIS, nothing. However, if Jane had a juvenile record and the Investigators had an idea of where she was from, they could try to match fingerprints that way as juveniles fingerprints are NOT entered into the system, unless tried and convicted as an adult criminal....
Detective Moyers welcomes all viable matches, as they have had few leads on this Jane. I asked Det. Moyers if there had been any festivals or concerts in the area, the week or two before Janes death, NO was the answer to that. Investigators believe Jane was hitch-hiking via truckers/travelers before arriving at the rest area and is not from TN.

Pearly; Barbara Jean looks so close to Jane, I say, SUBMIT her! Strange things happen all the time! If this Jane was on pain meds because of her injuries, that very well could be a reason she was "mental" and it's possible Barbara Jean was injured during an escape, hospitalized, became confused/amnesiatic and wondered around, I have imagined some crazy theories...... Moore Jr, could've told the "story" of Barabara Jeans murder, staged the roped cinder block in the lake, hoping that he would receive the reward money!

Pearly; Billie Jean Hall, Patricia Louise Kelly and June Carpenter Gilkerson have been ruled out, correct?

Found it. You really should take time to read the whole thread as there's been a lot of work done

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...em-607UFTN-21-30-Jun-87&p=3611051#post3611051

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back