Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC there was only one ping and it was her phone? If it was dropped on a vehicle heading there I would think it would ping at several towers along the route.
Yeah it would, I think it was likely dumped. I have read that cops have been pinging the phone more than once an hour though. I can't link on that or say more until mods answer my question, but ET's sister might can..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Since he took a title loan out on it could the load company, who also then has an interest in the vehicle, report it stolen? I bet they want to recover and get their money back.

Assuming both names (husband and wife) were on the title, I don't think either the wife or the loan company can report the car stolen unless there is proof it was taken, without consent, from both the husband and the wife.

I'm not lawyer and slept in my on bed last night, so, I may be wrong.

The above is my opinion only.

My guess this is the first contact with a child he has made or the cops would know about it by now.

Also I'm willing to say he might not have had bad intent but maybe seeing someone that had a hard time and he let himself cross boundaries and it was a mess before he knew it.

There is a teacher at my sister's school that has always been one all the kids like and I believe he has let boundaries be crossed with the kids, but hasn't done anything. I talked to the principal about it and I wasn't the first. Someone had recently come to them and they had talked to him and that behavior changed. He is young and really relates to the kids and I honestly don't think he was being inappropriate, just not keeping some boundaries, even if to keep himself protected from a false claim.

I could see TC being that way and not being some pedophile that has fought urges his entire life.

I'm open to that, but there is a point where someone has to say "I'm the adult, this is crossing boundaries and I need to get someone to step in here."

With respect, saying "it was a mess before he knew it" portrays the situation as a passive one which TC just sort of fell into - which "happened" to him. It softens his culpability, IMO.

Let's be completely clear: He is a predator. He groomed the child for several months. Just like any child molester does. He worked on her insecurities and exploited her vulnerabilities. ET is within the demographic of a child at risk for sexual abuse. He knew what he was doing, had either had fantasies he reigned in in the past, never encountered a child as receptive to his advances and as uniquely vulnerable to them as ET, or has abused other children in the past and has not gotten caught.

This predator planned this kidnapping for a long time. His communications with the child illustrate a slick con man who knows exactly what he is doing and why, and has carefully manipulated the child for months, to get her where he wanted her.

Why did he take off? Well, he might very well have planned to simply sexually assault her and convince her to keep it quiet, like many molesters do, while remaining at his job and in his position in his family and community. It happens every day, sadly. But, either he may have realized it was all crashing down and being exposed, so he felt he had to run and greedily wanted to take her with him, or he became so obsessed with the "perfect victim" he found, that he took it to another level.

There is zero way, in my mind, that this predator hasn't acted inappropriately with other kids or online. He just hasn't been caught.

"Youths with histories of sexual or physicalabuse, and other troubled youths, may beparticularly vulnerable... Abused youths are more at risk forsexual victimization and exploitation in a variety of ways(Finkelhor, Ormrod, & Turner, 2007; Raj, Silverman, &Amaro, 2000). Abuse history could be related to emotionalneeds or developmental distortions that make some youthsless able to assess and more responsive to inappropriatesexual advances (Berliner & Elliott, 2002; Rogosch, Cicchetti,& Aber, 1995). Some such youths may be vulnerableto online sexual advances because they are looking forattention and affection (Lanning, 2002). In addition, childhoodtrauma is associated with adolescent risk behavior,including risky sexual behavior (Wolfe et al., 2006). Further,the youths interviewed for the YISS-2 who engaged inhigh-risk interactive behavior had high rates of a variety ofoffline problems, including rule-breaking behavior, depression,and social interaction problems at the clinical orborderline level as measured by the Child Behavior Checklist(Wolak et al., in press). So, the youths most at risk mayexhibit a wide range of problems. For some, prior abusemay trigger risky sexual behavior that directly invites onlinesexual advances. But delinquency, depression, andsocial interaction problems unrelated to abuse also mayincrease vulnerability." http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/amp-632111.pdf

• Perpetrators report that they look for passive, quiet, troubled, lonely children from single parent or broken homes (Budin & Johnson 1989).
  • Perpetrators frequently seek out children who are particularly trusting (Conte et al., 1987) and work proactively to establish a trusting relationship before abusing them (Budin & Johnson, 1989; Conte, Wolfe, & Smith, 1989; Elliott et al., 1995; Warner-Kearney, 1987). Not infrequently, this extends to establishing a trusting relationship with the victim’s family as well (Elliott et al., 1995).
  • Family structure is the most important risk factor in child sexual abuse. Children who live with two married biological parents are at low risk for abuse. The risk increases when children live with step-parents or a single parent. Children living without either parent (foster children) are 10 times more likely to be sexually abused than children that live with both biological parents. Children who live with a single parent that has a live-in partner are at the highest risk: they are 20 times more likely to be victims of child sexual abuse than children living with both biological parents (Sedlack, et. al., 2010).
http://www.cachouston.org/child-sexual-abuse-facts/

"Our kidnapping statute says in essence through it's silence on that issue. It's saying that you can be between 13 and 18 and you can legally make the mature decision to leave your family and run off with a person never to be seen again."

http://whnt.com/2017/03/26/tennessee-law-could-protect-suspected-kidnapper-of-elizabeth-thomas/

That's not what the kidnapping statute says though. That might be some political propaganda on the part of the DA but the law does not allow an adult to harbor a runaway. Totally illegal. It's a misdemeanor, but totally illegal.

The question is whether he can be popped for especially aggravated kidnapping which is where they talk about age. It is especially aggravated if the kid is under 13.

Also, as I linked before, federally, he can be charged for taking a minor or person across state lines for the purposes of committing a crime (sexual assault).

I outlined every charge that he may be liable for, on an earlier thread. There is no law that I am aware of in the US that allows an un-related adult, who is not a legal guardian and who does not have the consent of the legal guardian or parents, to take a minor out of the state, whether willingly or not.

This is true - but again, I can try to exculpate/absolve/interpret my little sister all I can. Now tell me this: if the sister KNEW this crap was going on, why did she not tell someone immediately? Why wait until ET was gone? I find it all so confusing. I feel horrible for the sister as well.

She found out later.

Oh, I see. Thus the lecture about the situation being a crime. Got it.
In that case, at least Elizabeth is safer.
Also, maybe not a sexual relationship?
Don't jump all over me peeps but wouldn't it be a good thing if it were not sexual in nature?
Cops have said the emails were "romantic" and sexual in nature, so that ship has sailed.

No, there are numerous groups that go to these areas to build homes, they take anyone, even kids go.
I think going on a mission is different than being a missionary. My nephew's go on home building missions with their church. None of them are missionary's.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I have been following but not posting. I learned a lot from reading ET's father's Twitter account, especially from the tweets/replies to his last post 1 day ago. I'm surprised that information has not gotten more attention.

Assuming both names (husband and wife) were on the title, I don't think either the wife or the loan company can report the car stolen unless there is proof it was taken, without consent, from both the husband and the wife.

I'm not lawyer and slept in my on bed last night, so, I may be wrong.

I don't understand why anyone would need to report it stolen. LE should be able to get anything activated without an issue.

I've been thinking about the phone pinging in Decatur, AL. As previously mentioned, what if this ping was intentional? What if it was intended to mislead everyone into thinking they were headed south, southwest, or southeast? What if they actually turned north after this? Going north doesn't seem likely when you mention Decatur, AL---so, in my mind, I could imagine TC doing exactly that in order to mislead/trick everyone. They would be out of place in Mexico, but what about Canada? How hard is it to cross the Canadian border? Maybe he changed vehicles in Decatur and then proceeded north. Just a thought....

MISSIONARY IN HIDING? Most missionaries have to have a high/college educational status, and extensive training. I think no.

Not at all.

Two that I know of in Belize did have a HS education but no extensive training.

Regardless, there are no official "missionary" papers one would have to have to prove they were a missionary.

In many places, including Central America, that is a great cover.

Oh, I see. Thus the lecture about the situation being a crime. Got it.
In that case, at least Elizabeth is safer.
Also, maybe not a sexual relationship?
Don't jump all over me peeps but wouldn't it be a good thing if it were not sexual in nature?

It would be nice to think, and I believe the people in town are under that impression. However, you don't tell someone they have nice body parts and kiss them if it's not sexual. And I apologize in advance to her sister for saying this. It doesn't mean that I think anything sexual has happened, just putting aside any theory that he's mistakenly trying to "save" her.

With respect, saying "it was a mess before he knew it" portrays the situation as a passive one which TC just sort of fell into - which "happened" to him. It softens his culpability, IMO.

We were covering other scenarios as the post I quoted, said.

TBI director Gwyn said: "Let me be clear. She is 15, a child. He is 50, a grown man. She is a high school freshman. He is a former teacher. This is, and was not, a romance. This was manipulation solely to benefit Tad Cummings. This is not a fairy tale. This is a case of kidnapping."

I think going on a mission is different than being a missionary. My nephew's go on home building missions with their church. None of them are missionary's.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Going on a mission would also be "cover as a missionary" if I heard that from the cops.

"Cops have said the emails were "romantic" and sexual in nature, so that ship is sailed.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk "

I think they walked that back in the PC. The LE who originally said it apologized for using the description earlier and described it as more like grooming IIRC.
TC did make one comment about a "body part"

We're taking one guy's word (TC's former coworker), that TC is a narcissist.
I referred to him as a narcissist in a post too but I'm not a doctor nor do I know TC personally.
These sweeping judgments get out of hand at times imo.

This situation isn't a simple one and many people involved in Elizabeth's life could have done better.
Ultimately, the fifty year old TC is to blame but he has a story too and some of it was good until just recently.
Maybe we'll find out that's not the case later.

I have been following but not posting. I learned a lot from reading ET's father's Twitter account, especially from the tweets/replies to his last post 1 day ago. I'm surprised that information has not gotten more attention.
Normally we can't discuss that but I've posted to a mod asking if we can under these circumstances.

Ok everyone it just popped in my head what if the coffee cup in the pic is a clue look at what's on the cup out of all the coffee cup pics on line why that one I compleat missed that all the times I have seen it and tryed to decipher what his text was saying I say the cup but never really looked at it as anything but a cup
8ef9f27923a7b2f773331aa7f95fe39e.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members