Found Deceased TN - Sequoia Samuels, 4, Memphis, 15 Jun 2023 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JUN 22, 2023
The Ride of Tears organization, who pays tribute to children killed from violence in the City of Memphis, rode Wednesday in honor of Sequoia Samuels and the four children killed in an apartment fire in South Memphis in May.

The group held a press conference Tuesday, and rode Wednesday from the Southgate shopping center to the location where the children were killed in the fire. They also wanted to honor the memory of four-year-old Sequoia Samuels.

In addition to honoring their lives, the group is also demanding the City of Memphis, and state leaders, do more to address the issues of violence towards children.

[...]

JUN 27, 2023
The case against Jaylon Hobson, charged with false reporting in the death of 4-year-old Sequoia Samuels, is headed to the Grand Jury.

During a court hearing Tuesday, June 27, 2023, the false reporting charge, as well as a previous case against Hobson involving drug and weapon charges, was sent to the grand jury.

Hobson remains in jail on $50,000 bond in the Samuels’ case. No bond was set in the other case.

A mental evaluation was ordered during a court hearing last week for Samuels’ mother Brittney Jackson. Her bond was set at $500,000 on charges of child neglect, abuse of a corpse, and false offense reporting.

[...]

Shelby County prosecutors said they will now work with MPD to get more information to present to a grand jury for Hobson’s indictment. Prosecutors said more charges are expected.

Hobson remains in jail on a $50,000 bond in this case. He’s also facing gun, drugs and trespassing charges in another case.

JUL 2, 2023
[...]

Though she lived a short life, they said she overcame many obstacles.

"We celebrated together anytime she made progress," Sequoia's grandfather Clayton Jackson said. "From when she took her first steps, to saying her first words."

Sequoia had a medical condition that caused her to need a feeding tube.

[...]

"Someone snatched my heart out of my chest, and nobody can replace that every day," Jackson said. "I wish it was a dream."

[...]

Jackson, who was arrested in the death of Sequoia Samuels, is facing charges of abuse of a corpse, aggravated child abuse and neglect, and making a false report.

On the morning of June 15, Jackson told police that Sequoia, who had a feeding tube on the left side of her stomach, was missing from their North Memphis home.

An extensive search involving the Memphis Police Department, the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office, and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation followed.

Later that night, Sequoia’s remains were found in the 200 block of Caldwell Avenue. Jackson reportedly told police that her boyfriend, 21-year-old Jaylon Hobson, beat Sequoia to death and that Sequoia had been dead for several weeks.

Memphis Police say Sequoia’s body was found in a garbage bag.

During Thursday’s brief court hearing, a judge ordered Jackson to return to court on October 5. Jackson’s attorney, Kenneth Brashier, previously requested that Jackson undergo a mental evaluation, which was granted. There has been no word on the status of the evaluation.

Jackson is currently still in the Shelby County Jail on a $500,000 bond. Hobson, who is currently charged with making a false report, is in jail on a $50,000 bond.

OCT 5, 2023
A mental evaluation for Brittney Jackson, the mother charged in the death of her 4-year-old daughter, has determined she is mentally competent to move forward in her case, according to her attorney.

Jackson’s case in the death of Sequoia Samuels is now headed to a grand jury.

In court on Thursday, Jackson waived her right to a preliminary hearing and her attorney explained why:

“In her best interest, and because we’ve kind of waited, the risk just didn’t seem like worth the reward,” said Kenneth Brashier. “So what we decided today was to basically skip the preliminary hearing, waive that, and we’ll now be waiting on an indictment as far as the charges. I think it’s just kind of a wait-and-see. I expect the charges to be probably more serious than the present charges.”

Brashier also said his client’s mental health was a factor in waiving the hearing.

Shortly after Jackson’s arrest, she was placed on suicide watch. Brashier says with Jackson now finding some peace, he did not want her back “where she was day one.”

