Found Deceased TN - Noah Chamberlin, 2, Pinson, 14 Jan 2016 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok.. We still have two more weeks here in Alabama. Thanks for clearing that up .

Question: Is it safe to say that if he would have fallen into a tree stump hole that he would be kept warmer than he would if he was outside that hole? I'm assuming he would be kept warmer.

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to mention that a deep enough sink hole could definitely keep a small child alive far longer than being exposed to the elements in an open area. It would protect from wind and also be considerably warmer than the earth at ground level. A 4 ft. deep hole would be enough to provide some heat benefits. 6-8 ft would be even better as it would provide more insulation and more protection from the outside air. The ground temperature once you reach 3-4 ft in depth will stay at a pretty consistent 50-55 degrees. It would likely be a bit colder due to exposure to the outside air, but definitely warmer than nothing at all. It would also help delay dehydration. The air would be more moist, therefore less moisture lost during normal respiration. I don't know how much survival time it would add, just that it would be beneficial in a case like this. It wouldn't be a fun fall, but it seems young kids are far less likely to suffer major injuries in falls.

How far was the closest road to where they were walking? How far is a road with heavier use like a highway? If he didn't fall in a hole initially, I'm wondering if once it started getting dark, could he have been close enough to a road to see headlights or hear traffic?

Sadly, that's a massive area and I'm afraid the initial searches the first day or so were lacking. I think initially a toddler wouldn't follow the path of least resistance. They'd follow the path of most interest. I think as they wore down, their path would become more logical, such as following a path or logging road or just a clearing of some sort, but I understand wanting to cover the most amount of ground in the least amount of time possible.

This was posted earlier and I found it very informative. Hope this answers your question, omalley.

FYI for viewing guests; when a new thread is started just click on
WS Forum Moderator KateB's highlighted link above and it will take you there..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member