Found Deceased TN - Noah Chamberlin, 2, Pinson, 14 Jan 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short Road Pinson, TN.jpg
This is an actual property photo from public records of the grandparents' property. They have just shy of 50 acres. It looks like a great place for kids to run and play and imagine. The road is wide and at this time of year all deciduous leaves are on the ground opening up visibility. A local poster informed us that the day Noah went missing was a beautiful, sunny day. It was around or just after lunch, so the perfect time for energetic legs to burn off some energy.

I don't know that I'd take a 2 yo and a 4 yo deep in the woods on my own...just me. Was it said 'deep' in the woods or just in the woods behind her home?

I don't know that I'd take a 2 yo and a 4 yo deep in the woods on my own...just me. Was it said 'deep' in the woods or just in the woods behind her home?

"Deep" in the woods was coined by a WS poster, I believe.

View attachment 87587
This is an actual property photo from public records of the grandparents' property. They have just shy of 50 acres. It looks like a great place for kids to run and play and imagine. The road is wide and at this time of year all deciduous leaves are on the ground opening up visibility. A local poster informed us that the day Noah went missing was a beautiful sunny day. It was around or just after lunch, so the perfect time for energetic legs to burn off some energy.

Simply breathtaking. It appears as though they maintain that trail.

I believe it was 700 ft from previous posts, so 0.13 miles.

Craighead Caverns, an extensive system of caves in Sweetwater, Tenn., is home to the world’s second largest underground lake. The subterranean water body is the largest known in the United States and dubbed “The Lost Sea.”

I guess there are water holes are in every part of TN woods.

e91845e548000d647162c753d911f543.jpg

This is said to be the area where they were when he went missing. Apparently they have searched every single area in this picture, I assume they would be searching all directions

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Here is the point of disappearance.

Been unable to get on here today due to being super-busy at work but had Twitter open all day & kept an eye on it. Can't believe I am sat here in my warm house and Noah is STILL missing out there in the cold :(
Playing catch-up on posts now to see what I've missed - thanks to all who have updated during the day :)

Again IF the story is true, what is wrong with her taking the kids "deep into the woods?" Maybe I've been a horrible mom and I'm just finding out? I've taken my kids on lots of nature walks deep in the woods. Maybe it was a nice day (for winter), kids had been cooped up, take them out to burn some energy. What am I missing (assuming it's true)?

Not sure you're missing a thing, really. For years and years we hiked the trails at Algonquin Provincial Park every fall. While I was pregnant (many times), while the babies were in strollers (some trails were not stroller friendly, some were) and when they were as young as Noah - up until they were teens. As adults WE were familiar with every single trail and took every precaution with the kids and taught them what to watch out for as well. If what we've been told is the truth (and I have no reason to believe it's not) then this little boy going missing while grandma had her head turned for a moment talking to his sister is just a tragic turn of events - not her "fault" at all. From what we know, they were on a trail - and likely the rule is - you STAY on the trail at all times.

My heart aches for this entire family. I cannot begin to imagine what they're going through emotionally.

Poor little lamb lost in the woods.
We're praying and lit a candle for you again today Noah!:candle:

The only thing that confuses me is that the leaves are down by now giving sight for far longer than if it were the middle of summer -- this leads me to believe he did fall in a water hole if the accounts are true (and depending on how big, deep, etc ... he could have gotten knocked out or gone under water immediately not being able to scream). BUT, something is setting my hinky meter off ... maybe it's just becoming jaded after too many inconsistent stories from parents/grandparents on WS over the years. JMO

IMO if the trail was that clear and wide and since all the leaves are off the trees, I probably would have taken my 2 & 4 year old out there for a walk too. It was a nice day that day, and she probably wanted the kids to get outdoors. I also don't think it was that deep into the woods especially with that being a pretty nice trail. It's the same scenario as someone taking their kid into a store or the city and taking their eyes off of them for a minute.