Samuels, a 4-year-old girl with a feeding tube, was reported missing on June 15, 2023. Authorities said they found the child's body soon after decomposing in trash bags.

Police said that Jackson and her boyfriend at the time Jaylon Hobson told officers that the girl walked away from home in Uptown.

When authorities found Samuels' body, they said the girl had been dead for weeks.

Sequoia’s grandmother, Tara Samuels, said her family is pleased with the indictment.

“I’m glad they got first-degree murder,” Tara said. “We got to take it to trial. But I want it to be all over with. I just don’t want her name to go in vain.”

1697986637008-jpeg.455100

A probable cause affidavit revealed that investigators believe Sequoia had died “several weeks” before the couple reported her missing. During police questioning, Jackson allegedly confessed to filing a false report and disclosed that Hobson had physically attacked Sequoia multiple times over weeks, culminating in her death.

Attachments

• 1697986637008.jpeg
    1697986637008.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 181
Always about that damn check! IMO
IMO, that's exactly why she didn't give up custody... The check. I was surprised the cousin even mentioned that, that's where she went wrong.

Most people will call DFCS/DSS when they witness child abuse. Am I right
that criminal charges will only be filed if DFCS/DSS goes to authorities with their findings?
I think 911 should be called instead. Police can begin investigating immediately and perhaps make an arrest before further abuse takes place. This also places another level of accountability on child protective services, as well as another "witness" for the child for any court cases.
I wonder if Sweet Sequoia had a CASA assigned and if so, what were his/her recommendations.
I'm hoping mom and the boyfriend spend the rest of their lives locked up, getting abused on a daily basis, and the same to follow when they get to hell.

Noting:
  • Her public defender confirmed she has made arrangements with a family member to take custody of the baby when it is born.
  • Jackson pleaded not guilty to the charges she’s facing, including first-degree murder.
  • Hobson appeared in court without an attorney Monday.
  • Both suspects are due back in court on Jan. 8 (bond hearing for Jackson, and a deadline for Hobson to have an attorney hired before a public defender is appointed).
  • Jackson and Hobson both remain in Shelby County Jail without bond.

JAN 8, 2024
Both the woman facing multiple charges in the death of her 4-year-old child is due in court today, Jan. 8, as is a man also charged in the case.

[...]

Jackson's court date today could involve discussion of bail with lawyers and the judge.

Jaylon Hobson, 21, Jackson's boyfriend at the time of the child's death, will also appear before a judge was charged with making a false report.

[...]

No trial date has been set for either of them.

[...]

FEB 29, 2024
A woman charged along with her boyfriend in the violent death of her 4-year-old daughter is now being held on a $1 million bond.

In October, Brittney Jackson, 25, and Jaylon Hobson, 22, were indicted on charges of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect, abuse of a corpse, tampering with evidence, and making a false report in the death of Sequoia Samuels.

[...]

The couple was indicted in October, and Hobson’s bond was revoked.

Jackson is due back in court for a hearing on April 18.

JUL 3, 2024
[...]

Brashier said neither his team nor Shelby County prosecutors have received the finalized autopsy report, and they are also still going through evidence.

“There are statements that were alleged to been made by different people,” he explained. “We need those statements. There are videos that are alleged to have been taken. We need those videos. There are pictures that are alleged to have been taken. We need those pictures. This is not unusual, not to have all of those things. It’s a slow process gathering all of this discovery.”

[...]

At Jackson’s last court appearance in November, she appeared pregnant.

Her attorney said she’s since delivered her newest baby, and her family has custody of the child.

[...]

Doesn't this just warm your heart to hear after she had her baby rotting in the house with her other 3 young children?
“Brittney’s doing great,” Brashier explained. “She’s really had some time to get back to being Brittney. She was under the impression of this co-defendant/ex-boyfriend of hers for so long that she forgot who she was. Jail’s not a place that people like to be that she’s able to be herself there now.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back