Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing that makes me furious is all the school had to do was monitor their IG account and they would see exactly what was going on. Heck it didn't take us but a couple of minutes to understand how troubled she is and how she feels about her "best friend". Seems that would be part of a complete and thorough investigation.

Seems to me this is a bit of a reach, to suggest the school board should be monitoring student's SM accounts.

Seems to me this is a bit of a reach, to suggest the school board should be monitoring student's SM accounts.

There was an investigation going on. Even the police were involved. There is no reason why the instagram, facebook and other accounts were not part of the investigation.

I hope Elizabeth's father sues the school board and everyone involved.

Just wanted to say, this hit our local CBS news station this morning here in Central Texas. About a 30 second spot with pix of the Nissan Rogue and both parties involved.

Something just isn't adding up for me either, Mom. Obviously, TC has crossed teacher/student boundaries here...even before the kidnapping. But I'm just not entirely sold on the fact that he's a sexual predator. I can't help but wonder what was going on in this young girl's house, and whether we might have a "hero syndrome" going on here.

(Watch me get flamed! LOL!)

I would certainly never flame you!
I do think it's important to point out, that the TBI has said they are very concerned about her safety, as there is evidence he manipulated her for sexual exploitation. They have no reason to embellish that, IMO...and those are definitely words that would define a predator preying on a vulnerable juvenile. I think they've made it pretty clear that he has VERY dangerous intentions with her. All JMO.
http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-sto...5-year-old-abducted-by-her-teacher-/502650036
"The organization said investigative efforts have revealed a troubling pattern of behavior by Tad Cummins, suggesting the 50-year-old may have been abusing his role as a teacher to groom Thomas for some time in an effort to lure and potentially sexually exploit her."

That's a CLEAR predator, IMO.

Something just isn't adding up for me either, Mom. Obviously, TC has crossed teacher/student boundaries here...even before the kidnapping. But I'm just not entirely sold on the fact that he's a sexual predator. I can't help but wonder what was going on in this young girl's house, and whether we might have a "hero syndrome" going on here.

I don't see him as a sexual predator myself, and the whole hero syndrome makes perfect sense to me (based on all I've read about this girl's home life), despite how incredibly stupid, illegal and immoral the actions were. Now we'll both get flamed, I guess.

No flaming from me. I can see this scenario.

The only thing is that if you read both of their Instagram accounts, there were a lot of "love" and "ohtheplaceswewouldgo" and "all I want is for you to hold me" etc. etc. I suppose you could dismiss these as not related to what's going on, but I kind of think they were using IG to communicate back and forth to each other.

I also do not think that he is a violent person that would hold ET against her will using a gun. I really don't think he'd even use a gun as a threat to LE if they closed in. This feeling is probably colored by the fact that we have and carry guns a lot.

See? Now I'm the one who will be set on fire lol.

There was an investigation going on. Even the police were involved. There is no reason why the instagram, facebook and other accounts were not part of the investigation.

I hope Elizabeth's father sues the school board and everyone involved.

From all I've read, 1 student made the allegation of inappropriate contact. It was denied by all parties, and even other teachers & adults who know him, never had a single reason to suspect this kind of behavior. Classic he said/she said scenario where a judgement call needs to be made without knowing all the facts. I'm not defending the guy, but AT THE TIME, before what we all know now, there was likely not sufficient cause to dig any deeper into such things like their SM accounts.

The only thing is that if you read both of their Instagram accounts, there were a lot of "love" and "ohtheplaceswewouldgo" and "all I want is for you to hold me" etc. etc. I suppose you could dismiss these as not related to what's going on, but I kind of think they were using IG to communicate back and forth to each other.

I also do not think that he is a violent person that would hold ET against her will using a gun. I really don't think he'd even use a gun as a threat to LE if they closed in. This feeling is probably colored by the fact that we have and carry guns a lot.

RBBM

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks.

I would certainly never flame you!
I do think it's important to point out, that the TBI has said they are very concerned about her safety, as there is evidence he manipulated her for sexual exploitation. They have no reason to embellish that, IMO...and those are definitely words that would define a predator preying on a vulnerable juvenile. I think they've made it pretty clear that he has VERY dangerous intentions with her. All JMO.
http://www.fox13memphis.com/top-sto...5-year-old-abducted-by-her-teacher-/502650036
"The organization said investigative efforts have revealed a troubling pattern of behavior by Tad Cummins, suggesting the 50-year-old may have been abusing his role as a teacher to groom Thomas for some time in an effort to lure and potentially sexually exploit her."

That's a CLEAR predator, IMO.

Is it at all possible the actions of TC toward her were genuinely more of a support role in her life, that now in hindsight, the TBI is suggesting were grooming? I mean, the statement does say "may have been abusing his role as a teacher". I think the only reason I'm questioning this, is because there is literally *nothing* in his background, from anyone or anywhere, to suggest he's a sexual predator. No history at all.

While looking over her IG posts, one stands out because of her caption or comment (I know nothing about IG). The post is "Loving you is like breathing. ..I just can't stop "
She goes on to talk about getting a new bed, and how someone did dirty stuff on her old one and made it gross..

I didn't suggest the school board monitor I said the school should have included that in their investigation, he was an employee and she's a student, why would you not include SM in your investigation?

No I believe it's definitely connected and this is where things crossed the line. At the same time however, this is the identical sort of thing tons of teenage girls post on their SM accounts and much of the time it's not directed "at" anyone at all - it's just stuff they post because they're teenage girls and that's what's on their minds at the time. (hashtag: all the same cheesy hashtags people use when posting cheesy memes, etc.) As for HIS account, as a married, family man, it could have been easily brushed off as assuming he was writing about his wife (although it does look rather immature, coming from a man his age).

We all (and sadly, TC's poor wife) see it NOW only because they've disappeared together.

moo... etc.

Is it at all possible the actions of TC toward her were genuinely more of a support role in her life, that now in hindsight, the TBI is suggesting were grooming? I mean, the statement does say "may have been abusing his role as a teacher". I think the only reason I'm questioning this, is because there is literally *nothing* in his background, from anyone or anywhere, to suggest he's a sexual predator. No history at all.

Man. You have no idea how common this is. I have worked at our county advocacy center for many years and I couldn't possibly count the amount o people (women included, though I only personally worked a case with a woman once. She was teacher.) that have no "history." I don't want to say it's a myth, but a misconception that someone who displayed predatory behavior has to have a physical history. A predator starts somewhere and often it can be with one person, on the internet, or in his own mind until he finally acts. Often abuse happens in a perfect storm type of situation.

I will say, his online history probably reveals a completely different person. That's JMO based on my experience and whatnot.

I'd like to hear more about the nature of their interactions at school. The assumption seems to be he brainwashed her. To me, they both seem pretty brainwashed based on their instagrams.

IMHO (heh!)

This guy is a skanky perv! This is not some star crossed, Romeo & Juliet love story we have here. As I recall, Romeo didn't have a wife and NINE kids, and Grand-kids looking up to pepe!

This is even beyond a mid life crisis on steroids. His Inst reads like a bi-polar mania! Having been in a relationship with a manic-depressive for several ( mind-boggling) years, I actually had flashbacks reading this guys SM!

Hyper-sexuality was a major facet of my ex's episodes, but having no real world experience with mania, I thought it was me that was making his world almost unbearably beautiful and I felt incredibly special and amazing. I eventually learned the hard, painful truth, that I could have been a tree stump, when he was manic, and he would have been similarly enchanted. ~meh~

Not saying there's a mental illness in this case, but that child, had no chance against someone with the power to make her see herself as the most glorious creature God ever created. It is not about how he LOOKS, it's about how he MAKES her FEEL.

(I know the current trend in "wisdom" is to say, "No one can MAKE you *feel*, you CHOOSE to feel...but that's a load of BS imo!)

It's very powerful, like an undertow. I was 31 with good self esteem, and I was blown away... a teen going through an identity crisis stood NO chance against this abuse of power.

His poor family too! #Somethings wrong with the world today :(

I didn't suggest the school board monitor I said the school should have included that in their investigation, he was an employee and she's a student, why would you not include SM in your investigation?

There was a case here in southern Ontario not too long ago about something a student said on their private SM account (posted from home, on their own, personal device), about something going on at school, that the school then used to punish the kid on an academic level. It raised a TON of legal questions about the school system getting involved in personal, private SM accounts of the students, freedom of speech, right to privacy, etc.

To me, this is a huge gray area. Now if an actual crime had been committed at the time, then yes of course SM accounts should be included for a thorough investigation. But at the time, there was no proof of anything, just an allegation from 1 student.

Man. You have no idea how common this is. I have worked at our county advocacy center for many years and I couldn't possibly count the amount o people (women included, though I only personally worked a case with a woman once. She was teacher.) that have no "history." I don't want to say it's a myth, but a misconception that someone who displayed predatory behavior has to have a physical history. A predator starts somewhere and often it can be with one person, on the internet, or in his own mind until he finally acts. Often abuse happens in a perfect storm type of situation.

I will say, his online history probably reveals a completely different person. That's JMO based on my experience and whatnot.

I believe you. Of course I wish you were wrong, because you being right about how predators operate is just creepy. What I meant though, is that I think it's possible TC's actions toward this girl were never originally intended to be predatory in nature, but as a genuine support role for her. I think it's possible the TBI investigation is looking at their prior contact and saying it's possible he may have been grooming her when he actually wasn't. But then obviously at some point, it crossed a line.

I hope that made sense.

As someone who lives in TN, my opinion of TBI is...meh.

Checking here this morning....

Constantly thinking about this girl.

I still can't believe the lack of tips.

I was so sure they'd be found by now.

I'm not going to flame you, in fact I agree that I feel something may have been a miss at the girls home. This may have lead to her being easy prey for this type of situation. Sadly sometimes our pasts can dictate our futures. As adults we can spot things and make necessary changes but a teen often can not, their brains aren't fully developed yet.

While I do think this child is a victim, I can't help but think her home life may have not been that great.

While looking over her IG posts, one stands out because of her caption or comment (I know nothing about IG). The post is "Loving you is like breathing. ..I just can't stop "
She goes on to talk about getting a new bed, and how someone did dirty stuff on her old one and made it gross..

What does the instagram messaging from his end look like? (I don't do instagram, so I'm clueless.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cases