The only thing that confuses me is that the leaves are down by now giving sight for far longer than if it were the middle of summer -- this leads me to believe he did fall in a water hole if the accounts are true (and depending on how big, deep, etc ... he could have gotten knocked out or gone under water immediately not being able to scream). BUT, something is setting my hinky meter off ... maybe it's just becoming jaded after too many inconsistent stories from parents/grandparents on WS over the years. JMO

Mine would be set off too by this point, but there was a safe unharmed four year old witness there the entire time. I know this age isn't great with information, but they also aren't great at lying and keeping stories straight. I feel like the sister and witness sort of exclude purposeful harm to Noah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to mention that a deep enough sink hole could definitely keep a small child alive far longer than being exposed to the elements in an open area. It would protect from wind and also be considerably warmer than the earth at ground level. A 4 ft. deep hole would be enough to provide some heat benefits. 6-8 ft would be even better as it would provide more insulation and more protection from the outside air. The ground temperature once you reach 3-4 ft in depth will stay at a pretty consistent 50-55 degrees. It would likely be a bit colder due to exposure to the outside air, but definitely warmer than nothing at all. It would also help delay dehydration. The air would be more moist, therefore less moisture lost during normal respiration. I don't know how much survival time it would add, just that it would be beneficial in a case like this. It wouldn't be a fun fall, but it seems young kids are far less likely to suffer major injuries in falls.

How far was the closest road to where they were walking? How far is a road with heavier use like a highway? If he didn't fall in a hole initially, I'm wondering if once it started getting dark, could he have been close enough to a road to see headlights or hear traffic?

Sadly, that's a massive area and I'm afraid the initial searches the first day or so were lacking. I think initially a toddler wouldn't follow the path of least resistance. They'd follow the path of most interest. I think as they wore down, their path would become more logical, such as following a path or logging road or just a clearing of some sort, but I understand wanting to cover the most amount of ground in the least amount of time possible.

Not sure you're missing a thing, really. For years and years we hiked the trails at Algonquin Provincial Park every fall. While I was pregnant (many times), while the babies were in strollers (some trails were not stroller friendly, some were) and when they were as young as Noah - up until they were teens. As adults WE were familiar with every single trail and took every precaution with the kids and taught them what to watch out for as well. If what we've been told is the truth (and I have no reason to believe it's not) then this little boy going missing while grandma had her head turned for a moment talking to his sister is just a tragic turn of events - not her "fault" at all. From what we know, they were on a trail - and likely the rule is - you STAY on the trail at all times.

My heart aches for this entire family. I cannot begin to imagine what they're going through emotionally.

I completely agree with you --- I'm not sure about all these parents that haven't taken their children for nature walks (in all kinds of weather) ... but I live within miles of a beautiful state park with miles of hiking, climbing, and swimming if you dare. We just went and saw the frozen waterfalls a couple weeks ago (which were not frozen yet, due to our higher than normal temps). BUT .. again ... and I hate to keep beating a dead horse ... especially in the winter --- i can literally see for miles through the woods --- and sure, it's an obstructed view of sort w/ all the trees, but it's a lot less obstructive than in the summer months. You can see deer miles away, foxes on top of the canyons playing ... I just DO NOT see losing a child within seconds ... minutes, yes .. seconds, no way. I'm not saying the g-ma is guilty of anything, I'm just wondering if she took a girl to potty somewhere and the boy was then lost when they came back, or something of that scenario. Not that it really matters, I don't see anything nefarious, I just think he could of went a million different directions in a matter of 5-10 minutes ... not with the turn of a head.

I'm generally jaded too, but in this case, there was a four year old there too who would have been able to say if Noah had been with them or if anything had happened to him.

Sometimes hinky meter's misfire. When that happens, it's time to turn it off, IMO. Just because a small child cannot be found in a forest shouldn't cause a hinky meter to go off when everything else says there's nothing hinky whatsoever. JMVSO.<modsnip>

Mine would be set off too by this point, but there was a safe unharmed four year old witness there the entire time. I know this age isn't great with information, but they also aren't great at lying and keeping stories straight. I feel like the sister and witness sort of exclude purposeful harm to Noah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

absolutely! I really don't think he is purposely missing, I'm just wondering if the turn of a head was actually minutes instead of seconds -- which would make the search area entirely bigger!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee